I kind of wish no one had invented droppers....- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

I kind of wish no one had invented droppers....

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not "anti-dropper" or a modern luddite. I just can't quite get into the aesthetics. Nothing is as good looking as a slick carbon XC bike with a appropriately tall carbon seatpost. I love the way my carbon post eats up the small vibrations in the trail on my hardtail. I love the way it looks. I love how light it is. But....I also love the way my dropper let's me hit stuff more aggressively. I can ride straight up XC and still go to my local bike parks for some low key fun. And for stuff I used to stick my saddle in my gut for....nope, no worries. But I just can't look at my dropper. Dammit.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    You lost me at "XC bike"...

mtbr member
    Weird. Bikes look cheap without droppers to me. It's a ubiquitous mtb item now, not having one looks weirdly department store.

mtbr member
    Tis the Lycra that causes my eyes to divert o_0

A slammed seat looks dam sexy!!

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Seems like you are form over function gentleman at least sometimes. I can relate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post
    I know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Akward........

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    You are mistaken. Even old bikes come with droppers. They just happened to be manually operated.

mtbr member
    What I will go along with is that all this tech adds weight, which in itself is crap thing. I used to be able to chuck my bike onto my shoulder to climb over a fence without thinking about it. Now my bike weighs north of thirty-pounds. Sure, it's got better suspension, better brakes a dropper etc but heck, the light bike was more fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I don’t see the purpose of this thread. You can go out and buy or build a super light XC bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    I don’t see the purpose of this thread.
    You could say that about most of them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Handlebar View Post
    aesthetics
    There's your problem.

Form follows function. A bike is a tool.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Pretty much any thread other than the ones about mechanical issues, really.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Passion. Used to have a ton of ride reports and pics of trips to biking destinations. Now we get. “I don’t like droppers”.

mtbr member
    Aesthetics without a dropper...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I kind of wish no one had invented droppers....-onza184_1024x1024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Passion. Used to have a ton of ride reports and pics of trips to biking destinations. Now we get. “I don’t like droppers”.
    Winter, give it time.

Cycologist
    Hmm, you don't sound like someone who joined just last month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I wish they were around 30 years a go. I would have a lot more original skin. I'm not really thinking about aesthetics at this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I kind of wish no one had invented droppers....-resized_20180406_195907_6366.jpg  

I got some bad ideas in my head.

Rides all the bikes!
    I like all my bikes.

I like my TT, my XC, my CX, my roadie, my enduro.

All great. It's the riders who are the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Didn’t join last month. I joined 15 years ago. But got locked out of my account and couldn’t recover my password. Emailed tech support but never got a response.

Had to rejoin.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Here, yes. Looks okay to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I kind of wish no one had invented droppers....-resized_20180406_150648_2835.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The changing aesthetics has me thinking my bike looks strange when the post is all the way up. I'm now use to enjoying how the bike handles when the saddle is low, so I now enjoy it looking like a 'jump bike' instead of one of those saddle up the rear types. That is a change for me.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just just ride without a dropper like I do. No issues. Looks? I just go with what works.

mtbr member
    Didn’t join last month. I joined 15 years ago. But got locked out of my account and couldn’t recover my password. Emailed tech support but never got a response.

Had to rejoin.
    Whatever noob!!!!
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    The changing aesthetics has me thinking my bike looks strange when the post is all the way up. I'm now use to enjoying how the bike handles when the saddle is low, so I now enjoy it looking like a 'jump bike' instead of one of those saddle up the rear types. That is a change for me.
    I like the looks of my bikes better with a dropper. Got very long legs, so even with XL frames I've got so much post showing they look like clown bikes with the seat at fulll height. Not so noticable when I'm on the bike pedaling, but the bike just sitting there looks out of proportion with the seat so high.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    its called bipolar disorder go get some help man...

mtbr member
    I kinda wish I won the lottery or looked like Tom Selleck (not currently, the Magnum PI years)
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Droppers are great, one of my best upgrades, much more confident on the downhills especially on my 29er. I use the old tried and true gravity droppers without a remote.....I am not racing so no issues there. lower center of gravity and being able to dab a foot or pivot much more easily.

