I'm a dog person

Best bike product...

My mom-in-law gave me a Performance gift card even though I almost never shop at Performance. I broke my torque wrench so i'm going to order a new one. I still have $100 left on the gift card after ordering the wrench.

So, here's the thing. I'm at a loss as to what to spend it on. What one bike thing do you have that you would call the "best/most useful/most enjoyable/saved your bacon/don't know what you'd do without it" for less than $100?
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

5,280 feet
    Bike-related?

Probably my Camelbak, but I'm guessing you already have one

Failing that, how about a truing stand: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
    My girlfriend recently told me that I have a one-track mind.
    I corrected her and said, "Actually, honey, the term is single track."

oh Lucky me
    A GOOD OLD FASHIONED MAP AND MINI MAG LIGHT!!!

dont get me wrong, i got some 'bling' on the bike...gps, computer, bike light, mini pump, etc etc...

but the one that will ALWAYS save your arse, that is almost always overlooked, is a old fashioned paper map with a flashlight...rubber band the map around the flashlight and your good to go!

oh definately my camelbak, maybe some TP and matches
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

(not that fast)
    More rubber

i really like the thought of having as many different tire choices laying around the garage as possible.

EDR
    a couple of SRAM Powerlinks. Makes trail side chain repairs instant. 4 bucks each .

mtbr member
    I'm gonna go with tires too. Not the most exciting but add versatility and good traction, and lets face it a lot of the good ones are expensive. Got new tires for the wifes Volvo wagon for 70 bucks a peice. Thats about what Schwalbes go for now. Whats wrong with that picture?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    what about a new helmet (if yours is a few years old it might be time to replace it)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    it would cover most of the cost of a decent stand if you dont already have one
    Brian <---- that would be me.

SHIFT_life

Lone Wolf McQuade

multi tool....co2/hand pump....wheel bag

....chain breaker, knife, hex/rotor wrench's...a multi tool is one of those things you really don't think of but you're glad you have it when siht happens! I have this co2/hand pump, I've been very happy with it. I use the wheel bags all the time for my dusty front mountain tire and one for my dirty road tire...it'll save the inside of your car...my 2 cents

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=4217

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4362

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5311
    I should be out riding....

Rolling
    I actually do like buying shorts and jerseys at performance...Everyone needs some new dress stuff right?

If you can't find something, send that to me and I will take care of your dilemma.

BTW, Performance has another sale starting this weekend--so don't burn it before my birthday on friday.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Munchies: Gu, Cytomax etc. Crap that costs $ but isn't too exciting. Then, Performance isn't the most exciting place.
    Don't harsh my mello

banned
    I'll go with work stand or truing stand...

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Just about any tool you find yourself needing is likely a good idea.

You could also replace your chain and cassette. Good idea when it comes to future proofing.
    ~ it's all good ~

Afric Pepperbird
    A really cool bell and/or horn

mtbr member
    My favorite LBS Circle Cycles in Torrance, Ca, was bought out by Performance, after buying a bike and some clothing, I no longer go their.
    Thje Performance tire tubes I bought came from the factory with holes already in them! and their shock pumps are the same. Their apparel is not really that good. For the same price I prefer Fox Racing.

Stick to the major name brands, you might want to look at the WTB Lazer V ti saddles. very nice for about 100., Oakley Sun glasses, or Giro helmets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybeer
    the "best/most useful/most enjoyable/saved your bacon/don't know what you'd do without it" for less than $100?
    Real "bacon-savers":

Do you have a cell phone?

I'd say GPS, but you'll be in for $200 for a good, yet cheap one.

First-aid kit?

Do you have a bike computer?

Do you have rain gear?

Here's one. A singleator. Yep. If you're out on an epic and totally frag your rear dérailleur,
    what are you gonna do? I pack an extra rear d, but you could get away with a singleator.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    HTR4EVR good list! Work stand is always handy if you turn your own wrenches, and the Spin Doctor from performance is a decent truing stand for the home mechanic. Takes me a long time to tension evenly, get proper dish ect but I just pop a beer, set up in the shade and take my time. With 4 riders and 9 bikes in the family I deal with a few wobbly wheels...

I'm a dog person
    Thanks for all of the input. Good ideas (especially Dirt Farmer's horn idea). I ended up going w/ the torque wrench, a truing stand (thanks, Screamin), replaced my 10 year old Alien w/ a Crank Bros. Multi-17, a new chain tool (Beagledadi), and some schrader/presta adapters for my air compressor when I'm redoing my Stan's Notubes.

I really liked the Singleator. I've had luck in the past just adjusting the chain length and running a single speed, but the Singleator would make life much easier. Too bad Performance doesn't carry it.

Thanks again, all.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

uhhhhhyea
    I'm cheap and renowned for my deal finding abilities, so my list is relatively long:

- GPS - CE based so for 100 bucks, it runs any of the excellent GPS software for that platform

- Agree with camelbak. Mine cost a grand total of 34 dollars though

- my Avid BB7's, 185mm front 160mm rear. ok, ok, that was $105... but i love 'em to death

- approximately 5 gallons of homemade GU (Honey + Molasses + pinch of salt)

Bloody Bastard
    Performance sells some good stuff. With a 100 gift card I'd probably get a new Primal jersey, another pair of biking shoes or whatever apparel I could find on clearance.

- factotum -
    Quote Originally Posted by rushtrack
    what about a new helmet (if yours is a few years old it might be time to replace it)
    What is the logic behind that gift?
    If your m-i-l doesn't like you she wants you to spend the money on bike parts so that you get to ride more. This leads to more opportunities for accidents to happen to you...

Ask yourself: Does your mom-in-law actually like you?

If not: buy a good helmet and good gloves.

If yes: Buy something for your wife, so that she can ride with you.

Members who have read this thread: 0