mtbr member
    Jun 2005

How far do you drive to get to the trails?

The closest "okay" trails to my house are a 20 minute drive away. Slightly better ones are approx 35 minutes away and much better ones are a 1- 2 hour drive away.

I'm kind of getting sick of having to drive so far to get to the good trails. Anyone else in the same boat? Does it impact your riding? Sometimes I "settle" for the lesser trails because I don't feel like driving to or can't find someone to go with me to the trails that are farther away. I often end up regretting this.

bi-winning
    I often ride about 50 minutes to trails.
    Or, drive 20 minutes to the same trails.

Or, drive 30 minutes to a different set of trails.

Or, drive 0.5 - 2.5 hours for a race.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

All fat, all the time.
    I'm only 25 mins away from one of the best trails in Indiana so I'm happy. & about the same from a few others in the same area...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Closest single track is literally directly across the road - a nice little 8km loop through a rural towns wildlife, bush park.
    Next up would be a 15 minute drive to a forrestry area with trails every where.
    I have an eight hour endurance race 1/2 away in two weeks
    Closest specific MTB park is on the coast an 1 1/4 away - but worth the drive.

I really am spoiled for choice up here

What could go wrong ...
    i only have one 6 mile trail close to me so I drive from 1 hour to 12 hours to go ride trails I like
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    I'm very new to mountain biking, but the nearest trail to me starts in my driveway. I have a 2.75 mile double track ATV trail around the 300 acre farm my family owns. It starts with a 1/2 mile 270 ft climb that kicks my butt. It's not a very impressive trail, but 2 laps makes a pretty good 45 minute workout and includes climbing loose sandstone, roots, rocks, down trees, and even a stream crossing.

Drive 30 minutes and I can get to 3 or 4 10+ mile single track rides through state parks/forests.

Drive 1 to 1.5 hours I can be in Raystown PA or Davis WV, which I hear are some really great places to ride.

I have no idea why I just started riding a mountain bike 2 months ago. I've lived here for more than 20 of the 42 years of my life. But I'm enjoying myself now!!

mtbr member
    200 yards to the trails from my front door

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I drive about 25 miles to get to the closest set of good, lengthy trails. The next closest ones are like 50 miles.

It really sucks sense until may I lived 4 miles from ~30 miles of absolutely sick single track.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

Unpredictable
    7 minutes by car or 20 by bike. Yes it would affect my riding if there were no trails close, but I mix bush with road and trail and beachside riding so it is all good anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    35 minutes to my regular trails. 1.5 hours to other favorite trails.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I ride there. Usually between 7 to 26 miles to get there, depending on the trail. It’s nice to be able to warm up properly before hitting the trails, you know?
    Uh oh! Someone just stole your KOM!

likes bicycles
    80 miles from the Grand Canyon to Flagstaff. Takes about 1.5 hrs but feels like 30 mins. Such an ecologically diverse drive that I'm fully distracted for most of it. And let's be real, I gotta get that fix.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    4 miles to the nearest at San-Lee
    15 miles to Governers Creek
    23 miles to Harris Lake County Park
    40 miles to Lake Crabtree County Park

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I've got hours of singletrack starting w/in a half mile of my house, as do most folks who live here in Los Alamos. The restaurants are crappy, the women are plain, but if you like rocky singletrack right out your front door, we've got you covered.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Gotta love Idaho!
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

Terrain Sculptor
    Drive? Naw, I've got a bicycle. I sometimes drive to town if I've got a lot of stuff to haul.

I can ride singletrack from my backyard for 150 - 200 miles in a straight line in 3 directions. If I go north, I hit ocean at 15 miles.

10 minute drive to a simple and easy 6 mile loop. I ride there once or twice a month.
    25 minute drive to a rec area with 32 miles of loops ranging from beginner to advanced. I do this 5 times a week.
    45 minute drive to a 12 mile loop thats intermediate to advanced level. I ride there a few times a summer.
    1 hour drive and there are two parks within 5 miles of each other. Intermediate to advanced. Both are a lot of fun.
    1 hour + and there are all kinds of parks that I've yet to explore.
    10 hours away is Copper Harbor which I will be riding next year at some point.

I have it pretty damn good.

mtbr member
    I ride my bike 2-3 miles up some residential streets...and I'm there. Franklin Mountains State Park in El Paso, TX.

I consider myself lucky.

mtbr member
    I have four main trail systems all within 12 miles of my house. The first one starts a couple of blocks away. The other three are either a 10-15 minute drive or an hour ride.... and literally thousands of miles of jeep roads and quad tracks heading in every direction pretty much right from my door as well. Yes, I feel very fortunate.

Yes, it would affect my riding if I had nothing that close. I ride trails every morning before work which would be impossible if they were an hour away like yours. Mountain biking would become a two or three times a month hobby instead of a daily lifestyle. That would stink.

Hang in there. Hopefully you'll get a chance to be closer to trails at some point. It's still worth it.

A few of my local trails.

SacPass 034

Cave Lake with Russ and Randy 010

local trails rider
    The first pieces of single track start about a minute's ride from home. Then I keep connecting them until I have a loop that is a good length for the day.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Anywhere from 10 minutes to 9 hours.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    there are good trails 10min from me, and several really good trails all under 1.5hrs from me. but i have driven 20hrs to ride some epic trails in UT/AZ/CO/WY/NM

mtbr member
    I'm in mountain biking hell for Michigan. I'm in metro Detroit and my closest trails are a 45 min drive away. Problem is there is no decent or direct route to get to them. Fortunately I can commute to work to get some miles in but for sure my next house will be closer to trails and park systems rather than work.

Retro on Steroids
    I ride from my house.

Brant-C.
    everything is 2 or more hours away. i live in the country. lots of country road rides. my wife and i savor the trails when we get to go which is 1 or 2 times per month on average.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    I live in the swamp, so 45mins to an hour to my local trail and another 1-2 hours beyond that to even better riding.

On my work commute, the trailhead is my back door.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    30 minutes. It's dirt, but I wouldn't call it good....

mtbr member
    15 yards out my back door, my trail begins! I'm lucky as I don't ever have to pack up the car for a ride. Conservation land, easements and bridal trails make up my local system.

Weekends are like this: Wake up, get changed, check out bike, saddle up and ride. Two hours later, shower, get dressed and do whatever. No driving involved.

mtbr member
    15-30 minutes depending on where I go. I can't wait for the trails to be built more on my end of town.

mtbr member
    Twenty minutes to 25+ miles of damn good singletrac! No need for me to go any farther than that.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    Some surprisingly good trails within or close to the city, Reykjavik is very hilly, I ride those regularly. A good few of them start 5-15 minutes from my house, by bike.The worst thing is that these trails are all pretty short, I can finish riding most of a trail system in an hour.

I ride these trails usually if I want to ride in the mornings before work. If I didn't have that option I think I would ride way less.

A bike park (Iceland's first!) is opening in two weeks, maybe 15 minutes drive from my house.
    A really, really fun ~2hr trailride is 25 min drive.

I have it pretty good I think.

mtbr member
    Nearest trails are about 5 min bike ride away. I'm fortunate to be soo close; 1 of the reasons that I discovered mountain biking!

Nat
    mtbr member
    I usually ride from my house but if the trail is worth the commute I'll gladly drive to get to it.

Road biking is nice because it can always start from the house.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    25 miles to my local trail. Luckily I really enjoy it. Other than that 1 1/2 to 2 hours to many enjoyable trails. Oh, and lots of fireroad/oil roads within about 10-15 miles.
    If ya ain't bleedin'...ya ain't ridin'.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Have it Lucky Here with 10 trails varying from 20min drive to a 50min drive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Smaller trail system within 5 miles of my house, but it's really nice in that some of the single track goes right along a salt marsh. About 7 miles from my girlfriend's house is a small park with a total of 12 or so miles of single track, some pretty darn technical. The rest of the trails I ride are between 30 minutes to an hour drive, and the way if affects my riding is the longer the driver the longer the ride I expect to do.

David B.

beater
    I generally ride from home. I'm lucky enough to live in a city backing up to open land with ~75 miles of singletrack in the hills. The closest trailheads are within 100-200 yards of my door.

If we go further afield for bigger rides, the drive is 30 minutes or more, depending on where we're headed.

I bike long tyme.
    All xc trails are a solid 30 minutes away. Any worthwhile downhilling is at least 6 hours.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

Des(s)ert Rat

I'm pretty lucky...

If I ride for 10 minutes I can ride this trail system:

If I drive for 20 minutes, I get here:

A 30 minute drive and I arrive here:

45 minutes gets me here:

And an hour will find me here:

If I go much further, than I can hit Vail, Moab, Aspen... You get the idea....

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Drive ?

75% of the time, I ride from home with no street/road riding involved.

If I do drive, I keep it short, < 2hrs and plan for an area where I can get at least 4hrs+ of riding in, to make up for all the drive time.

mtbr member
    closest dirt is 20 minutes away.
    closest good singletrack is 30 minutes.

there are a pretty good amount of trails in DFW, just none of them are all that great.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The only singletrack near me is about an hour drive away. It's a 6 mile loop and is actually the only loop I've gone on.
    2005 Gary Fisher Advance
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Try 385. I'm 222.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 07-29-2010 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For a pretty decent set of trail I ride from my house. About 1/4 mile to the trailhead.

Another good trail is 5 miles from my house.

A REALLY good trail system is 15 minutes away.

Santos (friggin awesome trail system) is about 45 minutes.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I used to live on a trailhead now I have to ride 2-6 miles.

ride
    I was fortunate to be able to pick where I live based on riding opportunities. I've got 3 county parks with 4 trailheads all a short ride from my door. Otherwise, the closest USFS access is only 10 minutes away and it opens up days of connectivity. I love being surrounded by public land
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

2006 Yeti AS-X
    The closest singletrack to my house is 25 miles. The farthest local drive I have done to ride singletrack is about 90 miles from my house to Lawrence, KS to ride the river trails.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

zen
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In Durango, Horse Gulch is literally in my backyard...

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    15-30 minutes depending on where I go. I can't wait for the trails to be built more on my end of town.
    Why wait? Build them!

I know compared to a lot of riders, I'm blessed to live in the middle of the wilderness but I built all of the trails I ride on within 10 miles of my house.

All the MTB singletrack within 100 miles (there are hundreds of miles of it) was built by like minded people.

I chose the location for my house because of the topography.

mtbr member
    Local trails I can ride to in 10 minutes. better stuff is a 15 minute drive.
    Much better stuff is 1:15 away. The cream of the crop (kingdom trails vt) is 3.5 hours.
    29ers are more fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

About 2 minutes by bike to the nearest 12-15 miles of high quality singletrack. I feel very lucky.

Pedaler of dirt
    I ride to my local trails, simple, but fun single track about 10 mins ride from home but still in town.

I drive out to some better trails about 100 miles away every now and then, but only when I have to time to spend the day out there.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Golden Colorado....5 minute ride on the bike to the trail....little more bike path to numerous other trails, love it. Driving within an hour is endless amounts of trail.....

mtbr member
    The Santos trailhead with a 60-70 mile system is 7 miles from my house.
    Sad thing is I've lived here for 12 years and just now appreciating and riding it (been too busy on my 3/4 mile moto track in the backyard )

Candlestick Maker
    I moved where I did for the trails.

To get to the trails: I go down my driveway, take a right, go down the dirt road for 0.2 miles and enter singletrack which accesses over 1 million acres of Pike National Forest. Yay!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_National_Forest

HouseToSingletrack
    baker

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    10 minute ride to get to a trail network of int - > adv trails, 10 or so miles in length
    30 minute ride to get to a 8 mile single track section + 20 miles of double track/dirt road/levee
    5 minute drive from work to get to an intermediate trail network, 8 or so total miles. (great afterwork/weekday riding spot, especially when the sun is setting in the winter.)
    an hour + drive puts alot of options in range from trails with lots of man made features to easy but long xc routes.

the test dummy
    the vietnam collage rock area is pretty much my back yard so ya
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Beer Engineer
    Closest singletrack is a 10 minute ride. 20 minute drive to premium trails.

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    10 minute bike ride to some XC/DH forest stuff(Wharnecliffe woods,Steve Peats home turf)
    10 miles to some top natural stuff(Peak District UK)
    But we regularly do day trips to the Lake District(120miles+each way)and North Wales(140miles+each way)and have done a day trip to Scotland once (270miles each way)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Any city folk that have it tough finding decent places to ride relatively reasonably close to home?

Fartographer

Half Hour

I'm spoiled here in SLC. Seriously world class trails are only 30 to 45 minutes away. It's still hard to get everything together and make the drive more than 2 or 3 times a week, though. At least it has been lately. And yeah, I have been getting a little frustrated. As a result, I just bought a CX bike so I can get in quickie rides from my house. Even if I'm not riding great singletrack, I know pedaling keeps my head straight and keeps my cardio up and my belly down.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

The Weatherman
    I have to drive anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hour to get to decent trails (Cloudcroft/Las Cruces/El Paso).

There are trail options about 1/2 mile from my house, but nothing spectacular. Okay for an afterwork quickie, but certainly nothing to get excited about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well, I live in Portland and they hate mountain bikers here. But the good news is that the riding in the rest of Oregon makes it worth it. Closest decent legal trails are 25 minutes with great riding about an hour away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Shuttle

I can ride The Wasatch Crest out my back door, With a shuttle it is an hour of driving. How far would you drive for a shuttle?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    4-7hrs of single track depending on your speed 200 meters from my door.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    About 1/2 block.

turtles make me hot
    On Long Island, we have some really good trails. I drive ten minutes to the State Park that's filled with lots of fun stuff. Twenty will get me to Stillwell Woods that's also great. A 40 minute drive gets me to Glacier Ridge which is my all time favorite place.
    I'm in Florida a lot. Noclutch, you're lucky to be so close to Santos. I'm always in Tampa and have to drive like 70 miles to Santos or Boyette. If I lived there and did that regularly, my wife would have a coronary.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I can ride out my door to miles and miles of trails. (live in Upper Michigan) If I want to go to Marquette, where there are even more awsome trails, its only 14 miles.

Members who have read this thread: 0