Cyclings things I swore I would never do that..I've done.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 67 of 67
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,225

    Cyclings things I swore I would never do that..I've done.

    So my wife and I are were talking with some friends the other day and they were asking if I would be doing a local Crit, my response “ I will never do a crit”. Then my wife’s says “ you say that about everything with your bike riding and then you end up doing it!” Doh!! She was right. So here is my list of thing I swore I would NEVER do that I have done, what’s yours?
    Wear those really weird Lycra shorts
    Wear those really weird Bib shorts
    Crash so bad I have to go to the ER
    Buy a Road Bike
    Do a Century
    Buy and use a trainer (I wish I never had done this one)
    Buy and love a SS bike
    Get into racing the MTB…over 2 years now.
    Finally I swore I would NEVER shave my legs! I’ve moved to the dark side!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906

    SSing AND leg shaving?!?!?!

    First you move to the dark side, then back to the "light" side.

    Three years ago I never thought I'd ride an SS on anything other than the small local parks. Finished a pretty tough 100-miler (SM100) last year on my Chester.


    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    So my wife and I are were talking with some friends the other day and they were asking if I would be doing a local Crit, my response “ I will never do a crit”. Then my wife’s says “ you say that about everything with your bike riding and then you end up doing it!” Doh!! She was right. So here is my list of thing I swore I would NEVER do that I have done, what’s yours?
    Wear those really weird Lycra shorts
    Wear those really weird Bib shorts
    Crash so bad I have to go to the ER
    Buy a Road Bike
    Do a Century
    Buy and use a trainer (I wish I never had done this one)
    Buy and love a SS bike
    Get into racing the MTB…over 2 years now.
    Finally I swore I would NEVER shave my legs! I’ve moved to the dark side!
    Last edited by Drevil; 03-17-2004 at 12:15 PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,225

    Lol!!!!!!!!

    good one

  4. #4
    Two wheels are best
    Reputation: DM-SC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Wear those really weird Lycra shorts
    Wear those really weird Bib shorts
    Crash so bad I have to go to the ER
    Buy a Road Bike
    Do a Century
    Buy and use a trainer (I wish I never had done this one)
    Buy and love a SS bike
    Get into racing the MTB…over 2 years now.
    Finally I swore I would NEVER shave my legs! I’ve moved to the dark side!

    The only two on your list that aren't on mine are the SS and MTB racing. I sworn off and then given in to eveything else, in pretty much the same order!

    Add wearing baggy shorts on MTB rides.

    I've thought about the MTB racing and I may give in to that one as well someday...

    I have zero desire for a SS.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

    Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

  5. #5
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,948
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    So my wife and I are were talking with some friends the other day and they were asking if I would be doing a local Crit, my response “ I will never do a crit”. Then my wife’s says “ you say that about everything with your bike riding and then you end up doing it!” Doh!! She was right. So here is my list of thing I swore I would NEVER do that I have done, what’s yours?
    Wear those really weird Lycra shorts
    Wear those really weird Bib shorts
    Crash so bad I have to go to the ER
    Buy a Road Bike
    Do a Century
    Buy and use a trainer (I wish I never had done this one)
    Buy and love a SS bike
    Get into racing the MTB…over 2 years now.
    Finally I swore I would NEVER shave my legs! I’ve moved to the dark side!
    I swore I'd never...

    shave my legs (shaved for a few years, now I'm back on the right side of right)
    run SS on my MTB (two and a half years, knee's exploded. now I'm 1x9)
    be able to side hop my trials bike over handlebar height (did 42" to tires a few years ago)
    do a century (I'll never do it again)
    ride trials again (I made a half arsed attempt to quit. it lasted 6 months. Now I've committed to at least two nationals this year and I'm organizing 2 local events)

    I love bicycles.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Great topic....
    In addition to most of the above, I swore:
    -I'd never buy another bike
    -ride the day after a night of binge drinking
    -buy a $200 light (and damn, they weight a lot)
    -climb that hill (the one I can do in the big ring now)
    -descend that hill
    -wear chamios butter
    -do a double centrury

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,225

    Good job! racing is blast

    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC
    The only two on your list that aren't on mine are the SS and MTB racing. I sworn off and then given in to eveything else, in pretty much the same order!

    Add wearing baggy shorts on MTB rides.

    I've thought about the MTB racing and I may give in to that one as well someday...

    I have zero desire for a SS.
    In my opinion nothing compares to the after race buzz/exhaustion.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,225

    double century is still on my list that

    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Great topic....
    In addition to most of the above, I swore:
    -I'd never buy another bike
    -ride the day after a night of binge drinking
    -buy a $200 light (and damn, they weight a lot)
    -climb that hill (the one I can do in the big ring now)
    -descend that hill
    -wear chamios butter
    -do a double centrury
    I have no intention of doing. I did the Death Ride last year, 9 hours, thats enough ride time for me in 1 day!

  9. #9
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,429
    I swore I'd never buy a bike that weighs over 25 pounds.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  10. #10
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,438
    When i started riding, I swore I would not spend more than $300 on a mountain bike. So I was a good boy and bought a $250 used diamondback ascent.

    Well that promise went awry quickly so I stopped saying 'never' after that. I quickly learned to expect the unexpected.

    Interesting note about shaving and bib shorts. Have you tried a skinsuit yet? When I put mine on, I just hum....I'm too sexy for mah sef, too sexy for ma sef...

    francois

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,225

    Skinsuit?

    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    When i started riding, I swore I would not spend more than $300 on a mountain bike. So I was a good boy and bought a $250 used diamondback ascent.

    Well that promise went awry quickly so I stopped saying 'never' after that. I quickly learned to expect the unexpected.

    Interesting note about shaving and bib shorts. Have you tried a skinsuit yet? When I put mine on, I just hum....I'm too sexy for mah sef, too sexy for ma sef...

    francois
    Never have tried a skinsuit, sounds scary, I mean picturing you in a skinsuit is scary!

  12. #12
    Two wheels are best
    Reputation: DM-SC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Interesting note about shaving and bib shorts. Have you tried a skinsuit yet? When I put mine on, I just hum....I'm too sexy for mah sef, too sexy for ma sef...
    francois
    Those skinsuits are made for tall, skinny folks. I'm neither of those...I have way too much muscle mass to wear a skinsuit!
    Never be afraid to try something new.

    Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

  13. #13
    Yummy
    Reputation: K'Endo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    When i started riding, I swore I would not spend more than $300 on a mountain bike. So I was a good boy and bought a $250 used diamondback ascent.

    francois
    No kiddin? My first ride was a DB Ascent! I bought it new, though. I think I paid $450 cdn.

    Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    From what I hear, the double I did (well, I actually did half of a 508, so does that count) can't compete with the Death Ride. I have a buddy who keeps asking me to do it, and I kindly ask, "Are you crazy"?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,225

    Death Ride

    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    From what I hear, the double I did (well, I actually did half of a 508, so does that count) can't compete with the Death Ride. I have a buddy who keeps asking me to do it, and I kindly ask, "Are you crazy"?
    After I finished the Death Ride I swore I would never do it again...I'm already signed up for this years!! Guess I have a screw loose. I would highly reccomend doing it! The best organized cycling event I have ever done.

  16. #16
    Dr. Porkenheimer
    Reputation: bykhed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    307

    Me Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I swore I'd never buy a bike that weighs over 25 pounds.
    ...and I just bought a 35 lb. freeride bike. I remember seeing a Camelbak the first time and thinking, "That is the stupidest thing ever. I'd never buy one of those." Said I'd never get disc brakes - new FR bike has 8" Hayes. Said I'd never call Search and Rescue - made the call with Grand County, UT a couple years back. Said I'd always be careful, so I wouldn't end up in the ER - did you know that Vail has an excellent hospital? I do.

    -Matt (Still think the leg shaving thing is silly)

  17. #17
    Des(s)ert Rat
    Reputation: screampint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,961
    Never say never. I haven't done all of those things, but many of them. I don't race, but I have, I have shaved my legs since I was 13 (but it would not be regarded unusual), I have done both a road and a dirt century, I really enjoy my SS. I don't have bib shorts, have no plans on buying any (but that's not a "never"), I haven't had a trip to the ER for mtb'ing (but I have given myself black eyes and there may have been questionable times). My first bike that I bought with my own money was a roadie. Have no plans for a trainer (but again, never say never).

    However, a mountain uni might be a stretch...

  18. #18
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    I wore a skinsuit once.

    After seeing pictures, I really won't do that again.

  19. #19
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,429
    Quote Originally Posted by bykhed
    ...and I just bought a 35 lb. freeride bike. I remember seeing a Camelbak the first time and thinking, "That is the stupidest thing ever. I'd never buy one of those." Said I'd never get disc brakes - new FR bike has 8" Hayes. Said I'd never call Search and Rescue - made the call with Grand County, UT a couple years back. Said I'd always be careful, so I wouldn't end up in the ER - did you know that Vail has an excellent hospital? I do.

    -Matt (Still think the leg shaving thing is silly)
    I just bought a 26-27 pounds "all-mountain" bike, not that far above my previous 25 pounds psychological limit...

    I swore I'd never get a Camelbak too, I now have two.
    I swore I wouldn't use riser bars and Shimano pedals ever again...
    I swore I would never have a mustache...
    I swore I would never get a cellphone...

    I gotta stop swearing!
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 03-17-2004 at 06:03 PM. Reason: I love to edit!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  20. #20
    Ride what you want!!
    Reputation: george_da_trog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,202
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    No kiddin? My first ride was a DB Ascent! I bought it new, though. I think I paid $450 cdn.

    Kn.
    All hail the DB Ascent... full STX.

    My only two real "I'll never do that." item that I've broken is the bib shorts thing. Man those things are comfy. .

    My only other "'ll never pay for a lift ticket to ride downhill" was broken a few years ago.

    george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bhutata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC
    Those skinsuits are made for tall, skinny folks. I'm neither of those...I have way too much muscle mass to wear a skinsuit!
    As opposed to my situation...I just have too much mass.
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

  22. #22
    Expert Pushing SSer
    Reputation: Meat Foot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,503
    I’ll chime in:
    *Drink heavily the night before a race, and then puke my lungs out (nice touch)
    *Do a century on an MTB with slicks (did 2, more of the ”fun” variety)
    *Get slicks for my MTB
    *Get something other than my 1st MTB (1988 Nishiki Colorado with U-brake and biodegradable chainrings, I mean biopace), or my 2nd……
    *Get front suspension (still holding out on the full sus.)
    *Get into SS-ing (It has such a grip on me, it has turned into an epidemic)
    *Wear baggy shorts (laugh)
    *Buy anything titanium (“that’s fer them darn airplanes”)

    Oh well, a mans gotta know his limitations…..
    Tuff Schist

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    250

    let the sun shine in...........

    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    So my wife and I are were talking with some friends the other day and they were asking if I would be doing a local Crit, my response “ I will never do a crit”. Then my wife’s says “ you say that about everything with your bike riding and then you end up doing it!” Doh!! She was right. So here is my list of thing I swore I would NEVER do that I have done, what’s yours?
    Wear those really weird Lycra shorts
    Wear those really weird Bib shorts
    Crash so bad I have to go to the ER
    Buy a Road Bike
    Do a Century
    Buy and use a trainer (I wish I never had done this one)
    Buy and love a SS bike
    Get into racing the MTB…over 2 years now.
    Finally I swore I would NEVER shave my legs! I’ve moved to the dark side!

    I haven't yet shaved my legs but I am contemplating a trainer.

  24. #24
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,406
    Agree...

    After racing 2 wheels(mtr) all my life...I was DONE with it. Never ever thought I'd be mtn bike racing at the rip age of 45. This is my 2nd season, and its all I think about. The after race buzz is a great natural high for sure.


    And yes...I started shaving my legs for the 1st time a couple weeks ago as well. The humanity!!

    Now wheres my favorite bibs?....

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10

    24 hour race

    My friends had the big idea to watch a 24 hour race and maybe we would enter the next year. We watched the start which was pretty cool and headed out on the trail to a place we knew would be kind of sketchy so we could see some crashes. We weren't disappointed! Nothing to major until one guy went over the bars and landed on his head doing about 20. He stand up and has leaves and grass sticking all out of his helmet, doesn't know his name, the date. You know the usual stuff. Eventually I walk him back to his team and say if my friends want to do this they are crazy. Well we came in 3rd and I turned my fastest lap of 46 on the Olympic course. Some of the most fun I've ever head pedaling my rear off in the dark and cold at 4:30 am with a flat fork (wasn't quite as fast that lap).

    Honey I promise I won't do a solo or two man 24 hour race. Well maybe if I quit work and had more time to train since it is 6 months away... Maybe if I got a new bike... Maybe if I...

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gakster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    286

    I'll never ...

    1. .... have more than 1 bike. Who needs so many bikes anyway. I now have 4.

    2 ..... ride a road bike. Too geeky, too dangerous, no fun. I did more miles on my road bike than my MTB.

    3. ..... race MTB. Why stress myself out. Signed up for my 3rd Sea Otter this year.

    4 ..... Freeride-schmiride. I'm too old for that kind of stuff and it's for ex-BMX'er anyway. Been to Northstar & Keystone and lovin' it.

    Cheers,
    Gak

  27. #27
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    i swore i'd never...

    ...ride full-suspension

    ...use disk brakes

    ...let training take over my entire life

    ...own & ride a trainer (i now spend more time/week on the trainer than outside)

    ...get up earlier on the weekends than i do during the week

    ...drink anything that included a tablespoon of protein powder, soy milk, and orange juice


    i've shaved my legs for so long i can't remember when i started (not unusual for the same reason as screampint). i've never worn bibs or a skinsuit - the skinsuit appeals to me but bibs don't, and chances are good that i can't find either in my size anyway. and i don't even want to talk about racing....

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  28. #28
    Two wheels are best
    Reputation: DM-SC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,135

    Not True!

    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    and i don't even want to talk about racing....
    rt
    Protein powder too? Yuck!
    Never be afraid to try something new.

    Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

  29. #29
    Des(s)ert Rat
    Reputation: screampint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,961

    One more for you!

    I bet you said you'd never sandbag a race

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,225

    Sandbager???????????

    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    I bet you said you'd never sandbag a race
    Are you reftering to me or .rt??? I think she just moved up to expert class also, so were both gettin humbled.

  31. #31
    Des(s)ert Rat
    Reputation: screampint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,961
    I was refering to rt. And I think she knows that I'm joking. Remember the whole little uproar she caused last year because she improved greatly over the season?

  32. #32
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    who me?! never!!

    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    I bet you said you'd never sandbag a race
    hehehehehehe!

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  33. #33
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    tell me about it

    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC
    Protein powder too? Yuck!
    i just started back on my morning protein smoothie......it tastes pretty good until i add the protein. blech!

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  34. #34
    Two wheels are best
    Reputation: DM-SC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,135

    I know all too well...

    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    i just started back on my morning protein smoothie......it tastes pretty good until i add the protein. blech!

    rt
    Just how BAD the stuff can taste. Back when I was actively "lifting weights", I drank WAY too much of the stuff. I tried every brand and flavor that GNC sold. I never got used to the taste.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

    Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

  35. #35
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    yumm. humble pie

    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Are you reftering to me or .rt??? I think she just moved up to expert class also, so were both gettin humbled.
    my favorite.

    go here for sandbagging entertainment:
    http://forums13.consumerreview.com/[email protected]

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    No kiddin? My first ride was a DB Ascent! I bought it new, though. I think I paid $450 cdn.

    Kn.
    Hey, me too. Remember 1994?

  37. #37
    Dazed and Confused
    Reputation: AlanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    304
    I swore I'ld never put my bike on a scale or become a weight weenie.

    But at 47 pounds my new bike has permanently changed me. Good thing it rides so sweet.
    Is ibuprofen considered a recreational drug?

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26

    Wear a Helmet

    To add to the list:

    Wear a helmet... (that was dumb, but at the time didn't seem so bad)
    Bike specific shoes and clip in instead of sneakers...
    Suspension (front and/or back)...

  39. #39
    cojones inside
    Reputation: Kley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    After I finished the Death Ride I swore I would never do it again...I'm already signed up for this years!! Guess I have a screw loose. I would highly reccomend doing it! The best organized cycling event I have ever done.
    Do you do the Death ride on your MTB bike?, tough ride!
    Kley

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,225

    Nope, I do it on

    The Titanium road bike (Merlin) that I swore I would never buy!

  41. #41
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    i think it's the texture...

    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC
    Just how BAD the stuff can taste. Back when I was actively "lifting weights", I drank WAY too much of the stuff. I tried every brand and flavor that GNC sold. I never got used to the taste.
    that really does me in. what once was liquid and drinkable becomes thick & nasty.

    yuck!

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  42. #42
    cojones inside
    Reputation: Kley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    i just started back on my morning protein smoothie......it tastes pretty good until i add the protein. blech!

    rt
    What kind of protein do you take?, Have you try the Jarrow's Muscle Optimeal (vanilla flavor), I think is pretty tasty. The best I found, took me a while. All natural too!, my wife and daughter are always stealing my shakes. (I use blueberries and bananas exclusively) I get it at powerhouseshop.com
    Kley

  43. #43
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    uh...the stuff in the brown can...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kley
    What kind of protein do you take?, Have you try the Jarrow's Muscle Optimeal (vanilla flavor), I think is pretty tasty. The best I found, took me a while. All natural too!, my wife and daughter are always stealing my shakes. (I use blueberries and bananas exclusively) I get it at powerhouseshop.com


    i get it at the grocery store. it doesn't really have any flavor (which is fine with me) but the gritty texture is pretty awful. i'll check out your recommendation as soon as i finish off the vat of the stuff i currently have!

    rt (this morning's shake had a chunk of pineapple, 1 small banana, some frozen raspberries, 3 frozen strawberries, 1 tbl plain 0 fat yogurt, 1 tbl vanilla 0 fat yogurt, soy milk, oj)
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  44. #44
    umm...yea
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    196

    Never say never, dude

    Quote Originally Posted by mikenbike
    My friends had the big idea to watch a 24 hour race and maybe we would enter the next year. We watched the start which was pretty cool and headed out on the trail to a place we knew would be kind of sketchy so we could see some crashes. We weren't disappointed! Nothing to major until one guy went over the bars and landed on his head doing about 20. He stand up and has leaves and grass sticking all out of his helmet, doesn't know his name, the date. You know the usual stuff. Eventually I walk him back to his team and say if my friends want to do this they are crazy. Well we came in 3rd and I turned my fastest lap of 46 on the Olympic course. Some of the most fun I've ever head pedaling my rear off in the dark and cold at 4:30 am with a flat fork (wasn't quite as fast that lap).

    Honey I promise I won't do a solo or two man 24 hour race. Well maybe if I quit work and had more time to train since it is 6 months away... Maybe if I got a new bike... Maybe if I...
    Go solo......it's the only way.





    Racing 'Round the Clock
    www.teamtwentyfour.com

  45. #45
    ali'i hua
    Reputation: SlowSSer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Have you tried a skinsuit yet? When I put mine on, I just hum....I'm too sexy for mah sef, too sexy for ma sef...

    francois
    does Terminaut know about this? I know that he has that CD in his travel collection...and he made us listen to it on the way to sea otter last year. ugh- that's something that you never forget.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,225
    Hate to pimp my own thread but could't help it. As I was driving the family to watch me do my first Crit on Sunday, it came back to me that I swore I would never do a crit! With this track record I'll be posting again after I do 30 foot huck or a solo 24 hour race The Crit was fun, here are a couple pix.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

  47. #47
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Hate to pimp my own thread but could't help it. As I was driving the family to watch me do my first Crit on Sunday, it came back to me that I swore I would never do a crit! With this track record I'll be posting again after I do 30 foot huck or a solo 24 hour race The Crit was fun, here are a couple pix.
    nice job merlin!

    after my 2nd season racing on the road i swore i'd never do a crit again.....and so far i haven't!

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    nice job merlin!

    after my 2nd season racing on the road i swore i'd never do a crit again.....and so far i haven't!

    rt
    I don't blame you!! They are short, dangerous and not a lot of fun. BUT, I'm used to driving 2-3 hours to race and we have a Crit with lots of climbing right here in my hometown, 5 minutes from my house, so I have to do it! It's on fathers day and I wanted to try a crit before then to make sure I'm safe in the pack.
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

  49. #49
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,749

    On behalf of the world...

    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    I wore a skinsuit once.

    After seeing pictures, I really won't do that again.
    I thank you for your decision.

    Nevers:

    Lycra
    Full Suspension
    Shaved Legs
    Women's panties
    Performance drinks/gels, etc.
    Singlespeed
    Custom bike



    Ken

  50. #50
    Hairy man
    Reputation: Dwight Moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,923

    I'll never...

    I swear I'll never be able to afford all the upgrades/accessories I want.
    I swear I'll never have as much time to ride as I'd like.
    I swear I won't wear lycra unless I've lost a lot of weight.

    I can probably keep these promises.

  51. #51
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    Hmmm... the only rule I ever made for myself that I actually kept was "Never work in the food-service industry".

    Bike related....

    Never ride with the Durango Wheel Club roadie a$$es - Last night I had a great time with them - 50 miles w/ 5000+ feet of climbing in 2:20.

    Never go back to a hardtail - Haven't been on anything else except for my (cough cough) one race so far this spring

    Never race against that freaking train up to Silverton - 10 Days baby.

    The only other one that will soon fall is Leg Shaving. I told myself that I wouldn't shave my legs until I actually did one road race. My girlfriend has been bugging me to do it for about a year now.

  52. #52
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    The Server is TOO FREAKIN BUSY
    Last edited by forkboy; 05-18-2005 at 01:47 PM.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,005

    Never say never.

    I'm game for anything. Bring it on. (although I gotta say, I can't see the fun in cyclocross)


    OTOH.... There's lots of things I've always said I wanted to try,....... but haven't yet.
    1. Race a 24 hour race
    2. Ride in Fruita...or anywhere in CO for that matter
    3. Big Rig downhill bike on big scary downhill course.....use chair lift.
    4. Race the Brianhead 100
    5. Attend an Mtbr gathering
    etc.etc...


    Sigh... not enough days in the year.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-18-2005 at 02:32 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  54. #54
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,739
    "I just hum....I'm too sexy for mah sef, too sexy for ma sef..."

    http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/cli...006213-4385128

  55. #55
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,167
    .buy a mt bike
    . buy a road bike
    . go underw'less
    . wear lycra shorts
    . get front suspension
    . get rear syuspension
    . get disc brakes
    . get involved in club leadership positions

    things I've pretty much kept my promise on:
    . screw drops, jumps etc--I'm gravity challenged and I like it
    . do races occasionally
    . do night rides
    and blah blah

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    52

    Cool!

    im enjoying reading posts/threads like this!

  57. #57
    life is a barrel o'fun
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,502
    I never expected to become so fully addicted to mtb, let alone spend as much money on it as I've been doing.

    Used to be a techno grouch, like- what's the point of suspension? Then I got a hardtail.

    Then several people commented on the stiffness of the front fork, so I actually spent more money on a good (used) front shock. Just over two years ago, I still had toe clips, one pair of padded shorts, and a water bottle cage.

    Thought I was set for life....until another Betty with a Superlight said, "A better bike would make you a better rider...." Well, I was starting to make some money then, and hit a milestone birthday year, so I got the Blur. Justification: I rode the rigid bike for over a decade, then got the basic entry-level front supsension....why not treat myself?

    I do expect to get a SS and a road bike at some point, but I don't expect to ever....

