fat fat fatty fat fat fat- Mtbr.com

Jul 2005

fat fat fatty fat fat fat

Sheesh. Once again I've put off writing a prodigous research paper until approximately 24 hours before it's due. This time, my fantastical political science course has given me a totally open-ended assignment that has to somehow involve government and the economy. That isn't the hard part.

The hard part, after choosing to look at the economics of obesity, is not going out to ride at 3am instead of pouring over depressing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention statistics.

"The latest data from the National Center for Health Statistics show that 30 percent of U.S. adults 20 years of age and older—over 60 million people—are obese. This increase is not limited to adults. The percentage of young people who are overweight has more than tripled since 1980. Among children and teens aged 6–19 years, 16 percent (over 9 million young
    people) are considered overweight. (Centers for Disease Control and
    Prevention: Overweight and Obesity: Frequently Asked Questions)"

Just two days ago my friend and I were on a training ride, cresting a moderate hill in Seattle when his fancy-pants Dura-Ace crank exploded. This was surprising, considering each bolt had been affixed with a torque wrench to the appropriate tightness, and he was riding on the crank for the second time. Three of the bolts sheared and he bent the crank arm. Anyway, long story short is I then towed him several miles on my pig of a 'cross bike via inner tube, past hundreds if not thousands of people trapped in their cars on their way home from work. Despite pulling 200+/- pounds of angry rider and bike in addition to my 172 total (why is it the guy with the 24 pound bike always has to pull the guy with the 17 pound one?), I felt like the lucky one.

Have a nice ride today if at all possible, folks.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbeaver
    The hard part, after choosing to look at the economics of obesity, is not going out to ride at 3am instead of pouring over depressing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention statistics.
    sounds like an interesting topic that could be fun at many levels...lots of info available, but it's now a huge category

writing a half decent paper on this would be like eating an oyster...the more you chew, the bigger it gets

my girl rides also
    Feb 2005
    It's a shame that people have to WANT to learn about nutrition, exercise, and getting healthy.

Yes, we are a nation of fatasses. Nausiating. And furthermore, it's not socially acceptable to let obese people know it. When I used to smoke, people let me know how bad it was for me all the time.

Why can't I tell some fatass that "the next bite you eat is going to give you a heart attack...why do you do this to yourself? You're going to kill yourself in the long run, buddy...."

Double standards. Got to love them.

Not sure if I hijacked this thread or not, but just had to say that.

Time to ride.
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Jan 2006
    In some ways, I feel sorry for these people. Depending on the severity of their condition, many of them live extremely lonely lives. I always like hearing about the "turnaround stories", but my guess is that many do it with drugs.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oilfreeandhappy
    In some ways, I feel sorry for these people. Depending on the severity of their condition, many of them live extremely lonely lives. I always like hearing about the "turnaround stories", but my guess is that many do it with drugs.
    nope, did it with bikes...have a great "turnaround story" on what happened after i got diagnosed with diabetes

all's well now...and no drugs, not even an aspirin

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VA2SLOride
    When I used to smoke, people let me know how bad it was for me all the time. .
    ...and I'm sure that you were surprised to find out that cigarettes were bad for you and you appreciated the comments

Quote Originally Posted by VA2SLOride
    Why can't I tell some fatass that "the next bite you eat is going to give you a heart attack...why do you do this to yourself? You're going to kill yourself in the long run, buddy...."

Do you really think that fat people don't know that they're fat? Do you think they want your opinion? Do fat people bother you? What if people that believe that mountain biking is crazy approached you and gave you a hard time about it.

It's none of their business..... just as telling an obese person that they're harming their health is none of your business.

Feb 2004

Nearly impossible to not get fat

For many years I have worked on controlling my weight (I come from a "big-boned" family) - trying to eat less red meat, fatty foods, etc. In spite of this, I peaked last spring at 225 lbs. Now I'm 12 weeks into a Weight Watchers regimen and have done a lot of research into calories/fat in the foods we eat - the only way to be successful with WW. There's a great website (www.dietfacts.com) that has nutrition info for most restaurant food, which definitely opened my eyes. Even places that many would consider more nutritious and healthy, like Chipotle or Sweet Tomatoes, serve mostly calorie-laden fare. The tortilla used in a Chipotle burrito (just the tortilla) has 340 calories and 9 grams of fat! That's enough calories for a meal for the average person. A beef burrito with the usual rice, beans, salsa, barbacoa, cheese and sour cream has a whopping 1300 calories and 53 grams of fat. Go to Panera Bread and get their new Chicken Olivada sandwich: 750 calories and 28 grams of fat.

The point is that it is nearly impossible to avoid getting fat when almost everything available is so unhealthy. Even salads are loaded up - get a caesar salad at Old Chicago and you're eating 835 calories with an amazing 66 grams of fat. The only way to escape this madness is to prepare meals yourself with healthy ingredients and modest portions. When eating out you must research your meal ahead of time and avoid the "fat bombs" that many people unsuspectingly eat. Frankly, it's hard work that most people are reluctant to do.

Jul 2005
    My point is that the phenomenon of overweight and obese Americans has been in large part precipitated by the government and corporate powers. Vast profits are realized in the medical, food, automobile, and other industries resulting directly or indirectly from obesity. The costs of obesity, in turn, are paid by society at large in the form of medicare etc.. Though fewer people are smoking these days, obesity is running down smoking-related deaths in this country. The Ponzi scheme of SS (social security, not single speeds) will drag on just a bit longer if those who were dying prematurely due to smoking are in turn replaced by those dying from the complications of obesity.

The overweight and obese typically suffer from lower energy levels. Though some will undoubtedly call the overweight lazy (hell, some are) it is undeniably more difficult to do just about anything when a person is overweight. That includes, coincidentally, voting, being politically active, increasing one's economic mobility, or otherwise engaging in that pesky little thing called dissent.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bykhed
    The point is that it is nearly impossible to avoid getting fat when almost everything available is so unhealthy. .
    I have to confess, I don't prepare my own food hardly at all. Last time I had my Body Fat tested it was pretty low. It's probably a combination of reasonable diet, exercise and a genetic "set point". I have siblings who are also thin and don't exercise anywhere near as often as I do. Anyway, by being a cyclist, you have taken an important step in the right direction.

banned
    Mar 2005
    My point is that the phenomenon of overweight and obese Americans has been in large part precipitated by the government and corporate powers.
    in an odd way, what you type is true...corporate powers are there to make money...you sit in cubes, little activity, just staring at a computer screen for 8 hours is not what most bodies were designed for.

The focus of corporate food producers is to sell their stuff...they test their new products on focus groups who tell them what they like (lots of carbs and fat), and they make what will sell...it's the uneducated consumer that buys this stuff and actually thinks that it's good for them

This is where the government comes in...we had a fight in canada a couple of years ago because someone suggested that nutrition content labels be put on all commercially prepared food, including restaurants...the food lobby managed to stop the hardest part of the legislation by having nutrition info available voluntarily on web sites or wrapping. One small win was the requirement to disclose trans-fat content as this is probablythe most harmfull thing that anyone can ingest

can't be too carefull, and just because it doesn't come with a health warning doesn't mean that it's harmless

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    yes. fat fat. the govt needs to rethink the % bodyfat that makes a person obese. I'm 5'10" and yoyo like hell between 185 and 210. 210 puts me at prob like the 30% pt--no I dont look all that fat and dont feel bad.

in fact i am tiring of trying to meet an prescribed ideal weight of 165---even at 175 which I got down to once very early last year---I could not maintain without eating carrots practically strictly vegies. Did I ride faster at 175--I suppose...

...do I give a damn--no I feel overall more comfortable weighing more I think--I guess I like food and in the amt and type I like better than being thin.

oh and i cant think of a time I broke a bike part---

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    yes. fat fat. the govt needs to rethink the % bodyfat that makes a person obese. I'm 5'10" and yoyo like hell between 185 and 210. 210 puts me at prob like the 30% pt--no I dont look all that fat and dont feel bad
    heck, i went from 300+ to 175, felt like crap so i put a few (very few) pounds on...problem is that i work out about 5hrs/day and have put on so much muscle that i look fat again

don't feel fat, though

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yes. fat fat. the govt needs to rethink the % bodyfat that makes a person obese. I'm 5'10" and yoyo like hell between 185 and 210. 210 puts me at prob like the 30% pt--no I dont look all that fat and dont feel bad.

in fact i am tiring of trying to meet an prescribed ideal weight of 165---even at 175 which I got down to once very early last year---I could not maintain without eating carrots practically strictly vegies. Did I ride faster at 175--I suppose...

...do I give a damn--no I feel overall more comfortable weighing more I think--I guess I like food and in the amt and type I like better than being thin.

oh and i cant think of a time I broke a bike part---
    I'm with your buddy. the Body Mass Index is a CROCK! It doesn't take into account lean muscle mass, at all. I'm 5'10" and weigh 210lbs, and that puts me in the obese category. and I am not fat. according to the BMI, every pro running back in the NFL would also be considered obese. a crock I tell ya!

Samsonite Tester
    Why care at all . No need to diet when I can just have all that unsightly fat sucked out via liposuction . Tummytuck and botox to top it off . I won't even break a sweat .
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    At 5'7, 195 I've been considered obese by the BMI calculations all my life. Even when I took 3rd in the teen division of Mr. New England (at 175, after 12 weeks of hard dieting and water depletion). That index is garbage.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

Jul 2005
    The CDC says the BMI does not reflect athletes because it does not take into account muscle mass. The BMI reflects average people, whereas athletes are atypical.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by funkenstein
    I'm with your buddy. the Body Mass Index is a CROCK! It doesn't take into account lean muscle mass, at all. I'm 5'10" and weigh 210lbs, and that puts me in the obese category. and I am not fat. according to the BMI, every pro running back in the NFL would also be considered obese. a crock I tell ya!

Yup, BMI doesn’t take body composition into account. For the record, my measurement was done by electroimpedence (sp?) and it’s not all that accurate a measurement either. The posts here seem to corroborate the premise that certain bodies have “set points” they want to be at.

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail05
    Yup, BMI doesn’t take body composition into account. For the record, my measurement was done by electroimpedence (sp?) and it’s not all that accurate a measurement either. The posts here seem to corroborate the premise that certain bodies have “set points” they want to be at.
    Those "set points" start to lose their relevance when individuals need to drive an hour or more to work, then sit, ingest energy dense nutrient poor foods (often because alternatives are costly, unavailable, or time consuming by comparison), and return home listless only to gorge on more nutritionally-deficient foods.

ballbuster

I think the core issue is more...

... we are a nation of lazy people.

I can't tell you how many people eat nothing but processed foods instead of cooking properly, refuse to walk more than a block or two (I have neighbors who drive to the corner convinience store for 3 items, and they are in their 30s and 40s like me), or even pay people to do everything for them. Their kids don't ride their bikes one mile to school like I did when I was a kid, they get driven rain or shine.

I used to work for a city government. We were trying to save IT costs, and decided to take out the dozens of inkjet printers off everybody's desks and replace them with centerlaized high volume laser printers. You should have seen all the people who were close to breaking down in tears because they would have to get up and walk 15 feet to get a printed document. No kidding. People were threatening to resign.

For me, I realized one day that getting up to do something wasn't 'work' buit a chance to get up and stretch a bit. I started bounding up stairs instead of using the elevator. Everybody thought I was crazy

My big worry is what this is going to do to our health care system, as lame as it is already. Imagine 70% of the populous needing thousands of dollars worth of care a month. Scary. They are gonna ruin it for all of us. My wife already pays monster fat cash for her plan, eventhough she is pretty healthy, and I have a $2500 deductable on my plan. It is only getting worse.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 03-15-2006 at 05:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Funkenstein has a point, I too, do not believe in BMI as categorizing people to normal weight, over weight, obese, morbidly obese and super obese. I bet when Arnold Schwarzeneger (the now governor), when he won the Mr. Universe he would have had BMI of 35% then or more.
    Unfortunately the medical field has not come up with a proper prescription for exercise, I am planning to find one.
    I can summarize the Atkin's diet, south beach diet, sonoma diet, Oprah diet, harpo diet, etc... to calories in should be calories out.
    So winter XC ski for me and MTB during spring and summer. Year round of calories out.
    JD

Dec 2003
    ... pulling 200+/- pounds of angry rider and bike in addition to my 172 total (why is it the guy with the 24 pound bike always has to pull the guy with the 17 pound one?)...
    You should've swapped bikes and made him tow you.

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    You should've swapped bikes and made him tow you.
    Yeah, but I didn't want to give him the glory of making me look like the one with the broken bike, or the one with the balls to pull his sorry butt halfway 'cross town.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    wait till brid flu goes human to human; then it will be survival of the fittest (or the ones with the biggest guns)... start your training now.

I like Squishy Bikes

ah yes...

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... we are a nation of lazy people.

We were trying to save IT costs, and decided to take out the dozens of inkjet printers off everybody's desks and replace them with centerlaized high volume laser printers. You should have seen all the people who were close to breaking down in tears because they would have to get up and walk 15 feet to get a printed document. No kidding. People were threatening to resign.

Similar story here (going the other way)
    everybody wants a personal printer on their desk.
    Warehouse people think I'm a nut, I refuse to use the IT golf cart.

I love the looks I get when I bring my bike to work.
    I get the usual questions-comments,
    "why not ride a motorsicle?"
    "you paid more than $200 for that bike?"
    "you rode how many miles!?"
    but my favorite, "you sure do eat a lot"

* I'm 5'8" 165lbs (With a nice little beer belly too )
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

Feb 2006
    Fat people sicken the hell out of me. Smokers are equally vile. And dont get me started on fat smokers. But worse than all of them- skinny little twits who do NOTHING to care for their bodies and have the audacity to criticize fat-asses.

paintbucket
    I like the title of this thread. Its got a nice rythym to it.

I don't like people who don't take care of themselves. They drive up my health care costs and insurance.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    When you write your paper, make it a point to note how much the fat people in the U.S. have helped our economy. What? You've never heard of the "survival of the fattest" before?

V-Shaped Rut
    I recently visited eastern europe and noticed a startling lack of obese people. I wasn't doing the typical tourist thing, we stayed with my fiance's parents and saw how people really live. After my initial family meals I couldn't believe that people there were not only not obese but lean by US standards. Potatoes, kielbasa, beer, fried everything! WTF? As a lifelong athlete and student of 'the game' it didn't make sense at first. But a few things came to me over the course of the trip that brought it into perspective.

#1: Portion size was much smaller, sometimes half what we eat normally in the US.
    #2: People walk everywhere. Sure they have cars, but a lot of people walk to the neighborhood store, it was not uncommon to see grandma pedalling her bike across town.
    #3: Most of the food was fresh, natural and organic and most people aren't eating out nearly as much as in the US. Home cooked meals.....

We're fat because everything on our shelves has corn syrup, saturated fat and empty carbs. We're fat because we drive instead of walk. We're fat because we buy fast food instead of cooking at home. And we're fat because we eat too ****ing much.

Its too easy to blame 'the bad stuff out there' for our problems. They make the crap because we buy it and make them rich. Its not a conspiracy, you can't blame companies in a capatalist country for being efficient and successful.

Its very easy to be lean. Eat chicken breasts, fish, brown rice, brocolli, sweet potatoes, oatmeal and lots of fruits and veggies. Get some fish oil and olive oil in your diet. Take your own food to work. Leave the car at home as much as possible and walk or ride a bike. Lift weights 3 times a week. Put McDonalds out of business, they never did a thing for you anyway.

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliusCecil
    Fat people sicken the hell out of me. Smokers are equally vile. And dont get me started on fat smokers. But worse than all of them- skinny little twits who do NOTHING to care for their bodies and have the audacity to criticize fat-asses.
    I hope you pick up a few too many pounds later in life and realize that being 'fat' doesn't make you the scum of the earth. Lets tone it down a little. eh?
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    I recently visited eastern europe and noticed a startling lack of obese people. I wasn't doing the typical tourist thing, we stayed with my fiance's parents and saw how people really live. After my initial family meals I couldn't believe that people there were not only not obese but lean by US standards. Potatoes, kielbasa, beer, fried everything! WTF? As a lifelong athlete and student of 'the game' it didn't make sense at first. But a few things came to me over the course of the trip that brought it into perspective.

#1: Portion size was much smaller, sometimes half what we eat normally in the US.
    #2: People walk everywhere. Sure they have cars, but a lot of people walk to the neighborhood store, it was not uncommon to see grandma pedalling her bike across town.
    #3: Most of the food was fresh, natural and organic and most people aren't eating out nearly as much as in the US. Home cooked meals.....

We're fat because everything on our shelves has corn syrup, saturated fat and empty carbs. We're fat because we drive instead of walk. We're fat because we buy fast food instead of cooking at home. And we're fat because we eat too ****ing much.

Its too easy to blame 'the bad stuff out there' for our problems. They make the crap because we buy it and make them rich. Its not a conspiracy, you can't blame companies in a capatalist country for being efficient and successful.

Its very easy to be lean. Eat chicken breasts, fish, brown rice, brocolli, sweet potatoes, oatmeal and lots of fruits and veggies. Get some fish oil and olive oil in your diet. Take your own food to work. Leave the car at home as much as possible and walk or ride a bike. Lift weights 3 times a week. Put McDonalds out of business, they never did a thing for you anyway.
    All great points, but you're probably preaching to the choir on this board. I recall passing out leaflets in front of McDonalds about 12 years ago, trying to do exactly that!

Jul 2005
    I wonder how my paper was received. My TA is French (from France, not just of French descent), so he'll probably get a kick out of it.

mtbr member
    It's not just fat fat fatty fat fat fat, to be concerned about. Wether you're fat or not says nothing about whats lining your arteries. Some people eat crap all the time and are not fat at all, but have high cholesterol. Even some don't have actually high choles. but there is still terrible stuff soon to be clogging the vessels (though not ever showing up around the middle as extra lbs). Even it they are terrific atheletes and exercise, exercise, exercise all the time! It's not always just fat or not, but what you put in your mouth and the health inside the body. Even if some (including myself) think they are fit and trim and regular bikers on the weekends and frequenting the gym weeknights, this doesn't mean that they will live healthier and longer then the other guy who is "fat" yet eats better. I guess I say something because I'm an unfat person who's diet is not that great. I allow myself to much of what I shouldn't, not cuz I don't want to get fat, but because it's simply not good for me.
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bykhed
    The point is that it is nearly impossible to avoid getting fat when almost everything available is so unhealthy.
    By organic more often and avoid processed foods.

These are must buys for organic: Apples, bell peppers, celery, cherries, imported grapes, nectarines, peaches, pears, potatoes, red raspberries, spinach, and strawberries. Meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    I hope you pick up a few too many pounds later in life and realize that being 'fat' doesn't make you the scum of the earth. Lets tone it down a little. eh?
    Tone it down? No way. This is PASSION, remember? And while fat people do indeed sicken me, I wish only progress for them, unlike yourself who hopes that I, one day, am stricken with the illness of obesity. That's what it is. A sickness. A healthy body DOES NOT store energy as bodyfat, only a SICK body does. And I'm sick of everyone trying to make seem OK for people to be fat when it is not. The one advantage fatties have is that their bulbous bodies are screaming for help. What about that skinny guy who gorges on Mcdonald and Domino's for years, and drops dead at age 50 from a heart attack, and everyone says " I can't believe it, he seemed so healthy" Why? because he wasn't fat? Meanwhile, more subtle symptoms were present all along, but noone noticed because he wasn't a fat bastard. You might ask why it bothers me so, and I would understand why, so allow me to ellaborate just a little. Every once in while I don't have time to prepare my own natural, unadulterated, non-toxic-sludge meals. It would be nice to be able to enjoy the convenience of a drive-thru, like everyone else. The problem with that is I value my health, making such an occurrance impossible. Why? Because I'm in the smallest minority in America-those who give a crap about their health. I don't believe in consuming whatever the hell I want and then taking some pill to bail me out. And those who do, which happens to be most, make it harder for the rest of us, so yes, your self-neglect does affect me. When it doesnt', then I'll "tone it down"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The CDC says the BMI does not reflect athletes because it does not take into account muscle mass. The BMI reflects average people, whereas athletes are atypical.
    Yeah but the CDC probably isn't excluding athletes from the overweight and obese categories when it does it 30% of all Americans are ___________ either.

The CDC doesn't appear to have an equivalent Multiply your age in years by ZZ divide by your weight in grams times YY and if the number is greater than NN YOU are an athlete formula or any other easy way to determine when BMI shouldn't be applied that they distribute.

Jan 2006
    Cross posted from the "car hit" thread

JuliusCecil: "I'm with you Devo
    What the world is really short of, is individuals like yourself who are compassionate to others, rather than "getting what you can" out of it. Kudos to you for being someone who reacts with a little conviction. It's refreshing to see. Sometimes I think the whole world is going mad, then I see that I'm not alone in thinking of others, and it's an inspiration. I don't mind being in the minority on this either. I wouldn't expect most people to agree and that's the way I like it."

how about taking some of your own advice - get some compassion

Evilbeaver has it right - it's bloody hard to do anything when you are overweight including getting the motivation and energy to lose that weight.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts

It's none of their business..... just as telling an obese person that they're harming their health is none of your business.
    It should be our business as poor health habits are responsible for a disproportionate amount of health care costs. We all pay when the nation is unhealthy.

Sorry for the rant, just got off work.

grasso e lento

The biggest fear is

When your body produces cholesterol naturally. Yup, that is right. My 99 year old grandmother and I produce cholesterol by the buckets...... My numbers are in check but I can tell you this, fitness is a concern later in life.

-Dude
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

mtbr member

Smile I'm the Fatty!!!

Ok, I'm new to the board and was actually researching info on anyone who's dieting and what they are currently doing to lose weight when I found this thread. I used to bike a lot, and was in awesome shape, then life took over and I started putting on the pounds. Right now I'm right at 200lbs and about 5'6". So, for a female, I'm overweight. I've never been small, like size 4 or anything, but I can sure improve on my existing tub. My goal is to be around 150-160 in shape and fit.

Let me say upfront that my fatty fatness is my own fault! It's not McDonald's clever marketing, it's not Coca Cola machines in every building across town, it's not the products my local store stocks. It's all ME! I eat; I eat too much; I eat too much of the wrong things! I make poor nutrition decisions and my body pays for it.

The hard part is figuring out just what "diet" to use. There are SO many out there...low carb, no carb, all fat, heck even an ice cream diet. So I think it can be overwhelming for those who've been chronically overweight to figure out where to start. A person doesn't want to start down the wrong path and try something for months only to find out it isn't working. I've decided to try to eat a balanced diet, reducing how much I eat at any given time, and increasing the number of times I eat. I also stopped drinking all pop and solely rely on good old water.

I want to be in shape. I want my energy levels back up. I love to run and miss heading out the front door and taking a jog.

Be patient with us fatties-some of us are trying really hard. And, if you see us on the trails, don't laugh or point---remember the laws of physics--if we're coming downhill we'll pick up a lot of speed-you wouldn't want a collision with the equivelent of a one-ton truck would ya??

PS: being on mtbr has really motivated me to keep working hard--keep posting the pics!

Jan 2006
    You rock IDdirtgirl. Stay with it. And I promise I won't point!

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostlyflat
    Cross posted from the "car hit" thread

JuliusCecil: "I'm with you Devo
    What the world is really short of, is individuals like yourself who are compassionate to others, rather than "getting what you can" out of it. Kudos to you for being someone who reacts with a little conviction. It's refreshing to see. Sometimes I think the whole world is going mad, then I see that I'm not alone in thinking of others, and it's an inspiration. I don't mind being in the minority on this either. I wouldn't expect most people to agree and that's the way I like it."

how about taking some of your own advice - get some compassion

Evilbeaver has it right - it's bloody hard to do anything when you are overweight including getting the motivation and energy to lose that weight.

Compassion, like respect, must be earned. I have compassion for those who at least make an effort, no matter how misguided or downright silly the effort may be. But most unhealthy people are just lazy slugs with no self-discipline, deserving not compassion, but a kick in the ass. You've obviously looked at my prior posts, and I find it very deceitful that you left out several of my posts where I offer advice to the best of my knowledge, as an attempt to help out some fellow peeps. Idiot.
    Last edited by JuliusCecil; 03-20-2006 at 02:17 PM.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IDdirtgirl
    Ok, I'm new to the board and was actually researching info on anyone who's dieting and what they are currently doing to lose weight when I found this thread. I used to bike a lot, and was in awesome shape, then life took over and I started putting on the pounds. Right now I'm right at 200lbs and about 5'6". So, for a female, I'm overweight. I've never been small, like size 4 or anything, but I can sure improve on my existing tub. My goal is to be around 150-160 in shape and fit.

Let me say upfront that my fatty fatness is my own fault! It's not McDonald's clever marketing, it's not Coca Cola machines in every building across town, it's not the products my local store stocks. It's all ME! I eat; I eat too much; I eat too much of the wrong things! I make poor nutrition decisions and my body pays for it.

The hard part is figuring out just what "diet" to use. There are SO many out there...low carb, no carb, all fat, heck even an ice cream diet. So I think it can be overwhelming for those who've been chronically overweight to figure out where to start. A person doesn't want to start down the wrong path and try something for months only to find out it isn't working. I've decided to try to eat a balanced diet, reducing how much I eat at any given time, and increasing the number of times I eat. I also stopped drinking all pop and solely rely on good old water.

I want to be in shape. I want my energy levels back up. I love to run and miss heading out the front door and taking a jog.

Be patient with us fatties-some of us are trying really hard. And, if you see us on the trails, don't laugh or point---remember the laws of physics--if we're coming downhill we'll pick up a lot of speed-you wouldn't want a collision with the equivelent of a one-ton truck would ya??

PS: being on mtbr has really motivated me to keep working hard--keep posting the pics!

Good for you. I wish you the best. Few things provide a feeling of empowerment like gaining control of your health. I struggled with my weight as a youth, and fought through so much bad information from commercial gimmicks to that "food pyramid". I read every book on health, diet, training etc, that I could. Most had at least something to offer, but none of them had all the answers. That's for us to figure out on our own, as we are all different inside. It's not fat people themselves who sicken me, rather, the path that led them there. I've never not been fat in my mind. That's the scar many of us live with afterward.

Don't worry, be happy!

Ride on. We have a woman in my monday night gals ride who has lost 150# with weight watchers and cycling; her sis in the same group lost 70#. Heh, they are rabid when you bring up the topic of "gastric bypass". L. is a total inspiration.

Bored Carp

Nutritionist, nutritionist, nutritionist

"Diets" are generally a watering down of basic nutritional ideas, so that the user doens't have to learn or track information. The best thing you can do for yourself is to learn about food. Learn when you need it, learn what you really need, learn what your habits are. Whether you are overweight or an athlete who needs every advantage, educting yourself is the best weapon against quick fixes, gimmick diets and disappointment.

I weighed every meal when I was racing and worked directly with an endurance nutritionist. It was the most eye opening experience I have ever had. I had no idea how ingrained and sloppy my habits were. A real surprise to me, the daughter of a marathoner who grew up in one of the first households to use the words "carbo load", and as someone who thought they "ate pretty healthily".

Just like sports doctors tend to be more sympathetic to the injured athlete, sports nutritionists tend to be more sympathetic toward the uneducated athletic eater. I would recommend seeking one to talk to. Make sure they offer a program where you can call/see them weekly to talk about your experiences - what a lot of people consider failure to control oneself is actually often just poor timing between meals or the wrong balance of foods. Only a nutritionist is going to make this adjustment period easy. The savings in future healthcare is worth the investment.

Food is one of the hardest things to change, since so many of your habits start as a kid. Information and real trackable data about yourself is one of the best ways to see the problems, changes, and eventually the successes.

Best of luck.
    Chuky
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    My goal is to be around 150-160 in shape and fit.

L
    The only way to lose weight is to get behind it mentally and it sounds like you are ready?

I lost 40 lbs. last year after an elevated cholesterol reading from a physical. I have always been pretty active and ride alot during the time of year here that I can but winters were always a weight gainer cause we have pretty long ones a though I XC ski alot.

One thing that I have not seen here is the importance of drinking lots of plain old water, and not water with ice either, just plain old water. Cold drinks do not aid in digestion. There are graphs available that will tell you how many calories you should be eating a day for the weight that you want to be. Eventually, if you only eat that many calories a day, you will become that weight, pretty simple really. It is how much you exercise that will make the time span faster.

I started about this time of year and went on a regimen of bran muffins that I made myself at the rate of 3 per day for a month. Eating bran is good for you but also if you eat a muffin with a quart of water it will be quite a filling meal actually. I supplemented with a multi vitamin and some cholesterol lowering pills I got from the health food store. I also ate veggies and salad without any condiments and some healthy bread (which is low in fat). Basically nothing with cholesterol, no eggs, no cheese, hold the mayo and hardly any meat etc.. When I could start biking again I would go every day at least enough to work up a sweat. I think that sweating at least once a day is a good thing for you body. Did I mention drink lots of water?

Anyway 3 months later I had gone from 210 to 170. This winter I have kept my weight between 170 and 175 all winter just because I have change my eating habits til they feel right now. I still have a pizza now and then from the place in my hood but I stick with the veggie and tell em to go lite on the mozzerlella. Never a big milk drinker but I use soy milk now for cooking and my morning chai. Not big on the egg substitute stuff but I do bake up some turkey bacon to keep in the fridge for dressing up salads etc..

And I totally agree with the Organic foods being the best for you. However access to farm fresh dairy, meat and produce is better and less expensive. Whole Foods can be a real drain on the wallet and their stuff comes mostly from 3 or 4 large Organic producers in California and as far away as Chile.

So good luck, it can be done and probably should be by anyone that is overweight to help them live a longer life with less illness along the way.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

CEO Product Failure

Good job! hmm....

interesting thread. Compassion. Passion. Respect. Apathy. Empathy.

I recently dropped 37/38 lbs. That's a good % off my frame. I've always been active: in 2003 I logged in 5K mi on my roadie, 2004 3K and 2005 another 3K....and I'm a mtb'r. I also train in the gym with a trainer 3 times a week for 1hr to 3 hr long sessions. My weight always stayed between 280-310. And I used diets, MetRx, GNC, Atkins, all the diets and they might shave off 10 lbs, they never really worked. I finally found one that did and its based on eating unprocessed foods. My body hates maltodextrin and turns it to fat quicker than you'd imagine. Next time you're sipping a beer, read the lable: maltodextrin. Its in everything: PowerBars, Cliff Bars, MetRx shakes, cereal,... Everything. Anyway, training, dieting, losing weight, they are all highly personal to everyone. So given my experience and lessons learned, I think the comments regarding the fast food society, convenience food-sludge products, are spot on.

Good food is out there, you've just gotta be open to finding it. Why wait 17 min's in a McD's drive thru when you can run into a grocery story/super market and grab a rotiserrie chicken breast and a sm basket of cherry tomatoes for lunch? Even if you MUST go to a drive thru, why not just order a grilled chicken sandwich, toss the (white cake-like bread) and eat the meat + tomato & lettuce. Here's what is the big pay off for me: my family is picking up on my eating habits and eating what I eat now. No, I'm no food nazi. I am a good cook-there's a catering business in the family with my first name attached to it (you do the math), but the food tastes great and I still had beer on St. Patty's Day.

Training takes commitment.

Aug 2004

Have you rode with any of the BOMBB gals?

Heck you can ride with me. I won't be up in the Foothills till Thursday though. I'm slow .

Jul 2005

Bottom Line

Losing weight is "painful" I mean you have to starve a little and eat right. Just like beginning to excersize is painful. Many people don't want to do anything that might cause them hardship in the present. I go on a starvation diet ever year to lose 15-20 lbs from the winter. I wish I could eat right year-round so I wouldn't have to do it, but at least I do it for like a month to get back to weight. I mainly do it so I do not have a heart-attack in the spring when I start to ride again. I have a couple fat friends who say they want to bike, but they don't have the will-power to lose some weight. It's a catch-22. They are too fat to bike without dying, but then they don't excersize to help lose weight. I think people just aren't used to going through some pain....You can come up with some lame diets that you hope will take some weight off, but I think you just have to starve yourself a little and eat low calorie foods.

moaaar shimz
    Bah just eat 5 or 6 times a day balanced, drink 2 litres of water, do some excercise and have a good night sleep, that is all you need.

Its only 1" on the map!

Right On!

Quote Originally Posted by glennd357
    Losing weight is "painful"
    As Pimpbot said earlier, We are a nation full of lazy people. The diet industry loves it! Most of the Fatties are too freaking lazy to do anything more than pick out a different box out of the frozen food section of the grocery store. Sure you can do that and loose some weight but its going to come back on. Change your lifestyle and the weight will take care of itself.

MTBBill's guide to all fatties who want to loose weight: On a regular basis - Shut your freaking twinky eating pie-hole and start moving that small continent you call an ass!

(hhhmmm, Could be a book title?)

mtbr member

You guys rock!

Thanks for all the support! I'm sitting here in the office watching my co-workers order lunch out from some fast food place and I'm enjoying my celery and "sandwich" less the bread. It's amazing how much better I feel when I eat right...and how much less it takes to feel "full".

I agree on the pain thing: I still crave bad foods, and working out is hard. BUT I feel so good when I'm done it overshadows the pain. I know that I'm making myself healthier and happier and that keeps me going.

Lifestyle changes are hard, but it's going to be worth it when I'm up riding and having fun!

BelaySlave: give me till mid-April and I'll take you up on the foothills offer! We're not slow...we just like to enjoy the view!

Aug 2004
    BelaySlave: give me till mid-April and I'll take you up on the foothills offer! We're not slow...we just like to enjoy the view!
    I've been sick for the past couple of weeks so I've lost whatever little conditioning I did have . If the conditions are good, I may just do the main Dork Loop Thursday after work. You are more than welcome to join me. And I take ALOT of breaks!!!

EDIT

And I went to McDonald's for lunch!!!

mtbr member
    sadly, the advancement of technology indirectly affects the amount of exercise people get. Its really that simple, cars and trains get rid of the amount of exercise. Most young children instead of bikes get electric scooters.
    yet on the other side of the coin the only way to truely make the public "healthy" would be to move back in time 500 years, and this is really not possible. its just something people have to get used to. I also believe it is extremely rude to make fun of those who have an illness or disability(put obesity under whatever catagory you want) and to pass a law would violate the constitution. here is a little something for you to chew on http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060304/...soured_on_soda
    So for now just be glad your one of the healthy ones.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage
    sadly, the advancement of technology indirectly affects the amount of exercise people get. Its really that simple, cars and trains get rid of the amount of exercise. Most young children instead of bikes get electric scooters.
    yet on the other side of the coin the only way to truely make the public "healthy" would be to move back in time 500 years, and this is really not possible. its just something people have to get used to. I also believe it is extremely rude to make fun of those who have an illness or disability(put obesity under whatever catagory you want) and to pass a law would violate the constitution. here is a little something for you to chew on http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060304/...soured_on_soda
    So for now just be glad your one of the healthy ones.
    with the exception of obesity issues, I'd venture a guess that people are way more healthy nowawdays than they ever were in times pass. Childhood mortality, vacinncations, death at childbirth, even something as simple as hygiene and dental care has come a very long way.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by holden
    By organic more often and avoid processed foods.

These are must buys for organic: Apples, bell peppers, celery, cherries, imported grapes, nectarines, peaches, pears, potatoes, red raspberries, spinach, and strawberries. Meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy.
    Don't you think the more important factor is that people eat more fresh fruits and vegetables regardless of the processed way they are grown? Perhaps if someone ate an apple, regardless of the GM code and pesticides, every once in a while instead of a McDonalds hot apple pie and/or walked from the far side of the parking lot to buy it might be a better step?

I love the fatasses that order a double whopper and a large fry only to afterwards fill their mega-sized cup with diet Coke.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

hrumphfff..

peeps say that a lot-i don't get it. i swill diet pop like there's no tomorrow. i save prob putting on another 8,000 calories a week by choosing diet. a couple slices of pizza and an order of wings with a diet coke is better than dat with a sugary drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    ....I love the fatasses that order a double whopper and a large fry only to afterwards fill their mega-sized cup with diet Coke.

Feeling a little taller
    peeps say that a lot-i don't get it. i swill diet pop like there's no tomorrow. i save prob putting on another 8,000 calories a week by choosing diet. a couple slices of pizza and an order of wings with a diet coke is better than dat with a sugary drink.
    I don't want to sound all high and mighty but I prefer non-sweetened drinks altogether - iced tea, black coffee and especially water. You might be saving calories by counting it that way but you are putting other potentially harmful chemicals into your body that you don't need either.

Again, though, you are not really the mainstream that this is pointed at as a regular exercise seeker.

Feeling a little taller
    My goal is to be around 150-160 in shape and fit.
    Make that your goal, keep to it and it will be so! I will never laugh at someone who gives it their all.

Just remember, everything takes time. Instituting an exercise regimen as part of a daily lifestyle is a good start. Changing diet is a good start. Just don't get frustrated if it takes a couple of years before you notice a significant change.

I got frustrated a year and a half ago that my weight was over 215 (I'm 5' 11") and started adding a spin class 2 or 3 times a week to my weekly riding. I've been struggling at the 200 mark for the last 4 months and I can tell you that I am soooo frickin hungry after a gym session that I could eat the whole fridge...but I'd love to knock off another 10 lbs to be faster on rides.

Don't worry, be happy!
    i save prob putting on another 8,000 calories a week by choosing diet. a couple slices of pizza and an order of wings with a diet coke is better than dat with a sugary drink.
    I was just reading an article today about how diet pop may actually contribute to obesity. Dang, now I have to think of where that was so I can get the link.

edit: new study out today
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in701408.shtml

why not just drink water?

cyclemaven.net

You might find this interesting

Donate now!
    I'm a roadie this year for AIDS LifeCycle. Find out more by going here:
    http://girlmeetsbike.org

mtbr member

Great point!

Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker

I live in Germany now, after a few years back in the states, and as stated, the regional foods are by no means healthy. But the people ride their bikes, don't hesitate to walk a few blocks to get what they need and essentially burn more calories than they take in. In the states it's about convience, everything is convient, here, it's a bit different. Parking is a problem so people walk move versus driving their cars. Gas is through the roof, so people take public transportation or ride bikes to work, school, etc. As stated above, portion sizes are generally smaller so again you're taking in less calories. As a middle of the road guy (24%body fat not measured by BMI but by a tape based system)
    I'm a big dude, I find myself being bigger than the general populous. It's interesting to see that the small but building obesity problem here in Germany is being blamed primarily on American fast food. It's annoying actually because you can't tell me that the bratwurst with fresh bread and bag of fries with a beer (common lunch) that you get from the local fast food vendor is that much more calorically dense.. but still, some things are quite different, ice cream for example, has much less sugar than in the states... Okay that was an odd rant, but I've had a couple of german beers with dinner.. (small portions of food, larger portions of beer of course)
    29er Fan!

Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    I was just reading an article today about how diet pop may actually contribute to obesity. Dang, now I have to think of where that was so I can get the link.

edit: new study out today
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in701408.shtml

why not just drink water?
    Not to mention some of the chemicals used for artifical sweetners could potentially be very harmful.

Do a web search for "aspartame" lots of scary stuff, research has linked it to possibly causing cancer, converting to formaldahyde in your body, toxity, siezures, and other fun stuff.

mtbr member

Yeh...I think it's pretty funny...

that the same people who say it's "none of your business" what people do to their bodies are usually the same people who want a nationalized health care system funded by the tax dollars of those who stay healthy enough to work and make a living.

understand this my socialist friends...when your socialist government arrives...and it is coming soon...just wait and see how quickly your weight and body fat percentage does become everyones business.

Off to Fat Camp for you comrad!
    :p

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    that the same people who say it's "none of your business" what people do to their bodies are usually the same people who want a nationalized health care system funded by the tax dollars of those who stay healthy enough to work and make a living.
    So tell me..... Where did you get this gem of a fact, or did you make it up?

Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    understand this my socialist friends...when your socialist government arrives...and it is coming soon...just wait and see how quickly your weight and body fat percentage does become everyones business.

