since 4/10/2009

E. TX easy ride in the heat

I didn't get up as early as I had hoped, which meant that in order to get a ride in, I'd have to take it easy. It was 90+ outside at the time, but maybe just 91 or so max, and I started just after 1pm. I rode out from my apartment and got to the trail in a mile or less. Mmmm, happiness.

I rode the Lanana Creek Trail in Nacogdoches. It's got a varied surface...anywhere from paved to dirt with roots and rocks. Most of it is pretty easy, with only two techy spots and no significant elevation change...exactly what I needed, as I'm used to summer temps in the mid 80's max, and right now, my former residence (Pittsburgh) is still in the 70's.

The riding was good. As long as I kept moving, and only stopped in the shade, I stayed comfortable. I rode right about 8 miles, too, which wasn't bad. At the end, riding through the more developed areas with less shade, it got pretty uncomfortable, but after a cold shower I was feeling good again.

I saw very few people out at all. One or two dog walkers and a few folks playing frisbee golf in Pecan Park and that was it. I really wanted to ride the more mtb-oriented Raiders' Trails nearby (a short detour from the trail I rode), but with the heat, I was not up for more strenuous riding yet. Next time I'll get out earlier and beat the heat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 1