Don't believe the Hype...

High End bikes like steriods?

Over a few beers after a ride the other day, a couple buddies and I noticed some major similarities...

Both used to enhance performance

Both used by the insecure

Both users tend to be douche bags (I can see a high end bike if you are actually racing)

Both users probably wax

Got on either because they couldn't keep up with others they train with

Both are primarily used for looks and not there real purpose

Once you start using both, it's very hard be happy with results if not using them

Both get the initial "wow" factor from others ("Wow a Foes" or "Wow that freak is huge")

Both really don't impress other people, except others on them

Both are totally unnecessary

Both make your balls shrink?

Any one got any more?
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Dirt Huffer
    Both make people drool.

Nu-School Trail Rat
    Are we talking high end bikes made by Specialized?

crap magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    Over a few beers after a ride the other day
    Uhhh, exactly how many beers was that?
    I don't have any "high end" bikes but I wish I did.
    Guess I'm a small balled, insecure, douche-bag.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    This must be generalization week in the Passion forum.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_rydster
    Are we talking high end bikes made by Specialized?
    High-end, single speed, full rigid, Specialized bikes, to be exact.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This all depends on your definition of "high end". To me, my $1000 bike is high end, and I love it!

Linoleum Knife
    Over a few beers after a ride the other day, a couple buddies and I noticed some major similarities...
    You're an idiot.

(tired of thinking up witty repartee for these dumb threads)

5,280 feet
    An ample way to demonstrate your complete lack of knowledge on two diverse subjects! Well done!
    My girlfriend recently told me that I have a one-track mind.
    I corrected her and said, "Actually, honey, the term is single track."

mtbr member
    Like a good Estwing vs a rock?

Like insecure people looking for confirmation to a list on a message board?

Both users tend to be douche bags (I can see a high end bike if you are actually racing)
    It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it!

Both users probably wax
    Wax nostalgia. Like stories about the crappy bikes they couldn't afford when they were
    LOSERS!

I think you spilled your beer or sumptin'. Your sentence wasn't quite finished or

Both are primarily used for looks and not there real purpose
    There their, now. Looks like we're enjoying the trail and not frustrated with a crappy bike.

Once you start using both, it's very hard be happy with results if not using them
    Yeah, that rock sure doesn't drive nails like the Estwing.

Both get the initial "wow" factor from others ("Wow a Foes" or "Wow that freak is huge")
    Ohh! That's certainly like another pump to the ego!

Both really don't impress other people, except others on them
    Being impressed and allowing anything but envy to show is simply a matter of being insecure.

Both are totally unnecessary
    What is necessary? Lists on a forum?

Both make your balls shrink?
    I'm not doing that study.

Any one got any more?
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Rolling
    Wishing I was having a beer while reading this thread just now, I noticed an interesting piece of irony.

Envy is usually a result of it.

Nu-School Trail Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    No 29 inch wheels?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I feel stupid just for having read the initial post. BTW, if you're going to be lame and stereotypical, at least learn how to spell steroid correctly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I think you and your friends should keep drinking beer until your outlook on life and people improves. Just don't ride or drive when you're totally inebriated unless you're curious about the existence of an afterlife.

wanna dance?
    Impossible! I refuse to believe that any thread could top Camshafts Specialized thread in its ability to make an OP look like a sad little tool.

And yet, as I post in it, I cannot deny this threads existence.

Hm. It is a mystery which will plague mankind until the ends of time, I expect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I stopped riding the dept. store bikes when I grew up. Maybe when you grow up someday, you will too!

Less beer, more hard work. Chop chop!

Dented n' Spent
    I read it assuming the OP had his tongue firmly planted in cheek. Maybe not?....
    What kind of bike?​ I don'​t know,​ I'm not a bike scien​tist.

Maybe I should have clarified the High End as "Ultra High End". As in all those 4k plus boutique bikes...Not "high end" as in anything higher than a huffy...

I can see 2k if you ride all the time. But when spend twice as much for something that is maybe 5% "better" seems so lame.

I'm like that with everything though...

Like I can see buying a Lexus 460 for 65k if you want a big Lux Sedan. But when you spend twice as much and go for the BMW 760 V12 for 125k just seems like such a waste, even if you have to waste...

Or that clown at the club buying the $500 bottle of Champagne trying to show off...

