Jerseys: Flashy or Low Key?- Mtbr.com

May 2004

Jerseys: Flashy or Low Key?

Today I unearthed an old bike bag ,full of tight spandex stuff, and all sorts of expensive flashy jerseys: like Primal Wear, etc. Most of it is moth eaten and in other states of disrepair, but looking at that bag, I wonder what kind of mountainbiker I was trying to be.

Now, I just wear baggies and simple, low key jerseys (with wicking quality). Buy that stuff cheap in bulk from price point, etc.

I think I'm over the idea of being a "male model" on the trails.

So, what do you like: flashy or low-key?

ricardo

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    i like "flashy" if it is a club or event or bike brand or similar jersey. also lycra with those. otherwise baggies and nondiscrept one color jerseys. in otherwords michelin man or ac/dc or some lizard doesn't do it for me. i do have the primal jersey with the tanks and army insignias on it tho.

Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo41
    Low-key all the way!!
    Baggy shorts and black t-shirts or a riding jersey with plain colours/simple patterns.
    The only lycra i wear is under my shorts, the kind with chamois for extra comfort.
    You gotta bring it if you wear those flashy race tops i think. Besides, they just dont do it for me, i am a low-key sort of guy.
    However i don't mind some of those Primal jerseys, they are kind of out there!

Who's that guy?
    Waiting for the inevitable 'Bikerfox' images...

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkan
    Waiting for the inevitable 'Bikerfox' images...

This ok??
    Attached Images Attached Images

chainpain
    Feb 2005
    Never anything wrong about looking good. It is way easier to stick to some basic colors, than trying to match the entire color palette. Whenever I buy new clothes, I prefer few colors over the jackson pollock variant. That doesn't mean the stuff has to be cheap.

For races it is an entirely different story. Most I know use their team jerseys. Now, team jerseys can be a pain combining with other color schemes. If you want to go safe, opt for a lot of black when picking out new stuff.

I have a primal wear jersey as well, it was a bargain. It looks good when it is the only flashy part of my costume, seeing as combining the pattern with anything else is impossible.

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by mr plow
    This ok??

Geez, that guy gives me the creeps...and yet...somehow...I still laugh everytime I see his pics.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkan

Geez, that guy gives me the creeps...and yet...somehow...I still laugh everytime I see his pics.
    I am intrigued by him. He truly is serious and dedicated to his cause.
    Trev!

Trail rider and racer
    I like minimal jerseys but still with a bit of flair to them. I love the RBR and MTBR jerseys and like the likes of the Italian National uniform and then something like the Quickstep road kit.

The bright pink T Mobile is also a favorite of mine. It just stands out!
    Trev!

Rollin' a fatty
    Flashy and off course MTBR or beer related.

Who's that guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I am intrigued by him. He truly is serious and dedicated to his cause.
    I agree...he definately has good intentions. Whether or not he hits the target doesn't really matter, at least he is taking a shot at it.

Kudos to him.

Still creepy though.

mtbr member

Whatever my wife buys me........

Most of my bike cloths are presents. Spandex beats baggies for function any day but I still wear baggies some times (not my first choice).

Is an IF jersey flashy? That is the only one I ever bought and only after I had the IF built. I think it is more braggie than flashy.......... I wear it least of all.

You buy bike cloths in bulk? How many do you need to buy that way? My last for years and years so I do not understand the bulk comment at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I like 'em pimped out...

how are these???

Apr 2004
    I like flashy jerseys if they're nice...but usually I can't find the ones I like in my size... there are some really nice womens jerseys out there, but the bike shops never bring them in... so otherwise I like the nice simple Mountain Equipment Coops jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo41
    Today I unearthed an old bike bag ,full of tight spandex stuff, and all sorts of expensive flashy jerseys: like Primal Wear, etc. Most of it is moth eaten and in other states of disrepair, but looking at that bag, I wonder what kind of mountainbiker I was trying to be.

Now, I just wear baggies and simple, low key jerseys (with wicking quality). Buy that stuff cheap in bulk from price point, etc.

I think I'm over the idea of being a "male model" on the trails.

ricardo

paintbucket
    I get a good discount from my shop and they move me to the front of the line if they can, so I wear their jersey most of the time. My preference is for something between flashy and a solid color. Sort of understated flash like this old Sugoi jersey. Sadly no one makes anything like it anymore.

