Praise Bob

Help choosing shuttle for Porcupine Rim

I will be in Moab in 1 week and need advice with choosing/sheduling a shuttle for Porcupine Rim. Does anyone have a particular company that they really liked? Do you recommend reservations way in advance or is this something that any of the bike shops can handle 24 hours in advance?

thx

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    I will be in Moab in 1 week and need advice with choosing/sheduling a shuttle for Porcupine Rim. Does anyone have a particular company that they really liked? Do you recommend reservations way in advance or is this something that any of the bike shops can handle 24 hours in advance?

thx
    I really like Kyle at Acme Shuttles. Laid back guy, good comfortable van.

Generally you can get shuttles the morning off pretty easily and definitely by wandering into any of the shops they all have relationships with different shuttle operators.

Gravity Tester
    Poison Spider runs one several times each morning. $15.00 one way. P-rim or LPS, your choice. No reservations, first-come, first served.

aka baycat
    Cannot go wrong with any.

http://www.coyoteshuttle.com/

We used Coyote Shuttles. Krisit picked us up in a rocking stretch bright yellow Westie. We piled in. Got all the good information and had fun from LPS drop off.

The shuttle is nothing like the others we saw, nice fast Ford vans with A/C and stuff. This one had character. And they can pick you up at any of the bike shops in town

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Coyote Shuttles

I have also used Coyote Shuttles, they were great. The stretched bright yellow bus is a must do. They were very friendly and fairly cheap. The ride from the shuttle drop is unbelievable awesome!! You are going to love it. Stay off the brakes and have fun!

mtbr member
    Throw a dart.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Cannot go wrong with any.

http://www.coyoteshuttle.com/

We used Coyote Shuttles. Krisit picked us up in a rocking stretch bright yellow Westie. We piled in. Got all the good information and had fun from LPS drop off.

The shuttle is nothing like the others we saw, nice fast Ford vans with A/C and stuff. This one had character. And they can pick you up at any of the bike shops in town

Coyote is the best. Cool drivers with good info about trails, and local insight. The owner is quite a character! One of their shuttle rigs is made of 2 VW buses welded together into a stretch VW.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

aka baycat
    **** yeah!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    My vote goes to Brian at Porcupine Shuttle if you want to get to the top of the mountain without having to get out and push. New 15 passenger vans with big V10 engines and air conditioning. Very cool guy too. I think it's $15.

1-435-260-0896 or you can book him at Poison Spider Cycles.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-06-2008 at 03:59 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Sir Hurt Locker
    I just got back from Moab a few days ago. When riding the Porcupine Rim trail I got a shuttle from Poison Spider Bicycles. The shuttle leaves at 8:30am 10:00am and 11:30am daily and we paid $15 and got dropped off at LPS. The driver was very friendly and fun to talk to. They were running up to Kokopelli when we left so I assume that they still are.
    Cheers,

Seb

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Ride from town.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Ride from town.
    What a concept. They make you ride a lot of pavement back to town anyway so one might consider riding from town.

Shuttles do save you from the dust of riding Sand flats road as all the other peeps blow by you.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    My vote goes to Brian at Porcupine Shuttle if you want to get to the top of the mountain without having to get out and push. New 15 passenger vans with big V10 engines and air conditioning. Very cool guy too. I think it's $15.

1-435-260-0896 or you can book him at Poison Spider Cycles.
    Another vote for Bryan... we called him and he did a special shuttle for a group of 6 at the time of our choosing. Super nice guy. $15 to the top of LPS... you should definitely add this section of single track to your Porc day!

Ride from town.

Didn't you NOT do that last month, despite Scott's urgings?

slow
    Ride from town.

Wasn't that bad Saturday:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Shuttle???

Shuttle?! PPfffffft!

It's been a few years, but I always enjoyed pedaling up from the bottom. Except for a couple of step-ups it's completely ridable and is a real skill challenge.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Didn't you NOT do that last month, despite Scott's urgings?
    Admittedly I did shuttle that day as it was easier logistically. Each time since (2) I've solo looped PR; I prefer climbing to shuttling.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the ride up isn't that bad and it's a nice warm up. Although it's a good 2-3 miles more up Sand Flats road to the LPS start at the cattle guard.

The main reason I like shuttling it most of the time is so that I still have enough time and energy to squeeze in another ride on the same day. Slickrock or Amasa or Sorvereign for instance in the afternoon make a nice compliment to a morning Porc run.

When I'm there my time is limited so I like to cram as many different rides in as possible each day..... not waste time spinning up a 30 foot wide gravel road. I can do that at home.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Praise Bob

Thank you all very much...

...for all the awesome info, I really appreciate it. I figured I would get flamed for asking about a shuttle. Suprisingly I got very little of that.

Since it is my first trip to Moab and I have limited time there (and I am from Florida) the shuttle will be the best way to enjoy Porc and still have enough in me to ride slickrock that day. I will be doing soveriegn and amasa the two following days so I need to reserve whatever energy I can. Not having been there I have no idea what to expect as far as the climb in goes, so I thought the shuttle would be a safe bet. I used shuttles in Downieville and was truely grateful that I did.

thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0