Don't buy these cranks!!!- Mtbr.com
    High Speed Botanist

No good Don't buy these cranks!!!

These cranks will break and are HAVE NO WARRANTY from Azonic!! The cranks are made by FSA. I bought them from Cambria three months ago. They are still selling them, for cheap of course, cause they suck and have no warranty because they are years old. All Cambria is willing to do so far is sell me another pair of cranks at their cost. Woohoo, 40$ off 200$ cranks. This is like buying a watch from the guy on the corner. Shame on you Cambria Bike Oufitters!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

High Speed Botanist

notes...

They are carbon wrapped around an alluminum shaft. What you see in the photo is the carbon broken away from the alluminum. The whole are where the pedal screws in wabbles in and out. Arghhhh. The other one has not broken yet. I ride rough XC, no big drops.

Aug 2004
    Lame - thanks for the heads up. I have bought stuff from CBO before, but have had extremely good exp. with Jenson. Good call posting it here, nothing can keep a retailer honest like knowing that their livelyhood 6 months from now may depend on their willingness to take care of customers today.

Personally I try to steer clear of the bling cranks, I've heard many horror stories about them.

High Speed Botanist

Cambria's been good to me before...

but they don't seem to care too much about this deal. They'll actually loose money on it, and that's the hangup for them. I'm going to hassle them again; personally i beleive they owe me a store credit for the $120 i paid for these. They are knowingly selling a product that has NO WARRANTY. When i spoke with Azonic they could barely believe these cranks were being sold; that's why no warranty. Breathe deep......

Aug 2004
    The thing that gets me about situations like this is that they have to be perfectly aware that their customers are online - after all, they are an internet based business (for the most part), this means that a disgruntled customer, like yourself, can cost their company substantially more money in conversations online (even if he does not mean to do so) than simply replacing the item would.

I'm sure that there are horror stories about companies like Jenson, but by and large I have heard nothing but good things about them - and I think that this is a direct result of their appreciation of the value of customer care - they might lose some battles, but they win the war in the long run.

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    The thing that gets me about situations like this is that they have to be perfectly aware that their customers are online - after all, they are an internet based business (for the most part), this means that a disgruntled customer, like yourself, can cost their company substantially more money in conversations online (even if he does not mean to do so) than simply replacing the item would.

I'm sure that there are horror stories about companies like Jenson, but by and large I have heard nothing but good things about them - and I think that this is a direct result of their appreciation of the value of customer care - they might lose some battles, but they win the war in the long run.
    Yeah I have nothing but good things to say about jenson usa, but price point is starting to give me second thoughts.
    Dave

Just win baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrek4500
    Yeah I have nothing but good things to say about jenson usa, but price point is starting to give me second thoughts.
    Dave
    Could you please elaborate? I use Pricepoint quite a bit and I have had very good luck with them... so far.

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by X-rider
    Could you please elaborate? I use Pricepoint quite a bit and I have had very good luck with them... so far.
    Well About a month ago I ordered a wheelset for my new turner, and back then I didn't have the frame yet, so the wheelset just sat in my basement. Then the day came when I was building up the bike and I opened up the wheelset and first I noticed that the rear wheel had some nics and scratches on it, and I decided not to be a arse and make them give me new ones, because they are mountain bike wheels after all and they are going to get scratched. Then first I found the front wheel screwer but then I couldn't find the rear one. So I called the cs on Monday(a week and a half ago) because it was Sunday when I found this out, and they said they would send me a replacement at no charge. Then I waited a week and no screwer. So the first time I called them up about this, I got their voice mail, because all the lines were busy. So I left a message with all the things they tould you to leave on it, and I waited the whole day and no call. So I called back today, and it turnes out they never sent one out for me. So they said they would send one out right away. I will just have to wait and see if they actually send one to me this time. But I will still order from them because they have great prices. Thanks for listening to me talk. Btw for now on I am checking all my packages when I get them.
    Dave

Tig
    I ride, therefore I am.
    I've been tempted by carbon cranks but have stayed away. Your misfortune reinforces my decision. I'm sorry you had to go through this without a warranty to rely on. No, not all carbon products are bad, but I think some things are better off aluminum if durability is a concern.