When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Mar 2005
    Here is my favourite riding jersey!!!!
    I made it myself!!

mtbr member
    I never wore a jersey in my entire life. Either a cotton t-shirt or a coolmax shirt depending on how long and hard a ride it's gonna be.

Freshly Fujified

I like my Primal Wear

Maybe it's tacky, maybe not.....
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

MFin' Princess
    Here is my favourite riding jersey!!!!
    I made it myself!!
    Dude, I sheet you not, I have that sticker on my truck! I only wish they made jerseys like that! Why don't they? You know what would rock? OS punk jerseys. I'd love something with the Misfits ghost or some crap like that. All that primal wear stuff blows. Personally, I ride with as little as possible. Too dang hot most days in the season for sleeves. I don't know how people take it.

Feb 2005
    I wear soccer jerseys. The low end ones from Adidas are my favorite - climalite or climacool material.

mtbr member
    I don't like to spend money on jerseys. I wear what ever is clean. I could care less how I match at the club ride.

I have a few team jerseys I've collected from racing. I also have a bunch of jerseys from this place.

www.longscycle.com

I do tend to choose a bright jersey for riding on the road. I hope it reduces my chance of being hit by a car.

Glad to Be Alive
    low key indeed
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

get this one

the best

Keep The Rubber Side Down

No, that's just wrong...

This ok??

...on so many different levels.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Flashy

My attitude is that if I'm not a great rider, I should at least look good. Here are some examples of my current wardrobe.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    never buy a solid red jersey

I've noticed that the jerseys with all the logos and company names end up being less flashy than say, a solid light blue or red jersey.....

My favorire is the bellwether assault jersey. Fits perfectly and comes in low key colors like dark blue and grey.

Maybe I'm just a self conscious person .....

but I ride better when I feel good about myself and don't feel silly - looking (if that is even a word )

rsutyb

cyclemaven.net

I hate pink

hate hate hate....

But I'm a small woman, so since my ONLY choices seem to be pink(hate hate hate), black (hot hot hot in socal), periwinkle (like, but can only handle so much of), grey or camo, my outfits are akin to that of a 12- year old boy.
    Or so I've been told (and mistaken for). Again and again and a.....

I've learned to embrace my inner (12-year-old boy) child.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm a cheap bastage so mine are all low key so I'm not advertising my cheapness.

My current favorite long sleeve riding jersey isn't even a cycling jersey at all. It's a Starter brand undershirt made to resemble the UnderArmor stuff I got on clearance at Wal-Mart. I bought mine a size to big so the sleeves don't ride up and isn't tight like it's supposed to be but it's definitely the most comfortable jersey I've owned yet. It's warm and breathes really well. Pair it up with a lightweight vest like a Pearl Izumi Zephhr and a deFeet sleeveless undershirt and I'm golden.

Bent, not broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    I've learned to embrace my inner (12-year-old boy) child.
    Thats totally unfair - you can embrace a 12 year old boy, but Michael Jackson can't...

I know a couple women that suffer ill-fitting mens jerseys because the womens stuff makes 'em gag.
    I got no new tricks, yeah I'm up on bricks but me
    I'm a machine and I was built to last - Frank Turner.

mtbr member
    Well depends on what you call flashy. If you mean bright colours or dark monotone colours, I'd have to say I prefer some colour but do wear more montone (brown/black baggies) I buy what's cheapest - got a couple Addidas jersey's and whatever else I could get on sale. I like bright colours so I'm a bit more visable when riding on the rode between trails/tracks or commuting, especially around dusk. I'd love to afford some of that Primal Wear stuf but they're WAY to expensive for me - most of my jerseys cost $30 or under.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Flashy and off course MTBR or beer related.
    LOL, I own 2 Primals, but they are too flashy, maybe even roadie-ish, I never where'em. However, as for the quote; I DO wear a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale jersey. Yes it's a little flashy, but it's a cool kind of flashy.
    The point I'm tryin to make is; Jerseys are functional, and they are very comfortable, but you can really look like a douchebag if you wear the wrong one.

Currently in Exile

Flashy

But I have been moving towards conservative. My fave right now is red w/ a herringbone pattern. I got it from the Louis Garneau outlet in Newport Vermont for FREE with the purchase of $100.00 of other stuff. If only the shoes that I got that day had held up as well as that jersey has.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea