Delta watershed trails destroyed by city.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Delta watershed trails destroyed by city.

Went to Rocky Cycle this morning and was informed by one of the staff who rides the shed daily that the city went in there, cut all the log rides, jumps, drops, everything that has to do with biking is literally gone. I'm guessing they were getting complaints from walkers or something. If they would stay on the shared trails and off the single tracks there wouldn't be an issue. now I have nowhere to ride. Total fukin horse $hit.Ba$tard$!

There's no app for this.

I think the city knows what's right, Denis...

in Hastings Park they want to install 900 slot machines. Clearly the city fathers know what's best to have in a park. 25 pristine acres turned into Playland, a hockey arena, a racetrack with 900 slots and parking for 1500 cars. Great park eh? FAQ!

The older I get the more outraged I become.

It's why I'm moving out of the city to Bowen Island, hopefully in the summer. It's getting nuts here.

Jim

Yummy
    Well, it is public land and most (all?) of the structures were illegally built. I know there's a local group (the Shed Bike Club) taking on mtb advocacy for the shed, but the agreement was that they would be self policing, and that continued addition of structures would stop.

Clearly, the building of new structures has continued. Some people won't accept the message. They'll be the ones complaining loudest now that they've lost everything they had.

I love riding stunts and structures, but there's a place for everything and the shed is too small and has too many users trying to share that small space.

Keep in mind that, even though the structures are gone, the trails are still there and nothing in the news I've heard states that bikes can't continue to share those trails.

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    Well, it is public land and most (all?) of the structures were illegally built. I know there's a local group (the Shed Bike Club) taking on mtb advocacy for the shed, but the agreement was that they would be self policing, and that continued addition of structures would stop.

Clearly, the building of new structures has continued. Some people won't accept the message. They'll be the ones complaining loudest now that they've lost everything they had.

I love riding stunts and structures, but there's a place for everything and the shed is too small and has too many users trying to share that small space.

Keep in mind that, even though the structures are gone, the trails are still there and nothing in the news I've heard states that bikes can't continue to share those trails.

Kn.
    I understand what your saying, but why did they have t ocut the logs out of the trails when they fell naturally and simply moved them in front to make it abit more exciting? why do they have specifically "shared trails" to me shared means if you are riding on it, be aware of horses, alot of people walking dogs etc. The other trails like Canyon trail, Briar trail, etc seem more technical for riders. I did not know there was a shed bike club to " self police" the place... again I just moved here and don't know much about BC lol.
    Jim C- Painted a nice cottage on Bowmen Island not long ago... nice place but its nasty there in winter

Jan 2004
    I cannot believe it. I have ridden those trails for the past 10-11 years. I have spent hours riding during the rain, dry, light, dark, you name it. I wasnt happy about it when they re-did the clearing but it was supposedly for the best. Unreal. I am very dissapointed. I know how I will be voting next time around.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Post a link to this thread over on the BC board.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    It's why I'm moving out of the city to Bowen Island, hopefully in the summer. It's getting nuts here.

Jim
    Jim ... Bowen Island is a hell-hole. Traffic jams, pissed off commuters trying to get back and forth to the Mainland, class warfare - suburban NIMBY's versus agrarian hippies etc. I've heard that there's a 7 year itch before people get off the Island. The last guy I know to move left for the Nanimo area after witnessing a fistfight break out at the local council meeting when the BC Ferries rep showed up. D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    I'm guessing they were getting complaints from walkers or something.
    You should find out the real reason instead of speculating. The "skinny" on NSMB.com is that someone got hurt and is suing (I can't confirm whether this is true). It also looks like this is not the first time the 'Shed has been chainsawed.

Also, would you rather sit around and complain or would you rather try to do something about it? Maybe you can look into getting involved with making the 'Shed more accessible to riders. After all, you are are a voter and a taxpayer and it is public land (I'm assuming).

There are people who think nobody should be riding on the North Shore either - here are the wise pronouncements of one North Shore councillor, Ernie Crist (btw, MTB is a $25 million-dollar-a-year business on the North Shore, according to the North Shore News):

... Crist says ... complaints and concerns from residents impacted by mountain biking (most notably those in the Upper Lynn Valley area) are on the rise, along with a "serious deterioration" of District parks in high bike-traffic areas.
    "There is an inherent and irreconcilable conflict between the sport and the pedestrian use of District parks," Crist states in a notice of motion submitted Monday that requests staff to provide an update report on mountain biking issues in the District.
    Crist explains that council instructed staff to prepare a study of recreational areas, including the potential relocation of mountain biking away from District parks and residential areas to more suitable locations, such as on GVRD and/or provincial lands.
    "It is a more suitable place," he said. "Mountain biking adjacent to a residential area is an anachronism."

North Shore Outlook

Small-minded buffoons like Crist need to be fought every step of the way. D.

Thanks for the link to the article. (Is the end of the article cut off, it ends in a odd spot.)

Maybe post a link to the article on the new MTBR BC board?

Yummy
    Crist puts the Vandeman into North Van ...

That link to the outlook article is cut off. Do you have a copy of the paper so I can read the full article? My quotes are the part that's cut of!!

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Your Customer Sales Rep

That link to the outlook article is cut off. Do you have a copy of the paper so I can read the full article? My quotes are the part that's cut of!!

Kn.
    I'm pretty sure that's almost the whole article. I have the print article at home and I'm pretty sure that's almost all that was in it. I think it ended with a quote from that Ken Neave clown. (I think the paper is in the recycling box right now - I'll try to remember to dig it out).

Here's the link again:

http://www.northshoreoutlook.com/por...d=188305&more=

Here is another much more positive article from the North Shore News the same week (I think one of their reporters has the hots for Jeremy Powers ... GO JEREMY - way to infiltrate The System):

http://www.nsnews.com/issues04/w0215...023104nn3.html
    Last edited by Duncan!; 02-18-2004 at 12:10 AM.

Your Customer Sales Rep

Further to doing something ...

Posted on another bulletin board - if you ride the 'Shed, make yourself heard.

"Due to the recent tear down of most mountain bike related trails in the Delta Watershed, I'm asking anyone who has some spare time to call in to Delta and voice your opinion in a preferred "constructive manner ".

Delta Parks Direct:
    604-946-3293 - Tel
    [email protected]

Jim Levine should be the appropiate contact. "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan!
    You should find out the real reason instead of speculating. The "skinny" on NSMB.com is that someone got hurt and is suing (I can't confirm whether this is true). It also looks like this is not the first time the 'Shed has been chainsawed.

Also, would you rather sit around and complain or would you rather try to do something about it? Maybe you can look into getting involved with making the 'Shed more accessible to riders. After all, you are are a voter and a taxpayer and it is public land (I'm assuming).

There are people who think nobody should be riding on the North Shore either - here are the wise pronouncements of one North Shore councillor, Ernie Crist (btw, MTB is a $25 million-dollar-a-year business on the North Shore, according to the North Shore News):

... Crist says ... complaints and concerns from residents impacted by mountain biking (most notably those in the Upper Lynn Valley area) are on the rise, along with a "serious deterioration" of District parks in high bike-traffic areas.
    "There is an inherent and irreconcilable conflict between the sport and the pedestrian use of District parks," Crist states in a notice of motion submitted Monday that requests staff to provide an update report on mountain biking issues in the District.
    Crist explains that council instructed staff to prepare a study of recreational areas, including the potential relocation of mountain biking away from District parks and residential areas to more suitable locations, such as on GVRD and/or provincial lands.
    "It is a more suitable place," he said. "Mountain biking adjacent to a residential area is an anachronism."

North Shore Outlook

Small-minded buffoons like Crist need to be fought every step of the way. D.
    I am new to BC and know nothing about the issues at hand... I simply heard it from someone who rides the Shed daily. If I could do something about it I definitely would in a minute. The shed is close to home for me , and its where I ride all the time.

Keep The Rubber Side Down

That's a damn shame

Went to Rocky Cycle this morning and was informed by one of the staff who rides the shed daily that the city went in there, cut all the log rides, jumps, drops, everything that has to do with biking is literally gone. I'm guessing they were getting complaints from walkers or something. If they would stay on the shared trails and off the single tracks there wouldn't be an issue. now I have nowhere to ride. Total fukin horse $hit.Ba$tard$!
    Those stunts were awesome for practicing. I've seen these types of stories posted from time to time about stunts on the shore. I guess it might be a price that you/we pay for utilizing those trails. Some get lost while most live. I hope an arrengement can be made with the hikers and folks who live in the neighborhood, and the cyclist.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Your Customer Sales Rep
    I am new to BC and know nothing about the issues at hand... I simply heard it from someone who rides the Shed daily. If I could do something about it I definitely would in a minute. The shed is close to home for me , and its where I ride all the time.
    Well ... take 90 seconds and pick up the phone and make your case as to why they did the WRONG thing:

Delta Parks Direct:
    604-946-3293 - Tel
    [email protected]

Jim Levine should be the appropiate contact.

MTBR member since 1998
    You=Delta resident=taxpayer=power.
    Remember, silence is only heard by the opposition. If you say nothing, then you are not counted. Call your councellr, say that is the reason you moved to Delta (the close proximity to riding), and you do not want to be part of a community that does not encourage recreation outside of golf courses. They groomed trails for hikers and equestrians. Fine. They have a right to be there. Let the bike trails be bike trails for bikers. Injuries happen. I'm sure hikers slip on the trails. Do they block off the trails then?
    Maybe I'm just getting old, but this BS about sueing people (if that is indeed what happened) is too much. If it is a youth, the parent should ask themselves whose fault it is. If it is an adult, fine. There is a reason armour and such is sold.
    I'm going to call the delta works yard, as well as the mayors office. I don't live in Delta, but I'm sure the shops and resturants that get my money will miss the riders not spending.
    Tim...falling off soapbox. OW! I'm sueing!!!
    Yes I'm a smooth rider. Bowling ball falling down the stairs smooth.

Quote: Godzilla "...owning a Knolly would be the cycling equivalent of having Nichole Kidman and Angelina Jolie show up together on my doorstep."

www.knollybikes.com

Your Customer Sales Rep

Kn.
    Hey Ken ... that is the full article (I just compared it to the print one). They didn't actually "quote"-"unquote"-quote you. Maybe you didn't say anything quotable. Maybe NSMBA needs a spokesmodel like Pamela Anderson (she'll do, she is from the Island, isn't she?).

Found those two are actually working together to stop mtn biking in North Van.

http://www.fonvca.org/letters/2004/1...t_2mar2004.pdf
    http://www.fonvca.org/letters/2004/1...t_7mar2004.pdf
    http://www.fonvca.org/letters/2004/1...28feb2004b.pdf
    http://www.xasa.es/grupos/rec/articl...ec.backcountry

mtbr member
    Just peeked and saw this (below). So if we banned horses from all trails equestrians could not complain because they have access. LOL

7. Isn't it discriminatory to allow hikers and equestrians on trails, but
    not mountain bikers? Mountain bikers love to tell this lie, apparently
    because they think it will gain them some sympathy. The truth is that
    mountain bikers have exactly the same access to trails that everyone else
    has! It is only their bikes that are banned. If mountain bikers were really
    being discriminated against, they could easily go to court to gain access.
    However ... they already have access to every trail in the world!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Van

You might want to contact ROMP for advice on dealing with this individual.

Members who have read this thread: 0