Creaking and squeking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Creaking and squeking

So i was riding my bike and it's only a month and a half old. It's a procaliber6. I went down a couple of stairs and and did some sidewalk jumps and suddenly after a creaking noise appeared. I immediatly stopped and checked. I dodnt know if its coming from rear hub or bb. What should i do

mtbr member
    Spend some time and isolate the problem..

mtbr member
    Don't look for it while riding! That's one of the best ways to crash a bicycle known to man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It looks like the rear hub is creaking do you know what it could be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbmalta View Post
    Probably the rear hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Probably the rear hub.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    It looks like or sounds like?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It sounds

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    . . . like the rear hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

No good in rock gardens..
    It's a process of elimination, generally.

If you think it's the rear hub or rear axle area, pull the rear axle, give it a light wipe of grease and reinstall it tight.

Another item at the back end that can gall and creak is the rear derailleur hanger.

Noise that originates from one area can transfer and sound like it's coming from another, also.

Most new bikes are assembled with very little or no grease or lube.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    But for $1900 it shouldn't start sounding horrible after taking a curb jump. My $270 bike squeaks and rattles too but it's $270 not $1900.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    But for $1900 it shouldn't start sounding horrible after taking a curb jump. My $270 bike squeaks and rattles too but it's $270 not $1900.
    every damn bike will squeak or creak if you ride it, get it dirty, and so on. Proper maintenance prevents most of it, but even then, getting the bike dirty (basically, if you ride mtb and your bike never gets dirty, you're doing it wrong) will eventually generate noises as that dirt works its way in. Also things will make noise as they wear out. Noises on your bike are a good indication that you should give your bike some love.

My FIRST ruleout for creaks is the seat/seatpost (regardless of where I "think" the noise is coming from). They'll do this as they get dirty. Take the hint to clean stuff off.

After that, as said before, it's a process of elimination.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Check to make sure you don't have a loose spoke or two.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    It's a process of elimination, generally.

If you think it's the rear hub or rear axle area, pull the rear axle, give it a light wipe of grease and reinstall it tight.

Another item at the back end that can gall and creak is the rear derailleur hanger.

Noise that originates from one area can transfer and sound like it's coming from another, also.

Most new bikes are assembled with very little or no grease or lube.
    This.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    But it's not a normal squek. It's like something is broken. Even when you stop pedaling it will creak.

mtbr member
    But it's not a normal squek. It's like something is broken.
    Probably something broken.

mtbr member
    The squeky wheel gets the grese.

mtbr member
    Well OP, given the fact that is a low end bike, just barely made for MTBing, and definitely not made fore hucking about on concrete and using a cheap rear hub, I'd guess you've most likely broken the rear axle, take it into the shop and ask them to check it for you.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The thing is I have a better mtb than yours😊

mtbr member
    The thing is I have a better mtb than yours😊
    Would you not be better riding that one then?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thats why i ride mine because its better

Snow Dog
    I wonder if whoever assembled it put the rear axel in the dropouts wrong and that snapped it...or if you landed the jump off camber (even a few degrees can make a huge difference on concrete) <- I have done that on BMX a few times in my life...where it was ME who put the wheel in wonky and also mis landed a jump....

are you sure that is wasn't the chain mis-linking onto the cassette teeth (also possibly due to the wheel not sitting straight in the dropouts?). I have had this happen on my MTB often after riding something with a lot of chatter...where it loosens the rear bolt, and the wheel sits off camber. I get more "Creaks" from this than anything else on the MTB
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

My bike does not creak or squeak at all.

It has In the past, The first two times It was the chain ring bolts and spacers.
    A super good cleaning, threads and all with some blue loctite and silence was restored.
    The third time, It was a slightly loose seat bolt, simple.

Had a buddy who's bike started handling poorly with some intermittent noise,
    He swore the back end felt wiggly, the back half of the bike !

His head set was loose, easy trail side fix but the adjustment failed to hold due to the slick steer tube/stem clamp area so we scuffed up the steer tube at the stem. This was a permanent fix and silence was restored again :P

The only sound I will allow/emmit Is my breathing, the wind, my ride bell to scare off the hogs and bears, the smacking of tree branches, freewheeling and the occasional fart when I'm pressing a hard climb.

