Frozen Lake Ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Frozen Lake Ride

Lake Ice riding?

My wife and I are going on a 10 day vacation in January to the Upper Peninsula *marquette MI* I'm thinking it would be sweet to throw some studded tires on my bike and ride some frozen lake ice... anybody done this?

-ER

is buachail foighneach me
    not in michigan, but i love riding frozen lakes. you don't necessarilly need studded tires, unless it's really slick ice. in fact, i've ridden frozen lakes quite a bit every winter but three for the past 10+ years and only done so on studded tires once. falling helps maintain your bone mass. if your bones don't need to be impact resistant(roadie-serious here), your body won't make them so. contact, like crashing, tumbling, bumping into things, promotes healthy bones. as long as you don't do it hard enough to break them or damage soft tissue.

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    [QUOTE= falling helps maintain your bone mass. [/QUOTE]

Great sig line there!
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

GCM
    mtbr member

Studded

Quote Originally Posted by EclipseRoadie
    Lake Ice riding?

My wife and I are going on a 10 day vacation in January to the Upper Peninsula *marquette MI* I'm thinking it would be sweet to throw some studded tires on my bike and ride some frozen lake ice... anybody done this?

-ER
    Yup....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    88 Keys and only 10 fingers....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GCM
    Yup....
    Holy cow......big studs!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm thinkin that I can just take my GPS and set a waypoint for navigation on the lake, anything special I need to do besides this in your opinions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Ice and snow

I'm a northern Minnesotan, but we're in the same general ecosystem. It's been cold up here, so the lakes (except Superior) are generally frozen already. That means the snow will pile up on the ice. Unless someone plows you a trail, you're going nowhere on a bike - expecially in da UP. They get lots of lake-effect snow there. And don't count on Lake Superior being frozen. It happens only once in six years now on average (global warming and all). Besides, the big lake needs to be taken seriously. It kills people on a regular basis. We just had about a foot of snow here, and the UP probably has had more. If the lakes were frozen before the snow hit, riding will be tough, I think. My 2 cents ...

local trails rider
    Riding on lake ice can be cool, but...
    - The ice could be smooth and slippery, covered with a rough grippy layer, or covered with thick snow... or all three. You never know.
    - You need to know if there are places where the ice is always weak (places where the water flows for any reason).
    - You need to watch out for cracks.
    - You need to be prepared to get out of the water and back to safety after the ice breaks under you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Try Bayfield Area

You may drive farther all the way to Bayfield area. Once the Gitchie Gumie (spelling?) freezes to at least 8 inches thick, commuters can cross all the way to Madeline Island on marked spots.
    Yes studded tires is a must, but that is if you do not have the thick snow cover. As 3pinfinn said we had more than a foot of snow here and more coming, the UP and the rest of the south shore area had more. It may be difficult to ride the bike unless the trails and/or the ice is packed.
    Check out blog about winter riding by me. I rode the frozen lake superior last february, it was cold and no snow that year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    awesome, thanks 4 da info.

ER

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've gone ice biking a few times with home made spiked tires (search this site for 'how to' info). It's can be fun. Incredible traction on bare ice (and no hills!).

Be careful, though. Last year, I asked some ice fishermen (out on the ice) about conditions. They said it was 10-12" of ice (we had many days in a row of 10F weather). People were out with ATVs on the ice.

I went riding with a friend that night and I fell through the ice (bike completely submerged, I managed to stay dry above my chest). I guess I hit a narrow spot with running water underneath, because my friend was only about 10 feet to my left and he didn't fall through. I laughed and thought it was funny (especially when I saw my friend's reaction) until I got home and seriously considered how lucky I was. It could have been a really bad situation.

The next day, a neighbor told me someone else had fallen through the ice on the same pond (it was on the evening news). I'm not sure if they survived.

I'm not sure if I'll go again this year.

local trails rider
    Here's a very low tech children's animation on the subject (it takes a while before it gets to the point):
    http://www.yle.fi/player/player.jsp?id=59767&locale=

Loser

Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by john trials
    I went riding with a friend that night and I fell through the ice (bike completely submerged, I managed to stay dry above my chest). I guess I hit a narrow spot with running water underneath, because my friend was only about 10 feet to my left and he didn't fall through. I laughed and thought it was funny (especially when I saw my friend's reaction) until I got home and seriously considered how lucky I was. It could have been a really bad situation.
    As I was reading this story, I was thinking, man that sounds just like what happened to me and a friend last year. Then I looked at the screen name - yep, that's exactly what happened last year, 'cause that's him!

I scoped out the ice during the day and it looked thick, talked to a few ice fisherman who confirmed it. After John Trials went through I was completely freaked out. We were riding pretty much side by side when he just disappeared. I'm not sure I took a full breath until the next day. I will probably ride ice this year sometime, but not at night. In the dark still water looks an awful lot like ice.

Be safe out there.
    John

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    holy crap, that's scary stuff. I definetly won't be night riding after hearing that story..... at least not alone.
    ER

Members who have read this thread: 0