Barnett's- Mtbr.com

Thread: Barnett's

Monocog Masher

Barnett's

I am seriously considering attending the two week advance bike mechanic's course at Barnett's Institute. I don't work in a shop, but I want to feel completely confident that I can fix anything on my bike, and to be able to change out parts without having to take it to a shop.

Any of you guys been to the advance course (BRO) at Barnett's? Is it worth the time and money? Looking for opinions.

Thanks,

Merost in AZ

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Merost
    I am seriously considering attending the two week advance bike mechanic's course at Barnett's Institute. I don't work in a shop, but I want to feel completely confident that I can fix anything on my bike, and to be able to change out parts without having to take it to a shop.

Any of you guys been to the advance course (BRO) at Barnett's? Is it worth the time and money? Looking for opinions.

Thanks,

Merost in AZ

Hi Merost,
    I took the advanced course at Barnetts quite a few years ago, 1993...I think. I found that it was a great way do develop a base of knowledge with regards to how parts function in general. When I attended, the idea was to put forth a quantitative method of servicing and adjusting parts...of course those were the days of canti brakes, ano purp., and Rock Shox Mag forks...so things i'm sure have changed. I would highly reccomend it if you are interested in either starting to wrench in a shop or doing some tinkering on your own bike. I hope it goes without saying that you dont come out of the course as an expert tech. as there is not a whole lot that can substitute for time in the trenchs at your local shop.

Did I mention that there is some really good riding in the area as well? Make it a riding/schooling trip and it will be well worth it...

Chris

Members who have read this thread: 0