Dog Breed Recommendations for Biking - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    I have seen a guy with a Husky off leash and riding on a local trail. I am also a Husky owner and mine would be "dog gone" if she was off leash. Especially if she saw any wildlife to chase.
    I ride with my Siberian Husky all the time. I started him of with a real pulling harness and clipped him to my bike with a short leash and a length of bungy cord. Yes in the beginning he would have been to the next county. Now he understands what its all about and he love to run obviously.

I rarely even put the harness on him any more, and he sticks with me. I have had him follow faster riders or riders than took a different route before. Always caught up with him. Lately he might follow a bit or even run up the trail but he has gotten so he turns back to make sure where I am.

The more I run him the better he behaves and sticks around. I have had him go after what I assume was a deer. He ran up a mountain and into the trees I couldn't see what happened I heard a lot of barking and some loud knocking noises. I started to run up the mountain to find him, and about half way up I heard him yelp. As I continued to run up he came blazing past me with his tali tucked. I couldn't find anything wrong with him but I can assume he got the crap kicked out of him. He hasn't chased after anything larger than a squirrel since then and even those I can call him out of it.

He is a machine, he will do 20+ miles and barely be phased. He will chill for an hour or two then he is ready to go again. Especially in weather below 40 and colder. His metabolism changes and he can go forever. Above 60 I have to limit his runs to 15 or less. So this is his time of the year.

I feel you though, huskies can be stubborn and single minded. A husky is going to do what a husky is going to do.

IMG_1056 by mcwoodley, on Flickr
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Best dog for trail riding I have ever had was a ridgeback x greyhound. That dog could run all day even in the summer.

My blue cattledog is not much chop. He gets knocked up to quickly. They bred more for being steady working dogs that fire when needed. Cattledogs are not like collies and kelpies that are constantly on the move.

mtbr member
    Dumb question.... do you stop to give the dog water and if so how often????

Would like to take my dog out on the trails, she is a 6 month old Golden Retriever mixed with a Border Collie and Australian Shepard etc... We took our first bike ride just a few minutes ago in my neighborhood and she loved it!!!! Was only about 1.5 miles but she got up to 17 MPH but liked to go around 13 for the most part. She was just too happy to get out and run with all the cold and snow we have had.

Put a smile on my face, and the dogs too!
    09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er
    16 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -30

ready to ride
    As for water live in Asheville, NC so we are fairly temperate with lots of creeks, trickles, puddles. So my dog stops as he wants to. In cold weather he will go 10+ miles with out stopping or wanting anything. Different breeds are well differnt. I would say stop often and offer them water until you have a good feeling of what they need and want. You can get a collapsible water bowl for next to nothing at your pet store or online. I usually carry it just in case, or if I take routes where I know there is little water for him to self moderate. Just be smart and in tune to you dogs needs. If he looks hot and tired you probably need to stop and offer your friend some water.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Train your dog to drink out of a water bottle, and it will be less hassle than a bowl or such. It took a little doing, but he caught on to drinking from a bottle with some coaxing. Now he loves it. Mine will stop drinking when he's had enough, so he will tell you when he's done. Don't know if they all do that.

ALM
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have just ordered a couple of these. They fit into a water bottle holder on the bike and has tray for dog to drink out of attached to it. I saw a video of it somewhere but cannot locate. I will refill from my camelback when needed.

Gulpy Pet Water Dispenser Portable Dog Water Bowl | Dog Travel Water Bottle

ALM
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    the videos are on website but not the one I originally saw. I ordered the stainless steel model.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info

Looking forward to warm weather and getting the dog out on the trails (and myself).

I like that water dispenser, simple and good idea.

Happy Trails
    09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er
    16 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -30

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My black lab is an amazing trail dog. Going to get him into some snake classes this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    My black lab is an amazing trail dog. Going to get him into some snake classes this year.
    How did you get started riding with him? I have a chocolate lab and I'd love to get into riding with her but I don't know how to start. Once she learned I'm sure she'd be fine but how'd you keep him from running off chasing squirrels/people/other dogs/etc. Pretty well trained to begin with? I feel like she'd get excited and then all bets are off... unfortunately.

mtbr member
    First figure out your dog's strongest motivator, treat, ball, praise, etc. then start with on leash work, heel, stay, move right, and move faster should be enough to get you going. Once you're good off the leash with those you're on your way. Once your dog figures out that when someone's coming that you will ask for them to move right, then when he suddenly moves right without you asking, he's letting you know someone's coming.
    Don't hurt your dog. Even though he/she may or may seem to love it, just like people they have to build up condition for longer rides. Also learn what overheating and dehydration looks like with your breed.
    Round and round we go

