mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Backbone biking extravaganza!!

http://www.khsbicycles.com/07_tc_100_m_07.htm

Somehow I was able to ride it up part of the Santa Ynez Fire Road in southern california before having to dismount and walk it up the remaining mile to get to rideable territory. While the views were terrific (unobstructed santa monica coastline), my calves were taking a punishing and I was naive to think that this would be a cute little bike ride along well-groomed paths.

So after walking the bike up about 1000 vertical feet (phew), I got on and whoooaah! I have a death grip on the brakes all the way down the sometimes steep descents along the way. So what's all this funny noise coming from the brakes I ask. Aha! Maybe it's the bike begging for mercy (or a better rider!) as I skid through the loose rocks and sand on the trail. No matter...I keep going, thinking that the descent down Backbone will be worth it.

After getting to Trippett Ranch and--aww--walking the bike up another 500' to get to a much-appreciated downhill, I start the final ascent to the high terminus of the Backbone trail. At this point, the bike is catching a fair amount of dust and there are grinding noises coming from the chain: there's sand on it and in the casettes.

Okay, finally arrived at the trail. Gee this will be great! And I made sure to bring a solid fork so that it would be like sitting on a pillow the whole way down. The first half mile actually works out ok! I'm still on the bike. But after passing a flat section and beginning the real descent, my bike turns into a wiggle wagon. Suddenly the bike is eating bushes and I feel like I'm on one of those cheap hotel mattresses that takes quarters. Ouch. I've gone into a ditch. Now the brakes are locking up and I'm skidding on these great tires. After just two miles, I couldn't do any more and walked it down the trail, except in a few parts. The last 4 miles into Will Rogers were no treat.

But everything is better now. The kickstand has been deployed to indicate that the adventure is over--long over.

No, that's not phonetic
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Members who have read this thread: 0