mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Greek (crete?) passion?

So i'm currently afloat in the mediterranean sea... I get to go to port here in a few days in souda bay. the one thing i would REALLY love to do is go mountain biking... so.... anyone know if there is a scene? a place to rent a decent bike? I know it is a long shot!

(i think this might fit in here because it fits into my passion? eh, move it if it doesn't belong)

bringer of doom
    There are some singletracky bits on Crete & around Greece. If the search function worked worth a damn I'd post the links to some previous passion threads for ya, complete with requisite jealousy-provoking pics.
    Ride on, Anthony.

mtbr member
    You must be in the Navy if you are in Souda Bay? I spent a few days there in '95 while I was in. There used to be this cool bar called the Blue Note along the strip. I never thought of biking through all my travels throughout Europe. I was too busy supporting the philosphy of "Stewed, Screwed, and Tattooed".

Post up some photos to what you find.

mtbr member
    Use google advanced search to search the forum section of this site.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm actually a Marine, out with a MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit) heading out to Pakistan/Afghanistan. thanks for the suggestions, i'll make sure to take some pictures of the place and post up what i find for biking.

I guess i'm a little more settled down now that i'm married, of course now I manage a number of Marines that I hope to get me into too much trouble when we get to port so that could have something to do with it now too....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Haven't rented in Crete, but generally most major ports have many bike rental stores.

Also generally tons of riding oppourtunities.

I just googled Souda bay bike lots of rentals.

mtbr member
    Crete has a few trails, but from what they didnt provide any technical challenge. The rental bikes where crap btw. I was near Chania.

mtbr member
    Ask these guys, a very friendly bunch. Some of them should be able to provide info on Crete.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

cycling in crete

In crete mountain biking is not avery famous sport so you will not find a lot of mountain bike specific singletrails or paths but the island is very mountainous and the mountain bikers really love it.
    At cyclingcreta bike center at Chersonissos you can find quality bikes to rent. Fix your bike on the professional equiped workshop. Also mountain bike tours are provided at remote areas of Crete.

On this site you can find some very interesting tours in Crete tested from locals tips and advices.
    Cycling Creta - Guided mountain bike tours, explore real crete, Hersonissos - All the cycling routes of the Crete Island

photos
    https://www.facebook.com/CyclingCreta.gr

videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cyclingcreta

Members who have read this thread: 0