No Stranger to danger....
    Theres only one dog in this world that counts, and thats a staffy (staffordshire bull terrier), theres not a box it doesnt tick and they have a heart as big as an elephant.
    Not to mention the most popular dog in Oz according to official numbers.
    LONG LIVE THE STAFFY.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

mtbr member
    Agreed Tone's, Had a Staffy that was the best, such love and fearlessness. No other breed can compare in that regard, but just not a good choice for a trail dog if you wanna see them live a long and healthy life.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    How did you get started riding with him? I have a chocolate lab and I'd love to get into riding with her but I don't know how to start. Once she learned I'm sure she'd be fine but how'd you keep him from running off chasing squirrels/people/other dogs/etc. Pretty well trained to begin with? I feel like she'd get excited and then all bets are off... unfortunately.
    We started with some leash training in the neighborhood. Then did some short trails behind the house on leash. We then moved onto hiking off leash and after he would stay close, we did off leash bike rides in the neighborhood followed by trails. Took 3-4 weeks to get it down.

KulAdventures
    Looking for a dog that can bike with me, only made it to page 3 of this post so far, but has anyone ever tried dobermans? Someone suggested it to me due to their obedience and athleticism.

local trails rider
    Dobermanns need to be trained well. Any experience in training dogs? Also, they have an "image" that may upset people who you meet. I've heard that Dobermanns often show more enthusiasm than intelligence.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

KulAdventures
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Dobermanns need to be trained well. Any experience in training dogs? Also, they have an "image" that may upset people who you meet. I've heard that Dobermanns often show more enthusiasm than intelligence.
    Weird, I heard the opposite... top 5 for intelligence and real easy to train... Ill read up on it some more. Has anyone tried riding with one before?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    Weird, I heard the opposite... top 5 for intelligence and real easy to train... Ill read up on it some more. Has anyone tried riding with one before?
    The BEST dog I've ever known or owned was half Doberman half Border Collie. He was extremely intelligent and loyal. Never leaving my side more than 100' at a time off leash. While riding he took to it without any training. He would stay on trail at all times. If he was in front of me fine, it was always at 20'. If I wanted to pass I would say "watch out buddy" and he would move to the right and I would always pass on the left. If I wanted him up front again I would move to the right and he would pass. Any oncoming trail users loved him and he loved them. Any on leash dogs yanking their owners trying to get to him he would ignore and trot on past. Yes he really was the perfect trail dog and half Doberman. I think that half gave him the traits to stay near me at all times. Unfortunately he passed away in late April at age 15 years 4 months. He last went with me riding at age 13 and still loved it.

He's 10 years old in this photo and he just ran 3 miles. A short break and he was whining to get me moving again.

Dog Breed Recommendations for Biking-image.jpg
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-26-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I like mutts.

Wanna Ride Bikes?
    Jun 2014
    Took one of my Aussies (two years old) on his very first trail ride two days ago, he loved it. I wish I had his stamina and athletic abilities. That dog is amazing.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

saddlemeat
    ^Yesterday (typically) my 15 mo ~BC did a 2 mile dog ride, a 12 mile bike ride, then ran with the jeep for 2 hours in the evening, and wasn't particularly tired. Like you said, amazing athletic abilities. Considering letting her come along on 1-3 day bikepacking trips, I honestly believe she can go farther than I can, even on two track with some gravel thrown in.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    Looking for a dog that can bike with me, only made it to page 3 of this post so far, but has anyone ever tried dobermans? Someone suggested it to me due to their obedience and athleticism.
    I think Dobie's would be fine trail dogs. But they are kind of big and dark colored dogs get hot faster.
    They might intimidate some people off leash as well.

I love my V.
    Dog Breed Recommendations for Biking-img_0597.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Standard poodle....you can thank me later.

saddlemeat
    If you stay under 40 lbs. you will have a dog that will have a longer running life than a heavier dog. My previous ~BC had a 13 year trail career and could still easily do 10 miles at 13, not as fast, but still loved to run. Keep 'em thin... start 'em young.

mtbr member
    Nice V LowPressure, I love riding with ours, I may be biased but I couldn't think of a better riding companion!

saddlemeat
    I ride with a doberman a lot, she is really fast, doesn't stick close at all, and is only five and needing bone surgery. DJ has it backwards in my opinion, those are BC traits not doberman traits. I really like the doberman though, she is quite sweet, and can run forever.

