Trail Ninja

Before and after photos

For those who have been biking for a while, a few months, a year, or several years, post how biking has changed you or how your biking has changed over time. Have your slimmed down your beer belly? Did you start racing big time? Did you progress from riding tame XC stuff to crazy FR stuff? Did you lose a few teeth or gained some really bad scars from biking related accidents? Have you picked up a bad habit on spending all your money on bikes? Did you change your life to revolve around bikes, such as start your own bike business?

I'll start off (prob not gonna be impressive, since I only have 1 year of true experience really):

Before: I found real trails about 1 year ago. I used to live in FL and overseas and primarily used my bike to commute, but this is the fit time I felt a need for knobby tires on dirt. The trails in NY were still soggy after snow melt and that blizzard late February did a lot of damage to the trees/trails. I then got really into it when I rode with some guys from Fats in the Cats and got fired up for gnarly stuff by the guys at Beacon Cycles.

After: I moved next winter to SoCal and got introduced to a lot of great folks that love riding. Here's one of the biggest group rides I participated in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Before and after photos-beforeafter1a.jpg  

Before and after photos-beforeafter1b.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'll play. I was a chubbie little bastard.

Before:

After:

2nd from right:

Unpredictable
    Cycling refreshes your mind and your body.

It is s hard though, answering this thread. More than 40 years ago I watched my sister take her first ride in front of Mum and Dad - straight off a 1.5m wall to flat concrete. I was loving my ride long before that happened.

Since then I have ridden some of the most beautiful places, loved a smallish number of bikes, given most away when I moved on, cause it just doesn't seem right to sell your friends, increased my skills, learned to love the solitude and company in the bush and I still think more about MTB than I have time for in reality.

If there was a picture of this story, it would be pretty f'n rad :arf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robncircus
    2nd from right:
    did you really think you had to tell us which one you are (with the tattoos and all)?
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The real journey to weight loss started in December of 09. Back in 2000 I weighed in close to 375lbs. At age 25 I had a list of complications one of them being sleep apnea. Lost about 100bs got off my breathing machine and was convinced that I was fine but still needing to lose additional weight. Time moved on my daughter was born in 05 and in December of 09 something hit me and 375lbs was staring to make its way back. Long story short My Wife and I made a commitment to ourselves and we were both done living the unhealthy lives we were living. Went to Weight Watchers and in September of 09 I had lost a total of 140lbs a grand total of 210lbs and my Wife lost 95lbs right by my side. Since than I have run a 1/2 Marathon, Climbed to the top of Mount Whitney and have just recently found the passion of riding. Mountain biking gives me all that I'm looking for. Time out doors, a great workout and that sense of accomplishment with the reward of bombing down the trail and I can't get enough of it

Before
    Before and after photos-before-after-2.jpg
    After
    Before and after photos-dsc04582.jpg
    Before and after photos-p1000154.jpg
    Last edited by Danny P; 04-24-2011 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    did you really think you had to tell us which one you are (with the tattoos and all)?
    haha didn't even think of that. Doh!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny P
    The real journey to weight loss started in December of 09. Back in 2000 I weighed in close to 375lbs. At age 25 I had a list of complications one of them being sleep apnea. Lost about 100bs got off my breathing machine and was convinced that I was fine but still needing to lose additional weight. Time moved on my daughter was born in 05 and in December of 09 something hit me and 375lbs was staring to make its way back. Long story short My Wife and I made a commitment to ourselves and we were both done living the unhealthy lives we were living. Went to Weight Watchers and in September of 09 I had lost a total of 140lbs a total of 210lbs and my Wife lost 95lbs right by my side. Since than I have run a 1/2 Marathon, Climbed to the top of Mount Whitney and have just recently found the passion of riding. Mountain biking gives me all that I'm looking for. Time out doors, a great workout and that sense of accomplishment with the reward of bombing down the trail and I can't get enough of it
    You look great man well done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks! I feel great

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No kidding! Way to go DannyP.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks! I feel great
    That's great Danny P. A lot of hard work and discipline I'm sure!

mtbr member
    in September of 09 I had lost a total of 140lbs a grand total of 210lbs and my Wife lost 95lbs right by my side.
    You both Rock

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Wow Danny, good for you

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Both of you did great, but Danny holy crap man! Hard to even believe that's the same person. Way to go.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Big Props!

Thanks! I feel great
    Hey Mr. Danny P,

That is amazing!! Please don’t take this the wrong way…however with the loss in weight and the loss of the moustache I found it hard to see that the first picture and the last picture were taken of the same person. That said, in the last shot you look to be way happier than you did in the first picture!!!

As the Aussie’s say: Good on Ya, Mate!!!

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eville140
    You both Rock
    Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    Wow Danny, good for you

Matt
    Thanks Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    Both of you did great, but Danny holy crap man! Hard to even believe that's the same person. Way to go.
    Totally not the same person. I'm So Alive!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead
    Hey Mr. Danny P,

That is amazing!! Please don’t take this the wrong way…however with the loss in weight and the loss of the moustache I found it hard to see that the first picture and the last picture were taken of the same person. That said, in the last shot you look to be way happier than you did in the first picture!!!

As the Aussie’s say: Good on Ya, Mate!!!

Take care,

Michael
    No offence taken. Yea, had to lose the stache LOL! Life started at age 35 so much happier can't even begin to explain.

Dan

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Danny gets official thread spoiler rights. That is an awesome story, this country needs to hear more from folks like you. Enough of the TV weight loss shows, how about some real life stories with bikes, big hikes etc!

Make sure you let your kids know about it too, (not sure how old they were before the "transition"....) way too many fat kids out there, you can be a role model for their entire class, good on ya man, you look fantastic
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Great job to both of you! Isn't it amazing how much fitness can change your life?

I went from 275 to 180 through MTB, road cycling, the gym, and good nutrition. I can do things now that I only dreamed of when I was big!

No pics handy, but I'll try and post up later tonight.

Rookie
    No pictures, but i'll try. And I still have some years to come before I stop growing(or so they say).

Before: Was pretty chubby, snow skied and that was about it. I rode my brothers BMX (which he rarely rode) for transportation to and from the store and friends houses. Do not know ***** about bikes except changing tires/tubes and fine tuning V-brakes. Lazy.

After: A year older and wiser, skinnier, still ski, ride bike, dig dirt, hike, and occasionally work on cars. Me mum bought a bike for $5 at a garage sale. Supposedly $4-500 bike back when it was new, this thing had bald tires, you could SEE the nylon in the tires, and the knubbs on the side were mostly torn,single pivot, not sure on the length of the fork travel, looks to be 3 inches. Fix'd it for $75 at LBS(cables were POS [and still are], Missing cranks. Find a site that names the big manufactures of good bikes. Know a bit more about bikes. Come on here; realize WD-40 isn't oil for chain. Use all purpose oil (any tips for me?) Still don't have proper tools so I don't experiment.

Not really a good Before after, but I felt like posting in this thread
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    That is awesome.

Danny- this story is very inspiring.

Green Wrencher
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214
    That is awesome.

Danny- this story is very inspiring.

Yea more stories like Danny and others who made the "change" in their lives is amazing. The diets are not the only reason America fights obesity, it's our attitude in general. Quick fix...pill or some fad.

Exercise, eating better and getting back to a more "natural" existence change lives.

Thanks Danny and anyone else who is "alive" again. We'd love to hear more about it and others too... It makes the sport and the rides that much more important having you there!

100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Mar 2011
    Hell yeah. Major boost to you, Danny P.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thank you all for the kind words! My Wife and I spent a good portion of 2010 spreading the word about how, with hard work and determination anyone can fight the battle of obesity and win. We were featured on a TLC show called "How I Lost 100lbs" and were also on the day time show "The Doctors" and it's been a wild ride. Just wish people could get it. No one can make the change but themselves and that's the hardest part. Inspiration and Motivation helps but a person needs to make that commitment to change their life. Thin taste so much better

Dan

i be lurkin
    before

after
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by doesyourchainhanglow
    before

after
    wow, not only did you lose weight, but you also lost years.

mtbr member
    And eyebrows.

Rookie
    Don't feed the troll/
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by doesyourchainhanglow
    before

after
    wow, not only did you lose weight, but you also lost years.

mtbr member
    I would not even count that as a troll.

Also why the double with two replies in between? Fail.

mnoutain bkie rdier

Whoa!

Good work on the weight loss. That is incredible

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    For those who have been biking for a while, a few months, a year, or several years, post how biking has changed you or how your biking has changed over time. Have your slimmed down your beer belly? Did you start racing big time? Did you progress from riding tame XC stuff to crazy FR stuff? Did you lose a few teeth or gained some really bad scars from biking related accidents? Have you picked up a bad habit on spending all your money on bikes? Did you change your life to revolve around bikes, such as start your own bike business?

I'll start off (prob not gonna be impressive, since I only have 1 year of true experience really):

Before: I found real trails about 1 year ago. I used to live in FL and overseas and primarily used my bike to commute, but this is the fit time I felt a need for knobby tires on dirt. The trails in NY were still soggy after snow melt and that blizzard late February did a lot of damage to the trees/trails. I then got really into it when I rode with some guys from Fats in the Cats and got fired up for gnarly stuff by the guys at Beacon Cycles.

After: I moved next winter to SoCal and got introduced to a lot of great folks that love riding. Here's one of the biggest group rides I participated in.

Poker ride in the Cuyamacas? If so, was that the one where a ton of riders got attacked by angry wasps?

mtbr member
    I think this was '06 or '07. Just when I started riding, about 250 lbs.

Last week. About 200 now, lowest was 190 in 2009.

Aside from the obvious fitness/appearance changes, cycling has given me a passion. I had hobbies or interests but never something that I truly loved doing until I started riding again. Now I have a child and she's still a baby (not quite a year old yet) but I seat her on my road bike and push her around the house (with giggles and smiles the whole way), ring the bell on my single speed, let her touch the bike's, spin the cranks, etc. It's awesome. She smiles when she sees bicycles now and always watches people when she sees one on a bike. I'm going to get her a bike in the next few months and get her balance going. Hopefully she enjoys riding, and enjoys riding with me as she gets older. Then I'll really have it made.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Great progress! Keep it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice work everyone.
    Danny P is especially impressive, gotta feel like a second chance at life!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    that is absolutely inspiring ... awesome stuff!!

mtbr member
    Before:

After:

rollin
    Oct 2009
    Danny P,

I will hoist a beer to your accomplishment! But only one in spirit of this thread

Cheers,
    Chris

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokehaus
    I would not even count that as a troll.

Also why the double with two replies in between? Fail.
    computer fart.

mtbr member
    Wow, impressive work, you look great.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It looked good white.
    Darkearth

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This thread has been truly inspirational. Thank you everyone for sharing.

Ive been posting in a few other threads and asked questions about new bikes and such, but never why I truly needed one. That is for health. Right now Im about 265 and have a number of health problems, among those sleep apnea. Back in February I decided its time to do something about this. Im only 31, but feel much older because the lack of energy and how easily I get tired.

In March I bought a Giant Revel 2 from my LBS and started small amounts of riding. I work about 30 miles from where I live so instead of driving I would ride my bike to the bus stop about 2 miles away. Then when I got into the town where I work I would get off at a stop that was roughly 3 miles from my job and ride to work. Doesnt seem like much, but to me it was. I did the same thing coming home so I was doing roughly 10 miles per day, 4 days a week. Just working riding into my daily routine I had lost about 12 pounds in 3 weeks. This was done without any special dieting either.

I got really sick and had to stop riding for about a month, and that month seemed like it lasted forever. When I was able to get back on my bike I kept with the same routine, but also started riding on weekends. I was feeling great. Then, a couple of weeks later the unimaginable happened. Someone stole my bike from work. I was heartbroken, not cause to me paying $400+ for a bike is a lot for a bike (it is), or because the bike was my transportation, but because I wasnt going to be able to get another bike any time soon because of financial reasons so now my daily exercised that I really enjoyed was not going to be available to me.

So here I am, after saving some money, in the market for another bike. The pictures and stories listed just provide more inspiration to get another bike and get it soon. So thank you. You guys look awesome and I hope to achieve the same results.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cant wait to catch up to some of you guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    WOW, I thought I was doing good losing 12lbs.Keep it going!

mtbr member
    JognnyDangerX2, Good job on the life style change. You might want to get a "beater" bike for work if you can't bring your bike into a more secure location. Bike thieves seem to gravitate toward bikes which look cool. If you can make your's look boring, they may skip your bike.

Given enough determination, most any locking mechanism can be defeated. The goal is to deter thieves enough that they skip your bike since its more of pain to steal. You might want to consider using two separate and different types of locks. For example, use one cable or chain and another type of lock both securing the frame like the photo below. However, Ideally you'd be able put your bike in a secure location to prevent thieves from taking parts off of it should they be unwilling to put forth the effort to take the whole bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Before and after photos-goodlockjob.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    JognnyDangerX2, Good job on the life style change. You might want to get a "beater" bike for work if you can't bring your bike into a more secure location. Bike thieves seem to gravitate toward bikes which look cool. If you can make your's look boring, they may skip your bike.

