Cracked my frame today- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Cracked my frame today

They say buyers beware and today I proved that point. Picked up a 99 Jamis Dakar off ebay last fall, put it together over the winter and today I cracked it. I've ridden it maybe 8 times. Not looking for any told you sos cause I'm already telling that to my self enough.

Let me know of any of you that have had good experiences from ebay so I'm not burnt on the whole thing. One thing is for sure, no more used frames for me.

Checked ebay and all of the Fetish cycles that were all over a couple of months ago are gone. Really not looking forward to going back to a hardtail.

Come on, give it to me, I deserve it.

banned
    Apr 2004

The only good thing about cracking a frame,

Quote Originally Posted by jakey
    They say buyers beware and today I proved that point. Picked up a 99 Jamis Dakar off ebay last fall, put it together over the winter and today I cracked it. I've ridden it maybe 8 times. Not looking for any told you sos cause I'm already telling that to my self enough.

Let me know of any of you that have had good experiences from ebay so I'm not burnt on the whole thing. One thing is for sure, no more used frames for me.

Checked ebay and all of the Fetish cycles that were all over a couple of months ago are gone. Really not looking forward to going back to a hardtail.

shopping for a new one. What are you going to get? Just remember you can't put a price on health, excercise now means less doctor visits later down the road.

ballbuster

Iirc...

Dakars up to around 2002 had CroMo Steel rear triangles. Did the rear triangle crack? If so, maybe you can get it fixed.

Dakar is a good frame, but earlier ones were prone to cracking, so I hear. Check with Jamis, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll warranty it. I know you are not the original owner, but I find many bike companies are willing to hook you up anyway, just to land a customer for life. Be nice, and see where it gets you.

Jan 2004

Front Triangle

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Dakars up to around 2002 had CroMo Steel rear triangles. Did the rear triangle crack? If so, maybe you can get it fixed.

Dakar is a good frame, but earlier ones were prone to cracking, so I hear. Check with Jamis, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll warranty it. I know you are not the original owner, but I find many bike companies are willing to hook you up anyway, just to land a customer for life. Be nice, and see where it gets you.
    Right at the seat tube pivot. Going to call Jamis, praying they will hook me up with at least a discount. Actually trying to convince the wife that if I got one of those Supergo burners this won't happen again.

Funny thing is, when I bought this bike I thought to myself, I don't ride hard, I don't need to worry about cracking the frame or anything.

mtbr member

Why say it was a bad Ebay experience...

Just because the frame cracked after 8 rides doesn't mean you bought a damaged bike.
    Could be you just cracked a frame that you bought in good shape.
    Now if it cracked after the first ride I would say you bought a bad frame.
    Just a thought.

Did you inspect the frame when you first received it? If not, there is your bad experience.

KMan

indigosky

Check out..

Universal Cycles has a $89 True Temper frame called the Phobia, that would get you back in the game for cheap.

Rollin' a fatty
    My ebay frame buying experience has been good. My last purchase was last fall, a brand new VT2 frame with warranty.

I also had a Dakar (01 Expert) that cracked (head tube near the lower headset cup) and JensonUSA did whatever was needed to get it replaced. I sold on ebay the replacement and will never buy anything from Jamis again, their CS sucks!

Jan 2004

That is true it could be not so bad

Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    Just because the frame cracked after 8 rides doesn't mean you bought a damaged bike.
    Could be you just cracked a frame that you bought in good shape.
    Now if it cracked after the first ride I would say you bought a bad frame.
    Just a thought.

Did you inspect the frame when you first received it? If not, there is your bad experience.

KMan
    I inspected the frame after my last ride as I got kinda muddy and I spent some time cleaning it thoroughly.

I'm starting to feel a bit better about it now and the $89 True temper frame sounds like something I will check out to get me back in action.

Thanks all.

Tame the Penguin!

Maybe one more....

I've heard that the '99-2000 Jamis frames were prone to breaking but they went through some design changes in '01 and bumped up their quality control from what I've read. I purchased a large 2002 Jamis Komodo in '03 on a closeout deal through Jenson. The frame is wicked light as it's made of Easton tubing, the welds are very clean, and the paint job just rocks. I've ridden the bike only as XC, I've never done any 'drops' with it, and it's been well taken care of.

I decided to get into SS'ing and was going to build it up, however, I decided that I wanted a true SS frame and went with a Kona Unit. I sold the build kit off the Jamis and now it's just hanging in my garage with a 'as new' Shimano ES-71 bb in it. If you are interested, I could make you deal on it if you aren't too afraid to try another used frame. All I can do is say that mine isn't cracked and it rides like it's on rails.

Attached is a pic.

--Sean
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by El Beastro; 05-06-2004 at 08:45 AM.

Jan 2004

Sean that is way cool

But I need a medium.

Thanks anyway man, that is super cool.

Tame the Penguin!

No Prob....

But I need a medium.

No problem....just trying to hook a brotha up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey, that's my 5 Spot in the background :)

But I need a medium.

Hey, I bought a used Supergo Access 03 XCL frame that I was going to build up as an SS....but when Sean decided to get a dedicated SS...welll the upgrade-itis spread So I also bought a Kona Unit frame. Anywho, I have a 16" blue Supergo Access frame that I need to sell. If interested, let me know. btw, the frame is very light.

-ron

bi-winning

I say the same thing

I thought to myself, I don't ride hard, I don't need to worry about cracking the frame or anything.
    I always say that to myself too , so far so good though

PITY THE FOOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Beastro
    I've heard that the '99-2000 Jamis frames were prone to breaking but they went through some design changes in '01 and bumped up their quality control from what I've read. I purchased a large 2002 Jamis Komodo in '03 on a closeout deal through Jenson. The frame is wicked light as it's made of Easton tubing, the welds are very clean, and the paint job just rocks. I've ridden the bike only as XC, I've never done any 'drops' with it, and it's been well taken care of.

I decided to get into SS'ing and was going to build it up, however, I decided that I wanted a true SS frame and went with a Kona Unit. I sold the build kit off the Jamis and now it's just hanging in my garage with a 'as new' Shimano ES-71 bb in it. If you are interested, I could make you deal on it if you aren't too afraid to try another used frame. All I can do is say that mine isn't cracked and it rides like it's on rails.

Attached is a pic.

--Sean
    No offense but I'd never buy an XC frame off a guy wearing a full face and armour while on the XC bike.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Jan 2004

Yeah, I'd be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by cytoe
    Hey, I bought a used Supergo Access 03 XCL frame that I was going to build up as an SS....but when Sean decided to get a dedicated SS...welll the upgrade-itis spread So I also bought a Kona Unit frame. Anywho, I have a 16" blue Supergo Access frame that I need to sell. If interested, let me know. btw, the frame is very light.

-ron
    PM me to let me know what you want for it.

Thanks, really cool of ya.

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by troy
    No offense but I'd never buy an XC frame off a guy wearing a full face and armour while on the XC bike.
    Oh please....bleeding hearts unite!!!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

i second that....

Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    Universal Cycles has a $89 True Temper frame called the Phobia, that would get you back in the game for cheap.

i've had one of those frames (bike then got ripped off. grrrr.) it's a very nice riding/handling frame. and steel. and fairly light for it, too. and for $89, how can you go wrong? i'd buy one again.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper