mtbr member
    Feb 2007

How to use a bike patch?

I was watching the news this morning and the weatherman was talking about this new tire patch kit and he said that they was going to talk about how to use them. So I said to myself that this could be interesting. When he came back on and started talking about how to use the patch he said to put the patch on the inside of the tire and then all you have to do is put the tube back in and your tire is fixed. He said nothing about using the patch on your bikes tube at all. And when he tried to put air back in the tube he couldn't even get the chuck on the valve.

I ride with tools
    He was close - you gotta put the patch on the inside of the tube. That way, the air pressure keeps the patch tight up against the rubber.

My Brain Hurts!
    I thought you put the patch on the inside of your arm? but that is only if you wanted to quit biking....and who wants to do that?
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Give it a crank
    There's a 10% chance of heavy perspiration it could work, weather permitting. Some glue on the sunny side of the patch, on the partly cloudy tube, with any luck the patch and the hole in the tube could align before sunset. Use a barometer to check for any tire pressure changes after the repair. Add additional atmospheric pressure to the tube in case of heavy perspiration while pedaling.

Members who have read this thread: 0