I'm outta' here....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I'm outta' here....

No, not MTBR, although I guess I have voted against the new format caues I don't post much anymore and many days go by without even logging on. Change is good.

Which brings me to where I'm out of. Here being my current job.

I've preached on enough occasions that if you don't like your job, you can always quite. So, that is about what I did. You have to do a cost/benefit analysis and decide what is best for you and putting up with a job that gives me chest pains (really) and has me awake at 3:30 am thinking about what has to be done is not worth it.

So, I looked hard and found a new job in the company (agency really) that pays less but will allow me to make my own hours, make decisions, not be micro managed and get home in time to ride everyday after work. It is a one year assignment and technically I have to return to my present position after it is over but one year out of here is worth it and the reality is that most of the time these temporary assignments turn permanent.

They say you shouldn't burn your bridges but that is a crutch. Hell, blow the piss out of 'em so you can't come back. It just might make for a more intellegent decision and force you to do something you might have avoided.

Anyway, in two years I can retire if I do return to the POS job. Can I live on the pension I would get by leaving early, well, no but there is always Wally World to work in or Home Depot or whatever.

Planning on putting some of the unexpected tax refund to use on a new road bike. While my heart leads me towards an IF road frame to go with the IF Steel Deluxe MTB I already have, my wallet and brain says the Giant Composite 2 is one heck of a buy at $1800.

First a new longboard though. That was always in the plans for this summer. Besides, TurboB!tch plans to use some of the refund to have the floors refinished. Too damned practical but the right thing to do.

Enjoy the weekend. Maybe I'll have more time to post in the new position.

Peace

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Congrats and good luck.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    No, not MTBR, although I guess I have voted against the new format caues I don't post much anymore and many days go by without even logging on. Change is good.

Which brings me to where I'm out of. Here being my current job.

I've preached on enough occasions that if you don't like your job, you can always quite. So, that is about what I did. You have to do a cost/benefit analysis and decide what is best for you and putting up with a job that gives me chest pains (really) and has me awake at 3:30 am thinking about what has to be done is not worth it.

So, I looked hard and found a new job in the company (agency really) that pays less but will allow me to make my own hours, make decisions, not be micro managed and get home in time to ride everyday after work. It is a one year assignment and technically I have to return to my present position after it is over but one year out of here is worth it and the reality is that most of the time these temporary assignments turn permanent.

They say you shouldn't burn your bridges but that is a crutch. Hell, blow the piss out of 'em so you can't come back. It just might make for a more intellegent decision and force you to do something you might have avoided.

Anyway, in two years I can retire if I do return to the POS job. Can I live on the pension I would get by leaving early, well, no but there is always Wally World to work in or Home Depot or whatever.

Planning on putting some of the unexpected tax refund to use on a new road bike. While my heart leads me towards an IF road frame to go with the IF Steel Deluxe MTB I already have, my wallet and brain says the Giant Composite 2 is one heck of a buy at $1800.

First a new longboard though. That was always in the plans for this summer. Besides, TurboB!tch plans to use some of the refund to have the floors refinished. Too damned practical but the right thing to do.

Enjoy the weekend. Maybe I'll have more time to post in the new position.

Peace
    I kinda understand how you feel, but in the opposite way. I love my job, the pay is alright meaning that I ain't starving to death and have a roof over my head, BUT I hate the area and long to move back home. Unfortunately, jobs other than Wal Mart or McD's are hard to find. I plan to retire at the earliest opportunity and move back on my little pension also. Work somewhere, hell maybe open my own bike repair shop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Yup

RARELY check this board anymore. Even more rarely post or reply. Was bored with nytimes.com this am, so here I am...

You're doing the right thing. Life's too short. I was laid off from a high-stress and high-paying job almost a year ago. Frightening start, returning to the world of being self-employed. (I'm a writer and creative director in marketing communications). But it turns out that it was the right thing. Sleeping better, riding more and even getting enough work to keep cable modem operating.

Ride on, brutha. Ride on.

members only

Good to hear from ya Rev...

Year your message...

I like the work I do, I love the fact that I can commute via bike every day of the year, I've been with the same company over 25 years, so it's even harder to leave, even tho I really really dislike my boss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice to hear the news, you old codger

Codger...look it up, it's not as bad as it sounds.

Good decision Bob! Getting chest pains is not a good sign. So what if you can't throw money around like before. Having a ton of bucks is over-rated. The benefits of the new position will balance out any concern.

I have a Calvin And Hobbs on the 'fridge I need to scan and send you about "spending" VS. "having".

See you in June!

Bb, [I hope this change doesn't mean drinking cheap beer.]
    bikes are art you ride

mtbr member

Yes, see you in June and it won't rain this year....

It can't rain. I am planning on using some of that tax money to buy some fenders to keep the rain off me. Is there a better way to assure sunshine at Jim Thorpe?

REV

PS: Its a nice feeling knowing that whatever comes in now can be tossed aside and forgotten about and my bosses problems don't mean a damn thing to me anymore. Ah, the joys of running out on incompetent management are very "understated."

the unvarnished nonsense

Sounds like a good decision to me....

I know where you're coming from. When I was a supervisor at the old corporation I ended up with three months of disability eating Xanax like they were Pez. I returned only after negotiating a transfer into the training department. Much better. Then, as you know, I cashed it all in to move to WV and began raising cows. Much, much, better still. You're contributions to this forum are missed by myself, and I assume, many others as well. If Thorpe is a washout, maybe you should consider the Slatyfork gathering.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member

I hear ya Rev...

Which brings me to where I'm out of. Here being my current job...
    But y'know sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do. Here's hoping the best to you on your job.

Planning on putting some of the unexpected tax refund to use on a new road bike ...

... TurboB!tch plans to use some of the refund to have the floors refinished. Too damned practical but the right thing to do.
    That's funny! Especially when I consider that I'm going thru a similar decision process myself. I'd love to use my refund to get a nice Ti 29-er... but my basement is just screaming for finish work... not to mention that I'd love to get me a nice dSLR camera... [email protected]!!!

Have a good one...
    Randy

Jan 2004

good for your rev, no use dodging the

reaper and ending up in the middle of boredom. good luck.
    Sure would look forward to riding with ya, and BB at JT. Plan to keep track of the date.
    BTW, this is the first time I checked out the site for a while, bin hangin out over on the roadie site. Got a new CIOCC and will soon be spending some time on the road.
    bob

Caca pasa

I don't really understand...

...the phrase 'good on you', but I think it applies here.

Go gettum, Rev.

fp
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member

Roadie Site huh?

BB and I will look forward to seeing you at JT in June. I picked up a used road bike last summer and really enjoy the change of pace over riding dirt.

My next bike purchase will probably be a new road bike next year.

Only three more days left in my present job and two of those days are in class and one with a luncheon so I am effectively done which is a great feeling.

mtbr member

Not too sure on the phrase either but......

I work with a tall, blond, athletic, Australian woman who said that to me and it sounded good coming from her so who cares what it means. She could have told me to "eat sh!t and die" and it would have sounded good coming from her too.

REV

There's no app for this.

alroight then mitey

good luck Rev. Remember we're all rooting for us older, wiser, more mature types. When you find the fountain of youth, call me? Jim

Jan 2004

Eat Chit and Dye, Dooood!

I work with a tall, blond, athletic, Australian woman who said that to me and it sounded good coming from her so who cares what it means. She could have told me to "eat sh!t and die" and it would have sounded good coming from her too.

REV
    Yeah, doesn't sound the same coming from me, does it? Any chance you can take the Sheila with ya? Sounds like she'd be good for morale.

I too am rarely on this site anymore; glad I hit it this morning to hear your news. Becoming unexpectedly 'retired' has been an adjustment for me, but I'm starting to count my blessings more and my losses less.

Experiencing atrial fribrillation for several hours on multiple occasions helped sharpen my focus. The four hundred thousand bucks or so that I'm giving up in lost wages and benefits over the next ten years would just be numbers on a page if I croaked, but waking up in Moab and looking out the window and deciding where to ride today is a nice benefit.

Have fun, REV, and take pictures!

Ken

mtbr member

Still working, just a new job.....

Shorter commute, better hours, much, much less stress and at least an extra hour a day to ride after work. The new job is only for a year but I already have feelers out for something more permanent. No way I want to return to my current position but if need be, it awaits in 12 months.

What you said about money certainly holds true. My wife and I agreed that giving up some (not much really) is worth it in both the long and short run. I just don't need that much colored paper in my wallet if I don't have time to ride or ski or surf or just plain enjoy life. I hope the new job allows me more time to post. I've finally started to get used to the new format.

So what exactly happened to your job? Quite for health reasons, laid off, fired for beating the crap out of an unruly boss, won the lottery? All interesting possibilities.

I have to string few weeks together for a long vacation and get out to Moab one of these days. Last month TurboB!tch asked if I knew that there was some type of bike show in Las Vegas every year? Yeah, heard something about that. So, she thinks that would be a good time to visit. Love her way of thinking.

Peace and don't work too hard....

Jan 2004

REV, check your Private Messages.

"So what exactly happened to your job? Quite for health reasons, laid off, fired for beating the crap out of an unruly boss, won the lottery? All interesting possibilities."

Yeah, all distincly within the realm of possibility, except maybe the lottery thing....good luck in your new gig!

Ken