Council to discuss Mtn. Biking on Mt. Fromme (N. Vancouver)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Council to discuss Mtn. Biking on Mt. Fromme (N. Vancouver)

Sorry if someone else has already posted this, but I think it's an important enough issue to post twice:

http://www.nsmb.com/shore_news/crist_02_04.php

The gist is: the N. Vancouver city council is meeting TONIGHT (3/1) to discuss a plan that could potentially designate Mt. Fromme as "hiker only." It gives me a sad empty feeling at the pit of my stomach to think about losing those trails, even though I only get up there once a year, knowing they're there keeps me going the whole rest of the year! I wrote my email to all the council members, and I hope those of you who enjoy riding the North Shore, or just enjoy the idea that there IS a North Shore will do the same. Check this NSMB thread out, there's some very eloquent letters posted there. Here's my version- not as eloquent as many of the others, but it's something:

-----------------------------

I am writing to express concern over an issue which will apparently be discussed during your March. 1 Council meeting: mountain biking on Mt. Fromme. It is my grave concern that the Council might restrict or even eliminate mountain biking in this area. Although I am not a citizen of Vancouver, nor even of Canada, I have made and will hopefully continue to make yearly visits to Vancouver (from my home in California) for the purpose of enjoying these amazing trails. Vancouver is privileged to have access to such an astounding natural environment, which is uniquely suited to mountain biking. The trails which exist in this area are second to none, and it would be a great loss if these trails disappeared. Further, the economy of North Vancouver would surely suffer as a result of the loss of what must be significant income from traveling mountain bikers.

Surely, there must be a viable option that could allow all trail users and local residents to live and play in harmony. I understand and appreciate the concerns of local residents who are impacted by the parking situation, but there must be some solution to this issue (alternative parking sites, etc.). As for trail user conflicts, there are a vast multitude of land management precedents which seek to encompass all users. The answer should not be to exclude one particular user group without first trying to discover a solution that would be more amenable to a majority of users. The suggestion that mountain biking should be relocated to a more remote environment suggests that mountain biking is a somehow inferior activity which should be marginalized by creating a plan which is exclusive to mountain bikers rather than one which is inclusive to a variety of trail users. I am confident that with effort and cooperation between the various interest groups, a compromise can be reached.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Sincerely,

Scott Fischbein
    Sacramento, California

There's no app for this.

well covered already

check posts from last week. Jim

Yummy
    I think that's a very well-written letter. As to how things go, I'll know after I've attended the council meeting tonight.

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Unfortunately, Ina & I have an event on Monday evening we have already bought and paid for, otherwise we would both be at the meeting.

My wife Ina did write up a great letter as per Sharon's request. I've attached it here for your interest.

Craig

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2004 February 27

RE: MOUNTAIN VIEW PARK STUDY

Dear Mr. Mayor and City Councillors:

We are writing to express our concern over the lack of resolution of the issue of Mountain View Park in North Vancouver.

We appreciate the hard work put in by North Vancouver District staff to consult the public regarding this Park. Public parks belong to everyone, not just the neighbourhood they are located within. Whether we are residents of North Vancouver or other communities, tourists or athletes in training, we all need to work together to come up with solutions that will work best for all of us and ensure the integrity of the ecosystem is maintained.

The Staff proposal was well thought out. It suggested the most viable option that resulted from discussions with the public (July 24th meeting) and comments on the initial proposed solution of the option between two different trails (Oct. 29th meeting). The proposed option included one multi-use trail or two trails - one for hikers and dog walkers, one for bikes.

Over 100 Park users attended these meetings and we all agreed that the pond should be protected and a well defined trail built to protect the sensitive areas. As park users, we fully support protecting the environment in such a way that all users can enjoy the beauty of our natural surroundings for years to come.

For such a small area, the time frame for this solution has been incredibly long. The proposed options mentioned above would be easy to implement. Fewer resources should have been committed to this task.

This is an important access point for all users to Mt. Fromme. The sooner the trail is built the sooner the area will be protected. Once this area has been resolved the larger task of reviewing the Complete Alpine Recreational Area can be addressed.

As avid mountain bikers ourselves, we have enjoyed having access to the trails on Mt. Fromme for many years. Although we live in Vancouver, we visit the North Shore an average of one to two times per week throughout the year to mountain bike (and to hike as well). We have always enjoyed ourselves and have never encountered any issues with other users of the park (or any other park in B.C. for that matter). In fact, the true seems opposite whether they are hikers, dog walkers, trail runners or other mountain bikers, other park users usually share a friendly smile or word.

My husband and I hope to live in North Vancouver in the future, and a big part of that decision is to be closer to the recreational opportunities available to us on the North Shore.

We look forward to the resolution that continues to keep this park and other areas open to all users, and ensures the ecosystem is managed appropriately.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Ina & Craig Hunt

(contact info snipped)

Knolly posted a report of what happened at the meeting here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...64689#poststop

mtbr member

Council report up on www.NSMB.com

Copied from DH/FR forum:

OK, I should be in bed, but I noticed that this just popped up on www.nsmb.com. It gives a nice write up of the evening's events.

http://www.nsmb.com/shore_news/crist2_03_04.php

One interesting point is that the picture that shows the coucil room full of people probably shows about one quarter of the actual number of people there. You can see the knees of my beige pants just a bit to the right and below the "nose" on the large face on the left of the picture :)
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

Thanks Noel. I sent the meeting report link out to the Out-Spoken ride list. (The Thurs. evening & Sunday morning ride list.)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Out-Spoken/

Des(s)ert Rat
    Thanks for the update. Sounds like the meeting was a chalk mark for the mountainbikes. The frog lady sure sounds like an interesting character... Sounds like Ernie needs to get off the council. Good luck to you all!

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    The frog lady sure sounds like an interesting character.
    You should have heard "tunnel man" rant just after her (on an unrelated issue). We could use someone like him. I wonder how we could sign him up.

I think Nigel, the 17-year old trailbuilder (he's been building trails since he was 15), made a big impression too. D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.