Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

anyone using stainless steel chains?

878 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dir-T 
#1 ·
I keep looking at that Wipperman stainless steel chain in Performance (or Nashbar, whatever) and was wondering if anyone out there has one on their ride. For the price it had better last a loooong time. Are they more resistent to stretching and wear or do they just not rust? Are they much heavier than a regular chain?

#2 ·
Wipperman

I have been riding with a wipperman chain on both my Titus Racer-X and Quasi for a season. I can't say whether they last long but they don't rust. I think the biggest advantage is the chain link. It works so much faster and easier than SRAM it is well worth it. I won't even get into how much better the connection is than thos nasty shimano pins.

You can also get the wipperman chains in different colors if you want to spruce up the bike.

#3 ·
Something's got to give

Stainless steel has a higher carbon count than other steel, so it's harder. I wonder what the impact would be on the rest of the drivetrain, i.e., chainrings and cassette cogs. I'd rather replace a chain every season than worn rings or cassette.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.