    - become a "roadie"
    - become focused on heart rate and such
    - put anything besides water in my CamelBak (but where else to put that Endurox?)
    - take on stupid stunts (it's all relative)
    - hock loogies (snot rockets are okay on occasion)
    - win a race, or finish anywhere near the top
    - have a sponsor (damn)
    - get one of my non-biker friends/family to ride dirt (besides the one friend who is now pregnant)
    - look *good* in lycra
    - build a bike/wheel from scratch
    - own a car worth more than my bike
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    The only other one that will soon fall is Leg Shaving. I told myself that I wouldn't shave my legs until I actually did one road race. My girlfriend has been bugging me to do it for about a year now.
    I started this thread when I broke down and shaved the legs a little over a year ago and all I can say is go for it! Road rash, massage, ticks, Poison Oak, most imortant, if your girlfriend is asking what are you waiting for?
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

  59. #59
    giv'r.
    Reputation: xcdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    171
    good thread!

    - voluntarily wear spandex when baggies would be acceptable (where ARE those baggies, anyway...)
    - go commando (WHY did I wait so long on that one)
    - be attracted to guys with shaved legs (hoo-wah!)
    - let cycling take over my life (last time I had a beer that wasn't post ride/post race was...?)
    - get upgrade fever (did I really think I was just going to be happy with my $300 Raleigh? Silly talk... 2 bikes and thousands of dollars later, I'm jonesin' for bike #4)
    - attack in a road ride
    - do a road race (TT 2 weeks ago!)
    - get a cell phone (solely for long solo rides in the boondocks)
    - drop trou/go shirtless in a public place (whatever, the trees are far away and if you haven't seen it before...)

  60. #60
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by xcdemon
    good thread!

    - voluntarily wear spandex when baggies would be acceptable (where ARE those baggies, anyway...)
    My baggies are at the bottom of the drawer. The only time they come out is when I haven't done a load of bike clothes in more than 3 weeks. I wore them a lot more before I got dead sexy legs.

    Quote Originally Posted by xcdemon
    - drop trou/go shirtless in a public place (whatever, the trees are far away and if you haven't seen it before...)
    You can never see it too often.

  61. #61
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    if your girlfriend is asking what are you waiting for?
    It's the initial deforestation that is the clincher. Once you start, you can never stop...

  62. #62
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,991
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Have you tried a skinsuit yet? When I put mine on, I just hum....I'm too sexy for mah sef, too sexy for ma sef...
    francois
    Yeah I thought so too so I snapped this nice pic of you -
    Attached Images Attached Images

  63. #63
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764
    One thing I swear that I will never do, and I won't, is ride without a shirt.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  64. #64
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,438
    photo-john said he would never wear a bib....



    fc

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Guital2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    478
    What is a crit?

  66. #66
    Jabberwocky Jockey
    Reputation: Darkwing Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    809
    I'm a never say never kinda guy but there are several things I have done bike-related that I thought I wouldn't:

    Ride a century (road)
    Shave my legs
    Ride two centuries in two days (road)
    Wear lycra
    Do a road race
    Win a road race
    Do a mountain bike race
    Win a mountain bike race
    Do a Cyclocross race
    Ride over 10K miles in one year
    Do a 24 hour race
    Do 7 more 24 hour races
    Do a 12 hour race solo
    Get a FS bike - and love it.
    Get a rigid SS bike (after getting and loving the FS one)
    Hardly ever ride the FS bike anymore (after getting and loving the SS one)
    night ride.

    Non-bike related:

    Have a son and a house.

    Still to do:
    Off-road century
    Do a 24 hour race solo - on a singlespeed.
    Ride singletrack with my son.
    Do a 12 or 24 hour race - with my son.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.


    www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

    My Blog

  67. #67
    Preemptive Revenger
    Reputation: rapwithtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    867

    You People Are Disappointing!

    You all clearly need to improve your selective memories!

    I honestly can't remember anything that I said I'd never do that I've subsequently done. Oh, I'm sure they exist, it's just that I can't remember them. (That's what friends are for - to remind you at an appropriately embarrassing moment!)
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

Similar Threads

  1. All things Mantis...
    By flyingsuperpetis in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 483
    Last Post: 01-27-2019, 12:25 PM
  2. Great things about Trek
    By FuelFan90 in forum Trek
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 01:10 PM
  3. The more Things Change...the LESS They Stay the Same
    By MTBDad in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 04:53 AM
  4. Things you see while riding
    By Big Willie in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 10:00 AM
  5. Checking things out
    By Mellow Yellow in forum Diamondback
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 04:54 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.