Really I am that slow

Cross post UT, Passion Buzzkill!

Just got back from a ride on Little Creek. I am completely broken hearted by the amount of damage by people (particularly bike guides and bicycles companies who should know better) riding before the trail was ready. There is NO REASON to be riding Little Creek the day after a rain storm. I don't care how far you came to ride; if a trail is not ready, it is NOT READY.

Little Creek is an area of "Critical Environmental Concern" according to the BLM. It is not a dedicated trail system and we are currently working with the BLM to get the trail dedicated and signed. This type of damage makes all mountain bikers look bad, especially in the eyes of the BLM. This is the kind of thing that could cost all riders access to one of the most amazing trail systems anywhere.

To those riders who turned around when they saw the mud, we are bowing and tossing multiple "We're not worthy!"'s in your direction.

To those riders who saw the mud and kept riding, there is no reason for you to come back. Your legacy of crappyness will be with us for years to come. In the future, I hope that you will leave a trail in the condition you found it, especially when you pass a giant sign saying "CRITICAL ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERN".
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

I'm SUCH a square....
    Too many MTB'rs simply take their sense of entitlement from other areas of their lives, and transfer it to riding.

I'm not saying you have to be a tree-hugging earth-child to be a MTB'r, but a little bit of sense should be involved.

The idea of using the earth's resources is so ingrained in the human psyche, no one even thinks anymore about the Scriptural admonition "fill the earth, and subdue it"; it NEVER meant 'conquest', 'rule', or 'dominion' over the natural riches of the earth. To 'subdue', was to take charge and take care of, take responsibility for it.

Everything here is NOT just for our pleasure, use, or consumption. We as people need to manage these natural riches, not just for our own short-term benefit, but for the long-term co-existence of ALL. It's everything, from not dumping toxic waste in the oceans to not stomping the crypto-soil in the Utah/Nevada areas, to not abusing fragile areas like this one.

Are we barbarians, pillaging at will, or are we caretakers of our collective home? (Ok, here's the soapbox...next!)
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

saddlemeat
    I worry a lot when our trails are soaked and vulnerable, just a couple days ago I was driving past a major trailhead and saw two riders pulling bikes from a pickup bed. I pulled into the parking lot and approached them and immediately determined they were novices. I warned them not to ride on the trail where it was muddy and they agreed not to but these guys were clueless to the details of what I was saying. I hope they didn't do too much damage. The only consolation is that if they did get mudded up their drivetrains are history. I wince every time I see images of muddy biking in the popular media because it fuels the mass mentality that nature is there to be "conquered", when in reality it is being overwhelmed by ignorance.
    I ride with the best dogs.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    That sucks. Paraphrasing some tour companies, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes. I don't agree with it, but tours typically ride all weather.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC
    That sucks. Paraphrasing some tour companies, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes. I don't agree with it, but tours typically ride all weather.

And races!

Last summer the county opened several acres of our park to logging. They ripped the hell out of a lot of sweet single track. Being the lemonade out of lemons types we rebuilt it better than it was before; more flow, more turns, more speed, more fun!

We got in a couple months of riding on the new stuff before winter shut it down.

Over the winter I built a new bike and waited, and waited, and waited until I thought it was ready to ride only to go out & find all the new stuff post holed by equestrians.
    No moss...

up n over
    Nov 2010
    i love horses.
    i hate horse people.
    "my cat's breath smells like catfood."
    -ralph wiggum

Unpredictable
    I am waiting to get lectured about riding in the wet locally. We have had a very prolonged and very wet period where I live apart from a bit of a break in early March. Thing is a mate and I go out each week to build and maintain trails. We have to ride in to get to our destinations. I find my shoes cause more damage than my wheels, but that is more to do with lots of steps in a small area when putting in drains and such. Mostly our soils are pretty durable, but in places there can be real slop. So we just keep working to avoid that happening in that area in the next rainy period. I doubt we will run out of work.

Members who have read this thread: 0