mtbr member

Good job! ...and he's off! (fatherhood passion, redux)

i saw a photo here a while back w/ a little 4yo guy rippin' up the trail, so i figured i'd better get my act together!

backstory: my daughter didn't learn to ride until she was 6, as she didn't seem that interested until then. after looking around a bit online, i found a guy who developed a "method" (which i won't disclose, only because the guy charges $20 (if memory serves) for his video, and—despite not being rocket-science—i was glad to pay it and reward him for his common sense efforts).

anyway, the idea is that training wheels teach bad habits. unfortunately for us, we already had her on training wheels in the beginning; indeed, it took quite a while for my daughter to learn, despite having excellent proprioception. (now 7, she can rip up the trails).

so this time around there were no training wheels involved. a week or so ago we went out for our first "lesson" (4 years old). he had a bit more trepidation than my daughter, and not nearly the attention span, so we cut it short and went to the playground. well, all this week i noticed he would get on the bike, which he can just straddle, and "walk" around the neighborhood, periodically picking up his feet as the bike rolled. after watching him do this, it was obvious to me that he had the "feel" for the balance of the bike, even though he'd never attempted to pedal yet. so after the rain/lightning subsided tonight, we went out...

i kid you not, 2 minutes later he was pedaling around w/ the biggest smile on his face, that only a parent can really appreciate!

happy happy joy joy.

anyway, this isn't meant to be a plug for any system, but the dramatic difference in the time it took him to learn vs. my daughter—despite her having 2 years on him—makes me a believer that training wheels do more harm than good. YMMV.

so before bed tonight he informed my wife & i that we should sell the bike trailer, because now he can ride a bike.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
    What a moment. Great story, great picture. There's no stoppin' him now. Must just fill you *up* watching those little feet spinning down the street.

May we all greet everything in life like that.
    Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus."

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    awesome story!

"oush bikes" rock for developing balance

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Very Cool !

there is absolutely no better feeling in the world than riding with you kid! cheers

As much as i miss having my son behind me on the trailer-bike - it is an awesome feeling to watch them in front of you picking lines and negotiating the hazards of a trail and cleanin' it.

FD-Dup-06-07 166

DSC_0155

great fun

oh Lucky me
    awesome story!!! training wheels arent going on my daughters bike (when shes ready for that) ...i was trying to teach my sister-n-law (age 6) how to ride w/ out them and she just didnt want anything to do with it!
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Capable Newbie
    Jun 2008
    I'm glad I read that, My daughters are (2 years 5months) and (5 months) so were still mastering tricycle and big wheels reverse techniques. We mastered mash down the gas pedal and go forward. I wonder if it would be possible to have her riding a little bike at 3 1/2 or so..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jjrowley
    I'm glad I read that, My daughters are (2 years 5months) and (5 months) so were still mastering tricycle and big wheels reverse techniques. We mastered mash down the gas pedal and go forward. I wonder if it would be possible to have her riding a little bike at 3 1/2 or so..
    sure is. i've seen them that young. my son will be 2 in july, hope to have him riding next summer.

mtbr member

MOAB 2014, here we come.

as all the parents out there can relate, first thing this morning i awaken to a little munchkin standing over me at the side of my bed... "daddy, i'm ready to go ride my bike again".

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    first thing I hear when I get home from the 4 yr old: "Daddy, can we ride our bikes..."

It's awesome

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    careful you will have two of these on your hands, craving the latest from Scott (the best kids XC bike ever at 17 LBS) and begging to go to races near and far. We started with a "scoot" and it has been a blast ever since. Pics from Chile Challenge two weeks ago, Haley first in 14 and under gals and Forest just happy to get around the course.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Professional Amateur
    Awesome!

I can't wait until my kid is old enough to think about riding a bike (I'm sure it will be here before I know it, no hurry).

Members who have read this thread: 0