I rode today.- Mtbr.com

Thread: I rode today.

poser Administrator

I rode today.

Today is a holiday of some sort, a day to sell mattresses and crappy furniture in honor of past political figures I think. Luckily my wife told me to go ride my bike. So I did. I gathered up all the usual trappings of riding and went to the mountain, Mt. Lemmon to be exact. Joining the roadies and Tri-nerds in their aero bars for the 6 mile ride up to the trail head I reflected a couple of miles up from my car that my mini-tool was either back in the car or in the back of the kids' bike trailer.

Either way I was without tools on a long loop through the mountains, far from the road or a bail out and I wasn't going back to the car to check to see if it was there. I thought to myself "Hell, you haven't had a need for a tool in ages, and this is just your second ride on this bike so it should be fine. Should be." I sauntered on, amazed by all the carbon wizardry and big ring dudes and babes passing me on my long ascent.

As luck would have it I only need to ride 6 miles of this horrible black surface until my tires touched dirt.

I climbed.
    Climbing

With a group of mountain bikers, 30+ strong. Guess I got nothing to worry about if I need a mini tool. Probably 30 mini tools with this group too.

I rode in some snow giving my fat fronted Larry equipped Jones some snow bike cred.
    Frickin' snow

I ascended and descended, drop and jumped, railed and slipped. I even skidded once...but I was out of control in some loose gravel and it was either skid or off that precipitous drop. Sorry.

The final descent was a rock filled, harrowing, high speed, jump filled, tire testing, arm pumping, back crushing, teeth chattering, eyes unblinking, rotor smoking, sweat inducing, limit testing, limit reaching, limit redefining, soul rewarding, life uplifting, smile inducing, reason for living...check! - list making, glad I am not at work realizing, gratifying, sphincter clenching, miles and miles of fun.

Glad I went. It was totally worth it...to be a mountain biker!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Really I am that slow
    NICE! i didn't ride today 1st day off the bike in 40 days i think
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Very nice.

The singletrack in that 1st pic looks tasty.

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot View Post
    NICE! i didn't ride today 1st day off the bike in 40 days i think
    Do have a job?

mtbr member
    Well said.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

mtbr member
    nice fatbike
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

bust a move
    Nice ride and description!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Cool pics, awesome half fat

see me rollin, they hatin
    fat bikes look like a blast

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by tg View Post
    Do have a job?
    yup bike mechanic, and dont own a car and commute at least 30 miles on a work day
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice! That looks like a lung-busting 25% grade piece of singletrack in the first picture. Definitely lowest gear material, for me anyway.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    Nice! That looks like a lung-busting 25% grade piece of singletrack in the first picture. Definitely lowest gear material, for me anyway.
    Yes it was, it is a very steep connector to some very sweet singletrack and technical riding. Suffer through the ascent, with its steep sections, wooden stairs and such and the views and riding are totally worth it. I walked 80% of it.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Let's see...

Bike, Pedal, Ride,

Seems easy enough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Yes it was, it is a very steep connector to some very sweet singletrack and technical riding. Suffer through the ascent, with its steep sections, wooden stairs and such and the views and riding are totally worth it. I walked 80% of it.
    Call me crazy, but I would love to ride that ascent! Of course I wouldn't be able to ride up the stairs, but I would definitely see how long I would last on the singletrack climb. I love climbing the steepest, most grueling hills I can find.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    Call me crazy, but I would love to ride that ascent! Of course I wouldn't be able to ride up the stairs, but I would definitely see how long I would last on the singletrack climb. I love climbing the steepest, most grueling hills I can find.
    It is challenging both cardiovascularly and vertically but not necessarily technically however we do have plenty o' cardio, vertical and techinical ascents to grunt groan and try to clean over and over again and usually all have copious traction if you can find it, alternate lines to try and change after each rain, season and just in response to time. Kinda nice, I like me a technical climb myself.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sounds like a sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    It is challenging both cardiovascularly and vertically but not necessarily technically however we do have plenty o' cardio, vertical and techinical ascents to grunt groan and try to clean over and over again and usually all have copious traction if you can find it, alternate lines to try and change after each rain, season and just in response to time. Kinda nice, I like me a technical climb myself.
    Sounds like my area. Lots of good climbs around here. In fact there was a nice steep technical climb at the end of my ride video from last weekend's ride. It earned a nice loud grunt near the end of the steepest section. Good thing there wasn't anyone around. That sound probably scared off any mountain lions though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    "them Jones is wet"

Members who have read this thread: 0