This was not major political statement...Just making fun of people go overboard. So if you spent 5k on your Ellsworth and you are still the slowest guy in your group maybe you should try some 'roids!
    Last edited by luckybastard; 06-04-2008 at 02:26 PM.

www.krackedskulls.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Kinda agree with you on this.

But if I was filthy rich, I'd rock a 23lb Mojo SL too. Would I do it because I need it or because it would make me a 5 times better rider than my $1000 POS? Hell no. But if I gotta strap something to the top of my supercharged Range Rover, then I guess why not a $5000 bike?
    2007 K2 Lithium 3.0
    1999 Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    You should start a thread...

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
    Kinda agree with you on this.

But if I was filthy rich, I'd rock a 23lb Mojo SL too. Would I do it because I need it or because it would make me a 5 times better rider than my $1000 POS? Hell no. But if I gotta strap something to the top of my supercharged Range Rover, then I guess why not a $5000 bike?
    The Supercharged Range Rover with 24" wheels and low pro tires so it can't go off road? Perfect

www.krackedskulls.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That's the one!
    2007 K2 Lithium 3.0
    1999 Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS

mtbr member
    The Supercharged Range Rover with 24" wheels and low pro tires so it can't go off road? Perfect
    It's cool, he's towing a rock crawler.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Like a good Estwing vs a rock?

Like insecure people looking for confirmation to a list on a message board?

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it!

Wax nostalgia. Like stories about the crappy bikes they couldn't afford when they were
    LOSERS!

I think you spilled your beer or sumptin'. Your sentence wasn't quite finished or

There their, now. Looks like we're enjoying the trail and not frustrated with a crappy bike.

Yeah, that rock sure doesn't drive nails like the Estwing.

Ohh! That's certainly like another pump to the ego!

Being impressed and allowing anything but envy to show is simply a matter of being insecure.

What is necessary? Lists on a forum?

I'm not doing that study.
    Lord have mercy Pat! You have the day off or something?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I can see 2k if you ride all the time. But when spend twice as much for something that is maybe 5% "better" seems so lame.

You know what I think is lame? People who are so dumb and poor they can't even afford to STFU!

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Envy anyone?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Part of me wants to agree that getting passed joggers on your Ellsworth makes you look like a douche, but I can't agree that people who ride a lot and get great joy can't spend his own money on a blingy bike.

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme Moore
    You know what I think is lame? People who are so dumb and poor they can't even afford to STFU!
    LOL,
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

mtbr member
    Maybe I should have clarified the High End as "Ultra High End". As in all those 4k plus boutique bikes...Not "high end" as in anything higher than a huffy...

Like I can see buying a Lexus 460 for 65k if you want a big Lux Sedan. But when you spend twice as much and go for the BMW 760 V12 for 125k just seems like such a waste, even if you have to waste...

Or that clown at the club buying the $500 bottle of Champagne trying to show off...

This was not major political statement...Just making fun of people go overboard. So if you spent 5k on your Ellsworth and you are still the slowest guy in your group maybe you should try some 'roids!
    The problem here is you are talking about relatives. This is why people that
    have vastly differing wealths should never talk about money.

The guy that buys the $500 bottle of Champagne may not be trying to show
    off, you just think so because you can't afford to do so.

And actually, unbeknown to you, it is a major statement about you.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

After hitting rock bottom, Luckybastard started to dig furiously.

Seriously dude, talk about major jealously. Do you know what I think when I see someone with a Jones Ti, new Ferrari, Porsche, or similar item? I think good for them, they are lucky they could get what they wanted, I hope I will be able to one day.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

TLL
    mtbr member

Both users probably wax

I know you are just trying to be funny, but your post shows a complete lack of understanding of how steroids are used, and why they are used.

I can tell you that those that use them are not insecure and are certainly able to keep up with others.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member

Ahhh, so you are the owner of the official bang for buck sensibility meter I have been hearing about. Should we call you before our purchases?

lol...I'm sooo envious. Obviously, some of you guys get upset when your ultra cool bikes don't impress everyone. I'm sorry, I will never question why people seem to spend money on bling instead of things worth while. I will just say "wow you are awesome because you bought then most expensive thing available!" Thank you for teaching me a lesson.

I have to go pick up Paris Hilton in my Bentley...

www.krackedskulls.com

Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
    I see this phenomenon in my customers every year at this time. This is spring detox. As soon as it warms up, people start eating raw foods and exercising and don't realize that and the heat are stirring up toxins. All sorts of fun stuff bubbles up, and people get impatient, negative, irritable, resentful and just plain nasty. Every year at this time I spend about 3 weeks opening e-mails going "WTF?????" Everyone's stomping around looking for someone to punch.

I like the comparison of MTB'ing to steroids. Neurons that fire together wire together and I'm sure mtb'ing contributes to aggressive behaviors much the same way steroids do. I don't think it's the high-end bikes. I think it's the sport itself.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

Des(s)ert Rat
    I ride expensive bikes. But I like to ride where I won't see people and I usually ride alone. I guess I'm out to impress the wildlife? Seriously, I can tell the difference between the high end and not so high end. Some of it is worth it and some of it isn't. I ride what I like and don't worry about it. My high end steel bike rarely gets a second look (to replace it would cost close to $3000), it doesn't have a well-known label, it was built just for me. Can I tell the difference between it and my low-end Surly 1x1? You bet! Do I still love the Surly? You bet! Do I care if people know what the high end one is? Naw, I just want to ride.

But then, I'm just one of those snobby rigid single speeders on an expensive bike, not only that, I ride like a girl, so what do I know?

Rolling
    lol...I'm sooo envious. Obviously, some of you guys get upset when your ultra cool bikes don't impress everyone. I'm sorry, I will never question why people seem to spend money on bling instead of things worth while. I will just say "wow you are awesome because you bought then most expensive thing available!" Thank you for teaching me a lesson.

LOL...

No worries, laughing at your joke, not at you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    lol...I'm sooo envious. Obviously, some of you guys get upset when your ultra cool bikes don't impress everyone.

My bikes impress me. Every. Single. Time. I. Ride. Them.

When I no longer am impressed I sell them. Divided by the amount of times they've been ridden we're looking at maybe $5-10 per ride. That's almost as cheap as a gallon of gas. And much more enjoyable.

Now why would I care what a peasant thinks? You have cake don't you? Eat it and STFU!

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    i just get the recurrent question of "what the fawk is that?" because it's mostly black with no frame ID.

it's stealthy.

as far as anyone can tell at 10 yards it might be a spray painted wal-mart bike.

If it doesn't bother you, as you have so sarcastically stated then why have you gone through such time and effort to post this message?

Quote Originally Posted by cannesdo
    I see this phenomenon in my customers every year at this time. This is spring detox. As soon as it warms up, people start eating raw foods and exercising and don't realize that and the heat are stirring up toxins. All sorts of fun stuff bubbles up, and people get impatient, negative, irritable, resentful and just plain nasty. Every year at this time I spend about 3 weeks opening e-mails going "WTF?????" Everyone's stomping around looking for someone to punch.

I like the comparison of MTB'ing to steroids. Neurons that fire together wire together and I'm sure mtb'ing contributes to aggressive behaviors much the same way steroids do. I
    don't think it's the high-end bikes. I think it's the sport itself.
    Dead wrong.

IT'S PLAYOFF SEASON BABY!!!

mtbr member
    Why do you give a crap what other people do? Just worry about your own life and stop dealing with your insecurities by trying to down others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owler
    Do not dispute right of way with a tree.

mtbr member
    You know whats worse than a person who loves his high end bike?

Dreamers like you who whine on the internet about others' choices in bikes, when in reality you wish you could be riding an Intense or Knolly.

PS- Believe it or not, there are people out there that love riding so much that it makes sense to eat Ramen Noodles for a few months to pay for their dream bike. Maybe you're bitter that you don't have that passion? Not everyone who rides a $4k race frame with a $2k build is as affluent as you like to believe.
    Last edited by dowst; 06-04-2008 at 07:47 PM.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    You know whats worse than a person who loves his high end bike?

Dreamers like you who whine on the internet about others' choices in bikes, when in reality you wish you could be riding an Intense or Knolly.

PS- You're lame
    it's kind of like the dude who is mad because you're buying a bottle of johnnie walker black while he's drinking night train.

high end bikes are like fine whisky.

you're more pissed off when they break.

or something.

mmm...

whisky.

mtbr member
    Jeez guys, tone down on the roid rage... or get off your High Horses (high end bikes)....this was humorous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    PS- Believe it or not, there are people out there that love riding so much that it makes sense to eat Ramen Noodles for a few months to pay for their dream bike. Maybe you're bitter that you don't have that passion? Not everyone who rides a $4k race frame with a $2k build is as affluent as you like to believe.
    bingo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Anybody bother to check out the OP's profile?
    His tenure is impressive.

mtbr member
    of course, some people buy a high end bike to get a certain feature, or a certain combination of features to acheive xyz performance requirement, or to get a product where the company will stand behind it even beyond what most men of stable mental condition would use them for. like the Canfield One enduro bike. the frame costs 2100 or so with a Fox DHX 5.0 Air shock, and it weighs about 7 pounds with that shock. it has travel adjustable from 7" to 8", and it allegedly transmits power from the sole of your shoe to the rear tire's contact patch better than a VPP at the recomended sag, or a floating bottom bracket design. and Canfield will stand behind it unless you start hucking 15 footers every week. but if you only huck one or two 15 footers in as many months, they'll stand behind it. basically, it's a XC-AM-light FR-DH (if you ride real smooth) bike. a true jack of all trades, master of some, damn good apprentice at others bike. that justifies the $2K+ payout for the frame itself, at least in my mind.

top-shelf boutique bikes are kind of like designer items to me. if you don't use them you might have a hard time understanding what all the hype is about. if you do use them you likely won't want to go back. if you are outside of the industry looking in you'll think those who use them have gone completely mental
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by eat_dirt
    it's kind of like the dude who is mad because you're buying a bottle of johnnie walker black while he's drinking night train.

high end bikes are like fine whisky.

you're more pissed off when they break.

or something.

mmm...

whisky.
    johnny walker black???? blended garbage!

if this guy is truly not envious and just laughing at people's yearning for excess (not sure about the failed steroid analogy) i can see where he is coming from to some extent... no way to know, though. as is the interweb.

i have the same thoughts when i see people rolling around in blinged-out escalades and navigators which are 100% status symbols, imo.

i guess its just all about priorities.

wanna dance?
    Ok, here's a real answer to your post.

It's understandable to not know the difference a high-end bike makes. Everybody goes through that when new to the sport. No need to embarrass yourself by lashing out like in these recent threads though.

There are posers, no doubt.

However, on the other end of the spectrum, if you saw the bike I ride, you'd look down on it as being an old, outdated, heavy, 26" wheeled, thumbshiftered, rigid-ass bike, that looks at a quick glance just like every other tired old hunk of junk. The company that made its components hasn't even been in the mtb biz for a dozen years already. Pretty safe bet that most people in the sport today will have never even heard of the frames brand or the components. And what's it worth? As of a year ago on ebay, 6k. I sold my car and paid a just a little less than that for it a few years back. Why would I do such a thing? Because, it rides so unbelievably nice, and is made so unbelievably perfectly, and it's the real thing, made by the guys who made the first modern mountain bikes and nearly perfected them, and to date I've yet to find anyone who has done a better job of it. I take that sweet old machine out on the trail, and it absolutely sings. It fills my peripheral vision, and I realize what I'm riding, a fillet-brazed, handcrafted work of art, through a beautiful landscape which it will some day rejoin as a pile of rust flakes. Its existence is temporary and beautiful, and I'm lucky to be here now and be the one to enjoy it. Riding it is a full-sensory experience, much like driving a Ferrari. A Ferrari is not about the top-end number on a chart, just as riding this bike is about more than strapping yourself to an exercise device. Hell, 5k... I'd have gladly spent 10 on it. I've lost $50k easily on crappy cars over the years, and I hated them. Why wouldn't someone spend quality money on something that brings them this much joy?

That bike is my favorite, and one of my most expensive, but I guarantee, it impresses no one. As for the others in my stable, I can probably count on one hand how many people have had a chance to see or comment on them. Consider for a moment, that some of us don't give a rats ass about impressing you, we just like bikes and riding them.

The solution to all these threads is to quit standing around with your frickin bike judging and being judged, and ride the damn thing. It's not a fashion show, it's an adventure sport.

Hope this helps,
    hb

Just ride.
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    The solution to all these threads is to quit standing around with your frickin bike judging and being judged, and ride the damn thing. It's not a fashion show, it's an adventure sport.
    Agreed. You ride your bike, I'll ride mine, and Mr. Money Pants will ride his. Enjoy the sport for what it is.

I ride with people on $200 bikes, and people on $6k road bikes... both have an equal amount of fun and thoroughly enjoy the experience their bikes help them achieve.

