Friday: my intro to extreme biking!- Mtbr.com
    Yummy

Friday: my intro to extreme biking!

Tomorrow I'm doing it ... I'm trying some extreme biking, cause I haven't done anything extreme enough in my life yet. Everybody I know that's tried this says it's an incredible rush, so of course I've gotta go!

Oval track, 43-degree banks in the turns. All the excitement of NASCAR, without the roll cages.

Kn.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Yummy
    I'm just hoping that I don't wind up like this ...

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

paintbucket
    Could be worse....

When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Your Customer Sales Rep

I couldn't handle that ...

especially the step requiring hair removal from my legs. D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.

No. Just No.

The way K'Endo's year is going...

I'm quite sure that WILL be very representative of his intro to track riding.

See you there on Friday after work. Just a quick note - I've been advised that with the high cadence on the track it doesn't work very well for beginners to try to stop by applying force backwards to the pedals unless you want to launch yourself over the bars. I guess we'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Could be worse....

Yummy
    You should try in D ... you could just work in a couple of laps each day on your ride home from work!

Kn.

No. Just No.

It's not like you have to shave or anything

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan!
    especially the step requiring hair removal from my legs. D.
    The track surface is supposed to take care of the hair removal for you.

There's no app for this.

does Brodie make a

velo bike you can bust? I dunno about this venture, Ken. Dibs on your Vtach if you remove your scalp. Jim

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    Tomorrow I'm doing it ... I'm trying some extreme biking, cause I haven't done anything extreme enough in my life yet. Everybody I know that's tried this says it's an incredible rush, so of course I've gotta go!

Oval track, 43-degree banks in the turns. All the excitement of NASCAR, without the roll cages.

Kn.
    can't wait to hear the report!

and see evidence of smooth wood leg hair removal.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Dec 2003
    where is that classic pic (from the '84 olympics?) of that guy running over the other guy's stomach?

No. Just No.

If you give me $20 Jim I can probably arrange that

[QUOTE=JimC.]Ken. Dibs on your Vtach if you remove your scalp. Jim
    QUOTE]

The $20 will be a bargain compared to your price on the Vtach, and then I'll have money for dinner afterwards. Everybody wins (except Ken's barber who will lose a client).

beer thief
    .....Oval track, 43-degree banks in the turns. All the excitement of NASCAR, without the roll cages.
    That looks scarier than dirt jumping!

Make sure you have a designated photographer.

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    See you there on Friday after work. Just a quick note - I've been advised that with the high cadence on the track it doesn't work very well for beginners to try to stop by applying force backwards to the pedals unless you want to launch yourself over the bars. I guess we'll find out.
    Hey, what are you doing for shoes/pedals? I'm thinking of bringing my own SPD's and a wrench ...

Kn.

evs
    mtbr member

I always wanted to try that BUT...

I can't believe they don't have some kind of braking mechanism.No brakes and flat out surrounded by those crazy bikers sounds like a rush.If anything your bunny hopping skills might come in usefull.There's a track up near Mike T. that I wanted to try if I ever get up to
    that area.Let us know how it goes....

Good Luck and Have FUN
    evs
    'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, Boldly Ride,' The Shade replied, - 'If you Seek for El Dorado!'

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    We went and watched one of the regional races a couple of weeks ago.

Wow, are they fast! On the end berm people get up to something like 12 feet off the floor.

There were two crashes, one on the end berm so the woman slid all the way down to the floor. The second was on the back straight where a woman that was out, took down a guy who was in third. He was in worse shape than she was.

Have fun guys!

Des(s)ert Rat
    Oh man! I'd crash for sure! The idea of trying to stop one of those things scares me! Of course I also find it masochistically intriguing.

No. Just No.

Bringing my own pedals

Hey, what are you doing for shoes/pedals? I'm thinking of bringing my own SPD's and a wrench ...

Kn.
    The info on the web site seemed to indicate that they are prepared to handle everything from people showing up in running shoes, to others with their own pedals or shoes. I think I'll skip the running shoes option , and bring a pair of shoes I have set up for Time ATAC cleats, along with the pedals. I normally ride Eggies, but they're kind of loosey goosey with the float, and the Times are a more solid connection which I think will be desirable for this.

As I understand it, real trackies used clipless/cleats, plus have a secondary retention strap or device because otherwise they'll just rip right out of the clips. Someone else who knows track could probably verify this. At ~2000+ watts peak power output for some of the Olympic type track competitors I guess that's not surprising. To put that in perspective ~450 watts is required given typical conditions on the road to maintain around ~50 km/h (31 mp/h) in a road time trial setting, such as L.A. or Jan Ullrich in the long time trials at TdF which are about an hour. Now compare this to the effort level it takes for the average rider to try to maintain 40km/h (25mp/h) in a solo setting for any length of time, which is only ~240 watts of output. It's an interesting perspective on the relative power outputs for these types of activities. Don't even get me started about how they accomplish this - that's another topic altogether.

When we were there it seemed everyone we saw was wearing road cleat shoes (easy to spot, they walk like a duck).

mtbr member

Most track riders legs....

are bigger than my shoulders are wide. Hang a chuck of meat on the back of your helmet...the dogs will come a running. Believe me, doing this will be inspirational. The thought of them catching up to you at mach speed and not being able to stop will make the rabbit go very fast. Run rabbit....run like hell.

evs
    mtbr member
    Last edited by evs; 12-10-2004 at 07:53 AM.
    'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, Boldly Ride,' The Shade replied, - 'If you Seek for El Dorado!'

Dazed and Confused
    Wear yer tights & long sleeves.

More drag, but less road rash.

Either that or use a skin lubricant. I hear mink oil works.
    Is ibuprofen considered a recreational drug?

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    can't wait to hear the report!

and see evidence of smooth wood leg hair removal.

rt
    It's a two-day 'learn to race' course, so I think I'll sneak the camera in on day two (Saturday). Should be some interesting pics ...

Kn.

No. Just No.

Too much mink oil

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB
    Either that or use a skin lubricant. I hear mink oil works.
    Hey Al, I've had enough talk recently on MTBR about "recreational lubricants" (another board). Come to think of it, I think I need something about that in my sig...

No. Just No.

Test of new sig

Hey Al, I've had enough talk recently on MTBR about "recreational lubricants" (another board). Come to think of it, I think I need something about that in my sig...
    hmmmm
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Dazed and Confused
    Phil's sticky stuff?

I though that was just repackaged chainsaw lubricant.

No. Just No.

Maybe

Phil's sticky stuff?

I though that was just repackaged chainsaw lubricant.
    But it's not much fun if it doesn't come in a little green tube that costs 10x as much.

BTW, I've also finally selected an avatar image, as an "homage" in your honour.

What is it, a slug?

Dazed and Confused
    Oh thanks, a dog turd?

No. Just No.

Buy a clue guys

It's a freakin' mink.

Dazed and Confused
    Oh right. That's what I thought... after I saved it and the file name turned out to be minky.jpg.

It looks just like this

Well, almost like it.
    Last edited by AlanB; 12-10-2004 at 01:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oh thanks, a dog turd?
    I agree. It looks like a turd.

You boys have fun roundy round this weekend. Do they spin you one way each day, or send you home dizzy?

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    You boys have fun roundy round this weekend. Do they spin you one way each day, or send you home dizzy?
    I think they start two groups at a time, one going each way. Survivors get to switch directions after a few laps.

Kn.

mtbr member
    I think they start two groups at a time, one going each way. Survivors get to switch directions after a few laps.

Kn.
    Figure 8 racing would be a great spectator sport. With or without a crossover jump.

No. Just No.

Don't put words in my mouth

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    looks like a turd.
    I NEVER said Alan looks like a turd. Well, maybe there is some likeness after he's finished with a wet night of winter riding on the shore, but don't tell him I said so.

Medium?

Looks like my commute

except the track has potholes, pieces of metal and wet leaves. The other racers weigh two or three tons, and while they have brakes, they pretty strongly prefer to use their horns.
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 12-10-2004 at 05:30 PM.

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Small world

I'm starting training for the local Track Racing circut this coming March. This should be fun. I only wish the Velodrome here had a cover so it could be done year around. Anyway, it should be fun.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
    I'm starting training for the local Track Racing circut this coming March. This should be fun. I only wish the Velodrome here had a cover so it could be done year around. Anyway, it should be fun.
    Apparently, there are only two indoor velodromes in north america. We gots one!

Kn.

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Oh well,

Kn.
    If I didn't like the weather, i wouldn't live here. We'll trade stories.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Currently in Exile

Where are they?

Kn.
    My guess is that you are somewhere out East.

That looks interesting. I like just about anything on a bike, and love racing. Not that I am any good at it mind you, but I still enjoy it.

Here in ND, we have indoor pools, water parks, rock climbing, running, tennis,RC car racing, shooting ranges, high school football, and golf. I am sure that this is not a complete list. An indoor velodrome would sure be nice to give me something to do over the LONG winter.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

A wheelist
    Great stuff Ken! My track racing days are long over. I don't have any pics of me on the track (in the UK) but here's a pic of me and one of BC's (Victoria's, Canada's) finest cyclists - Torchy Peden .

Torchy was a guest of honor at a local criterium I organized back in the mid-70s and he did me the honor of coming back to my place for a photo shoot. He brought all his old scrapbooks along too and we spent hours looking at them. Torchy left us in the early '80s.

Torchy is way up there as one of the winningest six-day track racers of all time.

Here's a pic of me (1975 remember!) and Torchy and if anyone comments on my attire (of the period!) I'll come & fit some 180mm cranks to their track bike. That'll fix ya!

No. Just No.

Wow, nice pic with a legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Here's a pic of me (1975 remember!) and Torchy and if anyone comments on my attire (of the period!) I'll come & fit some 180mm cranks to their track bike. That'll fix ya!
    He's from way before my time, but I always hear Torchy Peden's name on the short list when people talk about the greatest Canadian cyclists of all time. Nice photo op.

BTW, those are some sweet duds you're wearing I could never pull off trying to look serious in pants that completely cover my shoes (waiting to be "crowned" with the 180mm cranks now...)

The track K'endo & Circlip are talking about is in Burnaby, BC, which is a suburb of Vancouver.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    those pants musta been a nightmare to keep from getting caught up in the gears....

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    those pants musta been a nightmare to keep from getting caught up in the gears....
    Smartarses! Ok it's 180mm cranks on a 45 degree banking for you and Circlip. If you keep it above 30mph you'll be ok.

beer thief
    Looks like someone spilled spaghetti sauce all over 'em, too.

Tig
    I ride, therefore I am.
    Aw, trackie racin' and ridin' ain't that bad. Go fast, turn left. Just don't try to coast! You'll get bucked up out of your seat before you know what happened.

I'm an old track racer who still rides fixed gear on the road (more fun than multi-speeds). I may return to the track in the spring if I can fit it in between NORBA fun. Racing track is fun and addictive, so watch out. Consider yourselves warned!

The early bird gets the worm,
    but the second mouse gets the cheese.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    Looks like someone spilled spaghetti sauce all over 'em, too.
    Naww Torchy spilled his butterscotch pudding all over me.

So how did the course go?

No. Just No.

Track riding - the myth, the reality

A couple of hours hanging around the 'drome doesn't exactly qualify me as expert, but here's the exec summary.

1. The simple act of riding around the track solo isn't very hard, even getting 10+ feet up on the 48 degree banked turns is no biggie. A little speed and commitment is all it takes, just like most aspects of mountain biking. However, I'm sure that actual track racing is completely the opposite, with razor edge skills probably required to thread in and around other riders at high speed.

