Alien Surf Team

Daughter's 1st Real Outing

9 y/o Sabrina with her Hardrock. 1st time in the dirt. 4 miles out and back, 300' elevation gain. 4 stream crossing (dad carried her bike). She's ready to go again so we'll probably go tomorrow. I've found my riding partner!!!

PS, before anybody reprimands me about the missing helmet, I'm holding it while taking the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's about showing up.

Excellent!

I hope it is the first of many.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Im all about the kids riding! It's what my oldest (and slowly my youngest) look forward to on the weekends..Keep it up!

former king
    That's very cool.
    Jeez, when I was a kid, bikes were made of rock.
    We didn't have mountainbikes way back then, but I rode my clunker everywhere and delivered newspapers in the neighborhood with it.
    I love seeing kids and ladies on the singletrack.
    Spread the joy.
    "My heart and soul are firmly in the dirt"--Dave Wiens

Mud Honey

brings back memories!

Way to go! My dad started my sister and I on Hardrocks 18 years ago and I've have many, many happy memories of Dadventures. Just a word to the wise: make sure you pack at least twice as many snacks as you think you'll need, especially on the really crazy adventures. My favorite memories are of picnics along the side of a trail with my dad.
    And at the end of the day, she smelled of dirt.

mtbr member
    Good stuff. Don't think you can get them into it too early eighter, if they can ride well do it. What a treasure to share with your kids and certainly will help make you both closer.

Alien Surf Team
    Went riding today. She dropped her bike no less than 8 times in about 45 minutes, but kept working. Party due to grabbing too much front brake on a section of large-rock gravel, and partly due to complete crap stock tires. I'm working on getting her to use the brakes better but I'm buy new tires this week.

Currently in Exile
    Good stuff dad! My 11 yr old loves riding with me. She is good for around 8 miles now and her technical skills are improving. Be sure to let her decide what she will ride and what she will walk. Let her make some mistakes and try to keep the annoying trail coaching to minimum. I almost turned mine off on riding by talking too much and trying to tell her how to ride each and every obstical.

Good luck on finding BETTER 24" tires. There aren't that many choices in that size. Most are designed with a rib down the middle and are NO improvement over the Specialized tires that came on my daughters Hotrock. If you do find some that work better, post em up.

Sounds like your off to a good start!
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Awesome! Great little ride to start out.. and great idea mentioning you're holding the helmet!
    ~ it's all good ~

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    that's awesome. now you need to upgrade your camera to give a better pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have two daughters and have taken them both out to ride. They like the skills park more than the trails, which has a bunch of little ups and downs and some banked turns. I really, really hope they will develop a liking for mountain bikes. I'm trying not to push them, because they will rebel, so I'm trying to give them opportunities and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Alien Surf Team
    I'm a little po'ed right now. Really nobody to be po'ed at but myself on this one. See that bottle cage. Nothing better to catch her pants on and caused at least 5 crashes today. I had the chain side of her pants tied but the other side caught it. I got so mad I tore the cage off with my hands. Dumb thing causing my baby to crash. I won't have that.

Members who have read this thread: 0