lidless ascender

the excitement of a new trail

We seem to be blessed with living in a place where after years of riding local trails you can still ride a new one from time to time.This weekend was one of those days.We did know of this trail before, just never had the right guide with us or the directions that were detailed enough.And since there is another flowy and superfast strip of singletrack leading to the bottom, we never felt at much of a loss for not finding this "eluding" trail.
    Since we were pressed for time (we had a picnic to attend to in the afternoon ) we took the direct route to he top in the shape of an at times impossibly steep concrete/gravel forest road instead of the longer off-road option.Beautiful views (and helping bring a lost cow back to the pasture ) helped take our minds off the tenacity of the climb and we reached the highest point of the ride 3500 ft higher in about two hours.
    From then on we did a nice picturesque traverse, had a bit of a power play with three over-eager young bulls and after a quick snack finally dropped towards the bottom."Dropped" being quite a literate description of the descent as the trail went directly down the slope.It was really fun trying to stay in control while winding through the trees on the trail still moist from the previous days' rain.The trail leveled out a bit in the last half and gave our brakes a break as we descended into Zatolmin with smiles spanning ear to ear.

And now for something completely different: the pics

The rest is HERE

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

Des(s)ert Rat
    Looking quite Alps-like. Where were these photos taken? Very beautiful, thank you.

lidless ascender
    Yup, you're right on the Alps-like comment.Southeast part to be exact.Mountains around Tolmin, Slovenia.
    The pics look a bit crappy I'm affraid.Applied too much compression.It happens.

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Very nice

Wow, this really is "mountain" biking. Great shots. Love the bovine element. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The car looks like old Soviet Lada.

mtbr member
    Sweet pics!

one more time
    Oct 2005
    Great pics. You guys are spoilt!

Dont mean to be a smart ass but its a good idea to keep those helmets on.
    Bikes, beer and pizza.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    awesome pics! very jealous.

benzology i was thinking the same thing to be honest!
    Ride hard or go home!

08 Specialized Myka Expert

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by benzology
    Great pics. You guys are spoilt!

Dont mean to be a smart ass but its a good idea to keep those helmets on.
    We always wear helmets on descents, don't worry.I for one never wear it on the uphills though, at least not on technically unchallenging ones.Not much chance to fall off really.Ok, maybe from going too slow But I agree, we could've put our helmets on for that traverse but we were so busy finding the trail we all forgot about it I guess.Not that they were actually needed since we were going real slow and up most of the time, but you never know.

@poff: That's right, that's a Lada Niva.You can still see lots of them up in the hills since it's a very capable and low maintenance means of transportation.

Marko

Pictography

amar la vida de dos niner
    Oooh, such pretty scenery! Very nice, problematiks!

I like the composition of this one a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by problematiks

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    Oooh, such pretty scenery! Very nice, problematiks!

I like the composition of this one a lot.
    One of my favourites, too.

Btw, you seem to like biker silhouettes against a nice scenery type of pics

Marko

Pictography

All-most Mountain
    very cool

HTFU and Ride
    why must michigan be so blasted flat?
    Winter is coming.

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by coachjon
    why must michigan be so blasted flat?
    So you have a good excuse to take your bike and visit other places

Marko

Pictography

mtbr member
    We always wear helmets on descents, don't worry.I for one never wear it on the uphills though, at least not on technically unchallenging ones.Not much chance to fall off really.Ok, maybe from going too slow But I agree, we could've put our helmets on for that traverse but we were so busy finding the trail we all forgot about it I guess.Not that they were actually needed since we were going real slow and up most of the time, but you never know.

@poff: That's right, that's a Lada Niva.You can still see lots of them up in the hills since it's a very capable and low maintenance means of transportation.

Marko
    Cause everyone knows that it is only possible to crash while going downhill.....
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    Cause everyone knows that it is only possible to crash while going downhill.....
    Seems to me you want to tell me something
    Anyhoo, to each his/her own.I tend to be stable enough on my bike to not crash going up 10ft wide roads (knock on wood) and since I sweat more than enough without a helmet, I choose to have it on my backpack on those occasions.If the going gets rough and/or the trail narrows and becomes exposed, I put the helmet on.As simple as that

Marko

P.S: By the way, you could also argue a simple XC style helmet and gloves are not nearly enough on the downhills.Might as well carry body armour and a full face along, right?Well, some people do, some people don't, it all comes down to their own judgement and comfort levels.

Pictography

Just roll it......
    Awesome thread, Marko. Looking forward to more beautiful Slovenian mountain shots this season.

BTW, you're not the only one that doesn't climb with a helmet on.

Cheers,
    EB

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Awesome thread, Marko. Looking forward to more beautiful Slovenian mountain shots this season.

BTW, you're not the only one that doesn't climb with a helmet on.

Cheers,
    EB
    Thanks.Looking forward to more beautiful shots from your neck of the woods, too We'll have to go check it out in person sometime though.Just need to find enough time.

Marko

Pictography

amar la vida de dos niner
    Btw, you seem to like biker silhouettes against a nice scenery type of pics
    Hmm, you could be on to something...

And now for my mother routine: you guys should reconsider your approach to helmets. Some of the worst crashes I've witnessed were in spots that would qualify as no-helmet-required for you. There's just no way to second-guess that sort of thing.

Of course, my concern is actually purely selfish. You know I love your posts and the places you guys go, so don't go getting damaged!
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    Hmm, you could be on to something...

And now for my mother routine: you guys should reconsider your approach to helmets. Some of the worst crashes I've witnessed were in spots that would qualify as no-helmet-required for you. There's just no way to second-guess that sort of thing.

Of course, my concern is actually purely selfish. You know I love your posts and the places you guys go, so don't go getting damaged!
    Hmmm, I feel I must clear things up a bit here
    As far as I understand things, the debate around wearing helmets started mainly because of us riding helmetless from THIS POINT on.We wear helmets on this type of terrain.But as I said, we were searching for the trail in question at the time (and were going slow because of it anyway) and some kind of collective amnesia set in which made us all forget putting our helmets on.It happens, what can you do...
    And besides, after a long research spanning from early years I came to a definitive conclusion that my head is actually the hardest part of my body (both figurativelly and literally ) so my helmet would actually be put to better use if it protected another part of my body.My left knee, for example
    No worries, I like my head the way it is, and I really don't need convincing wearing a helmet is a good idea.I wear it, just not on non technical climbs.Mainly because I haven't figured out how to crash (and hard at that) on a 10-12ft wide fireroad going 3-5mph Never heard of someone managing it either.
    So, the way things are going, I'll badger you guys with pics of riding in crappy places for a long time to come

Marko

Pictography

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Stunning scenery. What's her name?

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt
    Stunning scenery. What's her name?
    Who's name?

Marko

Pictography

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Who's name?

Marko

lidless ascender
    Heh heh, beats me.She's one nosy cow though.Maybe she was a mountain biker in her previous life and wanted to get up to date with bike technology

Marko

Pictography

Members who have read this thread: 0