mtbr member
    Mar 2010

just got back..anyone else do this????

ok so i've noticed that NO MATTER WHAT i always have my pointer finger on the break levers

WTF haha

i mean like even when i'm pushing up lol

please tell me someone else does this

EDIT :
    and i dont mean like i'm startled or afraid of what i'm doing..... ok lets go with 90% of the time
    i used to be a hot tar roofer, ya i remember that......day.

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    Yep, it started when I raced dirt bikes and it's just something I automatically do as soon as I put my hands on the grips.
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

mtbr dismember

Pointer finger?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly32
    ok so i've noticed that NO MATTER WHAT i always have my pointer finger on the break levers
    Well you can point with any finger so that is not helpful. But you should not break [sic] your levers.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Well you can point with any finger so that is not helpful. But you should not break [sic] your levers.
    Liek OMG ur SEEEWWWW funny. Nawt.

Call me crazy, but I understood exactly what the OP meant. By the way:

"Index finger" literally means "pointing finger", from the same Latin source as indicate; its anatomical names are either "index finger" or "second digit".

To the OP. I usually almost always have my index fingers on the brake levers, unless its a grueling climb, then I usually just grab the handlebars with all fingers.

dirtbag
    cool story bro...
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Back in the days when I had flat bars on my bikes, I covered the brakes with my middle finger. Advantage: being able to cover the brakes while maintaining a thumb/index finger cradle on the grips. Whether giving everyone coming at you the upside-down bird is an advantage or disadvantage has yet to be determined.
    For me, riding bikes is not a hobby, it is a way of life.
    http://natureofmtness.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I also have my pointer finger on my brake levers all the time, but I've pondered whether I should? Lately I have been trying not to, so when I encounter an obstacle I'm less likely to pull the brakes and pogo over the bars. Rather, I have been gripping the bars with all digits (for more control), go light with the front end and let m suspension tackle the issue...

mtbr member
    I've noticed that I ride most of the time with my finger (middle finger in my case) at the ready on the brake lever, even going up hill. Don't really need it going up, I guess it's just instinctual. It doesn't really hurt anything, so it's no big deal I guess.

Members who have read this thread: 0