No good in rock gardens..
    I'd happily trade the dropper on my Stumpy for a bottom bracket that's about 10mm higher... I'm fed up with whacking pedals.

I rode an Epic the other day that didn't have a dropper. I didn't really miss the dropper on that circuit....and I didn't whack pedals once.

Horses for courses.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    When my dropper was sent back for warranty I realised I've forgoten how to ride without one. I use it when descending, jumping, cornering, stopping at traffic lights... all the time basically.

I agree on the aesthetics, rigid posts look cleaner, with one exception. A long stroke dropper with the colar slammed against the seat tube is almost as clean looking as a rigid post. With the added benefit of a slammed saddle when needed.

The other thing I noticed while waiting for my dropper to return from service was that the weight difference is noticable. The rear of my bike felt lighter with the rigid post, the back wheel easier to get off the ground.

That said, there's no way I'm going back to a rigid post by choice.

mtbr member
    I've been riding single track for over 20 years and my first dropper came with the new Kona. I know...took awhile but I was always having so much fun riding I never gave a dropper much thought until now. After all these years I'm so used to riding tech sections with the seat where it sits I've had to force myself to use it. I like it but for the typical New England trails I ride the tech sections come and go very quickly. I would constantly be doing the 'up/down' thing for much of the trail so I only drop it on longer tech sections.

Being 6'4" with 36" inseam I found one of the biggest benefits is the opposite of what most would think regarding a dropper. Prior to droppers, my normal seat position was down a bit as a compromise and lived with never having full leg extension when climbing. Now I can FULLY extend my seat in climbing sections when needed which is awesome.

As for aesthetics...I'm only concerned with function and what makes the bike better. Not worried about what it looks like. If you ride hard and fast enough nobody's gonna see it anyways!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    I'd happily trade the dropper on my Stumpy for a bottom bracket that's about 10mm higher... I'm fed up with whacking pedals.

I rode an Epic the other day that didn't have a dropper. I didn't really miss the dropper on that circuit....and I didn't whack pedals once.

Horses for courses.
    Could it be a rider issue? My XC "training" bike is my Enduro. Okay, when I say XC training bike what I mean is I only ever ride my XC bike during races, everything else is less XC bike friendly. But I rarely pedal strike on my E29. My Stumpy riding friend never complains either (he just got an Epic to race as well).

I did just race an Epic, and before that rode it on an enduro'ish trail. It is a pretty good bike without a dropper I will say.

mtbr member
    Nothing is as good looking as a slick carbon XC bike with a appropriately tall carbon seatpost.

this statement is factually incorrect.

but it sounds like you're one of those guys that's more worried about if your bike matches your purse than how it rides.

mtbr member
    What I will go along with is that all this tech adds weight, which in itself is crap thing. I used to be able to chuck my bike onto my shoulder to climb over a fence without thinking about it. Now my bike weighs north of thirty-pounds. Sure, it's got better suspension, better brakes a dropper etc but heck, the light bike was more fun.

Zowie in the 26" forum is trying to convince me and some others to go rigid, save lbs and keep it simple. It's a nice idea on paper. But a lot of rigid forks are still 2.5 to 3.0 lbs and you can get an air fork at 4.0 lbs, so I really don't see the point. Pig, what 'better' suspension is weighing so much on your current bike? You mean full suspension?