When I wrenched at an LBS, we saw several different carbon cranks suffer damage. Most had rub marks from rubbing shoes that wore away the outer resin and in some cases, exposed a few fibers (very bad!). One (road) crank had damage at the end where it ground against cement during a crash. I've also seen carbon seat stays on 5 different '04 Merckx "Race" frames delaminate from the owners not cleaning their sweat.

I like the mixed matrix carbon that Campy started using last year on their cranks. It survives damage without significant weakening much better than woven carbon fiber.

I'm not anti-carbon, but for now some parts are better off when made from different materials. I have a Giant TCR Comp carbon road frame, Bontrager seat posts on both road and XC, and FSA carbon bars on the XC. I just can't bring myself to using carbon cranks since I now know they won't last very long compared to aluminum.

The early bird gets the worm,
    but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Mar 2004

Thank You Cambria

Meanwhile, I could not be more happy with the 177.5mm cold-Sugino-forged Ritchey compact cranks I bought for $59 from Cambria awhile back.
    Dude, you bought the wrong cranks.

banned
    Apr 2004

Cheap carbon parts are expensive in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I've been tempted by carbon cranks but have stayed away. Your misfortune reinforces my decision. I'm sorry you had to go through this without a warranty to rely on. No, not all carbon products are bad, but I think some things are better off aluminum if durability is a concern.

When I wrenched at an LBS, we saw several different carbon cranks suffer damage. Most had rub marks from rubbing shoes that wore away the outer resin and in some cases, exposed a few fibers (very bad!). One (road) crank had damage at the end where it ground against cement during a crash. I've also seen carbon seat stays on 5 different '04 Merckx "Race" frames delaminate from the owners not cleaning their sweat.

I like the mixed matrix carbon that Campy started using last year on their cranks. It survives damage without significant weakening much better than woven carbon fiber.

I'm not anti-carbon, but for now some parts are better off when made from different materials. I have a Giant TCR Comp carbon road frame, Bontrager seat posts on both road and XC, and FSA carbon bars on the XC. I just can't bring myself to using carbon cranks since I now know they won't last very long compared to aluminum.
    I learned my carbon lesson in 2000 when my Manitou fork with a carbon crown started creaking loose after my first week of riding, Manitou was good enough to give me their lower line fork with 1 piece aluminum lowers but it still costed me a months worth of lost rides on my brand new 2000 S works FSR.
    I know their are some decent carbon parts out there but in my opinion they are over engineered and over priced compared to componets and frames made out of more traditional (steel, aluminum, Ti) materials.

Tree Hugger
    Hey Lou, Did you break the cranks and your frame on the same ride?? You must be making up for some bad Karma in your past. If you wanna try out my hardtail, I will lend it to you for some riding if it'll fit ya. See ya soon
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Jul 2004

No good overreacting a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by dtrek4500
    Well About a month ago I ordered a wheelset for my new turner, and back then I didn't have the frame yet, so the wheelset just sat in my basement. Then the day came when I was building up the bike and I opened up the wheelset and first I noticed that the rear wheel had some nics and scratches on it, and I decided not to be a arse and make them give me new ones, because they are mountain bike wheels after all and they are going to get scratched. Then first I found the front wheel screwer but then I couldn't find the rear one. So I called the cs on Monday(a week and a half ago) because it was Sunday when I found this out, and they said they would send me a replacement at no charge. Then I waited a week and no screwer. So the first time I called them up about this, I got their voice mail, because all the lines were busy. So I left a message with all the things they tould you to leave on it, and I waited the whole day and no call. So I called back today, and it turnes out they never sent one out for me. So they said they would send one out right away. I will just have to wait and see if they actually send one to me this time. But I will still order from them because they have great prices. Thanks for listening to me talk. Btw for now on I am checking all my packages when I get them.
    Dave
    Flaming PP on this forum over a $5 SKEWER is kinda thin.
    How much did you save over retail $$?
    Why do you think you saved that $$?
    Mostly because these are overstocks or OEM items.
    want perfection?...pay the full retail at your LBS....i'm sure they would have given you that SKEWER no questions asked.
    Also it is always a good idea to check inside the box in the presence of the delivery person before you sign for them.

mtbr member

have you contacted Azonic or FSA?

All Cambria is doing is selling a product for the manufacturer. Typically, the store cannot warranty it, the maker has to. If they have something worked out with the maker that they have the right to warranty any item, then that is one thing. Cambria probably does not have this ability. Plus, they usually buy things like this at closeout prices or they buy items from a bike manufacturer that was going to use the parts as OEM and had things left over. It makes a great deal for you but possibly without a warranty. Your LBS is the same, they warranty it out of their pocket or they call the manufacturer and ask them to warranty it.

I bought some Avid V brakes from Cambria a few years back and they broke while I was installing them (the pin on the back of the brake that does into one of the three holes near the boss). I called Cambria although I knew they were OEM and they said they would warranty them because they broke before I actually used them. If they had not, I would have been out of luck.

As far as PP leaving a skewer out of the box, you have to remember that they ship thousands of packages a week, every now and then, they are going to screw up. Hopefully you will get the skewer soon. I have seen people post here in the past that PP, Cambria, Jenson... sent something nicer than what they had ordered or just an extra part that should have gone in someone elses box. No one ever seems to plan on sending that item back though.

good ol dog dreams
    Apr 2004

Lbs

Just more reasons to support your LBS! Can't say I've never mail ordered before but at that price I'd be very suspicious about carbon cranks. Just my $0.02

Pull my finger

My recent LBS vs Internet story

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMoth
    Just more reasons to support your LBS!
    I ordered a set of Marzocchis online before Christmas, and when they arrived, they were set up for disc brakes (I still run V's), so I figured I'd check at my LBS to see if they carried, or could get, the brake posts to screw into the forks.

"Sorry dude, these forks can only be used with discs, there is no way of setting them up for V-brakes."

It was pretty obvious from just looking at the fork that the two threaded mounts were there to allow brake posts to be installed.

A call to Universal revealed that the posts should have been in the box, but weren't. They apologised, and said they'd get me the posts ASAP. They shipped them Priority Mail, I had them two days later.

Now I don't know if the LBS was just dicking me around because I'd bought the forks elsewhere (I just said I'd got them as a gift, never said anything about ordering online), but I didn't realise the posts should have come with the forks and was expecting to have to drop up to about $15 on them - if the guys there had taken the time to check with Marzocchi, they could have had an easy sale.

Nov 2004

PricePoint.com

I've had only great experiences with Pricepoint.com......got a light system and two long sleeve jerseys (2 for $40!) which are the same quality as the Trek jersey I bought from my LBS for $59 and the REI I bought at their store for the same price.
    I'll let the LBS put stuff together that's out of my range of expertise, but otherwise,... I dig the stuff on the cheap.

Word. I like eggs.
    Last edited by Fat Possum; 01-08-2005 at 07:29 PM.

mtbr member

Another LBS vs internet issue

Went handlebar shopping yesterday. Went to 4 different LBS'. For a decent bar they start at 40.00 and up. I want to support LBS but I can't justify paying that much for a bar when I know I can get one on the internet for a 1/4 of the price.
    I ended up buying a sun ringle riser on the internet for 9.99, and a FSA pig headset for 20.00 brandnew, with shipping it comes just over the price of a decent starting priced bar @ 40.00.
    Can't beat the internet especially Ebay and Pinkbike when you dont have a CC.

Mar 2004

I'll cut you slack....

Quote Originally Posted by lswing
    but they don't seem to care too much about this deal. They'll actually loose money on it, and that's the hangup for them. I'm going to hassle them again; personally i beleive they owe me a store credit for the $120 i paid for these. They are knowingly selling a product that has NO WARRANTY. When i spoke with Azonic they could barely believe these cranks were being sold; that's why no warranty. Breathe deep......

..."beleive" because that's probably a typo, as you spelled it correctly lower down. But once again, someone uses "loose" instead of the correct "lose." That's not a typo, that's a failure of our educational system, carelessness, and/or plain ol' ignorance. "Looser."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    ..."beleive" because that's probably a typo, as you spelled it correctly lower down. But once again, someone uses "loose" instead of the correct "lose." That's not a typo, that's a failure of our educational system, carelessness, and/or plain ol' ignorance. "Looser."
    Why are you $hitting on his spelling for? the thread is about bad cranks not your input on spelling. You're such a fukin poser. If you're trying to follow in Pete's footsteps, trust me you're not doing too good of a job... you're making yourself look like a wannabe Pete...
    Francois, here's another to send to the recycle bin.
    Last edited by wickerman1; 01-08-2005 at 11:50 AM.