Given enough determination, most any locking mechanism can be defeated. The goal is to deter thieves enough that they skip your bike since its more of pain to steal. You might want to consider using two separate and different types of locks. For example, use one cable or chain and another type of lock both securing the frame like the photo below. However, Ideally you'd be able put your bike in a secure location to prevent thieves from taking parts off of it should they be unwilling to put forth the effort to take the whole bike.
    Thanks for the info. Getting a nice, good lock, is high on my priority list once I get another bike. The good thing is two days after my bike was stolen my job security department had bike lockers installed that you need a code to access and are directly in view of a security camera. They are small and the bikes are completely concealed when inside. As of last week only 2 bikes were being locked up in there out of a possible 6. Once you put the bike in you can also chain it to supports on the inside of the locker. Its going to be as safe as you can get without having the bike inside with you.

The main reason I don't just get a cheaper bike for commuting is that when I get off the bus in town to go home I take a route that takes me on some off road trails. Although they are nothing very tough,I want something that is going to be pretty comfortable while on the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny P View Post
    The real journey to weight loss started in December of 09. Back in 2000 I weighed in close to 375lbs. At age 25 I had a list of complications one of them being sleep apnea. Lost about 100bs got off my breathing machine and was convinced that I was fine but still needing to lose additional weight. Time moved on my daughter was born in 05 and in December of 09 something hit me and 375lbs was staring to make its way back. Long story short My Wife and I made a commitment to ourselves and we were both done living the unhealthy lives we were living. Went to Weight Watchers and in September of 09 I had lost a total of 140lbs a grand total of 210lbs and my Wife lost 95lbs right by my side. Since than I have run a 1/2 Marathon, Climbed to the top of Mount Whitney and have just recently found the passion of riding. Mountain biking gives me all that I'm looking for. Time out doors, a great workout and that sense of accomplishment with the reward of bombing down the trail and I can't get enough of it
    WOW That is truly an inspirational story. Your family and friends must be very proud of you. Great job!

For me, I'm tall and skinny looking to lose just a couple of lbs off my not that awfully large beer belly. I just got into biking last year and my tranformation has really only been the bike, but it is kind of a cool one so I thought I'd share.

Before - craigslist special. 2002 Hardrock - great frame but the rest not so much. Very cheap old used bike to see if I wanted to ride more than once or twice.

After - Frankenbike - Same frame. Everything else is new (or used, but new to the bike). The picture doesn't highlight it, but I painted the frame camouflage by spraying layers of color over tape I cut into patterns. Alfine 8 speed internal gear hub transmission in the back. :-) Silent. Deadly. Fun as hell!

I guess the transformation is not only the bike, but my bike riding and building skills. I am so much healthier now than before. Also, I basically built this thing from scratch including building the rear wheel with the alfine hub. I certainly wouldn't call myself a master, but there's nothing I'm not willing to try to fix or build on a bike now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    DannyP, that is inspirational!

High Desert MTBer
    Danny P, let me join everyone and say you are an inspiration to all. Maybe your story will help to inspire some of the unfortunates who have been brought up to be obese, bombarded from all sides by pressure to eat crap... Talking of crap, Mr Sasquatch, it looks like your bike fell off a cliff, bounced off a green Kryptonite rock and landed in a vat of it... each to their own I guess, it is truly and remarkably unique...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thank you all again for the kind words. It feels good to truly feel good. It's one thing to lose the weight but another to continue to keep it off. Your life must change and there is never a quick fix. I am so happy I have found the passion of MTB'ing as it keeps me fit and is very rewarding, not to mention so F'n fun It's very satisfying to know that I can have an impact on a person's life by motivating them and inspiring them. Obesity is a tough battle that many face but can be overcome. YOU just need to be willing to change your life forever.

Dan

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Congratulations to you guys and your weightloss. Maybe by next year I can add pictures to this thread as well. Great job!!

-Shawn

mtbr member
    Fantastic Thread. I love hearing from people that have made such a great accomplishment. Thanks for sharing!
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice looking bike. Keep it up

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Thats me on the left side of the photo around 2001

and in 2011

Most of the weight drop is due to the bikes and eating better, the weight keeps going down, happiness and health goes up!

Members who have read this thread: 0