2. As our instructor said, in most cases falling on the track is probably going to have less consequences than falling at the same speed on a trail or on the road. No one in our group of 3 hit the boards, but I can see how it would probably mean just sliding to a stop in most cases. If you are going to lose it in the corners it's probably going to be from going too slow and having the rear wheel start to slide down the grade. I would guess that gravity would probably plop you down relatively gently on the 48 degree slope and slide you down to the bottom edge without too much damage.

3. The complication seems to come not from riding around on your own, but instead from navigating around the track safely with other riders, some of whom are going faster and some slower. Most of our course was spent learning the protocols of the different "zones" on the track, when/how those zones should be used, and how to safely move from one zone to the other. Lots and lots of shoulder checks (my neck still hurts).

No pics unfortunately, since K'Endo was planning to bring the camera for the second day of the course, which was postponed until they sign up a required minimum number of participants. I'd go back to do it again sometime, but for me I wouldn't rate it up there right now with either being on a trail or riding road. You'd have no problem with the course.
    Last edited by Circlip; 12-13-2004 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Freaky apostrophe stuff happening

So you guys only did the Friday night course?

No. Just No.

Uh huh

Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    So you guys only did the Friday night course?
    I'm going to try to catch the level 2 course this coming Saturday if it runs. I think they may have another LTR1 this Friday, in case you want to do 2 nights in a row and join me for LTR2 on Saturday.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Don't even get me started about how they accomplish this - that's another topic altogether.
    For the steroid thread?

Sorry, no can do, tiz the holiday season, lots of eating & drinking in progress.

Dain Bramaged

So what's wrong with sticks an' skatin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    Here in ND, we have indoor pools, water parks, rock climbing, running, tennis,RC car racing, shooting ranges, high school football, and golf. I am sure that this is not a complete list. An indoor velodrome would sure be nice to give me something to do over the LONG winter.
    No self respectin' Nodaker should leave the fine arts of ice battle off the winter activity list. For shame. That being said, after getting on the ice (in goal no less) after 19 years off a few weeks ago, I was sore in leg muscles I never knew existed. Went for a ride the next day and damned if the cycling muscles were just fine. Ahhh....winter saddle time.

No. Just No.

All second hand information for me

Quote Originally Posted by Axe
    For the steroid thread?
    I just read the same news items as everyone else. Too much conflicting and contradictory information for me to feel confident about offering any opinions.

About a week ago I recall scanning the top stories on our country's major sporting news website. 4 of the 8 primary headlines were performance/drug related, and all in different sports (2 were BALCO items, of course). Pathetic...

Hopefully the current mess of sorts itself out within the next few years. I can't tell you who's guilty or not, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that something is seriously wrong. In a culture where elite athletics are so pervasive as modern day mythologies and heroes, this has social ramifcations that transcend the actual sporting environments.

That probably hikes my personal daily babble quotient over the allowable limit. Time to hit the satellite channels looking for reruns of Falcon Crest.

Dazed and Confused
    So what's it like riding something with a 90 head angle and steel-hard wheels?
    Would you suggest any tweaks to the setup to get it ready for Ladies Only?

Yummy
    So what's it like riding something with a 90� head angle and steel-hard wheels?
    Would you suggest any tweaks to the setup to get it ready for Ladies Only?
    Al - you should sign up for Friday's LTR course!

Kn.

Dazed and Confused

Must defer until 2005

Al - you should sign up for Friday's LTR course!

Kn.
    Same excuse as Craig. Things are just too busy right now. I don't think I can even make the NSMBA fund raiser on Thursday.

Maybe next year, all of 3 weeks away.

Next time you and Circlip are in Clevland, you'll feel right at home on the wall ride shown in the second post:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=66168

"Mr. Britannica"
    FYI- Track Worlds are in LA next spring.

Snuck on and did a few laps on this one a few years back, not nearly as tight.