As for this thread, I agree it's filler, it doesn't contribute much besides bickering and confusion.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Pig, what 'better' suspension is weighing so much on your current bike? You mean full suspension?
    Yes. Bike manufacturers can't make money by selling us nothing. The list of must-have bike features, parts and accessories gets ever longer as they strive to get us to want more and more stuff. So our bikes get more complex, heavier, bigger but do they get more fun? Sure, they can do more but it's not the same thing. It's not the same thing at all.

mtbr member
    Yes. Bike manufacturers can't make money by selling us nothing. The list of must-have bike features, parts and accessories gets ever longer as they strive to get us to want more and more stuff. So our bikes get more complex, heavier, bigger but do they get more fun? Sure, they can do more but it's not the same thing. It's not the same thing at all.
    This is why I'm trying to differentiate my 27.5 into a more downhill/rock rollover bike and the 26 into a more fun twisty trail bike so I can still have a smaller bike that hopefully handles better. If something complex really adds performance and is worth its price, great, otherwise I don't bother. As in I'm not going to spend $500 on a part just to save 3 ounces of weight.

mtbr member
    If something complex really adds performance and is worth its price, great...
    Yes, but do we need the performance?

My full-sus bike is faster over rough down hill than my hard-tail. The better suspension gives you better confidence and control, no question. The performance of the bike is better. In a race, it would be faster, it's more comfortable, you get the idea.

Thing is, the hard-tail is more fun! You feel more connected, it feels more alive and it feels faster. It's isn't actually faster but you get a greater sensation of speed.

So is the bike that performs better really the better bike?

Lone Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Weird. Bikes look cheap without droppers to me. It's a ubiquitous mtb item now, not having one looks weirdly department store.
    At right er' Iz how I see It :P
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

My full-sus bike is faster over rough down hill than my hard-tail. The better suspension gives you better confidence and control, no question. The performance of the bike is better. In a race, it would be faster, it's more comfortable, you get the idea.

Thing is, the hard-tail is more fun! You feel more connected, it feels more alive and it feels faster. It's isn't actually faster but you get a greater sensation of speed.

I'm an old fart who rides like I want to survive getting back down the mountain so I can ride again.

I ride a Hard Tail after having full suspension, for the reasons you mentioned, "the hard-tail is more fun! You feel more connected, it feels more alive"
    I consider my dropper a safety device.

We, most of us ride as fast as we can and would with or without a dropper,
    follow me ?

The three key things that I am addicted to that allow me to ride a great Hard Tail:

Slack geo,
    Plus tires,
    The Dropper,

Without ALL three of those I'd have to ride a Full Squish again...
    “I seek only the Flow”,

mtbr member
    well said....my man.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post

but it sounds like you're one of those guys that's more worried about if your bike matches your purse than how it rides.
    And please do not leave out the matching skirt and panty hose

mtbr member
    Dropper etc, yep.

mtbr member

Following that logic wouldn't a rigid bike be even more fun then? Smaller wheels, skinnier tires, and sketchy brakes could also add to the fun!
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    At this point, there is not enough adjustment for me, and I want me seat closer to the frame in the down position than any dropper allows. They are way to expensive for what they offer. I'm never in that big a hurry that i won't stop and lower my seat, or go back and hit another section with my seat down. Seems like it's a tech part for people who are in a bit too much of a hurry on rides through the woods. When they are integrated, and not hundreds of bucks....I'll have one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    I've been riding single track for over 20 years and my first dropper came with the new Kona. I know...took awhile but I was always having so much fun riding I never gave a dropper much thought until now. After all these years I'm so used to riding tech sections with the seat where it sits I've had to force myself to use it. I like it but for the typical New England trails I ride the tech sections come and go very quickly. I would constantly be doing the 'up/down' thing for much of the trail so I only drop it on longer tech sections.

Being 6'4" with 36" inseam I found one of the biggest benefits is the opposite of what most would think regarding a dropper. Prior to droppers, my normal seat position was down a bit as a compromise and lived with never having full leg extension when climbing. Now I can FULLY extend my seat in climbing sections when needed which is awesome.

