Gut check: Yeti Sb5 vs Tallboy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Gut check: Yeti Sb5 vs Tallboy

About to pull the trigger and figured I would throw it out to there to those who were willing to weigh in. For riding in New England between Boston and Vermont, I'm between the Yeti sb5 (turq X01 Eagle build) and Santa Cruz Tallboy 29 (CC X01 Eagle build). They're different bikes but having ridden a bunch, these are the two I've liked the best. Plan to ride around Boston (Fells etc.) and Vermont trails every weekend (Mad River Valley, Sugarbush, Burke) and occasionally take it on the lift but ride mellow DH (rent a DH bike to go fast). I want to get the right bike for what I will do most of the time: flow trails and moderately techie stuff. I love climbing as much as going down. Any thoughts? And many thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by elbishop View Post
    About to pull the trigger and figured I would throw it out to there to those who were willing to weigh in. For riding in New England between Boston and Vermont, I'm between the Yeti sb5 (turq X01 Eagle build) and Santa Cruz Tallboy 29 (CC X01 Eagle build). They're different bikes but having ridden a bunch, these are the two I've liked the best. Plan to ride around Boston (Fells etc.) and Vermont trails every weekend (Mad River Valley, Sugarbush, Burke) and occasionally take it on the lift but ride mellow DH (rent a DH bike to go fast). I want to get the right bike for what I will do most of the time: flow trails and moderately techie stuff. I love climbing as much as going down. Any thoughts? And many thanks
    Have you demoed both bikes? That is THE most important factor in making a decision. I have ridden several Yeti bikes (most recently the SB 5.5) and several SC bikes (most recently the Hightower LT) over the years. While I do like the Santa Cruz platform, I am not in love with their rear suspension design (especially while climbing). I adore the Switch Infinity design (especially while climbing). I don't know what owning Yeti's proprietary, special componentry would be like in real life. The Santa Cruz is a more mainstream design, so that might matter. But they are different bikes beyond this; one is a 27.5 and the other a 29er-albeit convertible to 27.5+, and both have different geo, so they will behave differently from each other. If you can, ride them both, back to back in the same place and see what you think.

mtbr member
    WHy not cmpare the SB4.5 and tallboy? Or SB5/SC 5010? or is it more a question of whether you want shorter travel more XC-ish 29er or playful mini-enduro BMX smalelr wheels kinda thing?