Hardwood Hills today [o]- Mtbr.com
    Muskoka

Hardwood Hills today [o]

What... you expected biking? (-; I'm sure some of you will enjoy pics of Hardwood Hills in winter trim. Two weeks to the day after my last trail ride and we are on
    the skinny skis (-8. Would have been even sooner, but something called work got in the way. I grabbed the P&S camera, and of course later wished I had taken the DSLR.
    Maybe I don't get out enough but I could not help notice the many fit young females in ski tights on the trails today, often in groups (sorry-no pics of that).
    Take up xc-skiing you guys!! I understand now why it's called Hardwood Hills!! But I digress....

Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 11-22-2008 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice pics, I too like XC skiing. We take it a bit further with metal edges, light tele boots and skins. My friends and I are old school and use grip wax and diagonal stride for the tracks. I live in Seattle and I've done some cool off trail tours.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt
    Nice pics, I too like XC skiing. We take it a bit further with metal edges, light tele boots and skins. My friends and I are old school and use grip wax and diagonal stride for the tracks. I live in Seattle and I've done some cool off trail tours.
    Although I enjoy skate technique and classic both, if I could choose only one I would definitely go 'old school" classic. And there is nothing old school about today's equipment!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

XC ski trails

Nice hard packed trails. well groomed too. We still don't have that much snow here. Lucky me that I live less than 10 min from the XC ski trails. I am learning how to skate ski and I am at the stage (like every one would tell me) where I do a lot of effort and not a lot of distance covered. They tell me that it will take a year or 2 of practice. Hopefully will have enough snow this season.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My skis are like 30 years old with 3 pin bindings. Don't you just love the crazy outfits that the skaters wear? Skating is fun but around here there's not many places to go unless you want to drive for 6 hours.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoy_d
    Nice hard packed trails. well groomed too. We still don't have that much snow here. Lucky me that I live less than 10 min from the XC ski trails. I am learning how to skate ski and I am at the stage (like every one would tell me) where I do a lot of effort and not a lot of distance covered. They tell me that it will take a year or 2 of practice. Hopefully will have enough snow this season.
    I think the biggest hurdle for beginners is commited weight transfer from ski to ski. That's what gives the great glide. Beginners tend to keep their weight in the middle and partially shift weight between skis. So practise balancing on one ski while gliding. Unlike the bike there are no gears to give you a mechanical advantage on the uphills. All you have is higher tempo,shorter glides. Its great once you get onto it. A few lessons from an expert is money well spent imo.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Good to see.

One of my house mates instructed at Hardwood last year.

I have heard rumours that the season passes there are crazy expensive. Any truth to that?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    Good to see.

One of my house mates instructed at Hardwood last year.

I have heard rumours that the season passes there are crazy expensive. Any truth to that?
    They have a host of membership options, one of which is a 10 yr lease option which is spendy and probably the one that started the rumours....
    http://www.hardwoodhills.ca/index.ph...d=59&Itemid=86
    Day use rates are here...
    http://www.hardwoodhills.ca/index.ph...d=76&Itemid=61

Members who have read this thread: 0