Thread: Chunk Jr.

Powered by ice cream.

Chunk Jr.

I took little E out to the new mellow "Dells Light" trail to see how he could do in some mildly technical terrain.

He did surprisingly well in the chunky parts, and better than fine on the climbs. I am most pleased with how his brake control on the descents is improving. I won't say I wasn't a little bit worried about a yard sale on some of the tech sections, but big wheels, low COG and low body weight can cover over a lot of sloppiness.

Fun was had.

https://img853.imageshack.us/img853/929/img07951924145.jpg
    First tech section....passed.

https://img571.imageshack.us/img571/560/img07992017588.jpg
    https://img571.imageshack.us/img571/9809/img07981999798.jpg
    https://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2730/img08002044179.jpg

https://img135.imageshack.us/img135/3346/img07961964144.jpg

He went back to clean this about five times before getting it.

https://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5394/img08012060775.jpg
    https://img861.imageshack.us/img861/5828/img08022073285.jpg

Sometimes it ain't gonna happen.

https://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4448/img07971980705.jpg

It wasn't all tech.
    https://img31.imageshack.us/img31/5145/img08032087670.jpg
    https://img857.imageshack.us/img857/1608/img08051888304.jpg

Time to head down and hit a few tech sections:

I'm proud of the ratchet pedaling in that one

Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

I like bikes
    Way cool!

wannabee
    Very cool post. SkilZ!

mtbr member
    That's awesome! Looks like a really fun place to play around.

RHRF!
    So I guess he's now your 'Chunk-ster'...

Great Job Little E!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Nice job! We need some details.

How old is your son?

Looks like a single speed, right?

What size wheels? Looks like 26"? What's the bike weigh?

Thanks.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Really I am that slow
    awesome
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Seriously kickass!!! Is your son around 7 - 10 years old??? Both my 4.8 and 6.3 year olds just watched those videos and were showing enthusiasm toward one day riding terrain like that.
    Uh oh! Someone just stole your KOM!

EDR
    Wow that's pretty darn cool. I've been out to the Dells and that aint no playground. Well, it is..but you know what I mean. I think Ken B. from Pivot (and a local Phoenix rider) has a very impressive video on the Pivot site featuring The Dells.

Good job guys.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Nice job! We need some details.

How old is your son?

Looks like a single speed, right?

What size wheels? Looks like 26"? What's the bike weigh?

Thanks.
    SS (he has tried gears, prefers SS, I think it is better for early riders)
    26"
    24lbs...so about 35% of rider weight

He is a pretty persistent kid as demonstrated a few months ago:

I was sort of surprised to see this part of his personality because he is very easy going and non-competitive normally. It really bugs him if he can't ride something though.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Really I am that slow
    always love seeing kiddos out doing it! Enel always welcome(and your mini-me) this way if you wanna get away from your chunk and come play on some SW utah chunk....
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    SS (he has tried gears, prefers SS,

I was sort of surprised to see this part of his personality because he is very easy going and non-competitive normally. It really bugs him if he can't ride something though.
    Man that is cool! He is throwing rocks with his power through his wheels. Thanks, I really liked seeing this!!!
    Reading Features...
    Cracking Features...
    Assembling Features...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    SS (he has tried gears, prefers SS, I think it is better for early riders)
    26"
    24lbs...so about 35% of rider weight

Yeah, I was thinking he was only 9 or 10. He is way more advanced technically than my 12 year-old. I need to show him this video.

I'll bet my son's 24" Specialized Hot Rock with 21 gears and pretend suspension fork is pushing 30 lbs easy.....and yet I have a devil of a time getting him to shift (he prefers to stand and mash up hills) and that fork is useless and probably heavy. Maybe SS rigid is the way to go.

Other ways to lighten up his bike? Do they make folding bead tires for 24" wheels. His are wearing out and all I could find in the shops in Moab were wire bead pigs.

I saw an XS titus RacerX for sale in the classifieds the other day for $1400 that weighed only 21lbs. I was really tempted to get it for him. If he was showing a little more commitment to it and I didn't think he was going to grow 4-5 more inches over then next two years, I think I'd have done it.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Yeah, I was thinking he was only 9 or 10. He is way more advanced technically than my 12 year-old. I need to show him this video.

I'll bet my son's 24" Specialized Hot Rock with 21 gears and pretend suspension fork is pushing 30 lbs easy.....and yet I have a devil of a time getting him to shift (he prefers to stand and mash up hills) and that fork is useless and probably heavy. Maybe SS rigid is the way to go.

Other ways to lighten up his bike? Do they make folding bead tires for 24" wheels. His are wearing out and all I could find in the shops in Moab were wire bead pigs.

I saw an XS titus RacerX for sale in the classifieds the other day for $1400 that weighed only 21lbs. I was really tempted to get it for him. If he was showing a little more commitment to it and I didn't think he was going to grow 4-5 more inches over then next two years, I think I'd have done it.

Small block 8's in 24" are a pretty light tire... google bmx cruiser tires and you well have lotsa of options krob
    Read my BLOG!

banned
    Sep 2007
    Like Father, like Son. The kids got talent... and a great teacher too.