mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Do you get to wear the t-shirt if you DNF'D?

I did this brutally hard (for me) race today at Michaux State Forest in PA. At mile marker 23 / bag drop area, it was clear I was not going to make it to mile 30 by the cutoff time (in 20 minutes, no way. 40 mile race). So I dnf'd for the 3rd time in my life.
    Question - do I get to wear the t-shirt they gave us?
    What passes for my logic goes like this - if you sign up for a race but don't do it for whatever reason, you can't wear the t-shirt. If you start the race but quit (but could have gutted it out and finished) - no shirt. Today I busted my arse but did not make the time, like a lot of others. I did not quit.
    What say ye - do I get to wear the shirt or not?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Did they give you the shirt for signing up for the race?Was it meant to be worn only by the finishers?When they give out the shirts before the race,it's not expected that everybody is going to finish.Wear the shirt.

mtb newb
    Apr 2011
    you tried your best, wear the shirt i say

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm liking these responses!
    Hey, the two of you have fewer posts than I do......wonder what some old timers (on this forum) have to say......

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey.I've been here for awhile.Just don't post a lot.I always read posts though.I've been here at MTBR for more than 10 years under 2 names.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's just a t-shirt. Wear it if you want. The only things you shouldn't wear for not finishing are military qualification badges.

My other ride is your mom
    yes....but you better have a good story (blood drawn, catastrophic mechanical......any epic, etc)

Yes, that's fonetic
    If it doesn't say "finisher", wear it even if it says "survivor".

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I do between 4 and 8 events a year. Never DNF or DFL, coupla DNS. I am, largely due to asthma, a toward the back of pack racer usually only averaging slightly better than any "normal" 7 to 10 MPH mtb xc ride for me. At Lance's this weekend I was 40th of 52. This is typical. When there is a shirt given or if I purchase one I wear it. The day I DNF or for sure DFL is the day I might consider not racing again.

Just have fun n wear the shirt.

I am doing a 55 mile ultra hilly road tour on Ft Hood this coming Saturday. I am really thinking I may not finish but...

...it's all fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You have to write "DNF" on the back in big block letters to make it legal. USA Cycling rules, here.

Just kidding. The shirts are for memories, sounds like you got both on your hands. Wear it.

TR
    Angry bunny
    I keep all my t-shirts (DNF, finish or place).
    They make good cleaning rags.

Hey, wait up!
    Wear the shirt

Pimp the race

Ride hard -- heck, train some while you're at it

Go back and kick it in the a## on the next go around.

In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    You can wear it, but you have to wear it inside out

Tossin the salad.
    If I paid an entry fee and if I DNF, heck... I would still wear that hoe!

If anyone asks how was the race, I tell them the story to make a conversation

Token Hillbilly
    You paid your fees, and gave it what you had. No shame there.

I have been training like mad for several months for riding the 50 mile Syllamo's Revenge in a couple of weeks and will likely opt to not finish and stay slow and ride with a buddy who has not been able to train much due to illness and breaking his frame earlier this year. Things happen, but I'll wear my shirt.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wear the shirt!

You entered and did your best. That is a LOT better than a whole bunch of people that were standing around watching!

Green Wrencher
    Wear it, it's motivation to train more and try it again!

When the horse bucks you off, get back on it sir!

mtbr member
    it's just a t-shirt. wear it if you bought it. it's not a leadville buckle.

mtbr member

Yes

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If you tried and gave it all you had the T-shirt is yours if you crashed and got hurt and couldnt finish the t-shirt is yours. If you *****ed and moaned and then dropped out and cried about how hard the course was and how it wasnt fair punch yourself in the face while wearing the t-shirt.

mtbr member
    hell yeah wear it - i tore my acl before a race - they wouldn't give me back my money - so i wear my most expensive t shirt all the time.

meow meow
    im wearing a volcom shirt and nike sb's right now. i dont surf or skate.

its a shirt, its meant to be worn.

mtbr member
    Send it to me. I'll wear it.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I think if you drop behind cut off, wear the shirt. It is a ****ing shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Fragera
    You paid your fees, and gave it what you had. No shame there.

I have been training like mad for several months for riding the 50 mile Syllamo's Revenge in a couple of weeks and will likely opt to not finish and stay slow and ride with a buddy who has not been able to train much due to illness and breaking his frame earlier this year. Things happen, but I'll wear my shirt.
    I have a rule on this, if you have been training like mad. At some point your buddy is going start blowing hard enough that you can warrant taking off. I ran a marathon with a buddy, and stayed with him for the first 18 miles, but then he hit the wall and was mostly walking, so I took off. This was important to me because I had trained another friend for her marathon and by banging out the last few miles, I was still able to beat her time (not by much, mind). Your legs will probably feel pretty good and when you start getting close to the cutoff, go for it.

College Boy
    A DNF is not a did not try.

You tried your best and that is the biggest thing. I have a friend who in series he had 3 DNF in a row. Poor guy. First one a chain snapped on him in the first lap. 2nd one was a short track and first lap has a nasty crash gets pretty badly cut up and top it off a flat tire wiht no spare tube. Not that it mattered he was not to try to finish after that crash. He looked pretty beat up.
    3rd one yet again another equipment failure so a 3rd DNF in a row. If it was not so pathetic it would be funny as hell. Worse part is he takes good care of his equipment and maintains it. Just on race day it seems to be when all hell would brake loose for him that year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    you will have to wear it to mamby pamby land and get some self confidence. I pulled out of Vail 100 at mile 70 a few years back so I can feel your pain. My wife at the time dropped me off in town to sign up and I rode back up to a camping area that ended being 33 mile away in the rain no riding gear no food or water on the night before the race . no good for pre race prep. I still drink coffe out of the cup they handed out to all of us.

Token Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I think if you drop behind cut off, wear the shirt. It is a ****ing shirt.

I have a rule on this, if you have been training like mad. At some point your buddy is going start blowing hard enough that you can warrant taking off. I ran a marathon with a buddy, and stayed with him for the first 18 miles, but then he hit the wall and was mostly walking, so I took off. This was important to me because I had trained another friend for her marathon and by banging out the last few miles, I was still able to beat her time (not by much, mind). Your legs will probably feel pretty good and when you start getting close to the cutoff, go for it.
    That's a good rule. I get to be a good friend, and forgo the lousy DNF.

Duly noted!
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Members who have read this thread: 0