Off to Fat Camp for you comrad!
    Interesting. I thought we were moving to despotism. Oh wait....we're there already.

btw...... we already have national health care funded by your tax dollars. It's not called a health care system, but it's there nontheless. If anyone in this country gets sick.... and can't afford medical care.... they show up at an emergency room where they can't be turned down and the cost is super high.

So instead of paying a lower cost for preventative healthcare for everyone.... the poor show up at the emergency rooms in greater numbers and cost the taxpayers even more. Good plan.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Isn't it called denormalizing?

Look what they did to cigarette smoking. It's bad for you and those around you and we as a society are not going to allow you to infringe on our right to breathe smoke free air. Plus we will tax the crap out of your sinful habit. I'm not sure how it went down in the States but that's what happened in Canada. It worked on me.

Now how do we apply that to the war on fat? Sin taxes on junk food? Will you need to sit in the overeaters section tonight? Pay more for plane tickets if your over 210 lbs? How about a surcharge on health care premiums if you're obese (has to be an accurate assesment, of course). It's a disease or a mental health issue so spend some money researching what is effective in treating it and put pressure on them financially and culturally. Say no to fat! People will come around to the idea that change is possible and desirable, won't they?
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Wow thats a new one!

SPAM. Post Reported.

fsp

Feb 2006
    Rachel B... I got all excited there and thought my girl finally got on mtbr... Nice to see ya twinkleface! ...but, but sweetietoes, whyever are you spamming us about diabetes? I'm so confused!

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    interesting thread. Compassion. Passion. Respect. Apathy. Empathy.

I recently dropped 37/38 lbs. That's a good % off my frame. I've always been active: in 2003 I logged in 5K mi on my roadie, 2004 3K and 2005 another 3K....and I'm a mtb'r. I also train in the gym with a trainer 3 times a week for 1hr to 3 hr long sessions. My weight always stayed between 280-310. And I used diets, MetRx, GNC, Atkins, all the diets and they might shave off 10 lbs, they never really worked. I finally found one that did and its based on eating unprocessed foods. My body hates maltodextrin and turns it to fat quicker than you'd imagine. Next time you're sipping a beer, read the lable: maltodextrin. Its in everything: PowerBars, Cliff Bars, MetRx shakes, cereal,... Everything. Anyway, training, dieting, losing weight, they are all highly personal to everyone. So given my experience and lessons learned, I think the comments regarding the fast food society, convenience food-sludge products, are spot on.

Good food is out there, you've just gotta be open to finding it. Why wait 17 min's in a McD's drive thru when you can run into a grocery story/super market and grab a rotiserrie chicken breast and a sm basket of cherry tomatoes for lunch? Even if you MUST go to a drive thru, why not just order a grilled chicken sandwich, toss the (white cake-like bread) and eat the meat + tomato & lettuce. Here's what is the big pay off for me: my family is picking up on my eating habits and eating what I eat now. No, I'm no food nazi. I am a good cook-there's a catering business in the family with my first name attached to it (you do the math), but the food tastes great and I still had beer on St. Patty's Day.

Training takes commitment.
    Most sensible diet here.

Eat good fat, protein, and carbs with a low glysemtic index and you'll be okay.

Starch is the enemy. Our ancestors rarely ate starch. Meat, veggies, and fruit. That is what we are designed to run on.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Most sensible diet here.

Eat good fat, protein, and carbs with a low glysemtic index and you'll be okay.

Starch is the enemy. Our ancestors rarely ate starch. Meat, veggies, and fruit. That is what we are designed to run on.
    You should try his pasta sauce. Mmmm, pasta.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    First of all - how did smoking become sinful? Bad for you - yup, not all that smart - yup, but a sin.

Now to my regularly scheduled rant...

Unlike smokers, unlike alcohol - we all need food.

The right balance of food and exercise is something that is unique to every person. What is easy to someone isn't that easy for me. If someone wants to hire a nutritionalist and a personal chef to make me healthy, tasty meals, I'll come in a lot closer to my 'recommended' weight.

The problem isn't with taxing food, it's with making responsible choices affordable. I can eat at McDonalds for a buck, two if I get fries. It's cheaper to eat bad, than to get a salad. And if I get that salad from McDonalds - it's likely worse than the sandwich and fries. Grocery shopping is the same way - a bag of Doritos can last longer and can be cheaper than the makings for a salad.

To really combat obesity we need a cultural shift, and it will have to start at the youngest elements of our society. I'm very aware of obesity in children, I don't want my kids to have to deal with the stigma, social isolation, harrasment, lack of self esteem, along with all the health problems that come from obesity. It's not easy when every third commercial on TV is for sugary snack bomb cereal, elementary school is cancelling recess because they need extra time for standardized testing, and preschool and elementary school are still pushing the "Clean plate club".

I went through this before, and I'm still fighting against it.

To just punish the adults will be too late. We need to start far sooner.

And as a personal note - I'm 6'0", my BMI ideal puts me at 160-165 range. I was that weight in college, the people around me threatened to take me to the hospital because I was too thin.

I'm 200 pounds which is above that, but I'm healthy at 180-185. Would I still have to pay the 'fat tax', what if I was 3" shorter, 6" shorter?

We need to reward healty choices, not just think about the next revenue stream for local and state governments. They love cigarette smokers - look at all the programs they fund. Are we more interested in getting healty citizens, or funding Joe Senator's new project?

If you really want me to be healthier, and more fit. Mandate a real living wage, give me more time off - both in vacation and in hours per week. Both things that would give me, and my family, a chance to eat healthier and exercise more. Right now both of these things are eroding, and it's all connected.

Rant over.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by 4212darren
    Look what they did to cigarette smoking. It's bad for you and those around you and we as a society are not going to allow you to infringe on our right to breathe smoke free air. Plus we will tax the crap out of your sinful habit. I'm not sure how it went down in the States but that's what happened in Canada. It worked on me.

Now how do we apply that to the war on fat? Sin taxes on junk food? Will you need to sit in the overeaters section tonight? Pay more for plane tickets if your over 210 lbs? How about a surcharge on health care premiums if you're obese (has to be an accurate assesment, of course). It's a disease or a mental health issue so spend some money researching what is effective in treating it and put pressure on them financially and culturally. Say no to fat! People will come around to the idea that change is possible and desirable, won't they?
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Drop the fork and throw out the damn TV.

Slothful bovines.

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    dont feel like reading all this...
    but there are a few exceptions of true obese people (not the 1% BF body builders) being healthy
    http://www.beezodogsplace.com/Pages/...FitandFat.html
    Kona Coiler

Aug 2006
    When I see an obese person I get the heeby jeebies. I can't explain it. Large people, no, tubby people, no, Just the really huge ones that look like they got gout and I get all freaky and can't look at em. I have been eating and seen some whale on Jerry Springer in a bikini and had to throw my dinner away. I wont get into an elevator with an obese person because I am afraid the doors will close and we will fall to our deaths. Plus if we fell I may accidentally slide under the person and get squashed. Don't get me wrong or tell me I am a selfish human being. I can't help it, it's like a phobia. I was watching a medical show where someone had to have surgery and get a remote control (that's right, a tv remote)removed because it got into a fold and the skin grew around it. OMG I wasn't right for like a week. I have to say though that people who want to lose weight have to start exercising. Even the diet commercials say "With diet and EXERCISE". Like I said it is just the gouty looking ones and it is something I can't help. I don't make fun of them or anything like that. I just get weird all over when I see them.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by EscourtU
    When I see an obese person I get the heeby jeebies. I can't explain it. Large people, no, tubby people, no, Just the really huge ones that look like they got gout and I get all freaky and can't look at em. I have been eating and seen some whale on Jerry Springer in a bikini and had to throw my dinner away. I wont get into an elevator with an obese person because I am afraid the doors will close and we will fall to our deaths. Plus if we fell I may accidentally slide under the person and get squashed. Don't get me wrong or tell me I am a selfish human being. I can't help it, it's like a phobia. I was watching a medical show where someone had to have surgery and get a remote control (that's right, a tv remote)removed because it got into a fold and the skin grew around it. OMG I wasn't right for like a week. I have to say though that people who want to lose weight have to start exercising. Even the diet commercials say "With diet and EXERCISE". Like I said it is just the gouty looking ones and it is something I can't help. I don't make fun of them or anything like that. I just get weird all over when I see them.
    I don't know how large you have to be to get gout but most of the people that I know who suffer from it aren't huge - just mildly large.

