amar la vida de dos niner

Crested Butte in the Summertime

Taking a vacation is something I rarely indulge in. As a self-employed person, the cost is more than just that associated with taking the trip--there's also the lost income during the time I'm gone. But my sweetie convinced me to arrange my schedule for a summertime excursion to Crested Butte. And I'm so glad he did!

On our way out, we stopped in lovely Salida and did a quick trail run right out of town (to the big S) at about 8K in order to help us acclimate to the altitude. (I was totally captivated by the rainbow trees! Thank you to whatever creative person/persons responsible for that splash of beauty.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr1.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr2.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr3.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr4.jpg  

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

Our arrival in Crested Butte that afternoon was marked by a sun-shower and a remarkable rainbow that arched over the mountain (from our vantage point). You could even see where it "touched down"!

The next day, we jumped in to the Crested Butte trail scene with both feet, riding the Green Lake Trail. 1 hour, 45 minutes of climbing; 37 minutes of descending. Plenty of rocks and roots to keep things interesting. *phew*

No, Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas (or in this case, Texas) anymore.

We were able to ride right from our door, using the concrete path down to town. (The trailhead is just on the outskirts.) That did mean more climbing right at the end of the ride, but the views were lovely.

And yes, you will have to put up with lots of flower pics. Deal with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr5.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr6.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr7.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr8.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr9.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr10.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr11.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr12.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr13.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr14.jpg  

The next day we did a trail run at the Oh-Be-Joyful Trail. That was such a scenic spot! Several waterfalls could be seen in the distance, from the snow melt. The trail ran parallel to a creek much of the way. And the wildflowers were in abundance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr15.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr16.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr17.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr18.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr19.jpg  

Our next day was to be the "epic" one, with a substantial ride followed by a substantial run. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate. But we did get to experience the main part of 401, which is a lovely trail in its own way. Even the climb on the road is scenic. Unfortunately, the descent isn't recorded in pictures very well, as we were trying to out-ride the rain (and some thunder). After we finished with 401, we headed on up to higher ground and did a little hiking (it was too slippery to run) at West Maroon Pass. Again, the flowers were incredible. But this time the thunder was a bit too close, and our time on the trail was shorter than we had hoped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr20.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr21.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr22.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr23.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr24.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr25.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr26.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr27.jpg  

We decided to spend our last full day exploring a couple of trails that don't see much use. And as it turns out, they have no trail markings! No matter. We found our way.

We started with Wildcat Trail, which takes a very direct way up and over a ridge to hook up with the upper part of Green Lake Trail. It's kind of a put-your-head-down-and-climb ascent, but the scenery at the crest was glorious. And of course, Green Lake is beautiful. We went back down the same way, then drove out to Irwin Lake to do Scarp Ridge and take in the highest scenery of our trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr28.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr29.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr30.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr31.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr32.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr33.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr34.jpg  

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    I like that! The rainbow tree is very cool.

Once you leave the lake, the area around Scarp Ridge Trail is littered with exploratory holes blasted into the ground in the 1800s by prospectors. And of course, as we climbed higher, the views were stupendous. Wow. Impressive stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr35.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr36.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr37.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr38.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr39.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr40.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr41.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr42.jpg  

And then it was our last morning; we had to depart at midday. So we did another ride from our door, heading down the concrete path toward town, observing those same low-lying clouds photographed by Clay. The trail provided a great recovery spin, with a limited amount of climbing (and slippery, rocky, rooty spots--which the guy from Pennsylvania was loving!). And, of course, lots of great scenery, both on the trail and along the concrete path.

Thank you, Crested Butte, for sharing your beauty, your challenges, and your charm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr43.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr44.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr45.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr46.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr47.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr48.jpg  

Crested Butte in the Summertime-mtbr49.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the beautiful photos! I haven't been to CB since the mid 90's...must return.

jb

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Love me some 403 and 401

mtbr member
    Nice stuf SW, thanks for the Passion hit The scenery can be a bit daunting and cause you to loose the ride for wanting to keep taking pics every few feet - I know, been there, done that but it's something that's hard to help when it's your first visit. Ain't the feeling in your lungs just so nice when you reach that Schofield pass sign: Holly cow it's just lung busting, but so worth it. Love'd that 401 trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crested Butte in the Summertime-p1030018-large-.jpg  

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Very nice pics. Looks like some awesome riding!

mtbr member
    Aloha Scorpio,

Thanks for posting. Every 2-3 years I do my mountain bike vacation out there in CB. It's such a beautiful place with so many awesome trails to ride on. 401 is always one of my favorites, I keep thinking while I'm on 401 I'm going to see Maria Von-Trapp singing when I come around the next corner. The town is beautiful with so much to see and do. Mountain Bike Hall of Fame is there............

Thanks again for posting, I'm glad you were able to take a vacation and get out and enjoy.

Aloha,g

wannabee
    We are so lucky to have you here. I thank you and your sweetie too. GBB

mtbr member
    cb rocks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfroggy
    cb rocks
    So does SW!

Quote Originally Posted by CxAgent2
    So does SW!
    Thanks, Kent!

gmats, I *did* launch into that song, but it was on Scarp Ridge. (Once a music geek, always a music geek.)

Thanks, GBB.

