mtbr member
    Jan 2010

A great weekend - 8 hour endurance race

After getting back on my bike late last year after a few years off doing other things, with renewed enthusiaism for all things MTB, I persuaded two friends and my 11 year old son to enter the Herberton 8 hour endurance race held yesterday as a four man [or 3 men and one boy] team.
    FYI Herberton is a tiny mining town 120km inland from Cairns in the far north of Queensland, Australia.
    This year was the 6th running of the event that attracts 250 riders of all levels from around the state of Queenland; a lap is 14km [9 miles] through rolling, sometimes steep, dry savannah country starting at an elevation of 860 meters [2800ft]
    We entered the senior mens team class and came 16th out of 21 teams - not a bad effort considering senior mens captures all mens teams over 17 years of age and our team members ages were 11 [yes 11] 46, 53 and 57.
    Techically my son at 11 could not even race as the youngest was supposed to be 12, but ask no questions and I will tell them no lies , besides he raced BMX for 2 1/2 years and can aready clear 3 meter gap jumps on his Iron Horse, he would have been gutted not to be allowed to race, even if it was with his Dad and his old mates
    Our best lap was 53 minutes [fastest on the day was 40 minutes], my 11 year old son managed 1hr 50 seconds - only 8 minutes behind our best lap! and on that lap he had stopped to help a crashed rider
    I am damn proud of that - there were many many laps a lot slower than one minute by riders twice his age, I will certainly have to watch my back in the coming years as he is already breathing down my neck.
    This is me about to be tagged for my second lap
    Tagged
    Course profile
    Course profile

Having said all that, I think the boys we were over shadowed by our girls team the "Fungals"
    Peter [57] talked his wife, Trixie [55] in to forming a team with three friends, all in there 50's.
    The girls were on bikes that could barely be described as mountain bikes, all were in excess of 20 years old, one was rigid and the 3 bikes that did have front suspension were totally trashed, the bushes and elastomers had long since departed this world - no maintenance for 10 years and poor quality in the first place meant that I was dubious as to whether they would even make it around.
    Disc brakes - Ha you must be joking
    As it was they all finished and got second in the class! [out of two teams, but hey they did it!] with a best lap of 1hr 14 minutes
    The sense of satisfaction they had on completion was a joy to behold and when they were called up to accept their second place certificates they could hardly contain themselves.
    Awesome.
    This is Lucy finishing her last lap
    Photobucket
    A great day
    Next stop will be the RRR [Rural, Rainforest and reef] 42km point to point race in October
    Bring it on!
    https://www.cairnsmtb.com/rrr/

mtbr member
    That's a nice story. It's always good to hear about families and friends riding together.

Tim

Members who have read this thread: 0