Blowing off, farting, squeakers, trouser trumpets, windy pops or whatever, are natural, so don’t be embarrassed — the average human produces about half a litre of gas a day, distributed over an average of about 14 ‘incidences.’ But when mtb'ing up a steep hill I can blow the whole half liter in one revolution :P

“I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    Check to make sure you don't have a loose spoke or two.
    My money's on this...
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The wheel is perfictly aligned since i have through axle

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Before speculation on any other source, I would rule out the seatpost clamp and seat clamp. Especially on a Trek and especially if it is a quick release seatpost clamp.

mtbr member
    It's a month and a half old Trek, why not have the shop fix it?

As mentioned tracking down creaks is a process of elimination, for instance a seat/seatpost is often mentioned as a possible cause but if it still creaks when you stand up you can eliminate that as an issue right away.

But it's not a normal squek. It's like something is broken. Even when you stop pedaling it will creak.

That info rules out a bunch of things as potential issues like pedals, bb, chainring bolts, cassette, chain, etc. Could be that Isospeed decoupler thingy.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Well OP, given the fact that is a low end bike, just barely made for MTBing, and definitely not made fore hucking about on concrete and using a cheap rear hub, I'd guess you've most likely broken the rear axle, take it into the shop and ask them to check it for you.

Barely made for mountain biking? Seems like a pretty solid ride to me, I'd huck that off a 3 ft drop with no qualms.

It could be a broken axle but that seems unlikely to me.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Tomorrow im taking it to the shop to find out. But the thing is when liftedthe bike and turned the crnks to spin the wheel it will creak after couplu of turns

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    If you can’t figure it out than taking it to the shop is a good idea. However you should also be familiar with checking and maintaining basic things like the seatpost (yes they need maintenance too) and your thru-axles and dropouts. If you’re not comfortable with these things see if your mechanic at the shop will give you a few pointers. Basic maintenance goes a long way on a bike and can save you a ton of headaches and money in the future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My seat post is fixed with no quick release and the thru axles are well maintained . Tomorrow I will be going to the shop

since 4/10/2009
    My seat post is fixed with no quick release and the thru axles are well maintained . Tomorrow I will be going to the shop
    Doesn't matter. dirt gets behind the clamp, and between the post and the frame. It makes noise when that happens.

Sounds like going to the shop is for the best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Doesn't matter. dirt gets behind the clamp, and between the post and the frame. It makes noise when that happens.
    Not when you're out of the saddle
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Wow. $1900 is low-end, barely fit for mountain biking. So what is everything called under $1900, a hill bike? A gravel bike? A fire road bike?

I've rode off 1000's of concrete curbs with super cheap bikes and never, ever had a problem. That's what kids do with their $200 Walmart freewheel 9mm axeled bike every day in every city, all day long. Every bike, road or mountain, suspension or not, should handle a jump off a 6-8 inch curb. That's just basic quality control. $1900 should be able to do way more than a concrete curb without squeaking/cracking something, c'mon man...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    But LyNx is jelous that his bike is worst

Meatbomb
    Seat post creaks drive me crazy

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Not when you're out of the saddle
    touche

since 4/10/2009
    Wow. $1900 is low-end, barely fit for mountain biking. So what is everything called under $1900, a hill bike? A gravel bike? A fire road bike?

I've rode off 1000's of concrete curbs with super cheap bikes and never, ever had a problem. That's what kids do with their $200 Walmart freewheel 9mm axeled bike every day in every city, all day long. Every bike, road or mountain, suspension or not, should handle a jump off a 6-8 inch curb. That's just basic quality control. $1900 should be able to do way more than a concrete curb without squeaking/cracking something, c'mon man...
    I have a feeling Lynx had something else in his head when he posted his "entry level bike" comment.

Still. Sometimes stuff breaks. Even expensive stuff. Sometimes stuff gets dirty and makes noise. Even expensive stuff. mtbmalta doesn't have enough experience to figure it out himself, so going to a shop for help is the correct solution. Can't say much more beyond that at this point.

Urban assault riding on an xc bike will push the capabilities of the bike if you go too hard. Jumps in an urban environment are almost always landings to flat, and on a harder surface than most dirt, to boot, which will be hard on any bike. If your technique isn't right, or you're a bit heavy, you're going to punish your bike with that stuff.