I'm so glad I did that trip, and I'm glad you guys appreciate the shots. Have a great day!

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    Great shots! Just out of interest, is that Tora fork 100mm??
    Hardtail - A bike that is ridden by people who know how to pick lines, rather than plow through stuff.

Witty McWitterson
    yep. I miss CO. Some day I'll be back.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    All those beautiful trails. Two perfectly good bicycles. And yet you hike/run? Yo no comprendo (Of course, I hate running). Are they in wilderness areas or is that just one of your other passions?

Great pis, btw, of what looks to be a fun trip.

mtbr member
    Great posting and photos. Not too many flowers all all, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Great posting and photos. Not too many flowers all all, btw.
    Oh, believe me, I could have posted more.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon-RSX
    Great shots! Just out of interest, is that Tora fork 100mm??
    Probably. But I don't know for sure: it's my boyfriend's bike.

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    All those beautiful trails. Two perfectly good bicycles. And yet you hike/run? Yo no comprendo (Of course, I hate running). Are they in wilderness areas or is that just one of your other passions?

Great pis, btw, of what looks to be a fun trip.
    Ha! Yep, we are trail distance runners, as well. And we did indeed pick the wilderness-area trails to run--otherwise we wouldn't get to see them!

I tell you what, though. The one trail we did on foot that was not wilderness area, I'm really not sure that would have been a very successful ride! Has anyone ridden Scarp Ridge Trail? That's a whole lotta steep climbing!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nice, I just returned Sunday and had the pleasure of riding with some good friends on 401, we were lucky as there was no rain but unseasonably hot. Long climb on the road but what a great descent..................

Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Nice, I just returned Sunday and had the pleasure of riding with some good friends on 401, we were lucky as there was no rain but unseasonably hot. Long climb on the road but what a great descent..................
    Actually, after all that climbing on the road (which I certainly did at a comfortable pace), I thought the climb at the start of the singletrack was the toughest part of the ride! But that section of trail was very well built for bikers, because it gives you breathers along the way that make it possible to ride it all without stopping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the great trip report and passion hit. Always wanted to ride CB, and I'm thinking of heading out this August. Thanks for stoking the fires!

mtbr member
    Do you mean coming out of the parking lot by the lake or where the actual trail starts? I'd guess if you rode the road up from Gothic you by-passed the little ST up from the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    Actually, after all that climbing on the road (which I certainly did at a comfortable pace), I thought the climb at the start of the singletrack was the toughest part of the ride! But that section of trail was very well built for bikers, because it gives you breathers along the way that make it possible to ride it all without stopping.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Whao! Double Rainbow Oh my Gah

All the way across the Sky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Do you mean coming out of the parking lot by the lake or where the actual trail starts? I'd guess if you rode the road up from Gothic you by-passed the little ST up from the parking lot.
    Are there options for how to start out on 401?

We parked at Rustler's Gulch (to be mid-way on the road-riding section), rode up the gravel road to the Schofield Pass sign, and jumped onto singletrack right across from the sign. The singletrack climbs for a while until the trees thin and you crest at a knoll (which might have a trail intersection--there was a group standing there and I wasn't able to see everything), at which point the descent starts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    Are there options for how to start out on 401?

We parked at Rustler's Gulch (to be mid-way on the road-riding section), rode up the gravel road to the Schofield Pass sign, and jumped onto singletrack right across from the sign. The singletrack climbs for a while until the trees thin and you crest at a knoll (which might have a trail intersection--there was a group standing there and I wasn't able to see everything), at which point the descent starts.
    That's how we do it when we ride that trail. Hmmm, then again, we've often just rode up from the house in town.

My other favorite is 403...........

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice pics SW!! ... as always.

We have a really special spanish journalist there in Crested Butte. He tells fantastic stories from CB.

Mr. Xavi Fane is an inspiration for many spanish bikers.

Nice ride from Spain!!

PRM

mtbr member
    awesome photos of CB. Love 'em!
    Feel free to check out my personal website, Greg Heil.com

Crainius Maximus
    Oct 2005
    Awesome pics!!!

Double rainbow all the way...woah!

No more slogans!
    I really fell into these pictures, just amazing! I have been wanting to ride CB for years, got ever so close after a full week of riding in Utah and on our way home to the Midwest. But thunderstorms rolled in and ruined our chance. Thanks for putting these up!
    Its bad luck to be superstitious.

fort wenty
    Beautiful, beautiful pictures! Inspiring too!
    Thanks for the passion hit and getting me even more psyched to ride after work and this weekend, unfortunately it won't be quite as epic as CB
    "Some people say they're going out on a training ride, I just say I'm going to play in the woods." Peaty

Get out and Ride!

code: mtbr2011
    yeah...crested butte rocks. we were just there last weekend. my wife hiked over from aspen on friday, and i drove our 14 month old over kebler that afternoon. i am told the flowers on the cb side of west maroon are ridiculous right now. we rode RFBD on saturday and then rode star pass/taylor pass back to aspen on sunday while my wife drove the car back.
    the terrain in c.b. is sweet, cause in pitkin county, all of that terrain is wilderness. but in gunnison county, all of that terrain is multi-use, so you can really get to some cool places on your bike.
    i'm looking forward to going back again next year and exploring more.

Members who have read this thread: 0