I want to be a commuter!- Mtbr.com

Nov 2007

I want to be a commuter!

Howdy,
    I drive a Jeep so its not a major gas guzzler but I want to save myself some dough by commuting by bicycle. My problem lies here...I work at a bank and require a suit and tie. I am obviously not going to ride to work in my work clothes so I'd have to change. I figure the best way is to fold the clothes up nice and neat in a big backpack so they don't get crushed and crumpled. This sounds like a good idea? Just wanted to hear some other solutions you ladies and gentlemen might have.
    Also, I don't want to be all gamey by the time I get to the bank so I guess I just take it slow and easy?

Thanks for any help.

MoR

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Ride easy so you don't sweat and have a towel at work just in case.

I use a backpack for the work clothes and will even leave a set at the office. Works for me.

What kind of bike will you be using? Mtn bikes can work but are slow, Cross Bikes work really well for commuting.
    It wasn't me

wot no bike?
    Someone makes a garment bag that attaches to a rear rack, kind of cool. If you're going to use your backpack, I've found it best to roll your clothes before putting it into the bag rather than fold, it seems to cut down on the wrinkles. I would keep a few suits at work so you don't have to schlep them around, it's not like you're washing them anyway. I always keep a towel and deodorant at work also.
    pete

Rolling
    If you just want to commute a few days a week. Plan ahead. Take extra clothes to work on the days you drive and leave them at work to change into.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    If you just want to commute a few days a week. Plan ahead. Take extra clothes to work on the days you drive and leave them at work to change into.
    This is what I was thinking. At a bank there must be an area somewhere that you could store some clothes.

Just leave a suit or two at work, then plan to change in to it when you get there. You could also buy some sanitary wipes - they make some that are intended to substitute for a shower when you are camping and such. I had to use them last year for a bit and they worked pretty well. Just take a break for 10-15 minutes when you get to work (so you can stop sweating), then use the wipes to clean up, put on your suit and off you go.
    :wq

Totally, and to the max.
    This is exactly what I do. I work in an ad agency, so I've gotta look like a snooty art director. Change of clothes, shoes and a hand towel in the closet. I go into the bathroom and clean off with the towel, change and then hang my ride gear outside (we have a back patio) so it can air dry for the ride home. Works great for me. The trick is to wash your face about an hour after your initial bath because your body is still working even after you've had your second cup o' joe and wasted 30 minutes on mtbr. Gets rid of that salty layer.

Hip

Feb 2008
    I was thinking about this for a few months now. I am a teacher and dont wear suits but still dress kind of nice..LOL. My concern was sweating and feeling gross all day. Maybe ai can get cleaned up in our teachers bathroom when I get there. Glad you posted this. How far are you? Im like 8 or 9 miles.

Nov 2007
    I am only like 3-4 miles. Looks like I'll be doing a combo of storing clothes and rolling them up in a backpack. I'll be riding a 2008 Marin Mount Vision with slicks.

Rolling
    ...and there is always the shower in a can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You drive a Jeep "so it's not a major gas guzzler" ... That's funny...

Nov 2007

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by rumin8
    You drive a Jeep "so it's not a major gas guzzler" ... That's funny...
    Its not as bad as the H2 or the Wrangler. I drive the XJ with the straight-6 so its decent but by no means great.

Tool
    Some gyms have shower memberships, and if there're any gyms in the neighborhood, you might look into that. If your bank is in an office building, maybe the building has facilities? I'm just taking a couple of shots in the dark. Barring an actual shower, wear a bit less than you normally would (without risking hypothermia) and you should be OK, as long as you don't change right away. Even waiting a couple of minutes will keep your work clothes from getting all gamey. For a wealth of commuting tips, check out the commuting board over at roadbikereview.com

S*it Happens!
    Thinking the same thing.

I would like to be a bike commuter… However, I work 54 miles one way so not practical enough for me.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    When I use to have to wear a suit I would drive one or two days a week, shuttling clothes as others have mentioned. This keeps the clothes nice and causes you to carry less which has the benefit of less sweat too.

A lot of it is about planning ahead, figuring what to bring, where to change etc. but commuting, once you have a routine is easy. Baby wipes, towel, shoes, belts and clothes stored at the office make a big difference.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I’m telecommuting now, but I was once a bike commuter when I held a cubicle job. If the number of miles between home and work makes a bike commute impractical you could load the bike in the car, drive part way, park in a safe location, and bike commute the rest of the way. I did it this way sometimes – sometimes to shorten the ride and sometimes to avoid the more dangerous (i.e. high traffic, no bike lane) portions of the commute.

old part timer
    There are lots of options. I used to drive on Mondays and bring in clothes for Tuesday through Friday so I coul ride without carrying as much gear. I changed jobs and now have only a 5 mile commute. So I have two extra pair of dress shoes in a bottom file cabinent and just cruise in during the morning ride. Baby wipes and a towel are all you need for clean up with this method.

Oct 2006
    3-4 miles is an easy commute so you shouldn't get too sweaty at all. Like one poster said, keep some wipes at work (baby wipes work great as they are a bit thicker than regular ones) and "shower" with them. Also, allow yourself enough cool-down time so you don't sweat into your clothes after changing.

Hip, seeing as you are a teacher, do you have a locker room that you could change/shower in? Or is it an elementary school? If that's the case, the kids probably won't care - especially based on some of the smells present in my kids school....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Method of Rhythm
    I am only like 3-4 miles. Looks like I'll be doing a combo of storing clothes and rolling them up in a backpack. I'll be riding a 2008 Marin Mount Vision with slicks.

Check around some cleaners pick-up and deliver...

Just get a work wardrobe it stays at work never comes home, send it out for cleaning...

Hell you will look sharper, cleaner, and put together, and you will save a nickel while your at it.

uhhhhhyea
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    This is exactly what I do. I work in an ad agency, so I've gotta look like a snooty art director. Change of clothes, shoes and a hand towel in the closet. I go into the bathroom and clean off with the towel, change and then hang my ride gear outside (we have a back patio) so it can air dry for the ride home. Works great for me. The trick is to wash your face about an hour after your initial bath because your body is still working even after you've had your second cup o' joe and wasted 30 minutes on mtbr. Gets rid of that salty layer.
    And by snooty art director... you mean one step above the designer uniform (jeans, tshirt + ball cap)?

Even the most well-dressed art director I know has stopped wearing ties. But every agency is different...

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Plan ahead: bring clothes on the day that you are not riding, bring clothes you have worn and are heading to the hamper home on those same days. On days when it's a spur of the moment decision to ride to work I carefully pack my clothes into a backpack and lay everything out in such a way that I will not forget the next morning as I'm heading out the door. I usually leave the backpack at work and ride home as I live near the top of a big hill and don't need the extra weight of the backpack to weigh me down.

I leave a package of Costco home-brand Kirkland baby wipes at my desk to freshen up when I get to the office. It's not perfect but it's better than being at work all sticky from sweat and thinking that everyone who walks past you is smelling BO from you. I'm one of those people who start to sweat as soon as I start to ascert myself so riding slow doesn't necessarily work for me.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Suit at the office and wearing a good wicking base layer while riding helps big time when the need to wash up comes to play. If you choose to travel with your clothes, get a set of panniers that carry suits...they are available at a decent price. Also check this site for other commuting insight. http://commutebybike.com/cats/commuting-101/
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

ballbuster

Yeah....

...and there is always the shower in a can.

... but then you have to fight off chicks with a baseball bat.

Members who have read this thread: 0