just as i started to have fun...(and happy new year, everyone!)- Mtbr.com
    the half breed devil

just as i started to have fun...(and happy new year, everyone!)

my managers have decided it's OK for me to return to my job on modified duty following four months of recovery.

this means a lot less weekday daylight riding until the clocks change and a whole lot more battery charging after i feel confident enough to trail ride after dark.

(forward/upward ROM is still in the 115-120 degree range)

this is all OK, because when i work every day and get paid a pretty decent salary every two weeks, i can continue to buy things like dropper seatposts, new wheelsets, suspension forks and other stuff (after i pay my medical bills, of course). thank goodness for retail jobs with good benefits!

but at any rate, damn! even though i can't ride almost every day during the day like i want to, all good things--if dislocating your strong shoulder is a good thing--must come to an end, even if the good thing is keeping to mellow trails and going on photo shoots until i'm able to move my arm another ten or twenty degrees more. i gotta work and make money and pay them bills, friends. life goes on.

you won't see me posting so much on MTBR during daylight hours anymore but trust me, my passion will still be here...taking me back up to mt tam since i didn't make it up there last year, back to downieville (i'm gonna love that place on my new bike), maybe a lot more east bay riding and hopefully another look at montana de oro down by san luis obispo.

while i'm working and regaining my strength and stability, you guys keep riding and posting. thanks for all your past good words and happy new year and happy trails to each and every one of 'ya!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails just as i started to have fun...(and happy new year, everyone!)-img_3368.jpg  

Co Springs
    Best to you and your continued recovery !

You gotta keep earning to pay them bills AND BUY NEW TOYS !!

I was down and out for most of this week with that damn bug going around, didn't even want to look at the computer or post but here I am feeling a lot better. I can do a lot of posting / perusal via work since I'm on the computers and monitoring etc... all hours.

Sounds like you have the right attitude ... ride first / post when you can.

I heard a vaccination joke the other day
    Ö but some won't get it .

mtbr member
    With my shoulder surgery I went back to work on desk duty almost immediately, I wasn't able to ride my bike until about the time I was on full duty. I would have loved a mini biking vacation.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by RobLyman View Post
    With my shoulder surgery I went back to work on desk duty almost immediately, I wasn't able to ride my bike until about the time I was on full duty. I would have loved a mini biking vacation.
    yeah, my employer was very much concerned about me re-injuring myself, since on my job there's very little desk duty and my duties include handling large pieces of furniture and some pretty heavy boxes. i really wasn't able to move my arm much until november and i dislocated in september.

when i turned fifty, i got laid off and got a nice severance check from the company, part of which i used to buy a brand new bike. i was able to live on unemployment extensions
    for pretty much a year, and put in about 4500 miles--mostly off road--during 2012.

yup, immersing yourself in the sport regardless of the amount of time is a truly wonderful thing.

Young, Shawn Young
    I recognize those stretches! Its been 60 days for me. I feel that i have most of my mobility back and good strength although I wonder when Ill be able to support my own body weight for push ups. I don't really seem close for that. I'm eye balling early spring for my first ride.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon View Post
    I recognize those stretches! Its been 60 days for me. I feel that i have most of my mobility back and good strength although I wonder when Ill be able to support my own body weight for push ups. I don't really seem close for that. I'm eye balling early spring for my first ride.
    if you do one thing, stay on your physical therapy!

you're lucky you have most of your ROM back; i ended up with an impingement and have been given three cortisone shots to date.

best of luck and positive vibes your way, brother!

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    if you do one thing, stay on your physical therapy!

you're lucky you have most of your ROM back; i ended up with an impingement and have been given three cortisone shots to date.

best of luck and positive vibes your way, brother!
    Thanks man, same to you!
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

I didn't do it
    Good work shekky. Your routine is about to change but that's a good thing - it means you're getting there!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Bikesexual
    Good deal Shekky! Congrats!

Looking forward to your riding posts.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Good work shekky. Your routine is about to change but that's a good thing - it means you're getting there!
    Baby steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Great job Shekky. You rode through it while staying smart about the kind of riding you allowed yourself to do. I'm sure that was a challenge to hold yourself back with your new cool bike. No doubt your recovery was sped up by your physical activity.
    18" rigid Unit