Thread: A breezy ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

A breezy ride

I just got back from a ride in the wind. I was able to hit 38mph on flat, and 44mph on a slight downhill with the wind at my back. I would have gone faster, but the straight sections of road are too short, and I felt unstable since I don't normally ride a road bike. It was kind of disappointing actually, since I've gone just as fast on the same section on my mountain bike, in calmer conditions.

Going into the wind was interesting. I was in the lowest gear, tucked in an aero position pedaling almost all out and at times I couldn't maintain 6mph on level pavement.

When I got back I checked our weather station, and the max recorded gust was 70mph and occurred minutes before I left, and there were sustained winds of 50mph at times.
    Matt

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I know how you feel. It's just not as enjoyable with all the wind and crappy weather we have had lately. My girlfriend and I do a lot of road biking but haven't been able to get out much lately
    '11 Specialized Crux Pink SS
    '15 Trek Farley 6 Fat Bike
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '12 Specialized Crux Skittles

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I never said it wasn't enjoyable. I was simply disappointed that I couldn't go faster! I went out with the expectation that it would be miserable, and aside from my hands and ears going numb from the cold, it was not bad at all. Plus, the weather when I went was much better than just a few hours before when it was raining, so I was glad to be able to ride at all.

My goal this summer is to ride as many days as possible. So far I've been biking every day for a week, and I'll see how long I can keep it up. I just got back from six miles of mountain biking today.
    Matt

Members who have read this thread: 0