High Speed Botanist

It's a bit pitiful....

that somebody would have enough time to ***** and moan about the mispelling of a few words. Yes, i was typing fast. Apparently we now have a spelling nazi here. I'm sure the cranks broke because of my typos. Focus on the point man. I actually can't believe that i'm wasting my time replying, but its just too damn rediculous. Did i spell anything wrong? How's my grammer? Plain and simple, just don't buy these cranks. They are flawed and have no warranty. Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up! I've never had a problem with Cambria or PricePoint before this.

High Speed Botanist
    Quote Originally Posted by mtpisgah
    All Cambria is doing is selling a product for the manufacturer. Typically, the store cannot warranty it, the maker has to. If they have something worked out with the maker that they have the right to warranty any item, then that is one thing. Cambria probably does not have this ability. Plus, they usually buy things like this at closeout prices or they buy items from a bike manufacturer that was going to use the parts as OEM and had things left over. It makes a great deal for you but possibly without a warranty. Your LBS is the same, they warranty it out of their pocket or they call the manufacturer and ask them to warranty it.
    When i spoke with Azonic they were surprised these cranks were still being sold. And quote "we're not going warranty something that we made four or five years ago". Direct from the Azonic sales department. Ask for that warranty folks, you never know.

High Speed Botanist

Dude....

you have got to chill. Yes, i type fast. Are you an unemployed english teacher? Or just have nothing else to do? The point is don't buy these cranks. They have no warranty and are flawed. Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up Stop attacking posts and contribute some worthwhile information or input.

Just win baby!

Dude, what the f*ck? Why do you always have to be so f*ckin obnoxious with everyone?

Are you Zonic's cousin or something? Give it a rest!

By the way, thanks for the info on the cranks Iswing... it might save someone else some grief.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vermont
    want perfection?...pay the full retail at your LBS....i'm sure they would have given you that SKEWER no questions asked.
    Also it is always a good idea to check inside the box in the presence of the delivery person before you sign for them.
    I think the point was that the wheel should have come with the skewer and it didn't. I myself love pricepoint. I've never had a problem. I ordered their sette hrm and it arrived not working properly. I called them and they told me to ship it back to them and include the shipping receipt. They gave me the money back. I don't consider this to be problem because they were quick about fixing it. The bottom line was that the thing didn't work as ordered, just like a wheel won't work without the skewer. How quickly the situation is resolved will determine whether or not the customer is happy. And the customer being happy is ultimalty the true point in a successfull service oriented business. Which is what an online bicycle retailer is all about, just like any retailer. It's not really thin, it's the way it is. I would have been pretty annoyed at the missing skewer. Even so, I would recomend PP and the others I use.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    I checked with 4 LBS's in my area looking for a UST tubless tire. Only one knew what I was even talking about, but didn't carry it. I think I got an IRC mythos XC for 26 or so dollars at pp.
    I like to ride bikes.

Jul 2004

my point.....

Originally Posted by vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24
    I think the point was that the wheel should have come with the skewer and it didn't. I myself love pricepoint. I've never had a problem. I ordered their sette hrm and it arrived not working properly. I called them and they told me to ship it back to them and include the shipping receipt. They gave me the money back. I don't consider this to be problem because they were quick about fixing it. The bottom line was that the thing didn't work as ordered, just like a wheel won't work without the skewer. How quickly the situation is resolved will determine whether or not the customer is happy. And the customer being happy is ultimalty the true point in a successfull service oriented business. Which is what an online bicycle retailer is all about, just like any retailer. It's not really thin, it's the way it is. I would have been pretty annoyed at the missing skewer. Even so, I would recomend PP and the others I use.
    was that he should expect a bargain basement retailer to make mistakes and he shoulda checked the box before too much time went bye. I'm sure they would have handled it better if it was a couple days after delivery when he called instead of weeks later. I am not an English Professor and dont always get my point across the way i would like

this thread is so derailled it time to flush...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Tolkien
    I ordered a set of Marzocchis online before Christmas, and when they arrived, they were set up for disc brakes (I still run V's), so I figured I'd check at my LBS to see if they carried, or could get, the brake posts to screw into the forks.

"Sorry dude, these forks can only be used with discs, there is no way of setting them up for V-brakes."

It was pretty obvious from just looking at the fork that the two threaded mounts were there to allow brake posts to be installed.

