just found out today.....- Mtbr.com

Oct 2004

just found out today.....

that my boss is a big MT bike dude. and we are going to ride on saturday at one of my favorite spots (that he has never ridden before) do i tell him about the 5 foot drop off at the end of this one downhill that immediately goes into a steep bank, or do i just let him find out for himself. the pissed off employee in my wants him to crash and burn, but the "i want to keep my job" part of me wants to tell him.

*sidenote* everyone, EVERYONE i have taken to this place crashed the first time they see this drop, they freak slam on brakes and go over the bars. i know, i did it too my first time.

mtbr member

Easy...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTheSaint
    that my boss is a big MT bike dude. and we are going to ride on saturday at one of my favorite spots (that he has never ridden before) do i tell him about the 5 foot drop off at the end of this one downhill that immediately goes into a steep bank, or do i just let him find out for himself. the pissed off employee in my wants him to crash and burn, but the "i want to keep my job" part of me wants to tell him.

*sidenote* everyone, EVERYONE i have taken to this place crashed the first time they see this drop, the freak slam on brakes and go over the bars. i know, i did it too my first time.
    You go first and let er rip. If he can follow, great. If he stacks all you have to do is say,
    " I showed you how. What more do you want?" Have fun.
    For what it's worth, I would tell any new riders I brought along about a major trail feature if I thought they might get hurt. Do you really want to see your boss go down that bad?

Oct 2004
    he made me work on fathers day (while my father was in Intensive Care after major surgery) to fix a problem that he said he could fix. bc he had a "prior engagement", i found out later from his secretary that is was golf. so yeah, i would not mind to see him wreck at least once.

mtbr member
    he made me work on fathers day (while my father was in Intensive Care after major surgery) to fix a problem that he said he could fix. bc he had a "prior engagement", i found out later from his secretary that is was golf. so yeah, i would not mind to see him wreck at least once.
    It sounds like time for "follow the leader" Better bring band-aids!

Rolling
    HUH? So why are you going biking with him if you are resentful?

You should keep your professional views separate from your personal interactions and just ride. Don't try to show him up or bring a chip with you.

jrm
    mtbr member

It doesnt sound like such a good idea

especially if you resent him. it really sounds like you are trying to set him up or something in order to get back at him for making you work on dads day when your dad was hospitalized.

IMO i wouldnt go there.......

Oct 2004
    thats the thing, he saw my bike on my rack when we were both leaving work. and he promted the conversation. so he asked me if i want to go ride and i say yeah, he is my boss.

Rolling
    thats the thing, he saw my bike on my rack when we were both leaving work. and he promted the conversation. so he asked me if i want to go ride and i say yeah, he is my boss.
    Ok. Maybe he respects you for your work and likes you despite how you feel about him..and that is why he wants to ride with you. IMO, if you have some issues that are making you feel uncomfortable, you might want to find a time someday to tell him. And if going riding with him makes you feel uncomfortable, you might want to tell him that. Don't let his position create tension and power over you in your personal life. This is exactly why so many women put up with sexual harassment.
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-21-2004 at 01:48 PM.

Al.
    Hooligan
    Hopefully your boss does not frequent MTBR.com..........

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Al.
    Hopefully your boss does not frequent MTBR.com..........
    Ha Ha, good point. Jimmy, looks to me that you are a fairly young guy, learn NOT to burn bridges now, it will help you a lot in the future.

rack admirer

draw the line at having sex with him

Its ok to ride with him.
    I have been in similar circumstances. I used my old back up bike, not to be flashy. As trail guide, you should point out surprises such as turns and drops. After that, fly the drop and see what happens. If he takes the bait on something over his head, he should know better. I would usually walk such drops for my first time around until I am comfortable.
    BTW golf and MTB are opposite activities, he is probably a poser in one of them. Also, on fathers day, he may have expected you to "push back" if it was really important to you.
    MCM # 57

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo
    As trail guide, you should point out surprises such as turns and drops. After that, fly the drop and see what happens. If he takes the bait on something over his head, he should know better.
    Exactly. Point it out, launch the jump and he will be sure to follow. His ego wouldn't let him do anything else. Then give him a hand after he stacks and don't make a big deal of it. Then you'll have the POWER!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Dec 2003

take pictures

Could come in handy some day

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Exactly. Point it out, launch the jump and he will be sure to follow. His ego wouldn't let him do anything else. Then give him a hand after he stacks and don't make a big deal of it. Then you'll have the POWER!
    LOL ...and wonder what if....???

A long time ago when I was 25, my boss, who was heavy and in his late thirties invited me to ski. I skiied all the time and he was complaining how he works too hard and hadn't skiied in a year. I thought I was going to school him.

We went to the bumpiest run and I say, "go ahead", thinking I didn't want to show him up. He immediately dropped in and ripped a line down the moguls like a pro, hitting some nice air here and there, keeping perfect flow.....I felt that huge lump in my throat as I swallowed the assumption that I had been chewing on in anticipation of being his master that day.

PITY THE FOOL!
    BTW golf and MTB are opposite activities, he is probably a poser in one of them. QUOTE]

Not always. See Lidarman's post for problems with assumptions.

FORE!!
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Currently in Exile

Only ride w/him if you really want too.

But, seeing as you have already committed to the ride, you should treat him as you would any other friend riding this trail for the first time. Who knows, this may be your back door into the good ole boy network.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    when I was back in school I had a part time job that I worked at. I found out that my boss likes to ride too...so he invited me out.. At work I'd though he was always kinda stand-offish and cold. It turned out he ended up being a pretty cool guy... He was just that "way" at work Outside of that he was a different person.. He introduced to me to some of the best and largest riding spots in the area, and in some ways introduced me to what real Mtb was... I had just bought a FS bike from Walmart... 50lb tank with non-functional suspension (you all know the bike). (point being I thought I would toast him in the woods , haha little did I know

Just try to detach yourself from the "boss" figure and see what happens...if he turns out to be a dick then that's a different story, but most people should get a chance... you never know.... unless the drop is blind I wouldnt bother mentioning it... He'll see it and either walk it , or try riding it... The good ole boy thing certainly cant hurt either....
    Good luck and enjoy your ride...

the wrench
    lol, interesting scenario.. i think u guys will find this interesting. i work in a bike shop and my boss(owner) doesnt even ride a bike and really has no interest to. but my shop manager on the other hand shares the passion and usually there on group rides after work

Preemptive Revenger

My $0.02

a) warn him, as you would anybody, of any dangerous spots where you fear he might hurt himself because of his unfamiliarity of the trail. If you are negligent in this, then you are the lowest of the low - period.

b) know that Lidarman speaketh the truth: "you should keep your professional views separate from your personal interactions and just ride. Don't try to show him up or bring a chip with you."

c) maybe he's a dick and you never ride together again. Or, maybe this is a chance to build a personal relationship, and the beginning of a chance to to talk about your frustrations.

Either way, take it slow; don't have an agenda of either resentment or sucking up for the ride, it's just 2 dudes goin' for a ride.

Reminds me of a joke:
    What's the difference between a brown-noser and a kiss-ass?
    Depth perception.
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain