Idiot bought a road bike.- Mtbr.com
    Just Joshin' ya!

Idiot bought a road bike.

I spent 500 bucks on a cheap ass road bike to try and stay conditioned since the trails are far away and getting there during the work week is hard and I came to a stunning conclusion today. I hate it. No love for that roadbiking nonsense. I mean seriously, where is the fun? The reason I mountain bike is because it never feels like exercise.

Tonight I bought a DJ helmet, took my Haro Extreme out, and just hopped off what ever I could find in the city. Curbs, drainpipes, stairs, whatever. Practiced my manuals and wheelies around the parking lot and made alot of people look at me with disdain. Much more fun than the stupid road bike! And still, I came home feeling like I actually had done some physical activity for the day.

I guess I should have bought a Kona Cowan instead. Idiot.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Mar 2006
    The road bike can get pretty boring, but it can also be fun in its own right. Maybe its just not for you. Why not give it another chance? Maybe ride a different part of town? I'm sure you can sell it and get one of those dirt jump things if you wanted....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If you cannot appreciate the beauty of roadbiking and pure, unadulterated speed, then nobody here will be able to help you in this regard.
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Try going for a good group ride and see if the fun level picks up

just have fun!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by brianthebiker
    If you cannot appreciate the beauty of roadbiking and pure, unadulterated speed, then nobody here will be able to help you in this regard.
    Definitely; the speed is what I like about it. But I got a cyclocross bike, so I can have the speed and hit the dirt all in one ride. It's a blast!

Domestic Fowl
    I was a hardcore mountain bike-or-die type for years... refused to do the roadie thing. Finally got a road bike for the same reason you did. To get in better shape for mountain biking. I ended up falling in love with the road bike too... almost as much as the mtb.

There was definitely a learning period for the raod bike. Road riding is waaay diferent than my style of off-road riding. It took me a while to adjust to that. I like technical XC mtb riding, which tends to be very "bursty" power output. Road cycling is more about consistent power output. For me, that was the toughest thing to get used to. It was killing my hamstrings for a while. They weren't used to the constant tension. In the end, it has made me a much stronger mtber.

The other adjustment I had to make to road cycling was mental. I was used to going out and thrashing on 12-20 mile technical trails on the mountain bike. On the road bike, I can pop off a 20 mile ride at lunch. Weekends I'm looking at 80 mile rides. Breaking through the mental barrier for being on a bike for many hours just turning the cranks over was tough, but it has definitely been worth it. In the end, I think what I love about road riding is the speed. I've had my road bike up to 56mph on a local hill, and I love felling the road whizzing by when I'm crankin' it out. I guess I kinda like the climbing too... guess I've been bit bit.

I just started training for the season for mountain biking. Yes, late, I know. I got in 100 miles in my first week... three 20 mile lunch rides during the week and a 40 mile ride on the weekend. There's no way I can get in that many base miles on the mountain bike since, like you, any of the trails worth riding are a good distance away. The great thing about the road bike is that you can ride from the house/work/etc.

Give it some time. The road bike is a great tool for getting in better shape for the mtb. Give it a chance.

FRC <== MTBer, and now a road geek

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    I spent 500 bucks on a cheap ass road bike to try and stay conditioned since the trails are far away and getting there during the work week is hard and I came to a stunning conclusion today. I hate it. No love for that roadbiking nonsense. I mean seriously, where is the fun? The reason I mountain bike is because it never feels like exercise.

Tonight I bought a DJ helmet, took my Haro Extreme out, and just hopped off what ever I could find in the city. Curbs, drainpipes, stairs, whatever. Practiced my manuals and wheelies around the parking lot and made alot of people look at me with disdain. Much more fun than the stupid road bike! And still, I came home feeling like I actually had done some physical activity for the day.

i ride both, but replaced my road bikes with hybrids...much more comfortabe, and some are just as fast.

See if you can demo a Trek 7.5fx...you'll see

Shreddin the Cul de Sac
    The fun is cycling through a paceline in a tailwind at 30+ miles per hours.
    The fun is decending on the road at 45mph on tire patch the size of your thumb.
    The fun is having built your legs and lungs up to the point where, when someone in the group wants to attack and leave the group, you can decided whether or not you want to allow them to go up the road.
    The fun is realizing that you are looking forward to, and stomping up the same hill that made you almost get off and walk in the spring.
    The fun is hammering up down and all around on the MTB, and not even breathing hard when you and your buds stop to regroup.
    Go to your LBS and find out when the group ride is. Do it once a week and report back. Let us know what you think.
    keep moving

Feb 2004
    I think road biking is way fun. It's a different zen than mountain biking though.

Three things got me hooked:
    1. Riding in a paceline with a club,
    2. The 2005 Tour de Tucson. One of the best days I've had on any kind of bike.
    3. I can open my door and go. It's a little bit of a drive to trails for me. So I ride a lot more often.

Village Dirtbag
    Road riding alone can be pretty boring, but it is a lot more fun if you go in a group- especially an agressive group with close proximity, drafting, competition, and high speeds.

It is completely different than trail riding- probably as big as a difference as hardcore downhill/freeride is from XC- just in the opposite direction.

I'm like you- $500 road bike for occasional group rides, errands, commuting, workouts etc. It'll never hold a candle to my mtb though.

Ride what you want!!
    Road riding gets fun when you have a group fo guys to ride with. You also have to get out of the fricken city. Nothing kills a sweet road ride like having to stop for lights and traffic.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    Road riding alone can be pretty boring, but it is a lot more fun if you go in a group- especially an agressive group with close proximity, drafting, competition, and high speeds.
    Indeed! I love mtn biking alone, but always prefer road riding in groups. You save something like 30-40% of the energy you would expend by drafting. Whereas with mtn biking, there is no gain by biking in groups. Not to mention the fact that sometimes mtn bikers flying by on the trail not knowing what is ahead is dangerous, and IMHO can give the sport a bad name. Imagine horses galloping full speed on the trail......but, I digress.
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

Motion activated
    Imagine horses galloping full speed on the trail......but, I digress.
    A horse & rider weigh about ten times as much as a mountain biker + bike. Big difference when it comes time to stop or dodge.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    A horse & rider weigh about ten times as much as a mountain biker + bike. Big difference when it comes time to stop or dodge.
    So are you saying that mtn bikers NEVER go too fast on multi-use trails?

Motion activated
    So are you saying that mtn bikers NEVER go too fast on multi-use trails?
    No, I'm saying the comparison to horses galloping full speed on the trail is a bit over the top.
    Besides what is too fast? That is entirely subjective and depends on so many variables. Unless you fail to yield due to the inability to stop in time and hit someone or something, then who is to say you're going to fast? Of course spooking someone or a near miss isn't good public relations, so that would count as too fast as well.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Ive been road biking for a month now, and absolutely love it. Yeah its differant, its faster and its more work. I think where ya ride has alot to do with the fun factor. There are alot of mt roads near my house that I ride. No traffic lights and very few cars, I usually see 3-4 cars per 20 mile ride. Lots of long twisting roads to climb and descend, at much greater speeds then the mt bike. Riding with friends is even better, pace lines are fun and can be competetive.

The best part is Im much faster and less tired on the mt bike now. I am climbing steep hills that had me walking just a month ago.

I bought the road bike to get in better shape, and what I learned is I just like to ride bikes. I love the dirt, but in Nor-Cal this year all we seem to get is rain and more rain.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Ive been road biking for a month now, and absolutely love it. Yeah its differant, its faster and its more work. I think where ya ride has alot to do with the fun factor. There are alot of mt roads near my house that I ride. No traffic lights and very few cars, I usually see 3-4 cars per 20 mile ride. Lots of long twisting roads to climb and descend, at much greater speeds then the mt bike. Riding with friends is even better, pace lines are fun and can be competetive.

The best part is Im much faster and less tired on the mt bike now. I am climbing steep hills that had me walking just a month ago.

I bought the road bike to get in better shape, and what I learned is I just like to ride bikes. I love the dirt, but in Nor-Cal this year all we seem to get is rain and more rain.

Sean
    this what i found as well...also, i do a birthday ride each year, about 100 miles along the niagara escarpment from Toronto to Collingwood. Look forward to it because July is the perfect time to ride through cow country and through the small towns on the route...summer is just beginning to peak

mtb rides are fun for what they are, same is true for the road and commutes as well...i now drive only 2 times/week...to the cottage and then back

yeah, uh............bikes
    I just bought a road bike last week and have been out a few times now, doing about 20-25 miles after work. My biggest problem is trying to find a safe road to ride. Right now I have to ride about 6 miles of sidewalk to get to a decent road. I'm enjoying the riding, but can't stand the constant bumping from the cement joints in the sidewalk. I've been thinking about just driving to a good starting spot and then starting a ride, but that defeats the purpose of me getting a road bike.

I've been hit by a car twice (commuting back in college) so I'm pretty paranoid about being vulnerable to cars....especially here in south florida, old folks behind the wheel scare me

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    I just bought a road bike last week and have been out a few times now, doing about 20-25 miles after work. My biggest problem is trying to find a safe road to ride. Right now I have to ride about 6 miles of sidewalk to get to a decent road. I'm enjoying the riding, but can't stand the constant bumping from the cement joints in the sidewalk. I've been thinking about just driving to a good starting spot and then starting a ride, but that defeats the purpose of me getting a road bike.

I've been hit by a car twice (commuting back in college) so I'm pretty paranoid about being vulnerable to cars....especially here in south florida, old folks behind the wheel scare me

That is a bad situation, I think Id drive and ride in that case. I only have 2 miles to get to my "off the beaten path" roads. But Im nervous during that time, although half of the ride has nice wide bike lanes.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Rollin' a fatty
    When we bought road bikes (last summer) I was hessitant, the idea was one for my son to train and one for me to tag along. We got hooked and this season my kid is racing road and track with the occasional trail ride in between.

For me the roadie is like a ferrari while the mtb is like a hummer, each is different and both are fun to ride.

We got so hooked with the road bikes that this season my kid is racing road and track only with the occasional trail ride in between to keep it interesting.

Safety is the main concern on the road, if you can find a place with bike lanes, velodrome or country roads you're better off. I have heard so many horror stories from roadies that everytime we hit the road I get a bit paranoid.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    For me the roadie is like a ferrari while the mtb is like a hummer, each is different and both are fun to ride.
    definately

first time I ever on a "real" road bike for me was last week when I bought mine, and that description fits perfectly......although I would consider my mtbike more of a baja race truck/ sand rail.

LBS Manager

I agree with you 100%. I don't do any dirt jumping or urban riding but I hate road riding. If I can't ride dirt I wont ride. I find road riding about as enjoyable as riding a spin bike.

mtbr member
    What type of roads did you ride? like GdT mentioned, city riding sucks.

I actually enjoy solo road riding. I hate riding in the city, and will drive with my road bike to go 5 miles to a nicer starting place (if time is tight). Once you hit the mountains and gain 2000' in 30 minutes, look back down where you started, its a great feeling that you did this all within an hour of leaving the office.

You got any chocolate?
    Keep giving the road bike a chance. Use it a training tool to make you a better MTBer. I know a lot of riders, including myself, that enjoy both. Nothing beats being out on a trail with my MTB. But a road bike can give conditioning and leg strength which you can then use on the trail. Be careful, you just might become addicted to the speed a road bike will give you. And if that happens....enjoy both.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

life is a barrel o'fun
    I love riding in the city, but I guess that's b/c it reminds me so much of trail riding! In fact, today I rode to my new job for the first time, what a rush!

The idea of road riding properly really does scare me. Touring on my commuter with the panniers is dorky fun. When I do get a proper road bike someday, first order of business will be just getting used to the cockpit. Feels so unnatural.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    I find road riding about as enjoyable as riding a spin bike.
    Oh come on that's going a bit too far. Riding inside on a damn spin bike is alot different than being outside on a road bike. Given the choice between the two I think most would pick the latter unless you are a member of my gym (Boise State University Rec Center ).

For the record, I ride both road and mtn. and obvioulsy like mtn. alot better. But being on the road bike is also an enjoyable time.

Ride what you want!!
    I agree with you 100%. I don't do any dirt jumping or urban riding but I hate road riding. If I can't ride dirt I wont ride. I find road riding about as enjoyable as riding a spin bike.
    Are you sure you're doing it right?

george

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Oh come on that's going a bit too far. Riding inside on a damn spin bike is alot different than being outside on a road bike. Given the choice between the two I think most would pick the latter unless you are a member of my gym (Boise State University Rec Center ).

For the record, I ride both road and mtn. and obvioulsy like mtn. alot better. But being on the road bike is also an enjoyable time.
    I am thinking along the same lines.. 1st choice is a mt. bike, but last week in the spin class, there was me, 2 other guys, and 22 women. (1/2 of them don't count tho).

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I like spin bikes more that road bikes. here are my reasons:
    1. I can watch TV at the same time. Just turn on a car race and go really fast
    2. spin bikes=inside=A/C
    3. I'd forget I'm riding a road bike and do something stupid like ride down a flight of stairs on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I know what you're saying here. I bought my Trek 1000 about 1 yr ago this month, but I didn't really buy it to stay in shape. I bought it because I was tired of the 20 yr old Huffy 10 spd I was using and wanted something better. I've done a few road rides on it. What I've found is a new respect for roadies in that it does take endurance.

As far as fun goes, I have to admit; nothing like going 25 to 35 mph down a flat road, listening to the concrete whine knowing it's nothing but you baby. The fun of my coworkers looking at me sideways when I roll up to the office on a rainy day and I just smile Rolling right pass the long line of cars at the base gate and to officers on duty just wave me in when they spot my ID clipped on it's usual spot. The quick 20 mile ride I can do at lunch if I don't wish to run. Enjoying the full moon on my 45 minute commute back from the bike shop where I work part time. And most of all, the coworker who swore (and still does) that cycling isn't a sport who just bought a Trek 1000 himself and wants to goes on a lunchtime ride w/ me. *evil grin*

Don't get me wrong, I do love the trail more. I agree w/ ya that it's definitely more fun, but I've grown to like my commuting and look forward to it.

Oct 2005
    I reckon roading can be a lot more social and team orientated and i'm really keen to get into it but nothing can beat the zen feeling or cruising through the bush without any cars or civilisation around...

Just Joshin' ya!
    Umm, I'll keep giving the road bike a try. I guess I should ride with groups after work or so. I won't do that on weekends though because that is my trail time. I mean, I live in Las Vegas, and MTBing is pretty sweet at the Cowboy Trails and Bootleg Cannyon is some of the best stuff you can find anywhere, period. Riding my MTB on the concrete is lots of fun though. I may have been bitten by the urban bug.

Maybe I need to get my roadbike out of the damn city. These Vegas drivers, plus all of the lost tourists, are going to cream me one of these days.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    Are you sure you're doing it right?

george
    There is not much to it you get on your road bike and pedal it. like I said it's no better than a spin bike. I will admit its good training and a good workout but thats it. I don't think I could keep from falling asleep long enough to get a workout though.

Ride what you want!!
    There is not much to it you get on your road bike and pedal it. like I said it's no better than a spin bike. I will admit its good training and a good workout but thats it. I don't think I could keep from falling asleep long enough to get a workout though.
    Nope you're not doing it right. Becausel, there can be more to it than that.

Get 3 or 4 buddies and learn how to draft. Get a pace line going and then try to drop each other. Find a good loop with a nice long climb and a sweet twisty downhill with wide open straight aways where you can push 40-50mph with you and your buddies taking turns at the front.

Then find a bigger group of guys to ride with and learn how to stay tucked into the draft and have them pull you along on the flats at 30+mph while you barely have to pedal.
    Learn how to take turns in the pack so when you lean over you can feel the other guys shoulder rubbing yours but you konw you're going to be ok if you just don't hit your brakes.

You're version of road riding is the mtb version or riding canal banks through urban areas.

george

Get out of town!
    Yes - definitely get out of the city and take a nice road ride. I enjoy it almost as much as mtn. biking, it is just different. Ride the bike and enjoy the speed, scenery, and the fact that you are building up a fitness base that is much harder to achieve purely by mountain biking. A bike computer is a good investment imo because you can get some feedback in real time as you ride.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

LBS Manager

Still boring

I would never put any of my friends through that kind of torture. What I am saying is that there is nothing absolutly nothing that apeals to me about road riding. It dosnt matter who you ride with or how much you draft someon it still dos not even come close to the fun of MTBing.

Ride what you want!!
    I would never put any of my friends through that kind of torture. What I am saying is that there is nothing absolutly nothing that apeals to me about road riding. It dosnt matter who you ride with or how much you draft someon it still dos not even come close to the fun of MTBing.
    Uh..... OK.

You sound like my kid when I tell him to try a new flavor of ice cream.

"I like Vanilla.... everything else sucks!"

george

mtbr member
    Where have I been? I didn't know that $500 bucks will only get you a cheap-ass bike. I guess I should be ashamed that I'm in the market for a sub-50 dollar roadbike to replace my old commuter mtn bike.

Don't get me wrong, even though I commute most days, I'm not a huge fan of road biking....but then again you don't see me hemorrhaging money on a hobby I've never tried before. Remember, there's nothing wrong with a 1982 Panasonic. Think of it as a toe in the pool.

Mar 2004

It sounds like your mind is made up.

My advice is to keep the road bike.

Do NOT pressure yourself to ride it. Just let it collect dust. Seriously.

Perhaps one day, you'll decide to take it out for sh!ts and giggles. And perhaps you just might discover why road biking is so elegant...

If this day never comes, that's cool. Most people naturally have a preference for one over the other.

As for me, I'm having the most fun when I realize that I'm stronger, fitter, and faster than I've ever been before. And my road bike is the price of admission.
    Last edited by 514Climber; 04-12-2006 at 08:33 PM.

Feb 2006
    Buying a 500 dollar road bike is like buying a 270 dollar mountain bike.

I would also be pissed riding something like that.

I like both road and mountain. and Tennis.

mtbr member

This is your brain on a road bike....

By all means, ride whatever makes you happy. But the reason that you don't find the "fun" in road biking is it takes some time and a different mind set.

It takes some time to build up the conditioning so you can get into the zone. The zone in this case is the feeling of power from being able to make the bike go fast over a long distance. You can't get there in one or two rides.

It's not "fun" in the same sense as jumping a curb, or pulling a manual. It's a buzz that is less intense, but can be quite satisfying. It's kind of the opposite of an adrenaline rush, but it goes on and on.

Do whatever makes you happy, but remember that you didn't develop the skills to do stunts overnight either.

Walt

desert dweller
    Umm, I'll keep giving the road bike a try. I guess I should ride with groups after work or so. I won't do that on weekends though because that is my trail time. I mean, I live in Las Vegas, and MTBing is pretty sweet at the Cowboy Trails and Bootleg Cannyon is some of the best stuff you can find anywhere, period. Riding my MTB on the concrete is lots of fun though. I may have been bitten by the urban bug.

Maybe I need to get my roadbike out of the damn city. These Vegas drivers, plus all of the lost tourists, are going to cream me one of these days.

Hey Joshua,
    What part of town do you live? I live in Silverado Ranch (pretty close to James) and I have some nice reasonably quiet road rides. I love both my road rides and my mountain bike rides.

Road riding is fun when you hook up with friends or a club (Green Valley Cycling Club) has great rides on Saturdays and Sundays. When I can't afford 4-5 hours away on a weekend I jump in with them and get a fun 30-50+ mile ride in 2-3 hours. It's nice because you get 20-40 people and normally two options for a Saturday ride (if I have soccer or baseball games to go to -- I'll choose the short option).

http://www.greenvalleycyclists.org/

I've also found that on weekends when the kids games are filling the whole day I commute between venues on my bike. My wife shuttles the kids and I get some pedalling in. Last weekend it was only 26 miles between Soccer at Anthem Hills Park ( I rode most of my normal loop and stopped off at the park) and Rag Ball back in Silverado Ranch. I take the routes that are more fun and bike friendly rather than the quickest and most direct. Sheesh if I wanted that I'd just drive with the family.

matt

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peith
    Buying a 500 dollar road bike is like buying a 270 dollar mountain bike.

I would also be pissed riding something like that.

I like both road and mountain. and Tennis.
    Its actually a pretty nice bike. Tiagra components and a carbon fiber fork and seat post. As far as a 270 MTB bike, my Specialized Hardrock served me well and took alot of abuse. I had to go full suspension though because my kidneys started feeling like they had been in multiple prize fights when I started getting too aggressive on the bike.

Thanks Matt. I'll try to make some of these rides once in a while. So I guess I will keep riding it. To be fair, when I first bought it, I rode it in Tucson for three days and had fun. That town in so bike friendly though. I feel like I have a target posted on me when I ride here in Vegas.

Matt, when are you going to join us for some trail riding again? Riding with E! and Redmon has made my confidence get on the verge of stupid again. I managed to finally ride that set of steps you took a picture of me weenie walking last time we were on Bob Gnarly. I also rode all of the drops on Bonsehaker yesterday. My brake pads may need changing and my knees are still shaking. It was fun though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Bingo!

There you go. Having some places to ride where you don't constantly have to worry about getting creamed makes a big difference. Good scenery or riding buddies help, too.

Here's a tip. Sometimes I'll go out on the road bike, and for the first 10 or 15 minutes my mind just chatters at me - stupid stuff, like my legs hurt, stuff from work, stuff to do at home, this road is boring, you name it. And then I get into the zone, and all that stuff goes away. I come back a calmer, happier person.

Currently in Exile
    Even on group rides I sometimes forget that I am riding a rodie and do something stupid sometimes. Last weekend I was jumping driveways on my Tarmac. Full carbon fork and all. Then I went home and watched Paris Roubaix and saw George Hincapie's steerer tube snap. I immediately flash back to catching air earlier in the day.

Somebody PLEASE remind me that I am on a ROAD BIKE! They aren't supposed to leave the ground except to be put on the roof rack!

Don't sweat it. Enjoy the ride. Get out of the city.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Ride Instigator

Cool-blue Rhythm Sub-Urban Roadie Race Course...

I have a 30 mile route through good ol' suburbia that's kinda' fun, zipping through twisty turny subdivisions and utilizing every hill in town lends a good workout .

Certainly not as enjoyable as an MTB ride but I find myself being amused playing crit racer on days that time constraints or trail conditions prohibit dirt play.

desert dweller
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    Even on group rides I sometimes forget that I am riding a rodie and do something stupid sometimes. Last weekend I was jumping driveways on my Tarmac. Full carbon fork and all. Then I went home and watched Paris Roubaix and saw George Hincapie's steerer tube snap. I immediately flash back to catching air earlier in the day.

Somebody PLEASE remind me that I am on a ROAD BIKE! They aren't supposed to leave the ground except to be put on the roof rack!

Don't sweat it. Enjoy the ride. Get out of the city.

It's funny how many club roadies walk up dirt roads. One of our club ride routes had a half block section of dirt road. I go flying over it with out even thinking about it and I turn around and most of the gang is either walking or riding at 5 mph. My normal training ride has a 12% grade of rocky and sandy dirt path that does keep me awake -- but I've never had to walk it or fix a flat tire on it (knock on wood)!

I've also noticed that the clubbies have a hard time making on course adjustments --- the dirt road section of our club ride I mentioned above could be avoided by turning 100 feet before the dirt and riding out to the main cross street (a quarter block away) on pavement. But they never do that because its not on the route slip -- they would rather walk up the dirt road than turn 500 feet too early --- to get to the same cross street!

I love doing the club ride thing -- but sometimes, they just don't make sense!

mbb

Ride what you want!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    It's funny how many club roadies walk up dirt roads. One of our club ride routes had a half block section of dirt road. I go flying over it with out even thinking about it and I turn around and most of the gang is either walking or riding at 5 mph. My normal training ride has a 12% grade of rocky and sandy dirt path that does keep me awake -- but I've never had to walk it or fix a flat tire on it (knock on wood)!
    That's funny, I've been on road loops that included 10 miles of dirt road and sand pits. We also look for some of the nastiest patched up roads to rattle your teeth and numb your hands on fast DH runs.

People think that a road bike can't take the abuse.... it can. You can hope curbs and all that, George's break was a freak accident. You had 100+ racers on the course that day. How many snapped steering tubes?

george

Mar 2006
    mainly a roady here. guilty as charged. prolly cuz the nearest place to MTB is 50 miles round trip, and im 15. 50 miles on the mtb, PLUS offroad, just doesnt seem realistic. it'd be an all week expedition, so i ride the road bike more (plus i started on road, but that's different)

i agree with the get out of town. i abhor riding the road bike in the city. stop-go isnt for road bikes. i can stand it on a mtb, but thats cuz i can hop curbs and do wheelies and stuff.
    the road bike in town sucks, i agree with you. but give it a try out in the country, you might like it!

BTW to all the MTBR members here - holy sh!t! you guys ACCEPT road biking, even admit to enjoying it? yikes. RBR i'm cautious about admitting that my MTB is worth 3x my road bike... oh wait im cautious about admitting that i MTB.

mtbr member
    Riding the road bike is convenient, easy, cheap and makes me a faster mountain biker. With a 65 hour per week work schedule I don't always have the time for a 30 minute drive pack up the bike mtb ride. I maybe get one mtb ride in a week and at least 3 road rides and most of the time this summer the mtb ride will be a race on sunday.
    I like to ride bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0