Hidden gems: Idaho.- Mtbr.com
    This place needs an enema

Hidden gems: Idaho.

I was in central Idaho last week, paddling a few rivers with good friends.

Late in the week, physically and mentally exhausted from the constant anxiety mandated by engaging whitewater, I grabbed my bike and went for a mellow spin.

I had no maps, no beta, nothing but a forest road passing by our campsite. Thus I had no expectations other than that I might get out and get a little exercise.

To my delight that forest road ended 1/4 mile later, and from road's end a narrow ribbon of singletrack continued. Much of this area is Wilderness, and I was surprised to not be able to find a 'keep that bike the eff out of here!" sign anywhere.

Second growth trees fought the understory to a draw, making for a diverse vegetative experience. Often the trail traversed steep hillsides: Less often there were glide cracks and slumps pulling the trail (indeed the whole hillside) down toward the creek.

The trail tread was narrow and often technical, littered with greased root and rock, blowdowns, pine cones, and hundreds of terrestrial mollusks.

Parts of the trail reminded me of the Dyke off Kebler Pass, Doctor Park near Almont, even Levis Mound in central 'sconsin. But mostly it was uniquely itself.

I'm a sucker for low-angle light and around 8:30 PM I was awash in it, bathed from above and below and feeling it infuse my very being with energy. I hadn't felt this good in days.

Lacking lights, a jacket, or even water I reluctantly flipped it at sunset and enjoyed the rowdy descent back to camp. The route had largely followed the creek we planned to paddle in the morning, giving me reason to stop and look things over every few minutes.

Had someone prepped me for how uniquely enjoyable this trail was going to be I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much. For that very reason I'll only share that it was somewhere within the Clearwater drainage. Happy hunting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

I had no maps, no beta, nothing but a forest road passing by our campsite. Thus I had no expectations other than that I might get out and get a little exercise.
    This is becoming increasingly important for me. With the ever increasingly detailed map beta from the likes of mtbproject and Trailforks, some of the novelty of riding new areas is diminished. Granted, they are awesome tools for planning rides, especially when I need to gauge length, difficulty and elevation profiles to evaluate rides with my 9 year old...BUT...its also important to go on rides with him and my wife where I deliberately know nothing about the trail other than where the trailhead is. There's no questions on whether its a green/blue/black, steep, technical, flowy, whatever kind of trail. Its just a good old fashioned, "lets see where this goes...it might suck, but it might be awesome" kind of ride. These tend to be some of the best rides, all because there are no expectations.

Good post, as usual.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    These tend to be some of the best rides, all because there are no expectations.

Zackly. I hadn't had one of these in awhile and had forgotten how important they are to me.

mtbr member
    Aloha. Awesome Passion post. I have ridden in a few places in ID. Some good hidden gems there. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    So are we to assume you took this ride at a snail pace?

Hidden gems: Idaho.-img_0195.jpg

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

I had no maps, no beta, nothing but a forest road passing by our campsite. Thus I had no expectations other than that I might get out and get a little exercise...
    The best kind of ride. I often flip a coin at junctions to decide which way to go.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    What rivers did you boat?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Welp, no longer hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    What rivers did you boat?

Marsh/Middle/Main, SF Clearwater, and Lochsa.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    nice set of central idaho rivers, the salmon is an awesome expierence. i have a hells canyon permit for august. and getting on the main in september.

is that trail out of wilderness gateway?
    Last edited by tim208; 06-15-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skiermike View Post
    Welp, no longer hidden.

Err, right. Because offering a hint that is hundreds of miles long, a dozen miles wide, and hours from any population center of note just gives it away...