Holly Smokes! Night riding rocks!- Mtbr.com
    Bikesexual

Holly Smokes! Night riding rocks!

Joined a local group on a night ride in one of our local trails. They even lend me some lights!

That was awesome! Maybe I'm wrong but the trail seemed easier!

There is a section I've climbed before, never took it the other direction, it seemed too technical. It is a tough climb.

I couldn't believe how I bombed down like I did. Not sure if it was because I'm following a group or what!

Now I understand why so many of you do it!

Awesome night riding passion.

Now I need a bike for night riding.. Lol j/k! But lights are on the way, although helmet lights are hard to find.

Thanks for reading my rant!

Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Congradulations! Welcome to the wonderful world of night riding. I got a great night ride in tonight too.

mtbr member
    Sometimes I think night IS easier.

You don't have your attention being diverted to everything around you - only your little spot.
    You can sometimes tell technical stuff better, as you have shadows that form on irregularities, alerting you to a change in terrain.

Night is awesome.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    My first 2 night rides were not that comfortable. The first one I only had bar lights so Cornering felt like I was blind. Other than that it was a blast. My second ride I had helmet and bar lights. I was feeling slightly vertigo. Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thereís a great lights forum on MTBR. Recommend you look it up. I learned a lot about light setups and equipment. Iíve found helmet light to be a must and bar mounts an added nice to have. If itís a dusk or dawn ride, usually I just mount my helmet light. I use the ITUO lights. Have been good quality for me at a reasonable price compared to similar specs.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by jpzeroday View Post
    Thereís a great lights forum on MTBR. Recommend you look it up. I learned a lot about light setups and equipment. Iíve found helmet light to be a must and bar mounts an added nice to have. If itís a dusk or dawn ride, usually I just mount my helmet light. I use the ITUO lights. Have been good quality for me at a reasonable price compared to similar specs.
    Thanks jp - I was in there yesterday, and do have some ideas. For now I order some bar lights from Amazon, recommended by one of the riders. I've not decided on what to get for my helmet.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Took a first time night rider out this week & he loved it!

I find riding at night, you ignore most of the micro terrain & let the bike do what it's made to do ^^

Faster?

The senses are heightened at night, so it feels faster.

The speedo doesn't lie though, I'm usually 2-3 kph slower in the dark o_0

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Took a first time night rider out this week & he loved it!

I find riding at night, you ignore most of the micro terrain & let the bike do what it's made to do ^^

Faster?

The senses are heightened at night, so it feels faster.

The speedo doesn't lie though, I'm usually 2-3 kph slower in the dark o_0

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    You are absolutely right, I think my avg. speed was under 7mph (1500' of climbing though)

I think the earlier point of being totally focused on your line, is what felt different.

Maybe less apprehensive, as you don't see the entire picture. I always said, I didn't think it was a good idea to ride at night, boy was I wrong.

Now, alone? maybe not a good idea.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Thanks jp - I was in there yesterday, and do have some ideas. For now I order some bar lights from Amazon, recommended by one of the riders. I've not decided on what to get for my helmet.
    Look forward to talking to you in the light forum. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people there that share your affection for riding at night. I night ride yr. round but especially in the hot months when southwestern daytime temperatures can become pretty oppressive in the desert I live in. Still fun is the major motivation for night rides, welcome to the club!
    Mole

Bikesexual
    [QUOTE=MRMOLE;13614075]

Look forward to talking to you in the light forum. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people there that share your affection for riding at night. I night ride yr. round but especially in the hot months when southwestern daytime temperatures can become pretty oppressive in the desert I live in. Still fun is the major motivation for night rides, welcome to the club!
    Mole
    Thank you Mole. I spent a few hours yesterday there, so I'll be sure to check in with some questions.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I do alot of night riding. Just about all my week day rides are night rides. I am always a bit slower at night on twisty trails since I can't quite go as deep in the turns. Still it is fun. I always run two lights. One on the bars and the other on the helmet. Two lights creates some shadowing which is good for depth perception and allows me to see around turns and straight in front.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Maxxis cult follower
    Ok jcd you convinced me to night ride tonight. I'm pretty low end on lights, just one bar light but I carry two different ones, one for off-road and one for road. I like the telescoping ones for off-road, but they get washed out in traffic so I have a 2nd ultrafire light with a strong center beam to deal with road traffic light pollution.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Ok jcd you convinced me to night ride tonight. I'm pretty low end on lights, just one bar light but I carry two different ones, one for off-road and one for road. I like the telescoping ones for off-road, but they get washed out in traffic so I have a 2nd ultrafire light with a strong center beam to deal with road traffic light pollution.
    Awesome rich! I had a blast! Totally different experience. I went with just loaned handlebar lights, but looking for a helmet one.

Enjoy!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    My first 2 night rides were not that comfortable. The first one I only had bar lights so Cornering felt like I was blind. Other than that it was a blast. My second ride I had helmet and bar lights. I was feeling slightly vertigo. Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    I like one on the bar for general lighting and one on the helmet that I can aim where I want it.
    No moss...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Good times.
    Jcd, itís good to hear how excited you are about it. Itís like a whole new aspect of the sport opened up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I love to night ride. especially coming up soon since it is already in the 90s here. First time I rode at night was at a 24 hour race. nothing like trial by fire I guess. I rode the course first in the day so that helped.

It really helps to have 2 lights to give the 3d depth effect on rocks. I have one hard mounted on the handle bar and one on the helmet. I even tried a color filter for one light to give a slightly different perspective on it. didn't notice. I made a mount for my lights that use gopro mounts for ease of removal.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

the half breed devil
    outrunning your lights sometimes can bring you to that ragged edge of wild-eyed fun...or wide-eyed fear...

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    outrunning your lights sometimes can bring you to that ragged edge of wild-eyed fun...or wide-eyed fear...
    Yeah, timing that is something I need to learn, good times though!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Good times.
    Jcd, itís good to hear how excited you are about it. Itís like a whole new aspect of the sport opened up to you.
    Thanks DJ,

That's right, is like riding a new trail.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Agree with you jcd46 that night riding is a blast. I just picked up a couple of replacement batteries to be ready for the coming season.

Another huge bonus of night riding is that it makes trail that you have ridden hundreds of times in the day, seem like totally new trails.

Plus less traffic and more wildlife.

To Awshucks, I use a bar light and helmet light as well and I have never experienced vertigo while night riding.

mtbr member
    That died in the mid 90's. Todays lights are so bright you cannot outrun them if you buy a good set!

Lupine Wilma on my helmet, Lupine Piko on the bars. If you outrun them, you are going faster than a vechicle on the highway.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

Barely in control
    Night riding with Gen 3 night vision. Anyone tried it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    You go faster than the speed of light?
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Light freak

Spring time in the Front Range

We do our rides at 5am

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Holly Smokes! Night riding rocks!

Iíve opened this thread numerous times and just now noticed the title.

Holly Smokes! and then she goes on a night ride.

Jcd may have been a bit over excited when he posted this thread.

Running a POV at night sure gives a new perspective, like.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    ^^ I was DJ, found it very exciting, and looking forward to the next one.

And how did you miss the title?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    That died in the mid 90's. Todays lights are so bright you cannot outrun them if you buy a good set!

Lupine Wilma on my helmet, Lupine Piko on the bars. If you outrun them, you are going faster than a vechicle on the highway.
    maybe what i think is out-running my lights is poor night vision.

i use a lumina 950 boost on the bar and a cheap but probably 1000 lumen dual beam strapped to my helmet.

either way, every time i go out after work, i'm glad i did.