Sep 2004
    You don't have to be large at all. My Pop had it and he was only a little overweight (he was also 80). My b/f's father has it and he's not overweight either. Spare tire chubbiness is all he's got.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Fast Food Nation in Effect!

X-Box your life away!
    It wasn't me

Aug 2006
    I know what gout is. Maybe I should have said an extreme case of gout not the mild ones. Ya know fat hanging down to your knees and liggling like it is full of water and plumb full of cellulite that looks like cottage cheese. I never said only really huge people get gout. It was just to help people understand that it's the really huge people that bothers me. Not just regular fat people. this is almost turning into a "Go eat your food but don't forget to chew" kind of thing where you have to be really specific. Or maybe I should type r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by EscourtU
    I know what gout is. Maybe I should have said an extreme case of gout not the mild ones. Ya know fat hanging down to your knees and liggling like it is full of water and plumb full of cellulite that looks like cottage cheese. I never said only really huge people get gout. It was just to help people understand that it's the really huge people that bothers me. Not just regular fat people. this is almost turning into a "Go eat your food but don't forget to chew" kind of thing where you have to be really specific. Or maybe I should type r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w.
    I suppose the flaw in my earlier rhetoric could have been that I don't associate with large people for the most part. I'm also moderately disgusted by the presence of large people.

I'm REALLY disgusted by the ones that order the Mc Mega meal and then get the x-large diet soda...like that's going to offset the 2000 calories of the x-large fries and double mayo they put on their 3/4lb burger.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    1) I really think that food advertising should be limited similar to the ways that alcohol and tobacco advertising is limited. Food advertising in general, because I've never noticed much in the way of mainstream advertising for any kind of healthy food, while there is all kinds of seductive advertising for fast food etc.

2) it just amazes me that most of my coworkers have essentially no interest in going outside. I work in San Francisco. Most of my coworkers ages range from mid 20's to mid 30's. We have had amazing weather lately, so many opportunities to go outside and do something... and nobody seems interested. I don't understand it.

mtbr member
    All you pontificators should do a little looking around on your next grocery run. Consider the fact that the majority of americans are on fixed incomes with respect to food budgets. Try feeding 5-6 people on minimum wage x2 (if they're lucky) incomes. Do the math then price those lean cuts of meats, fresh veggies. Now go to the aisle w/spam, processed chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, etc and compare the price. Compare milk & fresh juice prices to store brand soda.

I don't know of, nor do I propose, some great solution to the obesity crisis in this country. Just would like to suggest to the high & mighty that it's damn tough for MANY americans to successfully afford proper nutrition for their families. That's a HUGE chunk of the problem nobody likes to address. It's easy to point the finger from your $5000 bike ain't it.

Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by texacajun
    All you pontificators should do a little looking around on your next grocery run. Consider the fact that the majority of americans are on fixed incomes with respect to food budgets. Try feeding 5-6 people on minimum wage x2 (if they're lucky) incomes. Do the math then price those lean cuts of meats, fresh veggies. Now go to the aisle w/spam, processed chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, etc and compare the price. Compare milk & fresh juice prices to store brand soda.

I don't know of, nor do I propose, some great solution to the obesity crisis in this country. Just would like to suggest to the high & mighty that it's damn tough for MANY americans to successfully afford proper nutrition for their families. That's a HUGE chunk of the problem nobody likes to address. It's easy to point the finger from your $5000 bike ain't it.
    Ya but alot of those people drink, do drugs and smoke cigs.
    Two incomes of minimum wage, they're going to get state and fed help, the extra money they get they blow on things they dont need and makes then more unheathly.

I hear ya though, the cheaper stuff is usually the "bad" stuff but then again, thats only if you're looking to eat the same portition sizes as before.
    If those same people made a lifestyle change to "shrink their stomache" it wouldn't be as bad moneywise.

Exaggerated member
    Thanks for all the support! I'm sitting here in the office watching my co-workers order lunch out from some fast food place and I'm enjoying my celery and "sandwich" less the bread. It's amazing how much better I feel when I eat right...and how much less it takes to feel "full".

I agree on the pain thing: I still crave bad foods, and working out is hard. BUT I feel so good when I'm done it overshadows the pain. I know that I'm making myself healthier and happier and that keeps me going.

Lifestyle changes are hard, but it's going to be worth it when I'm up riding and having fun!

Great thread and really interesting. IDdirtgirl, I reckon it's all a question of balance. Balance in what you eat and how you spend your time. Instead of sitting down and watching a DVD with popcorn on the couch, go out for a ride or a walk (if the weather conditions permit). Try and be active instead of passive. Walk or ride your bike down to the local shops if you need to buy one or two small things instead of driving. Extra incentive to ride if it's a struggle to find parking spaces or traffic is a bit congested. Riding a bike just cuts through all that. I always laugh when I ride to the local shops and I can just cut through a traffic jam and get ahead of 12 cars while the drivers are fuming in their little air conditioned cells due to a traffic hold up. Such a sense of freedom is awesome!

Fresh fruit and vegetables are definitely one of the ways to go, fibre plus the water content in that fruit. Like one of the other posters mentioned regular drinks of water and cut back on the coffee if you are a coffee drinker. Make it one or two cups of really good coffee per day (plunger brew or real espresso machine) rather six cups of crappy instant coffee. Maybe have a cup of tea as an alternative.

I don't think I'd go down the diet path initially, try and achieve some balance in what you eat and monitor the changes over 2 months. Although I had a friend who went to a Weight Watchers course and lost about 15-20kg and it was the peer support ethos that helped her achieve her goal weight.

I haven't been overweight but I have been in a position where I wasn't that fit. I actually suffered an extended period of depression from 2001-early 2005 and really withdrew from the world. Of course my mountain bike riding suffered as a consequence (I was probably riding once a week at the most) until I made a decision to kick myself back into shape at the start of 2005. I had a false start where I was riding for 2 weeks and struggling then stopped. 3 weeks later I started again with the aim to ride 3-4 times week. 3 times per week was the minimum and I struggled for the first two weeks but in the third week I noticed an improvement, just in my pedalling rhythm, how I was breathing and how my body was responding on climbs. At the end of the fourth week I would say I was starting to feel in a similar condition to when my riding became sporadic in 2001. I had a basic loop ride that I monitored my riding time over and I noticed a reduction of about 10 minutes over that 4 week period as my fitness improved. It had helped that I had ridden a fair amount prior to 2001 as well. Funnily enough life started to improve too, all those endorphins rushing around as the effects of regular exercise kicked in gave a huge improvement in well being. Depression is still a work in progress, I haven't transcended it yet but I don't let it consume me like I did, and a good ride always makes me feel better.

So, yes that initial step into an exercise regime will be hard but once you get into a rhythm it's bloody hard to stop because you're enjoying it and your body loves it too. Those endorphins start moving and you lose the pain sensation and you'll just feel better overall. You actually notice it when you stop for a week for example and you feel a little odd, like something is missing. You notice it in little things, walking faster up a flight of steps and not feeling breathless at the top, or a faster walking pace just as you go about life on day to day basis.
    Alex

mtbr member
    with a diet coke is better than dat with a sugary drink.
    Totally OT, I love OJ, there is nothing better then a glass of really fresh squeezed orange juice with breakfast. I know there is lots of sugar, but it is so dman good. However, whenever we visit the wifes family, they insist on having Diet coke for breakfast, what the [email protected] is up with that, it drives me insane, and they never have OJ in the house, I have to bring my own.
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

sometime for breakfsat..

at times for breakfast I'll have a glass of pink grapefruit juice then some diet cokes...

Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    Totally OT, I love OJ, there is nothing better then a glass of really fresh squeezed orange juice with breakfast. I know there is lots of sugar, but it is so dman good. However, whenever we visit the wifes family, they insist on having Diet coke for breakfast, what the [email protected] is up with that, it drives me insane, and they never have OJ in the house, I have to bring my own.

mtbr member
    Eat Healthy and organic, put one of these in your freezer. Less fat than a skinless chicken breast and you expend a lot of energy getting it home.

Now this ought to open up a can of worms

BeanMan

Glad to Be Alive
    Despite pulling 200+/- pounds of angry rider and bike in addition to my 172 total (why is it the guy with the 24 pound bike always has to pull the guy with the 17 pound one?), I felt like the lucky one.