I guess it is what it is, and as long as you're enjoying it.
    Yep.

mtbr member

Since I'd be going all out....My Range Rover would have spinners to up the cheese factor.

mtbr member

You still don't get it. The people you talk about don't care what you think, they
    are not trying to impress you.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think there is absolutely no comparison between people who ride high end or ultra high end bikes and those who use steroids.

I'd never touch the latter. I've got a "medium end" bike and wish I had a high end bike. There are 3 or 4 race bikes that cost in the $6,000 range that I would love to buy. I think I'm going to end up getting there by slowly upgrading. At some point I'll just swap out the frame for a new carbon one and that will be the end of the progression to top of the line stuff.

I don't begrudge the dude who shows up at the trails on some clunker, or a single speed, or a 29er, or a free ride bike, or whatever. We all are just a bunch of grown up kids out there having fun riding around on two wheeled, self-powered machines. (I guess some out there are still actually kids).

Biking is great. My life would be far less fulfilling without it

Five is right out
    Sep 2006

Any one got any more?
    Users of both incite envy and snide remarks from the insecure.

Really, who cares?

mtbr member
    Give the guy a break will you, seriously! If you had this (Bike Setup:El Cheapo Day job:Chincilla Rancher) in your profile you'd be pissed at the world and jealous of anyone who afforded something more than a Huffy.

As some have said what's high end to you is normal for someone else, don't hate them because they can afford to have it. What's high to you anyway, the price range you stated gives me a nicely built XT level bike with maybe a few "special" parts thrown on - XT ain't anything fancy, it's just plain old reliable.

Maybe it's something you don't understand because you don't ride hard or long enough to need higher than Deore level components. My high end bike isn't even a year old yet and has on over 4500 miles, what's your POS have on it miles wise and how old is it? That calculates out at less than $0.75 per mile.

Oh and FYI, I didn't just reach into my pocket and pull out loose change to buy said bike, just I prefer to be riding than walking because of crappy parts/bike.
    Last edited by LyNx; 06-05-2008 at 06:15 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hmmm, maybe the high end guys are like me, middle aged, good job plenty of money and rewarding them selves with a sweet ride? But that an't really me, except the money. I'd but your foreclosed house just to piss on the lawn!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Or maybe they have the well paying job now, and still stetched the old budget when they didn't cause they had get this... PASSION!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by winchboy
    Hmmm, maybe the high end guys are like me, middle aged, good job plenty of money and rewarding them selves with a sweet ride?
    Yep. And I worked my butt off so that I now consider biking to be a very, very inexpensive hobby.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme Moore
    Or maybe they have the well paying job now, and still stetched the old budget when they didn't cause they had get this... PASSION!
    And that good folks is it, riding with pure unrestrained PASSION. Regardless of skill, style, or bucks invested. I have as much enjoyment on my humble scratched K2 bargan roadie as I have on my hand built full squishy trail machine.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by winchboy
    And that good folks is it, riding with pure unrestrained PASSION. Regardless of skill, style, or bucks invested. I have as much enjoyment on my humble scratched K2 bargan roadie as I have on my hand built full squishy trail machine.
    i ride my women with passion, too.

i'd rather they be expensive.

wanna dance?
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    Yep. And I worked my butt off so that I now consider biking to be a very, very inexpensive hobby.
    I've seen you mention these two things before, and it always makes me want to say something. Since this thread is a bottomless pit of whocares anyway, I might as well say it here. A, you worked hard. B. you have make lot of money because of it. Not so much in this case, but usually, your A and B point to an implied C, that those who have less are lazy, stupid, or inferior in some way. You do realize that most people work their asses off their whole lives, harder than you and I put together, and are never compensated proportionately for their contributions to society, due to a nearly ininite number of reasons beyond their control. Those of us who worked hard and are reaping the benefits, living like kings (who haven't yet lost it all on attorneys) can claim A and B, but included C is that luck of the draw has been on our side as well, which makes being arrogant about it fairly ugly.

mtbr member
    Ummmm all of my bikes are in the $4-6 thousand mark. From my carbon road bike to my downhill bike. Yes, you do notice the difference in quality with the more money you spend. A full carbon road bike in the $2,000 range usually rides like a noodle... a dh bike in that price range will not only be extremely heavy but the suspension components will have a lack of adjustability.

I'm a young guy (25 here) who works hard and saves his hard earned cash for good equipment. I'm sorry that you squander all of your money on cheetos and beer. I don't have fancy clothes, drive a fancy car, or have nice stuff in my house... but then again I've got about $40-50 thousand in bikes at my house at this moment. Maybe you're more concerned with your appearance as a person off the bike than you are with being able to ride your dream bikes. Status is a b!tch sometimes.

