Gallatin Crest - Advocacy ride (with pics)- Mtbr.com
    Salad Days

Gallatin Crest - Advocacy ride (with pics)

This ride is potentially going to be closed to bikes soon, along with many other current and future "Wilderness Study" areas in Montana.

From IMBA website:
    More than 700 miles of Montana singletrack could be closed by early 2007. A proposed Forest Service policy will ban bikes from "Recommended Wilderness," and areas we've ridden for more than 20 years will become off-limits. We want to see the land permanently protected, but in a way that accepts bicycles. . .
    . . .Mountain bikers have been on the receiving end of a strong push to eliminate bicycle access. Most recently, a lawsuit by the Montana Wilderness Association and Greater Yellowstone Coalition has targeted bicycles and motorized vehicles, asking that they be removed from the popular Hyalite Porcupine Buffalo Horn Wilderness Study Area near Bozeman.
    This spectacular trail is in the Hyalite Porc. BHWSA, and it would be a shame to lose it. .

Help us out: Send a comment about the Gallatin Crest trail and the Hyalite Porcupine Buffalo Horn Wilderness study area here:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    great looking ride John.... thanks for the photo log and IMBA link.

we're possibly going to be doing the blue joint loop in conjunction as an IMBA advocacy ride sometime later this month. I'll keep ya posted so you and marshall can come on over, if possible bring that stray dog by the name of Aaron too ; )

mtbr member

Letters sent.

Beautiful stuff. It would be a shame to lose it. I just don't get the wilderness group's obsession with tying up all this pristine high country. Yes, preserve it from strip mining and logging etc... but free the trails.

We just lost half a million acres in my county alone with the recently passed White Pine County Lands Bill. And it's all the good alpine stuff as you might expect.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-10-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Currently in Exile
    Hey, thanks for the heads up on that! My letter is sent. That's some beautiful stuff there and would be a shame to lose. I may have to try to get out there to ride before the end of the summer. It's not that far away (only 12 hrs) from where I live in ND.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

MTT
    mtbr member
    HOLYSH*T!!!!!!!!! Lots of climbing, you are in dam good shape!

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT
    HOLYSH*T!!!!!!!!! Lots of climbing, you are in dam good shape!

Ahh, it wasn't so bad. A downhill shuttle really.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker164
    ... A downhill shuttle really.
    Ha, that's the first thing I thought when I saw the profile.

I'm not so thrilled at the message I got when I tried to send a comment, though:
    We're sorry, but based on your address, you are not eligible to take this alert. This may be because the alert is restricted to particular states or to constituents of particular representatives. It may be because the address that you entered does not match a ZIP code that we can properly map to your representative. It may also be because your representative does not have an email address or webform we can use to contact.
    I don't get it. I just sent one on the Continental Divide Trail issue and had no trouble.

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    Ha, that's the first thing I thought when I saw the profile.

I'm not so thrilled at the message I got when I tried to send a comment, though:

I don't get it. I just sent one on the Continental Divide Trail issue and had no trouble.
    Apparently you need to have a zipcode of 59715, or 59802, or 59833 or something.

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker164
    Apparently you need to have a zipcode of 59715, or 59802, or 59833 or something.
    Mine is 58704 (Minot, ND) and I had no problems.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    what is the present status of the Gallatin Crest trail and the Hyalite Porcupine Buffalo Horn Wilderness study area trails? Are they open? Is there anything that can be done politically to try and keep these trails open?

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieShultz
    what is the present status of the Gallatin Crest trail and the Hyalite Porcupine Buffalo Horn Wilderness study area trails? Are they open? Is there anything that can be done politically to try and keep these trails open?
    It's still open as far as I know. It'll probably be covered ins snow till mid July this year though.. Here is a link to a discussion of what you can do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

ressurection

This thread is about the same topic as the Gallatin WSA closure. Thought I would ressurect it because I like John's pictures.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Fricking A I can't believe we may never get to ride these.
    Feel free to check out my personal website, Greg Heil.com

Members who have read this thread: 0