And even on a $1900 bike, the wheels are going to be the weakest link, typically. Wheels are often the last components that get significant upgrades on bikes for different models. One reason I have built my own bikes for the last 2 I've owned. I've seen big guys break OEM wheels the first WEEKEND they owned the bike because they ride harder and clumsier than they spend.

mtbr member
    I'm fairly certain that in the OP, it originally said Xcal and not Pro-cal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    You need to think before you write because xcal and pro cal are two different bikes. They're not the same

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm fairly certain that in the OP, it originally said Xcal and not Pro-cal.
    Either way, your point was crap.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

since 4/10/2009
    You need to think before you write because xcal and pro cal are two different bikes. They're not the same
    Probably ought to get your own shit in order before giving crap to other people here. Glass houses and all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    First of all No one talked to you and secong I'm getting my shit in order and third he shouldn't say the bike is bad while his is worse

since 4/10/2009
    First of all No one talked to you and secong I'm getting my shit in order and third he shouldn't say the bike is bad while his is worse
    You will go far here with that kind of attitude.

mtbr member
    Isn't this thread going well? :0)

Yeet so hard
    I hope the OP walks into the shop with the same attitude he has in this thread. That should go well.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It was going well until he talked shit

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sure to get lots of help that way. Creaking? Take that big chip off your shoulder first. Dude. And really that is a junky bike. It creaks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Sure to get lots of help that way. Creaking? Take that big chip off your shoulder first. Dude. And really that is a junky bike. It creaks.
    Guy asks a legit question and gets some totally off-base bike-snob comment in return.
    Chip is justified IMO.

All my bikes creak. That's what happens when they get ridden.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Sorry to tell you but the thread is about the creak not my attitude. I only showed attitude when one of the people said that my bike was barely made for mtbing and that not true and there were others that agreed with me. When he said that i he thaught he seen xcal written instead of procal it wasnt even true because xcaliber 6 doesnt even exists. Then "harold" starting offending. I dont like showing my attitude but when others show it you know. Btw I gave my bike to the shop and he held it for inspections and I show him respect

mtbr member
    Sorry to tell you but the thread is about the creak not my attitude.
    Well, technically...

Only kidding! Keep me out of it!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Sorry but i never mentioned you

mtbr member
    Tighten your rear thru axle. They can creak after they loosen a bit. Happened on both of my Treks after the first couple of months of riding. Easy thing to try.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already. Didn't bother to read the whole thread.
    Veni vidi velo!

since 4/10/2009
    Sorry to tell you but the thread is about the creak not my attitude. I only showed attitude when one of the people said that my bike was barely made for mtbing and that not true and there were others that agreed with me. When he said that i he thaught he seen xcal written instead of procal it wasnt even true because xcaliber 6 doesnt even exists. Then "harold" starting offending. I dont like showing my attitude but when others show it you know. Btw I gave my bike to the shop and he held it for inspections and I show him respect
    lol, I started "offending"? sure, you're justified in calling out lynx...but you went from 0 to over the top in no time flat. his comment could easily have been mistaken and your initial response to him really warranted a much more nuanced approach.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    But you could said nothing and let him talk for him self

since 4/10/2009
    But you could said nothing and let him talk for him self
    or you could just relax.

doesn't matter what you post in places like this. the discussion will go on tangents. people will occasionally misread things. some people edit their posts after posting, but some people might have seen the original text and responded prior to the correction. etc, etc. spend some time here. you'll see how shit goes all over the place. you can't take things too seriously or personally, and going from 0 to defensive gets you nowhere fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Tighten your rear thru axle.
    Might as well check the front one too.

And maybe your top one.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Didn't bother to read the whole thread.
    Good move on your part.

Back on topic - creaking bikes will always exist and at any price.

I demo'd a $6900 Spec Carbon Epic a few days ago.

Quiet at the start of the ride. Had a creak at the end of the ride.

Every bike I've ever owned has creaked sooner or later.

Bottom bracket most commonly. Then seat and seatpost. Pedals. Headset. Even gritty cable ends galling in the end of the shifter.

IMO the very best way to eliminate creaks is to learn to work on your own bike - or your bike will spend a lot of time in the shop.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    I wasn't going to reply because I generally don't engage with 13 year olds, but you are just too much. I know I sometimes skim posts, but I'd pout hard money you originally wrote Xcal and then changed it, it was a mistake that you got your panties in such a bunch over. As to I am lying because they don't make an Xcal 6, WTF kid, you do know that unless you provide a link to your bike people are generally not going to waste their time looking it up to see the specs, right? I know the Xcal line, they have a straight 1.125" steerer, 7, 8 and I think the highest endmight have 9spd, i.e. Altus and such parts and 6lb "coil" sprung forks, i.e. not really designed for real trails or hucking on concrete.