The bike's don't make you a better rider, riding more does. if you have a nicer bike maybe you'll be inclined to ride more.

I don't wax or attempt to remove my body hair in any way except for shaving my balls every now and again or the once a year haircut. I don't have any "issues" that I'm compensating for, I personally don't care how much your setup costs as I wont look down on you because of how much money you spent. Matter of fact, if it weren't for all this weed I smoke, I'd be an alcoholic... but I'd be an alcoholic that rides 4-7 days a week and could probably make you wonder about your inadequecies as a man as I pass you on a climb, a descent, or a flat section of road or trail. So instead of being an alcoholic that does that... I'm a stoner that'll potentially put you to shame with not just better equipment... but by being a better rider as well.

It's not that all people that have expensive bikes are self-indulgent weiners who have no logical reason to be tooling around town on a $7,000 TT bike. Look at people who race. They could do it on a cheap bike, but at the sacrifice of having a frame that isn't stiff enough or designed properly, having components that are of cheaper quality and therefore have less than adequate performance.

I don't race, but I ride a lot and I expect a lot out of my equipment. I spend a lot of money to get exactly what I want (which usually involves a frame up build) so that I don't have to spend money down the road to upgrade the crappy components on a frame that has just as poor of quality. Is there anything wrong with that? or are you just jealous because you can't afford your own high end machinery?

And a $500 dollar bottle of champagne means two things... either to impress someone, or the person actually knows and appreciates a fine bottle of wine. Can you tell the difference between box wine and a $100 pinot noir? I think you can.

mtbr member
    I've seen you mention these two things before, and it always makes me want to say something. Since this thread is a bottomless pit of whocares anyway, I might as well say it here. A, you worked hard. B. you have make lot of money because of it. Not so much in this case, but usually, your A and B point to an implied C, that those who have less are lazy, stupid, or inferior in some way. You do realize that most people work their asses off their whole lives, harder than you and I put together, and are never compensated proportionately for their contributions to society, due to a nearly ininite number of reasons beyond their control. Those of us who worked hard and are reaping the benefits, living like kings (who haven't yet lost it all on attorneys) can claim A and B, but included C is that luck of the draw has been on our side as well, which makes being arrogant about it fairly ugly.

Dewd, you are so... so... what's the word? Oh yea, Passionate.

that or on 'roids

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Funny, you sure seem to know a great deal about these "super high end" luxury items you so proudly disdain. I don't race. I don't make a great of money. I own a five thousand dollar bike, because mountain biking is one of the great pleasures in my life, and a source and form of art, creativity, and joy for me. I feel very strongly that the difference in functionality between "high-end" equipment and lower-end stuff is much greater than 5%. Quite frankly, given that I spend a lot of time and effort riding, pushing myself, and working my ass off at becoming a more competent mountain biker, I am highly confident that I'd drop you on your favorite ride. Methinks that perhaps beer-fueled philosophising should remain at the bar.

jb

Too many Sedonuts...
    Well, you can stake that claim
    Good work is the key to good fortune
    Winners take that praise
    Losers seldom take that blame
    If they don't take that game
    And sometimes the winner takes nothing
    We draw our own designs
    But fortune has to make that frame...

-Neil Peart
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thats like taking your Ferrari to Wal-Mart to get the $99 special bike...

Praise Bob

Well Said

Hot Black:

I usually get a good kick out of your posts, and this one especially rings true. I come from a family that didnt have a whole lot, so I've worked hard my whole life. My parents are immigrants so we never had anyone go to college before. I was never prepared financially or otherwise to pursue the American dream via the "normal" go to college, get good job yadda yadda yadda.

Anyways (trying to get to point) it is only through sheer luck that I have worked my way into an IT field and then only after 15 years was able to start to accrue surplus income. In fact, I wasnt able to own a vehicle during a period in the 1990 so I was force to ride my bike everywhere. I got my first used car in 2000 and I "upgraded" my bike to a Trek 960 steel frame rigid so that I could bike for pleasure. Several promotions later (and 10,000 miles on the Trek), I was able to save and afford an Ellsworth Moment. I bought that bike as a testement to all the sh&t that I was lucky enough to overcome. It was a reward to myself, not a status symbol. I get hated on all the time for owning a boutique bike (especially the Ellsworth) and resent the OP's sentiment. I have friends that are smarter and work harder, but I was merely luckier.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    I get hated on all the time for owning a boutique bike (especially the Ellsworth) and resent the OP's sentiment. I have friends that are smarter and work harder, but I was merely luckier.
    I was actually thinking about this thread last night. My knee-jerk reaction was... well - it;s earlier in this thread. The thing that got me thinking about it was..