Maxxis cult follower
    One thing I do have to say about night riding, and this may vary a lot on the local conditions: the rattlesnakes are officially out now. Just saw my first one this year today. What does that have to do with night riding? In the daytime, you can scan the sides of the trail a lot easier than at night. Sometimes the snake is right on the trail or on the side, and if you are going fast enough it's usually no big deal. But if you can't see them at night, and are going slow through some chunky stuff, they can get way more startled than you, and could strike (if of course they have the warmth and energy to do so). I've had some really close calls after sunset, like 1-2 feet from a few of them before I backed up. And sometimes it's not that easy on a bike to back up quickly. Those multiple incidents convinced me to road bike at night during warmer temperatures instead of trail biking after dark. Just something to consider.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

Bikesexual
    One thing I do have to say about night riding, and this may vary a lot on the local conditions: the rattlesnakes are officially out now. Just saw my first one this year today. What does that have to do with night riding? In the daytime, you can scan the sides of the trail a lot easier than at night. Sometimes the snake is right on the trail or on the side, and if you are going fast enough it's usually no big deal. But if you can't see them at night, and are going slow through some chunky stuff, they can get way more startled than you, and could strike (if of course they have the warmth and energy to do so). I've had some really close calls after sunset, like 1-2 feet from a few of them before I backed up. And sometimes it's not that easy on a bike to back up quickly. Those multiple incidents convinced me to road bike at night during warmer temperatures instead of trail biking after dark. Just something to consider.
    Snakes are why I stay in the back of the group .

Now that I will have real lights, I can do some night road riding too!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rattlesnakes are something that I am always looking out for, but at night they take a back seat to skunks. Iíve already heard of two local night rides being ruined by skunks, on one ride a skunk got all four riders.

mtbr member
    Well as far as snakes go you wanna be way in the back or first. First person sees the snake, second person pisses it off, third person gets bit. Snake leaves and the rest of the group can pass.

Skunks? Never had that issue. Javelina though can get quite angry and you should hope your on a down hill

@njcshreds
    Night riding is definitely a trip. The only time I really got nervous is the first time going across a pretty long bridge over some marsh. With the lights ahead you couldn't really tell how big of a drop was on either side. That definitely got the heart pumping!
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    It is exciting to ride at night. I've done it many times for 24 hour races.

Yes, it feels much faster because the scope of focus is so limited with the light.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Well as far as snakes go you wanna be way in the back or first. First person sees the snake, second person pisses it off, third person gets bit. Snake leaves and the rest of the group can pass.

Skunks? Never had that issue. Javelina though can get quite angry and you should hope your on a down hill
    Nobody gets bit by a snake on a bicycle. The snake would have to strike very high and somehow get your foot or ankle instead of either tire, frame, or crank. I bet that snake doesn't even know what just ran his ass over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Nobody gets bit by a snake on a bicycle. The snake would have to strike very high and somehow get your foot or ankle instead of either tire, frame, or crank. I bet that snake doesn't even know what just ran his ass over.
    Rare, but I have heard of it once. I have run over a few snakes even in daylight. Is that a stick? Nope... Sorry snake as I run over it. That is when they get pissed at the next riders.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Rare, but I have heard of it once. I have run over a few snakes even in daylight. Is that a stick? Nope... Sorry snake as I run over it. That is when they get pissed at the next riders.
    i have never seen a snake sunning on the trail at night.

just sayin'...

Elitest thrill junkie
    I totally get that. Here we are concerned about the snowsnakes on the side of the trail. When the snow gets real deep, the sides of the trail can be very soft, which is exactly where the snowsnakes like to hide, and before you know it, one of them grabs your rear wheel and pulls you off the trail!

Holly Smokes! Night riding rocks!-017a13c76f5bb6e11aa065273b4f5d7f095bb4e3f0.jpg

Holly Smokes! Night riding rocks!-15823246_10101007094816108_2359035334515525351_n.jpg

Holly Smokes! Night riding rocks!-24058889_10101321995457698_2418733865296381636_n.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.