A call to Universal revealed that the posts should have been in the box, but weren't. They apologised, and said they'd get me the posts ASAP. They shipped them Priority Mail, I had them two days later.

Now I don't know if the LBS was just dicking me around because I'd bought the forks elsewhere (I just said I'd got them as a gift, never said anything about ordering online), but I didn't realise the posts should have come with the forks and was expecting to have to drop up to about $15 on them - if the guys there had taken the time to check with Marzocchi, they could have had an easy sale.
    Aren't those supposed to be installed? Jim C had a problem with the crown seperating because that.
    Pat T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They are carbon wrapped around an alluminum shaft. What you see in the photo is the carbon broken away from the alluminum. The whole are where the pedal screws in wabbles in and out. Arghhhh. The other one has not broken yet. I ride rough XC, no big drops.
    Did those have a warranty before? I mean 5 years ago when they started selling them? It is lame that they can say ok this warranty is up now because we don't make them any more even though shops are still selling them. Seems to me that if the part had a warranty from a date of purchase back then it still should, why should it matter if you bought them new 3 months ago. I would press the issue, also read the paperwork that came in the box, if there is anything in there about a warranty see if there is a time period.
    Pat T.

self destructive
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat T.Ū
    Aren't those supposed to be installed? Jim C had a problem with the crown seperating because that.
    I believe that the 2003 and up model marzocchi forks had one piece crowns that did not need the studs insatlled unlike my 2002 atom that does.

Jan 2004
    Yep, when we started breaking cranks, these were the first to go. The butt-cheap carbon cranks from the east that were marketed by everyone from FSA, Carbon Lord, Azonic, and a host of other smaller labels failed almost immediately.

Any reputable mfg would work with you on this case. Very sad to hear, especially regarding something potentially as catastophic as crank failure. To leave a dealer in the middle of a warranty issue is to add insult to injury, (luckily not literally)...

mtbr member

You're right.

Quote Originally Posted by boris the blade
    I believe that the 2003 and up model marzocchi forks had one piece crowns that did not need the studs insatlled unlike my 2002 atom that does.
    I have a 2002 Zocchi Z1 wedge and if I take out the vee studs, the lowes can turn from the arch.... so they have to stay in there.

mtbr member
    That's a good point, I always check my bag of crap when I get stuff at the drive through fast food places.
    Last edited by otis24; 01-10-2005 at 12:29 AM. Reason: spelling
    I like to ride bikes.

Old man on a bike

I must be missing something here,

what was the warranty on the product at the time you purchased it? You did verify there was one, right? That's why it's caveat emptor unless specified otherwise. To blame a reseller for not carrying a warranty is a bit much, especially on an old obscure oem part "manufactured" by a brand slapper in the first place. An Azonic carbon crank is pretty much a joke in the first place...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Pull my finger
    Quote Originally Posted by boris the blade
    Ah, OK - I know what Pat is talking about now. Stick has a set of Z1's that have to have the posts in place as they hold the brace on to the lowers.

Mine just have these threaded 'tabs' that the brake posts thread into, there's no structural aspect to them as far as I can tell.

High Speed Botanist

Cambria came through after all...

These cranks will break and are HAVE NO WARRANTY from Azonic!! The cranks are made by FSA. I bought them from Cambria three months ago. They are still selling them, for cheap of course, cause they suck and have no warranty because they are years old. All Cambria is willing to do so far is sell me another pair of cranks at their cost. Woohoo, 40$ off 200$ cranks. This is like buying a watch from the guy on the corner. Shame on you Cambria Bike Oufitters!!!
    Well after all my complaining Cambria Bike Outfitters has given me a complete refund and a great deal on a set of new cranks. Thanks CBO. As mentioned later in this thread, Azonic should really step up and offer a warranty. The cranks are brand new and should be covered as if they were. Cambria is working to resolve the issue with Azonic and hopefully any problems that may come up for owners of these cranks will be resolved. That said, i have a left crank arm that is still good if you happen to have had this same problem. Contact me and i'll ship it to you. Thanks MTBR and for all ya'll who put in positive input!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ... Cranks

I am glad you got them to step up. Money comes too hard to give it away. I buy carbon cranks from CarbonLord (www.carbonlord.com). The warrantee is great and the product is like fine jewelry. My two cents. It is snowing in NJ but I have "stubbed tires" on my Muffin and am ready to go.

Bruce