We were riding a trail that is one of the less-used ones in the area. Ripping through the deadfall from a fire a few years back. We came across some "Entering Private Property - stay on trail" signs. No biggie... then looping back to the beginning, we come out on a new dirt road with big NO TRESSPASSING signs on each side where the trail intersects it. It's a recent development. We, of course, ignore the signs and cross the road.

We come around a corner, and see the muti-million dollar mansion that the road has been created to access. My first thought was pretty much hating. Screw that SOB California transplant second mansion owning Mo Fo.

What I said out loud was "Well, I'm sure he worked really hard to buy that house."

I guess the envy lurks in all of us.

I think the reason this Lucky Bastard dude irritated me so much is that I own a nice bike. That's about all I own that is nice, but I do own a few semi-boutique rides with top of the line components.

But I own nice gear because that is what I care about. I don't care about owning a Lexus with custom rims, or a second mansion on the side of a hill...

I ride a lot, and I'm not going to ride Ibex.

mtbr member
    Just to play devil's advocate, I see two problems with this argument. First, unless you know the poster, how do you know how hard he does or does not work. Second, your implication that most people work their asses off and never get compensated proportionately is pure BS. There are many cases where that happens, sure. But there are a lot of poor folks who stay that way because they are lazy as ****. I am referring to people in the U.S., not third world countries. Face it, hard work and hustle pays off in this country and there are millions of success stories to prove it. But there are a lot of poor fat balding guys living on cheetos and milwaukees best screaming about how unfair life is as they look across their knee deep grass, junkmobile littered yard, looking for the tv remote the dog drug outside. Those folks are laaaaazzzzy. Fate definitely plays a role, and obviously kids in the ghetto are going to have an exponentially more difficult time busting out than white suburbia. You, however, equate poor people to all be working their asses off and not getting their fair due. Sounds like bleeding heart political slop to my ears.

Spartacus,
    15 years in the IT field sounds like hard work to me. So you DID work hard to get where you are even if fate played a role too.

wanna dance?
    [quote=BumpityBump] You, however, equate poor people to all be working their asses off and not getting their fair due. quote]

I didn't start talking about "all"'s, you did.

[quote=BumpityBump] Sounds like bleeding heart political slop to my ears. quote]

That's exactly what it was, I'm really trying to subversively convert Chas to a bleeding heart liberal, cause he's really on the fence, politically.

mtbr member
    True, you said "most".

That's exactly what it was, I'm really trying to subversively convert Chas to a bleeding heart liberal, cause he's really on the fence, politically.

Praise Bob

True true....

Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump
    Spartacus,
    15 years in the IT field sounds like hard work to me. So you DID work hard to get where you are even if fate played a role too.
    Yeah... no doubt I've worked really hard. Many 60 hour work weeks plus studying on my own to learn programming/networking. This doesnt even include the crappy non-tech jobs that had prior to this career path. That isnt what made me successful though (yes... it did contribute).

I just feel extremely lucky because my original employer at an engineering firm gave me a chance at a technical job despite not having a college degree. That one stroke of opportunity created a future for me. I later met my wife (also an engineer) who's salary allows us to have the suplus cash that I would have never dreamed of 10 years ago. We are by no means rich, but I still feel like I am the 1 in a million that made it out of the ghetto. I just have a lot of sympathy for how hard it is to make it from nothing. Not that it *cant* be done, but it is hella difficult. If it wasnt for the generosity and guidance of others I would be homeless or worse (no joke).

I know a lot of tradespeople that are really smart and work really really hard, and they can barely get by. New homes and new cars are not in their future.

Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I am a "bleeding heart liberal" or "communist", I want to point out that I am in fact fairly conservative. I just dont kid myself that success relies mostly on birth. It just is what it is.

mtbr member
    I just feel extremely lucky because my original employer at an engineering firm gave me a chance at a technical job despite not having a college degree. That one stroke of opportunity created a future for me.
    But I bet hard work had something to do with that, eh?

Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I am a "bleeding heart liberal" or "communist", I want to point out that I am in fact fairly conservative.
    Well, I sure wasn't implying that. Now HotBlack, that's another matter.....

Hey, I'm glad you made it out Spartacus. Enjoy that Ellsworth, you earned it.

mtbr member

How come you are not offended that the OP of this thread is implying that all
    that ride bikes over $500 are show offs?

Hey, I am not being ugly about it, I am sure there are some here that make
    way more than I and they worked less for to get it. So what I am not
    offended by that. Sure luck does play a part in it, so what.

And another thing, you don't get what you deserve in life. You point about being
    compensated proportionately for contributions to society is well, stupid.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=HotBlack][quote=BumpityBump] You, however, equate poor people to all be working their asses off and not getting their fair due. quote]

Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump
    Sounds like bleeding heart political slop to my ears. quote]

Dude, I am 110% liberal. Of course I am a classic liberal, not one of those
    modern day fake leftards.
    Nobody cares...........

wanna dance?
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    How come you are not offended that the OP of this thread is implying that all that ride bikes over $500 are show offs?

Hey, I am not being ugly about it, I am sure there are some here that make
    way more than I and they worked less for to get it. So what I am not
    offended by that. Sure luck does play a part in it, so what.

And another thing, you don't get what you deserve in life. You point about being
    compensated proportionately for contributions to society is well, stupid.
    1. Eh, I don't really get offended. But I already responded to that nonsense earlier on.

2. Ok.

3. Thank you. ...that was in anticipation of the typical underlying counter argument, a direction which Bumpity strated to head toward anyway. Life doesn't work like that, and assuming that if people aren't being compensated, it's because they're not contributing anything, is erroneous.

Yeah Bumpity, I'm a raging liberal on some things. ...a raging conservative on others, and a raging both on a few things. Both right and left call me their opponent. I, along with the majority of Americans, are the failing of the two-party system. ...if you must know.

mtbr member
    Soundin super bitter dude- Also, big difference between high end bikes and high end cars- I dont think I would (or will ever be able to for that matter) ever spend 125 grand on a car...I also wouldnt spend 50 grand on a car- My car cost about 4 grand and it gets me where I need to go so since it works for me it should work for everyone- SO, anyone who spends more than me on a car has small balls...I guess-

Lame-

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Politics and ideology aside........It all depends on what you/we want. I am used to think of mountain bikers as a community - friendly and supportive. I think, there are many others around, who like this sense of community - not just fitness and adrenaline that come with the sport. Read the "Beginners' corner" - ppl come there mostly to be greeted into community, not just to get some, in many cases very obvious, advice.
    So, in my opinion, any show off explodes the community from inside. Even if you show off well deserved results of your hard work for many years. Believe me, your contribution to society will be appreciated even without a piece of art that is 1/10 bike and 9/10 statement. Besides, to every argument there is a counterargument. Those who do low pay manual work - may show off my own results even easier - say, by wearing a sleeveless shirt.
    I mean, guys, instead of stressing what sets you apart(be it income, fitness and technical level, let alone political views) - why not look for what all bikers have in common, turning many Is into one big WE?

Drunk Poster
    You might want to thank the clown drinking $500 bottles of Champagne next time you see him. He just paid the wages for the staff for the night. Without that staff you have no club, and guess what sucker, you are stuck at home online trolling on internet forums...

You should also be thankful that I am willing to spend money on top end bike stuff. Because of the margins made on my top end stuff the companies develop even better stuff for me to buy, which means what used to be high end becomes second tier... next thing you know the low end stuff benefits too.

And yeah I am the guy who showed up at his first XC race in the beginner class on a bike that has as much carbon fiber as a Ferrari and a push'd shock and still finished last. You might think I went overboard, but for me it was an investment that involved sacrifice (yeah I did eat top ramen (and buy a jar of sauce get free pasta noodles) but my next race I finished a spot higher. It caused me to quit smoking and change my diet and other health related habits. My third race I finished in the middle of my group, and I puked my guts out at the end of the race. Hopefully next season I will be ready to race sport and do ok. Honestly I would probably do about the same with a lesser bike if I put in the same amount of effort, but knowing myself I wouldn't put forth the same amount of effort because I would blame my "inferior" equipment.

Also it has been my experience that people with really nice bikes tend to either just have lots of money in general, or/and are so dedicated to biking they don't have anything else that could be considered high end.
    =)

Members who have read this thread: 0