The White Jeff W

Good to be back in the saddle

Missed a couple weeks after a crash Memorial Day weekend. Rode Greenbrier State Park in MD this morning and aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.........My cardio is shot but it felt good to be out again. 90 sumthin degrees today so I jumped in the lake to cool off. Again, aaaaahhhhhhhh........

mtbr member
    I broke my collar bone a couple of years ago and missed a couple of months. The funny thing is though, your body remembers. If you've been fit before, it will take you half the time to get back to that condition, maybe even less. I had been really overweight and had worked for months to gain a decent level of fitness and lose some kilos. I gained many of them back through apathy mainly, that and a bad diet. Still, when I started really riding again the weight melted away and the fitness came back much quicker than when I had done it in the first place.

Another really bizarre thing I have noticed is that if you're really in top form and you have a week or so off all training, you seem to come back stronger than you were before. The effect only seems to last a couple of days though, so you may as well have just kept training at the same level, because that's where you're going back to.

That first ride back is sweet though, cardio be damned. I used to ride along the concreted bank of a river and all I ever dreamed of in summer was just twisting the handle bars and having a nice cool dip.

The White Jeff W
    Today I'm sitting on a log on the side of the trail just catching my breath & at least a dozen riders asked me if I was OK, lol. 'Yup, just taking a break'. Gotta love the MTBR community. Four were part of the Gary Fisher race team. Their Subaru was in the parking lot when I got back all decked out in Gary Fisher & RockShox decals. Colorado tags in Frederick MD. Neato.

Members who have read this thread: 0