first rock rash is the deepest.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

first rock rash is the deepest.

I liked having a shiny new and perfectly painted bike. I paid what i consider a good chunk of change for it. The first 5 or so rides i was taking it easy getting used to it. After each ride i would clean every nook and cranny with a microfiber cloth. Well that ended, i knew it would. Went down twice tonight couldn't unclip from my new pedals and boom.

mtbr member
    You know the rules... Pics or it didn't happen! Let's see!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

well i got over this one, then i leaned my bike against a tower of rocks. the little towers that people stack on the trails. the tower tumbled on my frame. hah.

Vermonter to the Core
    The first one is always the hardest!!! I got my first scratch on my bike at Gooseberry Mesa sooo It a great memory.
    JEM
    09 Marlin Disc
    2010 Cannondale RZ 120....
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

mtbr member
    I wish I could get my first scratch, but, I'm still waiting for my Tallboy to come in.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    I replace my bike when it gets scratched.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have a friend that bought a new bike last year.He rides with us,trying to avoid any mud,branches and won't take any chances on the trail for fear of scratching his bike.After every ride he gives it a wax job.Don't sound like a lot of fun to me.When I buy new bikes I could care less about scratches.When you have these types of scars on your bike it shows you are enjoying your ride,trying things,having fun.If I get them on the first ride so be it.Dents are another thing though.

Just my 2 cents worth.

≈ > ♥
    I've gotten my latest frames without paint.
    Don't have to worry about scratching the paint if you don't have any.

mtbr member
    I always dump my new bikes down the trail and let them crash before I do the first ride. Get that first crash and scratches out of the way so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Afric Pepperbird
    Don't give up on clipless pedals yet! It will only get better from here.

A black Sharpie will work on the black.

mtbr member
    I got my new bike about month ago and all was well until last ride. I had first crash with it yesterday. After the crash all was well. The bike was not "new" anymore so I rode even harder and faster after that.

College Boy
    it is a mountain bike. It supposed to get scratch. Just consider them battle scares and let the bike proudly wear them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    it is a mountain bike. It supposed to get scratch. Just consider them battle scares and let the bike proudly wear them.

I think we all know that. However, when we drop the crazy cash on a bike it is hard not to baby it at first.

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by OnaMTBtrailisME
    I think we all know that. However, when we drop the crazy cash on a bike it is hard not to baby it at first.
    true that. I know on my bike first crash was kind of rough and it went sliding against the rocks after I bailed.

Now days after a crash as long as nothing is bent or broken I am a happy camper (both on me and the bike)

meow meow
    pshhhh. barely a scratch. but the first time you mess up your paint job does suck.

Life is Good
    Quote Originally Posted by big knobs
    I have a friend that bought a new bike last year.He rides with us,trying to avoid any mud,branches and won't take any chances on the trail for fear of scratching his bike.After every ride he gives it a wax job.Don't sound like a lot of fun to me.When I buy new bikes I could care less about scratches.When you have these types of scars on your bike it shows you are enjoying your ride,trying things,having fun.If I get them on the first ride so be it.Dents are another thing though.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    I wax my bike after just about every ride with a bottle of that silicone Bike Lust stuff. I enjoy cleaning/waxing it, you get to inspect and appreciate the high tech investment that you spent so much money on. However, if you hold yourself back on rides for fear of getting it muddy/scratched etc... well that's a little bit too far. As long as the scratch/scrape occurs during the ride and not from me leaning the bike against a brick wall or something like that... oh well.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    I've gotten my latest frames without paint.
    Don't have to worry about scratching the paint if you don't have any.
    Smart move.
    :wq

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Man, I was thinking this thread would be about some garishly horrific wounds that the mountain inflicted on you with your first crash. So disappointed.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Get raw and will never have to worry about paint damage again.

One reason why I got that but yet I still put 3M clear film on it....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Judd97
    I wax my bike after just about every ride with a bottle of that silicone Bike Lust stuff. I enjoy cleaning/waxing it, you get to inspect and appreciate the high tech investment that you spent so much money on. However, if you hold yourself back on rides for fear of getting it muddy/scratched etc... well that's a little bit too far. As long as the scratch/scrape occurs during the ride and not from me leaning the bike against a brick wall or something like that... oh well.

I clean my bike after every ride also (have to because of all the mud we ride) but I don't worry about scratches and the like.I don't misuse the bike just ride it like it should be ridden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    my first scratch? from rubbing on a walmart bike while bungied on a trailer headed to the trails. It had only been on 3 rides at the time. Definitely not memorable

Mountain Man Dan
    I leaned mine up against a friends square mailbox post, it fell and dented my top tube. So pissed. Put a sticker over it.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I got my first scratch on my ASR5 a few days ago. Took a spill in a rock garden and wasn't able to unclip in time on my new pedals also. Went down to the carbon on the chainstay. Good thing it was just clearcoat.

Members who have read this thread: 0