As for aesthetics...I'm only concerned with function and what makes the bike better. Not worried about what it looks like. If you ride hard and fast enough nobody's gonna see it anyways!
    Agree on the seat height point. There is a learning curve we all go through adapting from rigid to dropper. First is raising the seat to get full exstention. This is especially true for guys that don't road bike and have trained their muscles etc for a lower mtb saddle height. I have friends that have had droppers for over a season and they are still working on raising their saddle. Next is gripping your seat with your thighs or knees on downhill. Soon enough most will transition away from this as well in favor of getting the seat completely out of the way. If I'm riding "aggressively" I'll drop my seat for a single root or rock. Dropping my saddle has necome second nature like braking or shifting.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    I ride a Hard Tail after having full suspension, for the reasons you mentioned, "the hard-tail is more fun! You feel more connected, it feels more alive"
    I consider my dropper a safety device.
    I think I would rather ride a hard-tail with a dropper than a full-sus without.

mtbr member
    What's a dropper post again?
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong here, I'm not "anti-dropper" or a modern luddite. I just can't quite get into the aesthetics. Nothing is as good looking as a slick carbon XC bike with a appropriately tall carbon seatpost.
    Huh. To each their own and all, but I much prefer the tapered look of a dropper, or even a thinner post with a shim. Guess that's a good thing, since I'd still use a dropper even if I thought it was fugly!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    it's just called a seatpost now. Dropper used to be used to differentiate from fixed-length posts, which no one makes anymore because they are worthless. Kind of like inner tubes, cantilever brakes, front derailleurs and quick release wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just get a dropper/frame combo that give you the correct saddle height when slammed to the bottom.

mtbr member
    I think I would rather ride a hard-tail with a dropper than a full-sus without.
    Absolutely.

And I rode more than enough steep sketchy stuff with my seat high to know that it's a lot more fun with it down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Something to argue about on MTBR ad nauseam.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Who needs a dropper anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksqlxbqDhVs

mtbr member
    It was a moment of passion. It's a mitigating factor in my defense.

mtbr member

You'd be wrong. And, an opinion is not a fact....an opinion can never be factually correct, or incorrect. But then, if you had read and digested my post, you'd know that.

mtbr member
    If anything, I need my dropper MORE on my XC hardtail because the trails I actually use it on are more varied in pitch. The trails I ride my enduro bike on are usually straight grinding up a 2000' climb in 5 miles or less, and there's rarely a break from the climbing until the top.

I never understood XC guys who kept they seats glued to their taint. I actuallys used to stop and lower my seat on longer descents in XC races, and I'd blow past all the guys with their seats up. It's funny how XCers are still slow to adopt the dropper when it's such a sure way to shave time. Maybe XC is still painfully un-technical like it was when I competed?

banned
    Nov 2017
    it's just called a seatpost now. Dropper used to be used to differentiate from fixed-length posts, which no one makes anymore because they are worthless. Kind of like inner tubes, cantilever brakes, front derailleurs and quick release wheels.
    Sez teh king of koolaid😂

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    If anything, I need my dropper MORE on my XC hardtail because the trails I actually use it on are more varied in pitch. The trails I ride my enduro bike on are usually straight grinding up a 2000' climb in 5 miles or less, and there's rarely a break from the climbing until the top.

I never understood XC guys who kept they seats glued to their taint. I actuallys used to stop and lower my seat on longer descents in XC races, and I'd blow past all the guys with their seats up. It's funny how XCers are still slow to adopt the dropper when it's such a sure way to shave time. Maybe XC is still painfully un-technical like it was when I competed?
    Well I certainly can't speak for the local racers, but watching Stellenbosch, many of those riders were sporting droppers. Although...if I'm recalling correctly, Sam Gaze and Nino Schurter....weren't. o_0 Functionally, I love my dropper, and I use it. But yeah, XC is still not super technical.

Cycologist
    I kind of wish I hadn't started reading this thread…

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    This. This guy sounds like he really needs a road bike or something. It's the 21st Century. I can't imagine deliberately going down a mountain with my saddle at roadie height.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    This. This guy sounds like he really needs a road bike or something. It's the 21st Century. I can't imagine deliberately going down a mountain with my saddle at roadie height.
    SO you read the OP's post then, the one where he said he didn't like the way droppers LOOKED not that he didn't enjoy using one...
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    It's the 21st Century. I can't imagine deliberately going down a mountain with my saddle at roadie height.
    It's actually not so bad, I even manage to have fun.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Old school riding...body English is all one needs.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Elitest thrill junkie

Because making up a few seconds on the DH in an XC race doesn't really make a difference. You spend so little time there compared to how much time you spend on flats and a climb in a race, even when the DH is long. Seeing (and experiencing) how other cat 1 riders do the downhills, even without droppers, it's simply not that much of a difference. These guys are skilled and while using the dropper can make the descent FUNNER, SAFER and EASIER, it doesn't really make it noticeably faster, even on rough XC stuff. I'm running one on my fat-bike right now at the end of winter (well, it's over now except for crust-riding that is too warm currently) and my experience was just that. It's fun, cool to be able to drop the seat, but I'm not markedly faster with it. The XC guys are pushing their rigs to the limit downhill and everywhere else. Is there a benefit to dropping? Sure, but just like some of the other things we use, the benefit isn't going to apply all the time in every situation, even when being as specific as "long downhills". Just thinking that "downhill" means that you are faster on a dropper and all-mountain bike is a mistake IME.

In my experience, XC is not painfully non-technical, but that's because the places I've lived are generally mountainous. I wouldn't expect the midwest or some other locations to be very technical, no matter what kind of riding you are doing. Again, it's a mistake to assume that the XC races are non-technical in CO, AZ, NM, UT, etc...

I run a dropper and for the local XC series, I was about 50/50 as far as whether I'd use it in the race. Some of the races were not suited for it with lots of short ups and downs where you really never get going that fast down, some of them had some longer steep downhills whee it made sense to leverage the advantage. It was not consistent though.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Since it was painfully un-technical when you competed I don't think you were blowing by people on downhills because you stopped to lower your seat, you were just passing slower people that you would have passed anyway.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I kind of wish I hadn't started reading this thread…

LOL. It's not too hard to imagine what gizmos they will need to sell soon to keep profits up. Future high-end bikes will come with a built-in smart phone that automatically adjusts the seat, autobrakes for you, a laser light to illuminate the perfect trail line in front of you, automatic electric shifting, it will automatically adjust your suspension, etc. If it has e-power you don't even need to pedal. You just sit on the bike, turn the handlebars once in a while, and pretend to ride. You are basically on a two-wheeled expensive off-road vehicle, like a $200,000 version of a Cadillac Escalade. The bike will be way more advanced than the most expensive motorcycle. This is why singlespeeds are a popular knee-jerk reaction to all of the new tech that swamps expensive bikes.

mtbr member
    LOL. It's not too hard to imagine what gizmos they will need to sell soon to keep profits up.
    I think it's the other way around, people love tech and people demand tech. Gravity Dropper started because a rider wanted a better solution to a height right and made his own. When people started showing interest big companies saw the potential and jumped in the game, so to me it almost seems more of a grassroots movement. Nobody has to buy one, I haven't yet.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Droppers are for people who can't ride a bike properly anyway. Droppers are like the bumpers at the bowling alley.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Don't like the way dropper posts look...?

OK, well I can't see the dropper post with my feet on the pedals and the grips in my hands. Maybe spend more time in that position? Just a thought....

Always in the wrong gear
    I kind of wish no one had invented droppers....-b8a54fd3-b8eb-4a42-9ff4-da1685098bd8.jpg
    Need? No.
    But Man, riding bikes is mo’ funner with the seat down.

I rode for several years with a rigid post on my HT after selling my dropper equipped FS. I didn’t ever walk anything because my post was in the way. Body position was sub-optimal for sure, but I managed.
    Having made the jump, I think a dropper is even more awesome on a HT (and SS) than FS. Obviously a big help for the really steep stuff, but I was surprised how much easier manuals and hops were for things like water bars and logs. Places where there is no rear suspension to soak up hits, so it’s all in the legs.

Surprisingly, I think it’s awesome on an SS as well, where climbing sometimes requires exaggerated mashing, and so much standing, that a low seat doesn’t much matter.
    I can see the ambivalence for an avg XC race, but for all-around riding on an XC bike, hell yes. I’d rate it up there with Tubeless in the ‘never going back to the old way’ category.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Well I certainly can't speak for the local racers, but watching Stellenbosch, many of those riders were sporting droppers. Although...if I'm recalling correctly, Sam Gaze and Nino Schurter....weren't. o_0 Functionally, I love my dropper, and I use it. But yeah, XC is still not super technical.
    Interesting that you posted this. Yesterday I looked at Ninos bike, no dropper, why not? the current XC courses look rather difficult to me. Curious to know if any of the XC pros are using droppers, apparently so. Good to know since I like mine so much. I am not a young rider at 60, I really need my dropper off road and I honestly think I is one of the best upgrades since I started riding about 18 years ago. They look ugly? I sure do not care, and do I have an ugly dropper the Gravity Dropper Turbo

mtbr member
    I would want a dropper on this course? looks like a difficult section to me, I remember when the XC courses looked a lot more tame than this.Should one look to the pros for clear concise information on bike setup? I do admire that he can excel without a dropper, how about with one.I kind of wish no one had invented droppers....-nino-schurter-e32f7bcc-a330-44a6-95cb-d5fa2d4fdab-resize-750.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter58 View Post
    I would want a dropper on this course? looks like a difficult section to me, I remember when the XC courses looked a lot more tame than this.Should one look to the pros for clear concise information on bike setup? I do admire that he can excel without a dropper, how about with one.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nino-schurter-e32f7bcc-a330-44a6-95cb-d5fa2d4fdab-resize-750.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	1192770
    I'm wondering how that course really looked. It appears to have been taken with a lens which is altering the true dimensions. Kind of looks like a fisheye lens? Or something close. That's definitely not a "natural" view.

mtbr member
    That's definitely not a "natural" view.
    No but some of those World Cup courses are crazy steep, if you or I rode it that's how we'd describe it to our friends
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    many other pics on the internet of challenging modern xc courses.someday i would like to attend a uci event. I kind of wish no one had invented droppers....-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-__mtb.jpg

Cycologist
    ^ Aw man, should be a penalty for getting off your bike, this ain't cyclocross!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    No but some of those World Cup courses are crazy steep, if you or I rode it that's how we'd describe it to our friends
    ....after we healed up from the crash.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    SO you read the OP's post then, the one where he said he didn't like the way droppers LOOKED not that he didn't enjoy using one...
    I read it. I kinda agree. I almost bought a 150mm dropper because it'd put my saddle at almost exactly the right height. Unfortunately it would have been ~4mm too long and I didn't want to risk it.

mtbr member
    You guys are forgetting the most important reason for a dropper, looking cool sitting on your bike with your feet planted on the ground waiting for your buddies at the trail head. That's why I got the biggest dropper (175mm) that would fit my frame.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Agree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    You guys are forgetting the most important reason for a dropper, looking cool sitting on your bike with your feet planted on the ground waiting for your buddies at the trail head.
    No, it's so that you can stop on a slope and put your foot down without falling arse over tit down the hill in front of a bunch of hikers who try not to laugh while politely asking if you are ok.

mtbr member
    I don't know, the one XC race I ever won, I won simply because I was a better descender than the others in the top 5. That course was probably an anomaly though-- it was one huge loop. Non-stop climbing to the top and then a long descent all the way to the finish line. I practically killed myself to hang with the top 5; stopped to lower my seat at the top, and then said goodbye.

I agree with you though that XC races are normally won on the climbs, since that is how you spend perhaps 90% of your race time. However, in a long course, those seconds shaved add up. How many seconds does that extra pound of seatpost add to your time?

Cycologist
    No, it's so that you can stop on a slope and put your foot down without falling arse over tit down the hill in front of a bunch of hikers who try not to laugh while politely asking if you are ok.
    But that's how I meet chicks!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mr Pig again.

banned
    Nov 2017

Or, you know, you could just lean the bike to one side a tad and put a foot down with a rigid post at full height. What a concept!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawReynolds View Post
    Or, you know, you could just lean the bike to one side a tad and put a foot down with a rigid post at full height. What a concept!!!
    I'm not conveying a concept but something I actually did.

Elitest thrill junkie
    How many seconds does that extra pound of seatpost add to your time?
    Speed on the flats and uphills is about weight to watts ratio and the faster you go, wind resistance starts to come into it too. If you can shave a pound with no significant disadvantage, it will make you faster. 1 second every few minutes is a huge advantage. For most of the highly skilled XCers, they can descend hardtails or XC bikes with the seat up just as fast as guys riding with much more travel and droppers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    If you shred gnar downill and like to pedal back up the mountain, droppers make sense.

But I see a lot of people riding droppers who don't really need droppers.

I'm not yet ready to shell out $300 for something that adds extra weight, maintenance, and complexity to my bike. I can still ride pretty fast without a dropper. I'd only get one if I lived closer to trails with jumps, downhill trails, or big mountains.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

DFL
    Untitled by Brett Valentine, on Flickr
    Untitled by Brett Valentine, on Flickr

It definitely looks cooler slammed. I need to buy a 170mm post for the ultimate cool factor. It's only money, right?
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

Lone Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    ^ Aw man, should be a penalty for getting off your bike, this ain't cyclocross!
    There Iz,
    You get passed by the guys who got the balls and the skills to ride what you cant.

What I don't get is why they call those courses XC, they should be re-named,
    XTRA-C.
    “I seek only the Flow”,

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Ya know,
    I think I'll start a thread and call it,,,

I kind of wish no one had invented Cross bikes,
    or maybe, Slack bikes,
    or Plus tires,,yeah that's the ticket ! ~
    “I seek only the Flow”,

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Ya know,

or maybe, Slack bikes,
    I rode my slack dropperized plus bike today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tealy View Post
    I'd only get one if I lived closer to trails with jumps, downhill trails, or big mountains.
    Sounds like it's time to move.

mtbr member
    I wish they'd never invented them either...

Then I wouldn't know I need one to ride how I wanna ride o_0

i.e. of late I've been riding fixed... but, it's a f-ing pain in the @r$e - when you forget to raise it for a climb or forget to drop it for a descent...

Which, when you're deprived of oxygen is quite easy I found on last nights ride.

Trails were shortish runs, w/ a lot of up, then down. I forgot one of each & hated every second of those 2 sections/runs (especially the climb one).

My conclusion is: a dropper allows you to be an XC racer on the climbs & a DH'er on the downs. If so inclined you can middle it & be a commuter.

All at the press of a button!

New 150mm dropper installed in a weeks time. :woohoo:

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Ya know,

or maybe, Slack bikes,

Swing and a miss.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I did not even make it that far. He lost me at “aesthetics”.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Norđwegr
    I kind of wish no one had invented droppers....-ectm7tx.jpg

Here's a 19lb XC bike with a dropper for the threadstarter

Bikesexual
    I broke down, and I have a dropper on the way. I hope its as good as it sounds.

Brand X Ascend II

Any pro-tips?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I broke down, and I have a dropper on the way. I hope its as good as it sounds.

Brand X Ascend II

Any pro-tips?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    In Tijeras Creek.
    You may need another way to carry your tools, etc.

I believe that is the same as my Cascade. I was banging my head on the wall trying to install it, then finally figured out that they had sent me the wrong cable kit. With the correct cable kit, easy to install.

You will enjoy it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast