I love riding my bike- Mtbr.com
    ride

I love riding my bike

I always used to get really cold on my bike in the winter. I'd do 3+ hr rides in January in 32 degree weather; training rides. I used to race quite a bit. I'd be so cold when I got in that even a hot shower would not do the trick. Since my daughter was born (2 yrs), I get out so relatively infrequently that I enjoy my rides so much more. I don't even get chilly anymore. Weird, huh? It's been so easy to stay warm and happy since she was born, regardless of the weather or trail conditions

Tonight, for instance. The plan called for a night ride north of Boulder in the foothills and around a local reservoir. I was going to hook up some singletrack that meanders about 5 miles to the northeast. The ride probably would've been about 10-12 miles depending on what I did. It started great. Good dirt and about 35 degrees. I got about 25 minutes into the ride before it started snowing/raining. Well, the trail I was on had about an inch of dust that turned to soup pretty darn quick. I ended up riding east thru some crushed rock trails (to avoid the mud) all the way out the the Reservoirs furthest SW entrance and back into Boulder on some 2 lane roads. I took the long way thru Boulder on a combination of dirt and paved bikepaths and streets to take me back to the car. Man, it was about 30 degrees, dark, and sloppy wet, and I was on the road with a 30 pound mountain bike with extra fat tires and 5 inches of suspension. Despite the conditions I was warmer than mom's apple pie fresh out of the oven. I got back to the car about 2 hours later, soaked and tired.

Cold, wet and dark used to be my absolutely most detested combination, but I had a great time tonight. I don't know if it's about the ride, the freedom, the escape, the introspection, or all of the above, but I'll take it any chance I can get.

There are few things I love like this. Riding is special.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    yeah riding is loke a bad addiction that is good. i though i might quit a few times--too much money for upkeep blah blah

but the allure and fun factor is too great.

your story reminds me of all the solo rides I did on Ft hood when nobody else wanted to ride in the 90s and 100s weather. fokkers dont know the nice fun pain they're missing.

trail waggler

Nice Dave! Keep up the good work...

Sounds like a good time! I almost stopped by the shop on Sunday, but I only had an hour to try and get a ride in (Rabbit Mtn. was mostly dry).

If I don't see 'ya before, Merry Christmas!!!!

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    Sounds like a good time! I almost stopped by the shop on Sunday, but I only had an hour to try and get a ride in (Rabbit Mtn. was mostly dry).

If I don't see 'ya before, Merry Christmas!!!!
    No worries, Dave. Have a merry Xmas yourself!
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Perpetually single track
    Man you clearly have seen the light....I got out today for a ride, and I couldn't stop myself from grinning the whole time. It's just great to get out and ride...time to think, time to be alone, time to be with (new)friends....time to just be. Keep it up.
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

shins meet handlebar.
    I was thinkin of this thread as I headed out for the group ride tonight. It turned out to be a great ride.
    Fear is the mind-killer.