I said exactly what I said because I too once had a "good bike" when I started and like a friend who rode told me, I basically destroyed it within a year because it was in fact basically a POS, I broke 2 rear axles.

Almost forgot to ask, when you said your bike is better than mine, which of my bikes were you referring to.................................... ?

I have a feeling Lynx had something else in his head when he posted his "entry level bike" comment.

Still. Sometimes stuff breaks. Even expensive stuff. Sometimes stuff gets dirty and makes noise. Even expensive stuff. mtbmalta doesn't have enough experience to figure it out himself, so going to a shop for help is the correct solution. Can't say much more beyond that at this point.

Urban assault riding on an xc bike will push the capabilities of the bike if you go too hard. Jumps in an urban environment are almost always landings to flat, and on a harder surface than most dirt, to boot, which will be hard on any bike. If your technique isn't right, or you're a bit heavy, you're going to punish your bike with that stuff.

And even on a $1900 bike, the wheels are going to be the weakest link, typically. Wheels are often the last components that get significant upgrades on bikes for different models. One reason I have built my own bikes for the last 2 I've owned. I've seen big guys break OEM wheels the first WEEKEND they owned the bike because they ride harder and clumsier than they spend.
    It was going well until he talked shit
    Last edited by LyNx; 04-11-2018 at 06:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I googled the bike when he did his first post. He did not change his post after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Void Ab Initio
    Could it be that Mtbmalta is actually the new, angrier and not quite as funny Picard?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack990 View Post
    Could it be that Mtbmalta is actually the new, angrier and not quite as funny Picard?
    I hope not

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You will go far here with that kind of attitude.
    Actually he will go far here with that attitude so don't egg him on lol. And tell him to get an e-bike and go into that forum, he will go very far in there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    First of all never changed or edited my post and second according to your account you have a Banshee PHANTOM 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    First of all never changed or edited my post and second according to your account you have a Banshee PHANTOM 29er
    So, where is the noise coming from?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Its at the bike shop 😕

Snow Dog
    I can't remember if this was asked...where did you get it? Did you get it from a dealer, online, or a big box store?

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I got it new from the bike shop

Snow Dog
    I got it new from the bike shop
    cool. I have read some other threads recently where someone bought a bike from a place where the people putting it together were not official mechanics, and had similar instances to yours. Just wanted to rule that out...

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Don't pay Harold any mind,he's new here and never contributes any worth while information or help

When you find out what it was make sure and let us know,,,inquiring minds and all..

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I will😉

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My bike shop replaced the rear hub cartridge because bearing where f****d

Snow Dog
    ah ha...problem solved? At least for now. Were they messed up b/c of the wierd landing after the jump, or were they messed up before?

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    Don't pay Harold any mind,he's new here and never contributes any worth while information or help

When you find out what it was make sure and let us know,,,inquiring minds and all..
    Yeah, I am a total waste of bandwidth on here.

Not too surprised by the bearings being the problem. Bigger, more aggressive riders are often very hard on hubs and they blow through bearings even on expensive hubs. Especially the bearings in the freehub. Cheap hubs stand no chance against folks like that. And even bikes costing several thousand often still have fairly cheap hubs, unfortunately. Hubs are usually one of the last things that gets an upgrade on complete bikes.

It's even worse for fatbikes, for a number of reasons.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    ah ha...problem solved? At least for now. Were they messed up b/c of the wierd landing after the jump, or were they messed up before?
    At this point, it is probably impossible to say.

Snow Dog
    Yeah, I am a total waste of bandwidth on here.
    that's going to be my new insult: " your'e a total waste of bandwidth"

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    that's going to be my new insult: " your'e a total waste of bandwidth"
    So I actually am useful for something!

Snow Dog

you will iive in infamy here in my circles!

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member

Well ya proved me wrong lol

Pro Crastinator
    new skoors usually solves my creaking issues..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    new skoors usually solves my creaking issues..
    It's pronounced screwers,,,fyi

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    It's pronounced screwers,,,fyi
    or skyours if you are from Southern Ohio

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!