different day, different gulch, different story altogether- Mtbr.com
    ride

different day, different gulch, different story altogether

Yesterday was a great ride. Scrublover, Debaser, and I met up for a fantastic ride in the forest. Elevation was between 7000 and 8500 and the day couldn't have been better. Warm sun and crisp temps made the tough climb up feel good, and the technical descent even better. It seemed as if there was not a cloud in the sky. We figured it would be our last good ride up high on dry dirt for quite a time to come.

I got selfish. I had a narrow window to get out today so I capitalized on it. It was still chilly with a bit of sun down in town so I took off. Flakes of snow were falling ever so seperately when I unloaded my bike from the car, just a few minutes later but 1300' higher up. The skies were gray, but the sun would try to shine thru on occasion. I figured I'd get my ride in, but just barely. I took off.

The climb was fantastic. I won't bore with pics of the initial ride in the gulch. It's the usual Colorado gulch. Rocks, roots, stream crossing, babyheads on dry streambed, etc.

Pic 1 is the climb out of the gulch. The usual applies - steeper than it looks, etc. I still think this one looks pretty steep.

After hiking up the climb in pic 1, I faced a steep, loose, off camber white knuckle descent.

Pic 2 is at the bottom, looking up the very last portion of trail.
    Pic 3 is the stream crossing at the bottom. I got one foot wet. Think mountain streamwater, 7300' elevation, and 35 degree temps. brrr.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

ride

cont...

I rolled along streamside for a bit.

Pic 1 shows the well worn in and overused singletrack typical of the front range.

I left the stream and began the climb out. It was pretty tough. My calf muscles are still sore from all of the hiking. I can't wait to do this ride the other direction. The descent will be unreal. I'd have taken more pictures, but I was having too much fun (and I knew I'd be pushing my time window).

After climbing and hiking what seemed like forever but was only about 1000', I had to call the ride. By this time, it was snowing pretty hard and the temp was down to 25 degrees. I stopped to put on my waterproof jacket and my leg warmers.

Pics 2 and 3 are of that nice wet weather that's hammering the front range now. Fantastic. The only unfortunate thing about my bailout was my end position. I found myself 5 miles away and 1000' above my car. My only option was to descend the paved road back. Wet and freezing, I arrived back at the car. That heater felt great.

Although today's ride was amazing, it felt as if I had made my Karma withdrawals yesterday. Today I paid back. Cold temps, no company and ton's of technical climbing without a matching descent to show. I think I banked extra on this one.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Preemptive Revenger

Camera pack?

Man I am always jealous of the rides you get in! My Sunday ride was only Super Meyers (up Flagstaff Road and up Meyers Trail).

I have a question for all you people who post photos frequently...where do you carry your camera?

I keep mine in my camel back but the hassle of getting to it means I don't take too many photos. Is there a better way? What brand of camera case does everybody use, and where is it fastened? Or do you just stuff your camera into a back pocket?

(I presume everybody uses a similarly small digitial camera).

Thanks
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

mtbr dismember

Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    I have a question for all you people who post photos frequently...where do you carry your camera? What brand of camera case does everybody use...
    I got a small case at Walmart for $0.97. I attach it to my Camelback chest strap. Since you lean forward you don't even know it's there. If you put it in your pack you tend not to use it as much.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    heres a (blurry) shot of my setup. left chest strap of my pack. a small padded cam case from REI straps on just above my shoulder strap buckle-water resistant, but not waterproff. platic baggy needed for that. it has room for my cam, two spare sets of batteries, and another memory card. likely more, but that is the most i've had in it so far. also a small mesh pouch on the outside for more as needed. velcor and zip closure, so i can have it zipped partially open.

i've got a safety leash rigged to the cam so i can pull it out and not worry about dropping it; has about 8" of length, so i can not even need to unhook it sometimes. on the side of the main pack, i have a small mini tripod (gets about 6" of height, and can be strapped onto trees for higher up shots) that has come in handy for many of my shots.

the whole things sits out of the way when i'm riding, and is fairly well protected if i crash, unless i get unlucky and land right on the thing. i hardly even notice the size/weight. you should be able to find some sort of similar case or bag to fit whatever size of cam you have.

other two pics courtesy of the REI website. that is the newer style of the pocket i have; the olderone is better padded, and has more options for attachement. just a few examples though. hope all that helps.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    Man I am always jealous of the rides you get in! My Sunday ride was only Super Meyers (up Flagstaff Road and up Meyers Trail).
    Next ride I organize, I'll try to get a bit more notice before I post it in the FR forum. You should come - we manage to have a pretty good time.

As far as the camera goes, my backpack has integrated mesh pockets on the waist belt. Those pockets are super handy. I carry tools in one and a camera in the other.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO