mtbr member

Breathtaking Colorado

Yep Literally - I fly into Denver yesterday from England (Sea Level)

And today drove up to 10000ft at Kenosha Pass and rode up to Georgia Pass 11872 ft accoridng to my gps then came back via the jefferson trail

25 miles with my stops to gasp for air and take pictures took me 7hrs !!

Some excellent single track and great views - the jeffeson trail was great fun twisty singletrack - that didnt see as much traffic as the colorado trail

Breathtaking Colorado-profile.jpg

Heres some pics from the ride - i'll post more when i do the full trip report at end of holiday

Heading up to Georgia Pass
    Breathtaking Colorado-k2.jpg

Breathtaking Colorado-k3.jpg

Down the Jefferson trail
    Breathtaking Colorado-j3.jpg

Back along the CT
    Breathtaking Colorado-kr3.jpg

The aspen sections were great - any got any suggestions for good singletrack routes in Aspen forests ?

Heres my schedule if any ones able to join me for a ride give me a shout.. - as long as you dont mind me stopping to take loads of pictures..
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

suggestions for St. George area

While in St George you should definitely ride Gooseberry Mesa and JEM trails. Gooseberry is one of best riding areas in US. Narrows hike is great, so is Angels Landing, even better is Subway (it helps to know how to rappel) or Keyhole canyon (you MUST know how to rappel). You can rent canyoneering equip. and get info at outfitter in Springdale.

mtbr member
    I wish I could join you at Hartman Rocks and CB, but like most I have to work. Enjoy the valley and make sure and stop by Rock n Roll Sports for some local trail knowledge before hitting up Hartmans.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman
    While in St George you should definitely ride Gooseberry Mesa and JEM trails. Gooseberry is one of best riding areas in US. Narrows hike is great, so is Angels Landing, even better is Subway (it helps to know how to rappel) or Keyhole canyon (you MUST know how to rappel). You can rent canyoneering equip. and get info at outfitter in Springdale.
    thx but i prefer little creek to goosebury , and the last time i rode the jemtrail it was so rutted up from cow hooves i decided not to ride it again..

I'll look into those canyons you have mentioned though thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikenBeer
    I wish I could join you at Hartman Rocks and CB, but like most I have to work. Enjoy the valley and make sure and stop by Rock n Roll Sports for some local trail knowledge before hitting up Hartmans.
    thanks - already got a friendly local showing me the hartmans rocks trails on thursday

Big Gulps, Alright!
    You pretty much have it nailed with that itinerary...
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zinger-uk
    last time i rode the jemtrail it was so rutted up from cow hooves i decided not to ride it again..
    Yeah, cow caused post holes would definitely spoil the flow on JEM. That's not the norm there though and it is a very fun flowy trail worth another look sometime..... but it you have only one day in the Hurricane area (and only have legs enough for one ride) I wouldn't trade Little Creek for JEM. Doing both is possible though.

Glad you didn't suffer any altitude sickness witht hat first day itinerary. Whew.. that route would be killer going directely from a long flight from sea level.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Looks like you have another great trip under way Grordon. Look forward to seeing it unfold I had too much work on to do one this year and my crew are about to go without me
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

EDR
    Wow, quite an impressive itinerary. I see you have one day in Phoenix. If that's the case come play on National at South Mountain and forget Pima/Dynamite. Natty is just one of those trails you must ride if you make it down this far.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Wow, quite an impressive itinerary. I see you have one day in Phoenix. If that's the case come play on National at South Mountain and forget Pima/Dynamite. Natty is just one of those trails you must ride if you make it down this far.

Have fun!
    I might do south mountain as a night ride on friday - but I wouldnt miss the trails at Pima & Dynamite - which I think are great -> fast swoopy dippy rolling single track

mtbr member
    "The aspen sections were great - any got any suggestions for good singletrack routes in Aspen forests ?"

You already have the Deer Creek trail in Crested Butte on your list- you'll get plenty of aspen on that ride. You might even see some fall color, there were some yellow patches on the higher slopes this weekend. If you like riding in thin air you'll get lots of that, too. I think I almost passed out on one of the climbs, and had an altitude buzz going for most of the ride. It was great
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

CEO Product Failure
    You will sleep good on the flight home.

Members who have read this thread: 0