I ride bikes
    Dog Breed Recommendations for Biking-72615.jpgDog Breed Recommendations for Biking-trail-buddies.jpg
    My Vizsla has been a great trail dog. Rides under 15 miles I love taking him because I can pack enough water for the both of us. I have mine trained to always be behind my rear wheel.

Here are some videos of a guy with his vizsla that have been pretty popular.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm5B_pyPd20
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC_7cRWPOdA

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I suggest a chihuahua. If you are like me you can ride faster and further than any dog breed on the planet. So you will end up carrying the dog most of the ride. Lighter would be better than heavy. Larger breeds do not live as long as smaller breeds. At some point (8 years or so depending on health) the dog will be showing its age and cannot keep up with you even on short slow rides. Will you leave it home?
    Do you travel? Many places do not allow dogs. Who will take care of it while you are gone? What about multi-day bikepacking? That requires a whole new set of logistics with a dog, as well as a high degree of canine fitness.

People see ads on tv and utube videos of a happy dog trotting alongside its owner in an outdoor setting, and think it looks wonderful. The reality is different. A dog is a responsibility like any other family member. Having a dog just to ride with is like getting married just for sex, or having children just to show off to friends. Not a good basis for a relationship and is unfair to the dog. Get a dog because you want to add him to your family 24/7, not solely as a riding partner.

I ride bikes
    ^^^
    lol
    I dont think anyone is looking to get a dog solely to ride on the trails and then stick in a kennel. It is totally fine to want a dog that has certain characteristics. I bought my dog because I knew he would be a great hunter, great biker, great guard dog, and super loving with kids and people. Things that I enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not sure if the OP fits your category, but I have to agree with your general point. We have a lot of young people around here who get dogs for the wrong reason. In a county of just over 13,000; we have an inordinate number of dogs literally dumped in the country left to fend for themselves. Luckily we have two organizations in the valley who will take these dogs in, find them a home or foster them.

I've had my Australian Cattle Dog/Black Lab mix now since she was 5 months. She will turn 13 in October. She used to run, ride, and do long multi day hikes. As she aged it became harder and harder for her. She will go for short hikes with me, and she can go XC skiing with me on short trips. Otherwise she does 2 or 3 daily 20 minute walks and she is happy. She is part of our life and living without her will be very hard. Love your dog, they don't live forever. Spend time with them, treat them as family. Because they are. If you want one just because it looks fun, ask a friend if you can borrow their dog.

Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    I suggest a chihuahua. If you are like me you can ride faster and further than any dog breed on the planet. So you will end up carrying the dog most of the ride. Lighter would be better than heavy. Larger breeds do not live as long as smaller breeds. At some point (8 years or so depending on health) the dog will be showing its age and cannot keep up with you even on short slow rides. Will you leave it home?
    Do you travel? Many places do not allow dogs. Who will take care of it while you are gone? What about multi-day bikepacking? That requires a whole new set of logistics with a dog, as well as a high degree of canine fitness.

People see ads on tv and utube videos of a happy dog trotting alongside its owner in an outdoor setting, and think it looks wonderful. The reality is different. A dog is a responsibility like any other family member. Having a dog just to ride with is like getting married just for sex, or having children just to show off to friends. Not a good basis for a relationship and is unfair to the dog. Get a dog because you want to add him to your family 24/7, not solely as a riding partner.

Quote Originally Posted by stgo2019 View Post
    If your considering an Australian Shepherd then you should look into an Australian Cattle Dog (aka. Blue or Red Heeler). I've had two and they are fantastic dogs for active people.
    +1

My Austrailian Cattle dog is the most mellow, calm guy when inside. Super sweet around everyone, spends most days snoozing in my truck at work without complaint. But when I open up the garage and put my bike shoes on....he's ready to go as fast and as long as possible. Used to do 1hr / 10 mile rides with him a couple times a week. He's starting to slow down a bit at 9 years though....can still do the distance/time, but not at the same race pace as before. Still did ~20 miles on the colorado trail a couple months ago and he was fine. Did a 32 mile day once and he powered through....though a good portion of that was hiking a 14er.

My mother has a couple cattle dogs too and rides porcupine rim with them all the time.

mtbr member
    Great pic moefosho, that's one hell of a stick!!

mtbr member
    Thought this video was fitting for this thread:
    Amber the downhill dog - gopro video (official)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 4