Have a nice ride today if at all possible, folks.

I walked my bike home 2 miles without a pull and it was one of my better days......I was just glad I was in the mountains........good attitude
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Eat Healthy and organic, put one of these in your freezer. Less fat than a skinless chicken breast and you expend a lot of energy getting it home.

Now this ought to open up a can of worms

BeanMan
    Female elk?

No can of worms here, hunting for our food is older then the idea of the wheel.

Plants and animals must die for humans to live, sounds pretty straight forward to me.

May 2005
    As has been said, it is very easy to gain weight. Most people do two things A) underestimate the amount of calories in food, and B) overestimate their daily activity. That was my problem. I was never a huge eater, nor would I eat things like pizza or cheeseburgers everyday. I knew enough to limit that sort of food, but when I'd go to a restaurant and order a dish I wouldn't think that what I was ordering had that many calories/fat. As a result of that got quite big. At least for me, my 310lbs was concealed somewhat by my height (6'5").

In Aug '04 I finally got a handle on my eating and decided to get in shape to race my mtn bike. As of today I'm 185lbs. Having been at both ends of the spectrum, I can tell you that fat people get treated MUCH differently than skinny folks. I didn't see it (or chose to ignore it) when I was big, but these days it is easy to see how different I am treated/looked upon.

The biggest tragedy of obesity in America is the kids. They have a fast metabolism on their side, but they spend so much of their time sitting on the sofa playing games... as they get older and life starts pulling at them and they keep the same eating habits. Even the skinny kids will balloon up in time. My cousin has a 8yr old boy, and he lives and breathes for his Playstation/Nintendo/Xbox 360(yep, he has all of them!). He'd rather play games than do anything. He's currently not a big eater, although what he does eat is terrible; french fries, macaroni & cheese, etc. When his eating catches up to his sedentary lifestyle he's gonna get big in a hurry. It's sad.

Wow, I really covered all the bases there, didn't I?

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliusCecil
    Good for you. I wish you the best. Few things provide a feeling of empowerment like gaining control of your health. I struggled with my weight as a youth, and fought through so much bad information from commercial gimmicks to that "food pyramid". I read every book on health, diet, training etc, that I could. Most had at least something to offer, but none of them had all the answers. That's for us to figure out on our own, as we are all different inside. It's not fat people themselves who sicken me, rather, the path that led them there. I've never not been fat in my mind. That's the scar many of us live with afterward.
    I liked this last post. I went from size 44 waist to size 36 mostly through mountain biking. To anyone still wondering how this works, it takes 3500 calories to burn a pound of human body fat. 600 calories for an hour of mountain biking. http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/activity/1.html
    6 hours of mountain biking to burn a pound. Want to lose 50 pounds? 300 hours of mountain biking. Biking 3 times a week 2 hours a ride without fail for 50 weeks will make you lose 50 pounds, but only if you don't go over the right amount of calories for you http://www.calorie-count.com/calorie...ies-burned.php
    ( choose "sedentary" )
    Want to do it in 25 weeks? Then you have to eat 500 calories less per day than that. I figured this out on my own, and was successful. But if I had to do it all over again I would have just gone to the "pros" like weight watchers or a personal trainer because it would have been a whole lot easier.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    there is a sweet program called diet power 4 that has a built in food calorie library and an exercise/activity to calories burned log. Just enter your weight every few days, enter what you ate evry day and the activities you did. You can even play with the numbers to see what yiou can or should not eat. Totally awesome at tracking all this and wil help you stay motivated o lose weight quickly.

Sad--I wasnt quite motivated to pay the 50 bucks to getpast the 30 day trial---but now there are several on line programs I want--georobo, and flickr upgrade--so dependent upon how large the seasonal company bonus is...

Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    I liked this last post. I went from size 44 waist to size 36 mostly through mountain biking. To anyone still wondering how this works, it takes 3500 calories to burn a pound of human body fat. 600 calories for an hour of mountain biking. http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/activity/1.html
    6 hours of mountain biking to burn a pound. Want to lose 50 pounds? 300 hours of mountain biking. Biking 3 times a week 2 hours a ride without fail for 50 weeks will make you lose 50 pounds, but only if you don't go over the right amount of calories for you http://www.calorie-count.com/calorie...ies-burned.php
    ( choose "sedentary" )
    Want to do it in 25 weeks? Then you have to eat 500 calories less per day than that. I figured this out on my own, and was successful. But if I had to do it all over again I would have just gone to the "pros" like weight watchers or a personal trainer because it would have been a whole lot easier.

Catholic MTBR
    Mar 2005
    Obesity seems to be very genetic. In my family, if you eat like a pig and never exercise, you'll grow some love handles and maybe a little gut. In other families, they go for walks and eat healthy and they're all enormously fat. I remember girls in college eating very small portions and exercising every day and although I would see a little improvement, they always stayed a bit "tubby." Overcoming the waistline is, for some people, extremely easy, and for others, extremely difficult. I'm not sure what family history or genetics or self esteem issues or what is going on with many obese people but I hope and pray that they would find/have purpose and happiness in their lives. I'm blessed in that I LOVE pushing myself hard and climbing the biggest hills I can climb but I'm lucky in that I found a great hobby. If mountain biking weren't fun, I'd probably still be sitting around playing video games and reading online forums most of the day.
    Main Ride: Vassago Jabberwocky w/ODIS rigid fork. Rigid, SS, 29er.
    "Be not afraid." -Pope John Paul II

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeCatholic
    I remember girls in college eating very small portions and exercising every day and although I would see a little improvement, they always stayed a bit "tubby." Overcoming the waistline is, for some people, extremely easy, and for others, extremely difficult.
    I guess this is true in some cases. I have some obese relatives, and I must say that their diets are horrendous - fatty fried foods, with even fattier, sicky sweet desserts on a regular basis. Most of them shun anything that is green in color. The sad thing is that their kids are the same way. Exercise is very difficult for obese people. There is simply too much weight to comfortably carry, and it is very difficult on the joints.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerSHO
    Ya but alot of those people drink, do drugs and smoke cigs.
    Two incomes of minimum wage, they're going to get state and fed help, the extra money they get they blow on things they dont need and makes then more unheathly.

I hear ya though, the cheaper stuff is usually the "bad" stuff but then again, thats only if you're looking to eat the same portition sizes as before.
    If those same people made a lifestyle change to "shrink their stomache" it wouldn't be as bad moneywise.
    Even for a middle-income family with kids (not necessarily the Trailer-Parker family you might be describing above), it's cheaper to eat from the Value Menu than to buy and cook fresh meats, fruits, and veggies. Plus the cheap fried foods taste good (usually). It's also a lot easier too. Anyone who has had to cook for and clean up after little kids knows what I'm talking about. Money is tight for people even on an average, not low, income. That's why it's tempting to so many people.

It seems the cheapest groceries are the bulge-inducing high-glycemic index items such as pasta and rice. $0.99 for a pound of spaghetti versus $10.99 for a piece of fresh salmon for instance. Mac & cheese at 3-for-a-dollar versus $10 worth of fresh veggies that might spoil before it gets eaten. It can be tough to make good food choices without breaking the bank. I swear, sometimes I buy groceries for a nutritious, healthy, dinner and the bill comes out to $20 or more for one meal. Then I think to myself, "I should've just gotten take-out." But we have to do it.

Sooner or later someone mentions buying from Whole Foods or some other co-op type place, but that's an impractical solution when you're talking about feeding 300,000,000 people.

The biggest problem for me personally is controlling portion size. I'm told that the proper quantity of food for one meal is the size of a man's fist. I tend to eat the size of a catcher's mitt.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    And as a personal note - I'm 6'0", my BMI ideal puts me at 160-165 range. I was that weight in college, the people around me threatened to take me to the hospital because I was too thin.

I'm 200 pounds which is above that, but I'm healthy at 180-185.
    Hey, my BMI table says 180 is healthy for you..

Love, Impy

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Depnds on witch version you look at for that table. There are some (the ones that I saw) that had a much narrower range, the starting points were all pretty much the same, but didn't give that much flexibility.

mZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Members who have read this thread: 3