Back in the saddle after 9 years- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Back in the saddle after 9 years

Well, I haven't been doing any proper mountain bike trail riding in about 9 years. The last trail I rode on was Quiet Waters Park in FL. A nice trail but no real descents and climbs. I used to ride two 5 mile loops without much technical difficulties and that was riding on the intermediate skill level there. I should also add that I am now 59 y.o. My bike is a 14 y.o. Cannondale SuperV700SX in great condition because its a low mileage bike. I've even had some compliments on the bike too.

I was 45 y.o. when I bought it and had never been on a mountain bike and hadn't been bike riding in quite some time. I did have am early 80's Panasonic road bike at the time.

So I recently moved in with my girlfriend and learned about a nearby trail called Big Creek in Roswell, GA. So I checked it out at the Trail section here. Found maps of it too and read the reviews. So I got the bug to ride again. I wanted to do it for exercise, the original reason I bought the bike and I hate gyms. (I've met other riders that feel same way).

So today was my third time at Big Creek. It has a nice beginner section with two intermediate sections and an advanced section. Well my first time out I did two beginner loops about 1.5 miles each. I sure was exhausted. Plus I was a bit nervous about being on an unfamiliar trail. But I liked the trail. The beginner seemed more like Intermediate compared to Quiet Waters too. plus this trail is twists and curves and descents and climbs, not steep but good enough for me. Plenty of riders like the trails too. So my second time out was just last Friday and I did one loop of beginner and the second was beginner and one intermediate section. Today I did the beginner and one intermediate section twice. My second loop was just the beginner loop. So today I did my most mileage which was about 5.6 miles. I do take a few rest stops when I ride the trails. But I do feel my stamina getting better. Because now that I'm home and showered up and relaxing, I don't feel as exhausted as I did on the two previous rides.

Plus I've been spending some money on the bike, new helmet, ergo hand grips, new wireless cyclocomputer ,
    new bike stand and a new Serfas True 1000+ lumen light for eventual night riding too.

And I get it to the trail on a 20 y.o. Rhode Gear bike carrier:

We get titles?
    Funny thing, I just came back to this site for the first time in a long while. So I'd welcome you back, but I'm kind of a newbie here too.
    I see you still have your maguras on that bike. I wonder if any of those magura cult guys are still here. I gave up on my magura claras a long long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by upNdown View Post
    I wonder if any of those magura cult guys are still here.
    I breeze through once in a while but it's 100% road bike riding for me now and has been for 5 years. I disbanded the Cult maybe 6 years ago. It was a hoot while it lasted and I got to deal with people from all around the world.

We get titles?
    Nice to see
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

mtbr member
    Welcome back to riding! There are plenty of nice trails north of Atlanta. Check out Chicopee, Yargo, and Blankets. Each offers beginner and intermediate trails of various length.

Big Creek is OK, but I think you'll find even more enjoyable trail systems if you look around.

mtbr member
    Aloha, welcome back! Your post is truly a passion post. It doesn't matter what you ride or how far/long you ride. It's the number of smiles that counts. I've gone through cycles of lots of riding to minimal riding. Mostly due to having people and places to ride. I never gave up hope and now am lucky to have a much larger fraternity around the island with people to ride with.

Lastly, great write up. Totally enjoyed reading it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I picked up my new to me 2009 Bauer on boxing day having not ridden in 20+ years. All the pain so far has been so worthwhile. Spending more quality time either with friends/family, or on a solo ride with my own thoughts. I've gone from nearly collapsing on a 3km flat ride to 18-20 km rides with moderate to steep climbs. I'm eating, sleeping and living far better than I was. I have one regret from all this, the fact I gave up riding to start.

mtbr member
    I just did some serious riding this Memorial Day weekend. It started Thursday evening when I decided to try a group ride with a local bike shop right near Big Creek. Of course all these riders were way more experienced than me. I was probably the oldest rider with the least riding experience and I have the oldest bike. (All that info is in the beginning of this thread). So the leader (the shop owner) stayed back with me as I told him I just don't have the stamina and will need to rest more often along the trail. So they took me through parts of the trail system I hadn't been on yet, mainly the advanced section. So all in all I had done about 6.2 miles of riding that evening. I was was exhausted. So I rested on Friday as I was too pooped to ride.

So I went out on Sat. morning. I did one loop of the beginner for a start. Beginner at this trail is almost like intermediate. When I got to the trail head there were some riders hanging out there. About 5 guys. They were Colombian. So we get into talking about bikes and the trail of course and they invite me along. Of course I had just told them about my Thursday's experience. So I rode with them and they wind up taking me through those same section. Fortunately one of them was a straggler too as he had a cheap bike. So it was easier to stay with them. At the end of my ride I managed a total of bout 6.4 miles.

Then I went out the next day, Sunday and rode by myself. I did three loops which consisted of the beginner (all trails start there) and one of the intermediate sub-loops which made about a 2.2 mile loop. I did that three times and ended with just a single beginner loop (1.3 miles). About 7.4 miles (forget the math, that's from my cyclocomputer.)

Then I thought I might go out again today (Memorial Day). I did one beginner/intermediate loop and just one beginner. I realized I was just too tired and achy to continue so I went home.

All in all I think that is the most mountain biking I have ever done in one weekend since I own the bike.
    Last edited by Zomby Woof (MCM700); 05-27-2014 at 03:46 AM.

9 lives
    Congratulations zomby!. Love how you regained your interest and are making the most of it . Always love hearing people finding their confidence and appreciation for life from within through hard work and dedication. Inspiring.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Power to ya, ZW--way to make it back! MTB'ing can be done even by us geriatrics, y'know? Hey, the winner is the one having the most fun.

If you want some additional risk, go demo a modern bike. That'll put shivers in your wallet!

Rubber down, happy trails!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    If you want some additional risk, go demo a modern bike. That'll put shivers in your wallet!
    I could have on Sunday. Trek was there with a trailer load of demo bikes to ride. But I didn't bother. Actually the only bike I've ever rode is my own.